It's not stealing if its free, Thief: Deadly Shadows free on gametap

I happen to like it a lot, yeah it's a little cheesy here n there and the AI's not the greatest but I find it fun sneaking into a heavily guarded castle and stealing stuff. I've only played it on xbox but the lighting and shadows were done well ... a good deal of bump-mapping or so it looked. You can play in 1st and 3rd person views, I found it very immersive, especially when played ... in the dark ... in the night ...

Some bashed this one, but Deadly Shadows is just as much fun as The Dark Project and The Metal Age. Deadly Shadows also has one of the best missions ever, Shalebridge Cradle.

[quote name='0100']+1[/QUOTE]
+2

Also, easily worth playing. Not really sure why some people bashed it, as it stands up very well to the first two Thief games. Losing rope arrows is a bit sad, but the climbing gloves help make up for it. Actually thinking about reinstalling and replaying DS.

[quote name='OpTiMaL']Some bashed this one, but Deadly Shadows is just as much fun as The Dark Project and The Metal Age. Deadly Shadows also has one of the best missions ever, Shalebridge Cradle.[/QUOTE]

that mission was just plain sad. I didnt think it was scary but mostly sad and some of it made my stomach turn. it was well done, but i dont really like watching that sort of thing in films or videogames. call me crazy.

even worse was that i could figure out how to find the opening doors to get upstaird,, it literally took me hours. even when i broke down and used the faq, it wasnt easy

the lab experiements on orphans is bad enough, but it just makes me cringe to think about the violence and rape that goes on in the real life social services programs here in the USA.

I don't recall anything that would make a person's stomach turn in this mission, but it's been a while since I played it. Could you elaborate? The most disturbing thing I can remember would come in the form of text or dialog relating to the back-story of the place, nothing visual.

[quote name='Fatbot3'] Some said it was the worst in the series.[/quote]

It is, at least in my opinion and a lot of others. Its still a really good game though. The first two are classics.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Never played it but apparently its pretty good. Should I bother? Some said it was the worst in the series. [/quote]

I've played all three games, and I very much enjoyed Deadly Shadows. Give it a shot, the price is right.

It says play for free until Dec. 31st.

Does that mean I will no longer be able to play it for free after that or you can no longer download it for free?

[quote name='poo']It says play for free until Dec. 31st.

Does that mean I will no longer be able to play it for free after that or you can no longer download it for free?[/quote]

Samething I am wondering..

[quote name='poo']It says play for free until Dec. 31st.

Does that mean I will no longer be able to play it for free after that or you can no longer download it for free?[/QUOTE]

It means you will no longer be able to play it after December 31 whether you downloaded it by then or not. So if you don't have any plans to subscribe to Gametap you need to beat Thief: Deadly Shadows by December 31.

[quote name='OpTiMaL']It means you will no longer be able to play it after December 31 whether you downloaded it by then or not. So if you don't have any plans to subscribe to Gametap you need to beat Thief: Deadly Shadows by December 31.[/quote]

Indeed, "sometimes" games stay free after that but this is apparently a christmas thing so it could very well be gone in January. If you can pony up 99 cents you get a month which hopefully should be enough.

Though, for 60 bucks you get the year, and, well if you saw the mosaic you can see why thats such a good deal.

It's well worth your time, and for free it's pretty hard to say no. If your computer has a great sound system that makes it ++

As recommended above- you owe it to yourself to play though Shalebridge Cradle.

[quote name='OpTiMaL']Some bashed this one, but Deadly Shadows is just as much fun as The Dark Project and The Metal Age. Deadly Shadows also has one of the best missions ever, Shalebridge Cradle.[/QUOTE]

After looking into Shalebridge Cradle ... I realized even after all the fun I had with the game I was barely into it. I'm only on Into the Pagan Sanctuary, mission 4 as I did St. Edgar's Eve first. I'll have to start playing it again soon, with all the deals and all the games I have I find myself with gaming adhd half the f'n time. :joystick:

[quote name='dracula']that mission was just plain sad. I didnt think it was scary but mostly sad and some of it made my stomach turn. it was well done, but i dont really like watching that sort of thing in films or videogames. call me crazy.

even worse was that i could figure out how to find the opening doors to get upstaird,, it literally took me hours. even when i broke down and used the faq, it wasnt easy

the lab experiements on orphans is bad enough, but it just makes me cringe to think about the violence and rape that goes on in the real life social services programs here in the USA.
[/QUOTE]

I agree this mission was very disturbing, especially when you are willing to spend time paying attention to every little detail. But I don't think anything here is worse than Silent Hill, which can literally make your stomach turn (BBQ dog, anyone?). Gameplay wise, I still love the setting and design in this game as well as both games before it. Sadly, there are still many things left to be desired, AI is the biggest one. In a game like this, if you can figure out how the AI works, the fun is basically gone. Still, I highly recommend this game to both Thief veterans as well as noobs due to its unique gameplay and many well designed missions. It will be worth your time.

Whenever i try to launch the game it just loads for a couple seconds and then says "T3Main.EXE has stopped working"...

My guess is Vista Business is the culprit.... once again.

Yeah, i have problems on Vista as well but lots of times there are workarounds in the help forums on the GameTap site.

Considering the crazy catalogue, i guess its kinda expected.

bread's done
Back