Best Buy Employee Discount

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Anyone know what the typical markup on televisions is? Have a source at BB that might be able to "gift" me his discount which is COST + 5% on televisions typically. But what is cost? Anyone know?

Its a considerable discount, but he needs to be careful. They will not hesitate to fire someone if they find out they are using the discount for anyone but themselves.

they changed this years ago . it used to be worker + family

now its just the worker.

If you buy a big tv that needs to be delivered they will not deliver it to anyones house besides the worker.

Also if they find out the worker allowed someone else to use the discount they will be fired on the spot.

around 10 years ago my father used to let me use his discount

(tvs dont have that big of a discount maybe 20 to 50 bucks tops)

and was told they would be fired if they let anyone else use his card now

There are many variables that go into Discount, such as brand, model, and product. A brand new sony camera will have a different discount then a old sony mp3 player.

[quote name='slidecage']they changed this years ago . it used to be worker + family

now its just the worker.

[/QUOTE]

No its not.

Its worker + spouse + dependents under the age of 23 within the same house. The worker is required to be there to purchase all items, as in they are the ones that had to complete the transaction. But it doesn't have to be their money as I often get my wife to use my credit card to complete our transactions.

Bona fide gifts are also acceptable.

If its a Best Buy brand product, expect a hefty discount. The ones my wife scanned were usually about $200 cheaper.

[quote name='terribledeli']No its not.

Its worker + spouse + dependents under the age of 23 within the same house. The worker is required to be there to purchase all items, as in they are the ones that had to complete the transaction. But it doesn't have to be their money as I often get my wife to use my credit card to complete our transactions.

If its a Best Buy brand product, expect a hefty discount. The ones my wife scanned were usually about $200 cheaper.[/quote]

Ha, I was going to try to use it on a Plasma, but maybe that's obvious!!??:roll:

If a TV costs $2000, is it like 1600 or even less with the discount that's what I'm wondering.

Sounds like it's probably safer and cheaper and easier just to buy it on sale for all concerned...

[quote name='hunterrogue']Ha, I was going to try to use it on a Plasma, but maybe that's obvious!!??:roll:

If a TV costs $2000, is it like 1600 or even less with the discount that's what I'm wondering.

Sounds like it's probably safer and cheaper and easier just to buy it on sale for all concerned...[/quote]

No one here can tell you, since it depends on model and brand. You will need someone who you work with to check.

A friend that works at Best Buy told me that they get the highest profits (higher markup above cost) from the items that have a "Reward Zone" tag next to the price tag. So managers urge employees to push those items harder if the customer isn't sure what they want.

Also, depending on the store and the day, sometimes they really want to get a TV out the door just to make numbers. They will discount it to customers, within a reasonable amount (never below cost). That is why it is sometimes worth it to go at the end of the day, when the employees know if they haven't made enough sales yet.

I love knowing BB's insider secrets...

I remember my friend telling me about how all the electronics that best buy bought from people, people would bring them into the story and get credit for them, were just sold on ebay, don't remember the account name anymore tho.

[quote name='ighosty']I remember my friend telling me about how all the electronics that best buy bought from people, people would bring them into the story and get credit for them, were just sold on ebay, don't remember the account name anymore tho.[/QUOTE]

Found it!

Yeah I

[quote name='ighosty']No one here can tell you, since it depends on model and brand. You will need someone who you work with to check.[/quote]

Yeah I figured I'll do that and reply here when I get one

[quote name='ighosty']No one here can tell you, since it depends on model and brand. You will need someone who you work with to check.[/quote]

[quote name='hunterrogue']Yeah I [/quote][quote name='hunterrogue']Yeah I figured I'll do that and reply here when it's[/quote] ???

[quote name='terribledeli']No its not.

If its a Best Buy brand product, expect a hefty discount. The ones my wife scanned were usually about $200 cheaper.[/QUOTE]

they must changed it again then cause when it was a years ago my father was told this

[quote name='slidecage']they must changed it again then cause when it was a years ago my father was told this[/QUOTE]

Yeah or he was just sick of buying shit for you!

When my wife worked there the discounts were insane. There is actually an employee only website at JBL for home theatre. We picked up a $3500 speaker set up for ~$900 shipped. Then all the wiring and stuff I went to the store and purchased her discount was over 50%. The bannana clips for the back of the speakers were selling for $18 I bought for $3 with her discount.

I still tell her to go back (Shess still in retail at another company) as I want a few camera lenses etc. I would pay someone to give me the discount on those items.

[quote name='banpeikun']???[/quote]

Couldn't wait? HAHA ;-)

When I get one I'll post here and try to clarify this questions re: how much BB employee discounts on. Google hasn't really helped me figure it out either!

