Halo 2 - Overhyped?

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Ok, after my first semi-full day playing the game yesterday, I feel that Halo 2 was a bit overhyped.

To me, it played very much like the first Halo....it basically seems like Halo 1.5. Graphics are about the same.

Multiplayer is fun...I only played on LIVE actually, only with a few minutes in single player. Some of my friends even said "They Ruined Halo". I wouldn't say they ruined it, but it does feel a bit different. I HATE the shields aspect of the game. I love having a health bar in the old Halo. We always played LINKED games with NO shields. Also, the jumping seems like you FLOAT now.....weeeeeeeeeeeee

Now, I'm not saying I DON'T like Halo2, but it does seem like it was overhyped. Maybe my friend did not like it on a 20" TV....I was using a 55" Widescreen, so things can be seen easier on LIVE.

Well, I guess I've heard mixed reviews. Maybe it will take time to warm up to the game...but it basically seems like a GOOD FPS, and that's about it. Who knows, maybe Doom3 will be just as good on the XBOX

with all the excitement over this game, it would have been impossible for it NOT to have been overhyped. i've played about 2 hours of single player, and while it is good, it's not the best thing ever.

Live is where its at for me in theis game. I must've played 8 hours of Live games since Mon night, and it is a real blast! If I have bought this game and did not have Live, I would probably have been slightly disappointed, but as it stands I am really enjoying it.

There's already a overhyped Halo 2 thread in the appropriate forum for XBox. This really isn't a review.

[quote name='TheRaven']There's already a overhyped Halo 2 thread in the appropriate forum for XBox. This really isn't a review.[/quote]

maybe its a review of 20 other halo threads :?

I think a lot of people forget that there is a storyline that they are trying to progress.

**SPOILER**

The fact that you can play as the Covenant is a very cool feature to me.
I don't understand why people are upset that it looks and feels like Halo 1. It's SUPPOSED to be like it. If Microsoft had changed everything, people would complain that it's nothing like the first one. I don't think it was overhyped by any company, just by fans with unreal expectations.

Yes, it does look and feel like Halo1, which is good....but some feel that they changed it just enough not to feel like Halo1, just ruining it....who knows. That is what some of my friends say....I like it, although it's nothing AMAZING. I mean, I had just as much fun playing Rainbow Six on LIVE

[quote name='doubledown']
To me, it played very much like the first Halo....it basically seems like Halo 1.5. Graphics are about the same.

I HATE the shields aspect of the game. I love having a health bar in the old Halo. We always played LINKED games with NO shields. Also, the jumping seems like you FLOAT now.....weeeeeeeeeeeee[/quote]

So you hated the sheilds in the first one, did you expect them to get rid of them in the second? I personally love the sheild it atleast gives you a fighting chance when you are hit from behind unlike other games like ghost recon where one bullet can kill. If I wanted real life war sims I would just go over to Iraq.

Really how much better can the graphics get? And if they pushed the graphics to the max would you then complain that developers only care about graphics not game play?

How about this, Halo 3- it is an action rpg/turn based card game where you have to dance on the DDR pad and enter complex button combinations to a beat to make master cheif move around a tactis style board.

Come on, people if you expected anything other than a good FPS on XBL then you are just retarded.

the game certainly was overhyped but I think it comes very close to living up to it

The graphics are so much better that the 1st one, the control is tight, the music is fantastic, and I love being able to play as the covenant, that plasma sword is one badass weapson

I really like the shield aspect of Halo2, it's more realistic IMO. Once that shield is depleted you are vulnerable. The game has gotten a lot of hype, but so does every big game. I haven't played single player yet, but playing online is awesome. The way Bungie has done the rankings and pairings is very nice.

great video game franchises who put out a new part of the franchise are always plagued with the whole "its not the same they changed" syndrom. The same goes with music, whenever a band puts out a new album, hardcore fans of that abnd always say they sold out cause it doesnt sound the same. Halo 1 is a great game, halo 2 is a great game.

