Street Dates Explained?

aallman72

CAG Veteran
I have heard mentioned on the CAGCast from Wombat as I recall, that street dates are crap and if a game is ready and in the store you should be able to buy it. And for the most part I agree... But such is not the world that we live in.

Let's take the latest hot new video game "You Put your Dick in It II: Electric Boogaloo" and three stores for example:

1) Walmart, ToysRus, and Mom&Pop Local Retailer.

2) Now all things being equal, all three stores would have "YPyDii2" available for sale first thing Monday morning at 8am.

3) However Walmart has a nifty new Teleportation delivery system and their main shipping hub is next-door to the disc pressing plant for "YPyDii2" so the minute after the discs are shipped Walmart can get them on the shelf.

4) ToysRus in not so fortunate because they use a flying Giraffe based delivery system which takes between 2-3 days to arrive at the store.

5) Mom&Pop Local Retailer are even less fortunate because Pop has to drive his '85 Nissan Stanza up to Toronto and pick up his shipment himself and takes about 1 week to get there and back.

So as you can see Walmart, if left to thier own devices, will crush and destroy all competition like a Republican President looking for more oil.

Hence the "Street Date" concept was born.

But like kids in a playground the big kids will kick sand in the faces of the smaller kids everytime so they can have first go on the tire swing.

Ok this may be exaggerated but I think you get the point. Discs cannot arrive at all the stores at the same time so in all fairness they all must be made available at the same time.

Except the big kids will still kick you in the NizKnacks.

-aallman

great post, all really good points
[quote name='BullzEyE']i get the game like a week before its release i work at gamestop as a manager[/quote]are you gunna be getting YPyDii2 a week before it comes out? :D

I think sales numbers also plays into it. They want maximum exposure in the shortest window of time as possible to make the numbers look good.

bread's done
Back