I worked at BB for over a year. You get 5% above what the store pays for the product. My brother just quit working there a couple months ago, and the only person that gets the discount is the worker himself. It doesn't really matter, because you could just pay for it with your money and give it to your friend/relative/whomever later. There's nothing the store could do about it, because you could just say you didn't want it, or got bored with it.

And yes, cable discounts are pretty insane, as well as pretty much anny accessory. I got an iPod case that originally retails for $30 for $10, and a $25 cable for $2.00. The discounts are best with Car Audio, Appliances, and Home Theater. The unfortunate part is that a lot of discounts in the other areas (such as CDs, Games, etc.), are near nonexistant or match the price you'd find online.

Honestly, the only reason I kept working at Best Buy was because of the discount. Otherwise, it was a pretty mundane place to be (especially when the only time you went there was to work).

[quote name='Karuto']I worked at BB for over a year. You get 5% above what the store pays for the product.[/quote]

This is the question...what does the store pay for a $2000 TV...500? 1000? More?

This is like some national security matter, no one seems to know :)

[quote name='hunterrogue']This is the question...what does the store pay for a $2000 TV...500? 1000? More?

This is like some national security matter, no one seems to know :)[/QUOTE]

Like others have said before, it depends on the particular television!

Some companies, you don't get as big of a discount (coughSONYcough), while with others, you can get a $3000 tv for like $1600. It all depends.

A.K.A. There is no definitive answer.

[quote name='Dunvane']Like others have said before, it depends on the particular television!

Some companies, you don't get as big of a discount (coughSONYcough), while with others, you can get a $3000 tv for like $1600. It all depends.

A.K.A. There is no definitive answer.[/quote]

ROFL! I know it depends on the TV, how about a for instance for someone who is a BB employee? That's what the thread was for, any BB employees who actually purchased televisions ;-) Guess none of them are CAGs :roll:

But this actually answers my question more so thank you!! Still have to catch up with my "source". Got my eye on a Panasonic 50" Plasma (drools)

You'd get a big discount for Best Buy-owned brands, such as Dynex or Insignia, but don't expect as big a leap for Sony or Toshiba brands. Either way, you'll get a nice chunky discount. My friend saved hundreds, maybe even thousands, on his 50" plasma.

Ok, lts say I wanna purchase a sharp aquos 46" lcd tv model number lc46d64u. Best buy is currently selling it for $2069.99. What would be the cost for the employee?

There are a lot of situations where TV's and such barely sell above cost this time of year. That Sharp was going for 1399 or 1299 last week at CC, so I would have gotten it then. I believe it's 1699 at dell.com, which is going to probably be better than any BB discount. If not damn close.

edit: looks like it's back up to 1899.

[quote name='hunterrogue']ROFL! I know it depends on the TV, how about a for instance for someone who is a BB employee? That's what the thread was for, any BB employees who actually purchased televisions ;-) Guess none of them are CAGs :roll:

But this actually answers my question more so thank you!! Still have to catch up with my "source". Got my eye on a Panasonic 50" Plasma (drools)[/QUOTE]

The 50" 1080p plasma(z700) costs roughly 2300, the 720 is roughly 1400 +/- 100 bucks. It really varies from maker to maker, and to how long the particular TV has been out on the market. Once list starts to drop on an item, cost usually does as well.

I tryed getting the sharp 46 inch on BF from CC for 1300. I stood in line for 6 hours just to find out they ran out. I was pissed!!

Alright his should put an end to this thread LOL bear with me because I'm typing this on my touch so if it seems short I'm sorry. I am currently an employee of bby with intentions of quiitting soon so I don't give a damn about if you rip them off or not. The discount is fve percent over what the company pays. The only way to check the discount is to type the seven digit sku. Found on the card in front of the product. And then find an empty computer that is used as a register and hit f4 then type 1 enter and them followed by the sku. Obviously if you are not an employee than you can't use it, but if you haggle with a manager you can usually get them to drop the price to around there, but never below. The best way to use these registers without suspicion is to go to appliances and ask the employee and tell them you work at a best buy "just say store near by". Then you"ll have the price and the employee won't bother you. Then just talk to a manager because believe me it would be extremely difficult to convnce a stranger employee to buy it for you

Well, a few considerations to make.

I'm in the market for a 32 or 37 so I was checking the prices.
If you want to see which model these specifically are, just copy the item # and paste it on Best Buy search at BestBuy.com-

Westinghouse 32" 8527196 $518.56
Sony Bravia 32" 8473653 $672.16
LG 32" 720P 8258912 $643.05
Toshiba 32" 8247523 $661.23
Philips 32" 8251401 $646.87
Westinghouse 42" 1080P 8386285 $989.99

In house Brands - These are Best Buy in house brands that are made with spare parts from more expensive TV brands. For example, the current Insignia 32" model is Sony made.
Dynex 37" 720P 8454978 $640.12
Insignia 37" 720P 8274672 $664.37
Insignia 720P 42" 8463101 $813.24
Insignia 1080P 42" 8463076 $868.33

The Samsung 61" DLP 1080P, whatever the retail price is, subtract $900 off it and that's how much it is for BBY employees. The 73" Mitsubishi DLP screens are both $1000 off for us.