I didn't mean to start a debate...I'm just saying that people who LOVED Halo1, didn't really like Halo 2. I for one, think it is good. I mean, it's a FPS. A good one at that. The shields are annoying because they regenerate rather quickly. The first I like better in that aspect.

I'm not sure why my friends didn't like it....they just said that "they ruined Halo" I like it, I had fun....I don't think it's thebest thing since slived bread, but it is fun.

I honestly think it plays about the same (although I haven't touched Halo1 sfor over a year I bet) Controls seem good, graphics same to better. Maybe it was a little faster...which starts to get into UNREAL status, and that came sucked on LIVE.

I know he complained about only seeing a bunch of big icons over peoples heads in games....but, this can relate to the size of the TV you are playing on.

oh well...I like it.

i think the online portion of the game is good but did anyone else think they slowed down the vehicles?

[quote name='whiteboy']i think the online portion of the game is good but did anyone else think they slowed down the vehicles?[/quote]

It does seem that some of the vehicles are a little slower IMO. They did, however, change the physics for some of the vehicles. You don't fishtail as bad when you're in a ground vehicle.

I thought the same thing when I played through the first level, but as soon as I landed on Earth...OMG its freaking amazing, the levels are soo freaking awesome, hiding from snipers in rooftops and windows, running down people with a warthog, its simply just amazing. Keep playing single player and hopefully you will see what im talking about...

[quote name='whiteboy']i think the online portion of the game is good but did anyone else think they slowed down the vehicles?[/quote]

I love the little Turbo Boost in the Ghost (Left Trigger) that is pretty sweet, I do like that you can survive a hit from a vehicle when you are on foot. But I am not sure how I like that you can get into some vehicles while playing capture the flag, when you have the flag. But I may only dislike it since the other team did this and my team never did.

Single player was OK, so far....

Multiplayer is what will sell 5 million copies though. (Once people realize that the white button is team chat....lol)

I too think it was a bit overhyped, but I think most games these days prefer to overhype than underhype. Overhyping spreads interest and first month sales are extremely important to publishers. Think of all the games that have been underhyped, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil... curiously both ubisoft games that I site, but they don't get the sales that a quality title should. However, overhyping a game leads to enormous preordering and early sales i.e. Fable and Halo 2. Both really good and entertaining games, both which shot for the moon and got 3/4 of the way there. The problem with overhyping is that you start to imagine what is there and what else you'd want, but that is a benefit for developers to expand what is next. Remember that the game industry evolves slowly, much like any other technology building on the steps of their forerunners.

The vehicles do seem slower, but I think that was to make boarding more accessible.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Single player was OK, so far....

Multiplayer is what will sell 5 million copies though. (Once people realize that the white button is team chat....lol)[/quote]

Well let's see there is only around 1.5 million people on Xbox Live... so I think they will not do as well as you hope.

I have already sold my LE copy, I was not impressed at all. I am now going to beat the best game in recent history LOTR the third age.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Single player was OK, so far....

Multiplayer is what will sell 5 million copies though. (Once people realize that the white button is team chat....lol)[/quote]

Well let's see there is only around 1.5 million people on Xbox Live... so I think they will not do as well as you hope.[/quote]
The original Halo hit 4 million in January. There were 1.5 million preorders of Halo 2 on October 19. Plus the preorders after that, and the walk in sales, it should easily hit 2 million by Christmas. Every copy of Halo 2 includes a free 2 month card for Xbox Live. Not only do I think it will surpass the 4 million set by Halo 1, it will greatly increase subscriptions to XBL by being the Killer App. The 1.5 million figure is paying subscribers btw, not the 2 month freebies.

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Single player was OK, so far....

Well let's see there is only around 1.5 million people on Xbox Live... so I think they will not do as well as you hope.[/quote]

Thank you Dr. Obvious for youre brilliant look into the ordinary.

