DOA ultimate sucks ass -- first impressions from a diehard fan

minx

CAGiversary!
I'll start off by commenting on the packaging, since the shoddy packaging released the first disk during shipping allowing it to rattle around the box and scratch itself.

Next I'll comment on the fact that every other command from the exercise list in disk two's sparring mode is wrong. The manual in the box appears to have the correct moves so far, but it's a pain in the ass trying to balance the manual because every move listed have to be checked against it for accuracy before executing.

Making matters worse is the fact that the timing has been sped up for the correct entry of moves. Meaning if you don't enter the button presses extraordinarily quickly and precisely timed, the game will either execute the wrong move or execute no move at all due to a delay during animation sequences for entering individual moves. This was not a problem in the previous releases of the DOA series, so it's extraordinarily frustrating to me as a veteran of the series. Now theoretically, most people subconsciously adjust their timing once they realize what doesn't work anymore, which is what I think happened since none of the reviews are mentioning this; but as a disabled person who absolutely cannot change their timing to be faster, little tweaks like this are extremely noticeable.

The collision detection for the graphical display of the characters has been shot to hell. In an especially comical moment, one of the girls while standing close to her mirror image began to have sex with the other characters leg with her own. One of those things that has to be seen to be believed! You can see this yourself by standing characters wearing distinctively different colors together and letting the idle animation takeover.

The customization menu in disk two is very cranky about actually customizing anything outside of story mode. Whenever you try to, it makes threats about not allowing you to participate in world rankings.

The opening movie is gorgeous, and very poorly translated. Of course, I admit part of the problem was I couldn't hear any of dialogue in many places due to the God awful remixed Arrowsmith dream on playing in the background, but what I could hear {and understand} was full of half assed translation compromises the lowest common denominator of intelligence. I can read a lot better than I can understand the audibly spoken language, so I may go back to the opening movie later on with Japanese subtitles on, but right now I just don't have the patience for it.

At least one of the costumes unlockable is broken {or very poorly designed}. No. 2 and No. 3 for ayane are identical on disk two. I'm not talking about a mere palette swap, but rather an identical costume that has an identical palette swap for the second player. Considering No. 3 is unlockable, this is extraordinarily disappointing.

Now I love team ninja, and generally will buy anything with their name on it, but short of a really good deal I'm going to hesitate to buy any more upcoming releases from them blind. This lack of quality control is unacceptable no matter how pretty the game is otherwise :whistle2:(

these games are good but they are not graohically improved. They look exactly like the snes versions of the game. Now if they gave the games graphics like street fighter alpha 3, I would buy it in a flash!!!

[quote name='davidflecha17']these games are good but they are not graohically improved. They look exactly like the snes versions of the game. Now if they gave the games graphics like street fighter alpha 3, I would buy it in a flash!!![/quote]

The hell? I think you didn't read the title and I can only hope you're responding to the Street Fighter comment, not the DoA one.

I've been informed that the best translation ever, "Everything Is My Bogus!" has been ruined. DOAU can go to hell for that alone, if nothing else.

I only played the demo, and I thought it was rather easy.....of course, it was a demo. The garphics looked great, but the gameplay was just a fighting game. Didn't like MK:Deception, sorta liked Def:Jam FFNY....so, I passed on this. Guess I just don't like fighting games much anymore....

[quote name='minx']
...an especially comical moment, one of the girls while standing close to her mirror image began to have sex with the other characters[/quote]

Sex is a good thing.

All of your complaints are trivial. The gameplay itself is fantastic. Have you even played online, Minx? The experience is incredible. Well done again, Team Ninja. I would discount this "review" and go pick up the game.

I reviewed the retail version, and I didn't like it that much. Online was very laggy. I think the reason it got such good scores is that, for reviewing pre-released games, you have to make special accomodations for online -- such as playing one-on-one with the developers. This doesn't give you the full experience, so most reviewers didn't see how lame DOA Ultimate's online really was.

well, looking at the games flaws (which I have a hard time finding) then yes... it is a bad game.

but looking at all the games good aspects (and they far outweigh the bad, since the bad has no weight) it is an amazing game.

jeeze, you didn't even say a single good thing about the game... only the very small tiny miniscule problems... a costume does not make or break a game as well as a manual....

this is obviously a black and white review, and all I see is black... with bounce.

Meh. I like Ultimate, but yeah minx, most of your points are valid. I can't stand playing on XBL, becuase other peoples' connections lag like hell while I am playing them. I've always thought DOA as a "casual" fighter, and if you think of it in this aspect, it is a good game. If I want a technical fighter, I'll take my SF or VF any day...

I really think the whole concept of reward in this game is bad. It's monotonous to play story mode over and over, and since I didn't get DOA3/DOAXV (and don't plan to, not much $$ in me wallet), the survival mode route is shot. Plus, costumes don't really do much for me, I'm used to getting like 5 different costumes depending on which button I pressed to select my character (ala Street Fighter)...

Online can be fun if you find someone of your level, and if it doesn't lag. Overall, a nice game, but totally undeserving of an "Ultimate" in its name (maybe as a PH it'd make sense to me, cause VF4 Evo was basically VF4 re-released as a GH with some extras).

DOA is a fun fighting game if you don't take it too seriously. The online is great if there isn't any lag. V4 is a much better choice for hardcore fighting game fans.

DOA fighting system:

Punch beats Grab
Grab beats Counter
Counter beats Punch

Remember those 3 simple rules and you're a DOA pro.

Let me put it another way, This game is on sale at Best Buy for $30 till saturday. Is it worth $30?

I like to hear what people say....

Well I got it for $25, but I haven't tried it yet. Damn good price, especially for a 2-disc new release.

I didn't find a standard Gamer GGC at Best Buy, they had a XBOX gift card, with a $5 off coupon any game or accessory 29.99 or more. I'm sure this must have been covered elsewhere, but its the first time I saw this newer card.

[quote name='Xevious']Let me put it another way, This game is on sale at Best Buy for $30 till saturday. Is it worth $30?

I like to hear what people say....[/quote]

Do you have Soul Caliber 2, Guilty Gear, Capcom vs. SNK 2, and DoA3 already? If not, there are at least 4 better fighting games for less money you could pick up.

If you want to fight and beat the shit out of people with blood ad nauseum then get another fighting game. I think DOA is a fun fighting game with some ingenious ideas and great graphics. It's definitely worth $30, imo, and after seeing an interview with the creator, I have a greater appreciation for the game and Team Ninja, Tecmo.

If you play any other fighting games out there... and compare it to DOA ultimate... it's one of the best outthere... it's just all out fun... no game is perfect... only if it was made by GOD.. but ur comments is just nit picking...

and SEX SELLS!!! YEAH!!!!

bread's done
Back