Remember, this information is completely and utterly useless for you unless you either work at Best Buy or know someone that works at Best Buy personally that's willing to risk their job to buy it for you. PM's to me asking me to get things for you will lead to ignore list. Even if I was quitting I wouldn't buy anything for anyone because you CAN be criminally prosecuted for it, it's considered fraud.

A few other things:
Speaker mounts, speaker wires, cables, accessories, speakers themselves, amplifiers, car stereos, paper, blank recording media. All those things are pretty much half off at the minimum.

I got an 87 dollar speaker mount set for $12. I got a bookshelf speaker system for my home theater with a subwoofer for $220 that's normally $499.

wow from the sound of the discounts I need to get a part time job at best buy. Wonder if I can just work there 1 or 2 days a week on my 3 days off from my full time job.

[quote name='sendme']wow from the sound of the discounts I need to get a part time job at best buy. Wonder if I can just work there 1 or 2 days a week on my 3 days off from my full time job.[/quote]

Yes indeed.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can just apply and get a job there and have the discount from day one?

I would just show up to the first day of work, then pick out what I wanted, get my discount, and tell 'em "I QUIT BEEYOTCH!"

I'm pretty sure they have some sort of policy were you have to stay X amount of days before you get the employee discount so people cant take advantage of it.

[quote name='Malik112099']the discounts arent that great on the stuff you would really want....if you know someone that works there you should tell them to invite you to the best buy auction site

http://bestbuy.dtdeals.com[/quote]

What's on the auction site?

Yeah, I work there right now and as everyone has already said, TV's get pretty good discounts (Insignia, and Westy's probably the best, LG is not too bad either)

Open items are really big too because most BB's are wanting to get rid of those quickly so you can find some really good deals on those, regardless if you're an employee.

Movies and games depend, most games I've gotten about $10 off on, however if it's on sale for slightly cheaper (BF Sales and etc.) we don't get jack off them. Movies range from $5-10 also I would say, with box sets of course getting slightly more off.

[quote name='sasukekun']I'm pretty sure they have some sort of policy were you have to stay X amount of days before you get the employee discount so people cant take advantage of it.[/quote]
If you're a seasonal worker, the discount is immediate. Otherwise, I believe you have to work there for 30 days first.

Unless, of course, policy has changed since I worked there last Summer (2006).

discount varies by item class

my kdl40xbr4 cost 2500 retail...i paid 1750
1000 series monster cable 130 retail...i paid 45

i will tell you that if you purchase something with funds other than a credit card in your name or cash, then you will be fired and the item can't exceed your lifestyle. in other words if you're a part time college student working there, no way in hell you can afford to drop 2-4 grand on a pioneer elite cash.

[quote name='Twilight Wolf']discount varies by item class

my kdl40xbr4 cost 2500 retail...i paid 1750
1000 series monster cable 130 retail...i paid 45

i will tell you that if you purchase something with funds other than a credit card in your name or cash, then you will be fired and the item can't exceed your lifestyle. in other words if you're a part time college student working there, no way in hell you can afford to drop 2-4 grand on a pioneer elite cash.[/QUOTE]

That is a bunch of BS.
Anyone getting fired is abusing the employee discount by selling the crap they buy at employee prices and selling it on ebay/etc . NOT because they used cash to buy a expensive/high end item.
Total BS here.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']That is a bunch of BS.
Anyone getting fired is abusing the employee discount by selling the crap they buy at employee prices and selling it on ebay/etc . NOT because they used cash to buy a expensive/high end item.
Total BS here.[/quote] you obviously possess the inability to read...i'll explain it in layman's terms. any form of payment that isn't in the employee's name or cash, can get you fired. buying anything on a parent's or friend's credit card, check, or even a store voucher in someone else's name will get you fired.

and the lifestyle statement still stands.

sometimes i forget retards still roam the net

"buying anything on a parent's or friend's credit card, check, or even a store voucher in someone else's name will get you fired."

More BS here. I like how you are using "can" and "will" and both uses are BS.

What isnt BS is
An employee will be fired if it is proven that they are abusing the discount.

Can it be abused in the ways you mentioned above? Yes it can.
But it is in no way grounds for termination simply for using the above methods to use your employee discount as you posted above.

Now go cry in a corner.

Oh i did have to edit this as first i read your post as saying an employee couldnt use cash.
My mistake on that one.

bread's done
Back