I just picked a random high number.....but thanks for geeking out for my amusement.

Halo 2 Rocks. I've been playing Halo (1) since it came out, and I haven't been playing it for the solo mission. The multiplayer additions are incredible. I like the tweaks,: the stat page, the character builder, the MANY new levels, new weapons, and new games. Terriitory is great in multiplayer.

I live with four other guys, we also have numerous friends who all come over just to play Halo. We can now take this online. PEOPLE....Halo (1) is still on the bestseller list. It was a launch title for Pete's Sake. HALO 2 rocks.

P.S. I like the whole falling and not getting hurt thing. I dropped down on the other team during King of the Hil and slayed them all with the new Covenant Sword.

Get it straight you little girls. Halo 2 rocks.

[quote name='doubledown']I didn't mean to start a debate...I'm just saying that people who LOVED Halo1, didn't really like Halo 2. [/quote]

I thought the first one was pretty lacking in a lot of key areas, with its only redeeming quality being the 16 player support and the precision and speed of the controls. The single player was boring as hell, repetitive, and confusing. The multiplayer was, besides the large maps and many players, rudimentary and barebones compared to say, Perfect Dark.

That said, I was still hyped up for Halo 2, mostly because of Live multiplayer. I played absurd amounts of hours of Halo 1's multiplayer at school, and now with Live I can still play with the same people.

I've spent about three hours over the last two days with Halo 2, and I think that the single player has improved (incrementally, really, but enough to keep me playing it without making me angry like the first did) and the graphics (putting the slight pop up aside) are stellar. I'm happy they got rid of the "self shadow" of those two protrusions from the front of Chief's helmet onto his visor. What a joke those were.

I'm not sure why my friends didn't like it....they just said that "they ruined Halo" I like it, I had fun....I don't think it's thebest thing since slived bread, but it is fun.[/quote]

Rabid fans want change as much as they want to resist change. They'll bitch either way, I think. Pay them no heed.

I know he complained about only seeing a bunch of big icons over peoples heads in games....but, this can relate to the size of the TV you are playing on.
[/quote]

I think once I get used to playing with the same people, those icons will be really helpful in recognizing teammates from far away. You can customize your icon with a pretty large amount of options, so it could become a great way for quick recognition. You still get the names up close when you target them, like in the original.

Overall, the interface for Live is amazing. The ability to hop from game to game with the same group of people is fantastic.

Yeah, it's getting better each day now.....played some more last night. Maybe my clan can take on a CAG clan.

I think the menus are horrible though....kinda clunky. I haven't created any matches, but I guess some of the options are lacking....but that's hearsay

Halo 2 overhyped? Yes
Half Life 2 overhyped? Yes
Fable overhyped? Yes
GTA:SA overhyped? Yes
Doom 3 overhyped? Yes
Ninja Gaiden overhyped? Yes

Do I sense a trend? All games are now overhyped. Its a consequence of the skyrocketing costs to produce a successful game and the expanding media coverage of the gaming industry.

However, most of those games are awesome games, some of the best of this generation. Halo 2 is as good or better than I expected and I would say its my favorite video game in the last 5 years.

[quote name='Othergods'][quote name='whiteboy']i think the online portion of the game is good but did anyone else think they slowed down the vehicles?[/quote]

I love the little Turbo Boost in the Ghost (Left Trigger) that is pretty sweet, I do like that you can survive a hit from a vehicle when you are on foot. But I am not sure how I like that you can get into some vehicles while playing capture the flag, when you have the flag. But I may only dislike it since the other team did this and my team never did.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you could do this in the first one. I quite distinctly remember grabbing the flag and driving a warthog back.

Yeah, I think Halo 2 was a little overhyped. About how a lot of stuff Bungie said would be in Halo 2 wasn't was also dissapointing for example the ATV.

I just love it when gamers complain about how a sequel was like the original. Like DUH! Why not stop buying sequels so companies will get the hint and create more original games. No matter how much I like the original I almost never buy the sequal. Especially if it is on the same platform.

