SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
On teh phone wit gamestop.... on hold. This guy sounds Mexican, so he prolly bought all the copies of KOF... Mexicans luv dat SNK.

But stereotypes are wrong.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I thought it was a reference to Metallica.

Anyway, I've got to finish watching Kashimashi.[/quote]

Kashimashi was an interesting show. I enjoyed it. Are you watching the DVDS or fansubs? I saw the fansubs. Last fansub show I have seen IIRC.

i just started initial d its pretty cool so far. ive got alot of anime ive "collected" that i need to watch. still need to finish trigun as well as devil may cry. wish i could find the zoids series as well as find love hina again in japanese with english subtitles.

Can someone link me to an Akira DVD that isn't fucked up / doesn't suck dog dick?

thnz

[quote name='Brak']Can someone link me to an Akira DVD that isn't fucked up / doesn't suck dog dick?

thnz[/QUOTE]
Wait for the Blu-Ray release.

[quote name='Brak']Can someone link me to an Akira DVD that isn't fucked up / doesn't suck dog dick?

thnz[/QUOTE]

What was wrong with the DTS disc?

[quote name='Chacrana']What was wrong with the DTS disc?[/QUOTE]
I don't know anything about the Akira DVDs available.

I heard some were cut, I heard that the dubbed version sucks, etc., etc.

Just wanted to know which one has the truest experience.

I'll just wait for the Blu-Cheese one.

thnz[/QUOTE]
Unpossible.

Akira is AIDS.

[quote name='Brak']I don't know anything about the Akira DVDs available.

I heard some were cut, I heard that the dubbed version sucks, etc., etc.

Just wanted to know which one has the truest experience.

I'll just wait for the Blu-Cheese one.[/QUOTE]

The Blu-Cheese one might not be the best option, honestly. The release date's up in the air in Japan and there's no release date for the US right now, but more importantly, the company handling the Blu-Cheese is Bandai Visual, who is charing $80 for Blu Ray anime movies. Yeah, $80. By comparison, you can get the DTS DVD for like... $15 probably. And the DTS edition is excellent -- the sound is really good (provided that you're listening to the Japanese DTS track), the video quality is really good, and there's no cuts or anything.

[quote name='Chacrana']The Blu-Cheese one might not be the best option, honestly. The release date's up in the air in Japan and there's no release date for the US right now, but more importantly, the company handling the Blu-Cheese is Bandai Visual, who is charing $80 for Blu Ray anime movies. Yeah, $80. By comparison, you can get the DTS DVD for like... $15 probably. And the DTS edition is excellent -- the sound is really good (provided that you're listening to the Japanese DTS track), the video quality is really good, and there's no cuts or anything.[/quote]

Wow.

Bandai Visual must think their shit doesn't stink.

Liquid, jaykrue, I've got great news. The episode 8 torrent of Moonlight Mile has finally finished downloading, so I can finally work on sending the 12 episodes over to you guys. Before I do that, does anybody know of a good site for sending large files to other people?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Liquid, jaykrue, I've got great news. The episode 8 torrent of Moonlight Mile has finally finished downloading, so I can finally work on sending the 12 episodes over to you guys. Before I do that, does anybody know of a good site for sending large files to other people?[/QUOTE]
Bittorrent would be the best way for something as large as a series. (It's a couple of gbs, right?)

[quote name='Liquid 2']Bittorrent would be the best way for something as large as a series. (It's a couple of gbs, right?)[/quote]
About 2 GBs. I haven't uploaded any torrents before, so is there a way I could do that without going through a website?

[quote name='Apossum']It's been about 2 years since I've seen it, but
it wasn't that kid in the...mental hospital, was it? or was it an orphan home...something different? :lol: The one who they offered work to...

doesn't matter so much though. What I liked was how he was a mythological figure to the public, complete with copy cats, rumors etc. It really took the show outside of that insulated special ops setting and made it feel like Section 9 was part of the world they were in.[/quote]
No, it wasn't either of them. The one they offered work to was the one that made the Laughing Man popular in the first place as he was the first copycat but the originator was never found.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']About 2 GBs. I haven't uploaded any torrents before, so is there a way I could do that without going through a website?[/quote]

Hmmm, I don't know any sites that would be willing to transfer something that big for free other than bittorrent or other p2p. Deadfrog is a decent tracker & I have a speedy connection so if you don't mind seeding for a bit, that's cool. It's not as high priority a priority anymore as I'm a bit backlogged so I don't mind waiting for it to come out on r1 dvds if seeding isn't an option for you.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']About 2 GBs. I haven't uploaded any torrents before, so is there a way I could do that without going through a website?[/quote]

Maybe you could try megaupload?

[quote name='jaykrue']Hmmm, I don't know any sites that would be willing to transfer something that big for free other than bittorrent or other p2p. Deadfrog is a decent tracker & I have a speedy connection so if you don't mind seeding for a bit, that's cool. It's not as high priority a priority anymore as I'm a bit backlogged so I don't mind waiting for it to come out on r1 dvds if seeding isn't an option for you.[/quote]
That's why I was thinking of a using a file transfer site like I did for an episode of Bleach I sent to you before. I don't need to do it all in one group if you guys are up for it.

