Big Lots: Phantasy Star Universe, Psychonauts, Mademan: $6, SIN Episodes: $4 (all PC)

zenintrude

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
(all games for PC)

couldn't find the ol' big lots thread, so i suppose this will do until it can be merged or whatever.

found in tallahassee, florida at the big lots on appalachee parkway

had to look around a bit for them... games are no longer being kept up at the front with DVDs and are instead being stored near the back in an "electronics" section.

[quote name='ITDEFX']the nearest big lots is about 30 minutes away and they don't have PC software.[/quote]

Did you check with anyone who works there or look everywhere? I only ask because the first time I went to mine I was about to leave before I found them on a separate 4 sided shelf in the corner of the store with DVDs as well.

They had 3 of those in Springfield, IL. Not Sin. I already had Psychonauts (PC) so I passed. $6 is not cheap enough, the stuff they have typically should be less than $5.

Woah! Another Tallahassee'ian? I didn't know there was a biglots on Appalachee...are you talking about the one on Pensacola by mistake (next to hobbit hoagies?)

Is PSU any good, I looked at metacritic and its like a 60 for the PC version, I am looking at the offline play (really don't need to pay for online stuff right now)

[quote name='bassec']Woah! Another Tallahassee'ian? I didn't know there was a biglots on Appalachee...are you talking about the one on Pensacola by mistake (next to hobbit hoagies?)[/QUOTE]

nope... drive down appalachee toward wal-mart and games-for-less from the capital, and after passing the mall and circuit city, it'll be on the left hand side of the road (same side as the mall and target) near ashley furniture and some asian markets. the games are kept in the back... since i've started checking in september, they've had some good stuff occasionally (i.e. darwinia for $3, city of villains for $4, rollercoaster tycoon for $4, etc.)

[quote name='aoko']Is PSU any good, I looked at metacritic and its like a 60 for the PC version, I am looking at the offline play (really don't need to pay for online stuff right now)[/QUOTE]

i actually just picked this up for 360 during the B2G1 deal at gamestop, and i have only played it offline. it's kind of an interesting game in that it plays out in "episodes", kind of like playing a sci-fi anime series. so, if you're into something new and at the same time liked PSO's gameplay (and it's basically the same thing), then you could do much worse than this game.

[quote name='placebo1']Did you check with anyone who works there or look everywhere? I only ask because the first time I went to mine I was about to leave before I found them on a separate 4 sided shelf in the corner of the store with DVDs as well.[/QUOTE]

Yes I did... the people there did not know what the fuck "PC Software" was. :whistle2:|

This was the big lots in Sterling, VA

[quote name='zenintrude']
i actually just picked this up for 360 during the B2G1 deal at gamestop, and i have only played it offline. it's kind of an interesting game in that it plays out in "episodes", kind of like playing a sci-fi anime series. so, if you're into something new and at the same time liked PSO's gameplay (and it's basically the same thing), then you could do much worse than this game.[/quote]
Never played PSO, so it would be a new experance. Episodes like a anime series are perfectly fine with me. I will have to stop by a big lots when I get back home from school.

If anyone is looking for recommendations for SIN Episode 1, I thought the game was awesome. I wish the series would have been continued, but alas, it was not meant to be. :( Still, the game is a lot of fun IMO, for $4 it's a must have.

Psychonauts is great also, but I've only played the PS2 and Xbox versions (Xbox version trumps PS2 version by a lot). I don't know about the PC version, but I'd assume it'd look a lot like the Xbox version (perhaps even prettier), and hopefully you have a good gamepad for your PC because I wouldn't want to play a platformer with a mouse and keyboard. ^_^

What I heard, Ritual (the developer studio who made the game) were bought out, and when that happened many of the devs left and those that stayed were forced to work on educational software of some shit like that.

Anyone ever place the first SiN? Way back in the Quake II era. I used to play the hell out of that game on Heat.net.

I've been meaning to try out the new one. I may have to go for it.

[quote name='sp00ge']Anyone ever place the first SiN? Way back in the Quake II era. I used to play the hell out of that game on Heat.net.

I've been meaning to try out the new one. I may have to go for it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I played the first SIN way back then, which was partly why I was interested in playing the new SIN series. The original game (plus multiplayer) is also included with Episode 1, which sweetens the deal. :)

[quote name='Alien Spider']Yep, I played the first SIN way back then, which was partly why I was interested in playing the new SIN series. The original game (plus multiplayer) is also included with Episode 1, which sweetens the deal. :)[/QUOTE]

yea, from what i gathered from the box, it's similar to the orange box in that it includes several "games" in one

Checked it out today...found the items but decided against them. I kinda wanted Phantasy Star Universe, but then said screw it.

[quote name='bassec']Checked it out today...found the items but decided against them. I kinda wanted Phantasy Star Universe, but then said screw it.[/quote]
I did the same thing only I bought Psychonauts. I think I'm gonna go again and buy another as a gift.

Already got SiN from another deal.

And I read that PSU was so so.

[quote name='elmyra']Is the PC Psychonauts any better or worse than the Xbox version?[/quote]

I've played the PS2 version, and the PC version. The PC version feels like a port from a console, but is smoother. It plays best with a game pad.

[quote name='turls']They had 3 of those in Springfield, IL. Not Sin. I already had Psychonauts (PC) so I passed. $6 is not cheap enough, the stuff they have typically should be less than $5.[/QUOTE]

WHAAAAT?!? Psychonauts is worth way more than $6 (I'd pay $60 :)

Big Lots likes hiding their software in dark, camouflaged places.

I don't know that I'd say the PC version is better, but the higher frame rate makes the game feel smoother. Some of the textures are a little more crisp, but they pretty much play the same.

I personally though the new Sin terrible. The gun play was boring...I stopped playing after about an hour, and never played it again.

bread's done
Back