Xbox Halo 1 = Xbox Halo 2 but when Xbox2 has Halo 3...that would be a reason to buy... You will NOT ever see a serious increase in performance, graphics, or gameplay in a sequel that is on the same platform. That's just the nature of it.

Use your senses.

yeah...people think a videogame is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. really...just sit back and just enjoy the game rather then critizing everything...

even though i have my own minor issues with the game it was still worth the purchase and lived up to my own personal hype

[quote name='defender']I just love it when gamers complain about how a sequel was like the original. Like DUH! Why not stop buying sequels so companies will get the hint and create more original games. No matter how much I like the original I almost never buy the sequal. Especially if it is on the same platform.

Xbox Halo 1 = Xbox Halo 2 but when Xbox2 has Halo 3...that would be a reason to buy... You will NOT ever see a serious increase in performance, graphics, or gameplay in a sequel that is on the same platform. That's just the nature of it.

Use your senses.[/quote]

Great point. Lots of people do complain about the sequel being JUST like the original. And shouldn't it kind of? It is practically the same game....

[quote name='"Othergods"'][quote name='doubledown']
So you hated the sheilds in the first one, did you expect them to get rid of them in the second? I personally love the sheild it atleast gives you a fighting chance when you are hit from behind unlike other games like ghost recon where one bullet can kill. If I wanted real life war sims I would just go over to Iraq. [/quote]

Wow, so the soliders over in Iraq are just participating in a sim? :shock:

[quote name='defender']I just love it when gamers complain about how a sequel was like the original. Like DUH! Why not stop buying sequels so companies will get the hint and create more original games. No matter how much I like the original I almost never buy the sequal. Especially if it is on the same platform.

Use your senses.[/quote]

Not disagreeing with your comments on Halo, but I would posit that occasionaly there are some sequels/series that do evolve into something fairly different, such as the Ratchet and Clank 1-3 on Ps2...

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Single player was OK, so far....

The original Halo hit 4 million in January. There were 1.5 million preorders of Halo 2 on October 19. Plus the preorders after that, and the walk in sales, it should easily hit 2 million by Christmas. Every copy of Halo 2 includes a free 2 month card for Xbox Live. Not only do I think it will surpass the 4 million set by Halo 1, it will greatly increase subscriptions to XBL by being the Killer App. The 1.5 million figure is paying subscribers btw, not the 2 month freebies.[/quote]
(yeah, quoting myself)
Halo 2 sold 2.4 million copies on the first day alone (preorders that were paid for/picked up plus regular purchases). God knows how many more will sell between then and Christmas. You don't think Halo 2 could sell 5 million copies?

[quote name='vanlandw']yeah...people think a videogame is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. really...just sit back and just enjoy the game rather then critizing everything...

even though i have my own minor issues with the game it was still worth the purchase and lived up to my own personal hype[/quote]

Was sliced bread that big of a deal. Maybe the pilgrims overhyped sliced bread? Has anyone thought of that. LOL

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Single player was OK, so far....

The original Halo hit 4 million in January. There were 1.5 million preorders of Halo 2 on October 19. Plus the preorders after that, and the walk in sales, it should easily hit 2 million by Christmas. Every copy of Halo 2 includes a free 2 month card for Xbox Live. Not only do I think it will surpass the 4 million set by Halo 1, it will greatly increase subscriptions to XBL by being the Killer App. The 1.5 million figure is paying subscribers btw, not the 2 month freebies.[/quote]
(yeah, quoting myself)
Halo 2 sold 2.4 million copies on the first day alone (preorders that were paid for/picked up plus regular purchases). God knows how many more will sell between then and Christmas. You don't think Halo 2 could sell 5 million copies?[/quote]

It's not like there's shortages of it. Every place I've been to has had copies of it on the shelves, so there's really no reason everyone who wanted it shouldn't have it.