It's not that I don't want to seed, it's just that I'd rather give it to you guys directly than just upload it to a site and seed it if there aren't other options. If I'm going to seed it, I'll need a site that doesn't require me to do anything fancy with it and doesn't restrict membership.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's why I was thinking of a using a file transfer site like I did for an episode of Bleach I sent to you before. I don't need to do it all in one group if you guys are up for it.

It's not that I don't want to seed, it's just that I'd rather give it to you guys directly than just upload it to a site and seed it if there aren't other options. If I'm going to seed it, I'll need a site that doesn't require me to do anything fancy with it and doesn't restrict membership.[/quote]

hmm, that's fine too. Sendspace maybe? I think rapidshare & megaupload have size restrictions if you don't have a membership (though I don't know if sendspace has restrictions as well).

Watched 12 episodes of 2nd Gig today... so far. This show benefits from marathoning even more than I originally thought. This is definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Kashimashi was an interesting show. I enjoyed it. Are you watching the DVDS or fansubs? I saw the fansubs. Last fansub show I have seen IIRC.[/QUOTE]

I'm watching the DVDs. At 15 bucks each, I just had to get them. Especially since I love the manga so much.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Wow.

Bandai Visual must think their shit doesn't stink.[/QUOTE]

I was once so pissed off at BV that I almost got myself banned on the animeondvd.com forums. Long story short, (spoiler is very offensive)
I wished Osama Bin Laden would've flown a plane into the BV headquarters.
Then I edited out the stuff and said I was a bad person. Mod was like "LULZ, I can still see your original post. Shame on you."

I'm still pissed that BV is handling the new UC CGI Gundam OAVs. That's 100 bucks for six episodes. WTF.

[quote name='Chacrana']The Blu-Cheese one might not be the best option, honestly. The release date's up in the air in Japan and there's no release date for the US right now, but more importantly, the company handling the Blu-Cheese is Bandai Visual, who is charing $80 for Blu Ray anime movies. Yeah, $80. By comparison, you can get the DTS DVD for like... $15 probably. And the DTS edition is excellent -- the sound is really good (provided that you're listening to the Japanese DTS track), the video quality is really good, and there's no cuts or anything.[/QUOTE]

wat

$80? i mean...how much can animation really benefit from high definition, besides being a little sharper/more colorful? (which is cool, but not $80 cool.)

BV is the same company that's been releasing those 60 minute Gunbuster 2 DVDs for $40 a pop, so... yeah.

That's why I'm tempted to get GITS on Blu Ray, but I can't quite justify buying it yet.

[quote name='Apossum']wat

$80? i mean...how much can animation really benefit from high definition, besides being a little sharper/more colorful? (which is cool, but not $80 cool.)[/QUOTE]
Anime in HD looks fuckin' great.

Definitely not worth $80 though.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Anime in HD looks fuckin' great.

Definitely not worth $80 though.[/QUOTE]

i'm sure it does, but you aren't going to see new details or anything like you would with a live action flick.

[quote name='Apossum']i'm sure it does, but you aren't going to see new details or anything like you would with a live action flick.[/QUOTE]
Incorrect.

The difference is even more obvious, I'd say.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Incorrect.

The difference is even more obvious, I'd say.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, even in the case of GITS which doesn't benefit particularly much from HD, there's an obscene amount of new detail you can see. Now, with most older TV shows and a lot of newer ones as well, you probably wouldn't see anything new, but movies seem to have a lot of shit to be discovered.

It's like a treasure hunt!

interesting. seemed logical that with animation, what's there is there.

[quote name='Apossum']interesting. seemed logical that with animation, what's there is there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. But then I thought about how much detailed shit goes into older cel animation and then it sorta made sense.

Whats even more sad is that we are lucky compared to japan. One Bandai Visual OVA over there is $92.63. Even the Sony ones are $73.73 (compared to $40 here).

Boxsets are even worse, the Air TV Blu-ray set costs $268.25. The Utawarerumono Box Set costs $450. Maybe if it was Blood+ or Monster, but $450 for a shitty show like Uta?

HD does make a huge difference for anime. I watched a 1080p rip of Howl's Moving Castle and there was so much more detail compared to the dvd version. The backgrounds in the Shinkai OVA's (Place Promised In Our Early Days, Voices of a Distant Star, 5 cm per second) look almost real in high def.

It will be a while before I gt an HDTV. I want one, but I have other things I need to spend money on right now. I just hate that there are competing formats in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray because that contributes to higher costs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I just hate that there are competing formats in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray because that contributes to higher costs.[/quote]

Someone didnt pay attention in economics class...

The only time you have something being of a higher cost is when its a monopoly. DVD's were a monopoly, they could've charged $100 a disc and you'd have to pay because there was no other format you could get it on (uness for whatever reason it was on VHS).

With Blu-Ray and HD-DVD at war, the only way they can truly beat eachother is with better catalouges and lower prices. Now, when Blu-Ray win the war, or TotalHD's go into mass production, the prices will most likely go up since they'll be the only choice.

[quote name='Chacrana']Finished 2nd Gig last night. Man, what a great show. Definitely a worthy weekend marathon show.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll like Solid State Society a lot too. Great stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back