[quote name='jmcc']It's not like there's shortages of it. Every place I've been to has had copies of it on the shelves, so there's really no reason everyone who wanted it shouldn't have it.[/quote]

Yeah, as late as Wednesday evening, my local Best Buy had tons of CE and regular editions out on a special rack.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='Indiana'][quote name='Mookyjooky']Single player was OK, so far....

(yeah, quoting myself)
Halo 2 sold 2.4 million copies on the first day alone (preorders that were paid for/picked up plus regular purchases). God knows how many more will sell between then and Christmas. You don't think Halo 2 could sell 5 million copies?[/quote]

It's not like there's shortages of it. Every place I've been to has had copies of it on the shelves, so there's really no reason everyone who wanted it shouldn't have it.[/quote]
Thats not my point at all, of course there aren't shortages. The OP picked an arbitrary number (5 million) but someone replied that it wouldn't sell that many. Well, its halfway there on its first day, so I think 5 million is quite fesable.

2.4 Million in a day is quite staggering though. This winter will be huge for Xbox and XBL. They finally have the killer app they needed.

[quote name='organicow']with all the excitement over this game, it would have been impossible for it NOT to have been overhyped. i've played about 2 hours of single player, and while it is good, it's not the best thing ever.

Live is where its at for me in theis game. I must've played 8 hours of Live games since Mon night, and it is a real blast! If I have bought this game and did not have Live, I would probably have been slightly disappointed, but as it stands I am really enjoying it.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. Anyone who didn't think Halo 2 would be a let down from all the hype is just kidding themselves. Also I think Halo 2 on Live is probably the single best online expierance you can have with a console. It definately doesn't beat a lot of PC games online, but for a console I think it's #1.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='jmcc']It's not like there's shortages of it. Every place I've been to has had copies of it on the shelves, so there's really no reason everyone who wanted it shouldn't have it.[/quote]

Thats not my point at all, of course there aren't shortages. The OP picked an arbitrary number (5 million) but someone replied that it wouldn't sell that many. Well, its halfway there on its first day, so I think 5 million is quite fesable.

2.4 Million in a day is quite staggering though. This winter will be huge for Xbox and XBL. They finally have the killer app they needed.[/quote]

I think 5 million is out of the question. If it were going to sell 2.6 million more copies there'd be a shortage of them right now. It's going to sell a few thousand copies every month from here on out as people pick up Xboxes, since it's pretty much mandatory like the first one was, but there's no untapped reservoir of people who still have to buy it that will double it's sales yet, especially when you consider the lifespan of the Xbox is rapidly approaching it's end.

wow so you think EVERYONE who wanted it got it the first day, man think of all the mothers who put it off for x-mas, or paydays that had to come before the purchase, so im pretty sure it can be acieved, we sold more copies of halo 2 at toys rus, in the last three days then the first onel

Maybe this has benn posted before, or maybe not:

If you watch the "making of Halo: on the LE, then you'll see that after the E3 demo, they started from scratch. According to them, it wasn't in the direction they wanted to go. They said it wasn't fun.

One of the main guys said that they meant for this game to be 20 hours. This game was BARELY 10 and I died a lot.

I think that either Bungie "ran out of time" as they kepp saying in the documentary, or Microsoft did something.

Maybe I'm paranoid but, maybe Bungie created a super game. This uber-Halo 2 was 20 hours long and included everything we were promised. It probably contained the REAL invasion of Earth, not just a city. But some exec from M$ probably said, "Wow, this shit is huge. We could cut it in half and STILL make a mint."

------------SPOILER---------

They didn't have to add that last scene of Master Chief riding to Earth for the last battle. They could have done like they did for the first one and made you think it was over. They did it so you would have you wallet ready when Halo 2.5 comes out next year.

------END SPOILER-------

Also, I want to add that I love this game. I haven't had this much fun with a game since I first played the first Halo 6 months ago. This shit is awesome, but not as awesome as it could have been.

bread's done
Back