Refurbished? Gamestop Xbox

cvocvo

CAG Veteran
What exactly does the refurbished part of 'Xbox System (Refurbished)' mean on the Gamestop systems? I saw Gamestop dropped the price of Original Xbox's and Gamecubes, so I'm wondering if it'd be more benificial to buy a Refurb over a regular used system.

Thanks for the help,
-Chris

It means that they opened up the drive tray to see if there was a game disk left in it that they could sell in their used Xbox section as a disk only item.

I'm assuming the above is a mix of sarcasm and truth. Do they do any replacements or performance mods or is it a 'just turn it on to make sure it works' kinda thing?

whichever is cheaper

I recommend searching craigslist for xboxes because you can get much better deals on them over what gamestop charges.

It's a crapshoot for sure, but in my experience:

[quote name='E_G_Man']A refurb is a system that was sent in for repairs and has been fixed poorly.[/QUOTE]

My refurb PSP worked great for a week. Then stuck and dead pixels began appearing like mushrooms in a field. Couple more days, and the analog stick gets screwy. I took it back and the lady there told me they have a lot of problems with refurbs since there was definitely something wrong with it in the first place. Exchanged for a used, but pristine one and haven't had any issues at all. Couldn't be happier in the end.

Edit: Also of note, they told me it was refurbished by Gamestop, and not Sony.

MjC

Good lord, refurbished by Gamestop? What would they do with it? Smear it with peanut butter and dirt like half the games in the store? Take the outer casing off, stick the shell on the shelf while the innards sit in a locked drawer?

Xboxes are so modular, really not hard to swap out DVD drives... or HDs if you wanna do ahome brew. Id say go for it.

[quote name='Lupuri']Xboxes are so modular, really not hard to swap out DVD drives... or HDs if you wanna do ahome brew. Id say go for it.[/quote]

That wasn't the question...

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Used may be broken, refurbished certainly was broken and may still be. Used is a better gamble.[/quote]
Sadly yes. Used is a better way to go than refurbished.

Gamestop doesn't send the defective Xbox consoles to Microsoft, they have a independent contractor do the repairs for them since it's cheaper. So it really doesn't get professionally repaired by the manufacturer, it's just GS's way to try to fix it and save as much cash as they can.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']That wasn't the question...[/quote]My answer added to the 'yes' it is worth it. If you get a furbied Xbox from GS or wherever, and the dvd drive goes, or hd, or whatever..... get another for teh cheap. Or do I have to explain everything to you like my 4 year old niece?

Grow up, stop ball slapping....

[quote name='Lupuri']My answer added to the 'yes' it is worth it. If you get a furbied Xbox from GS or wherever, and the dvd drive goes, or hd, or whatever..... get another for teh cheap. Or do I have to explain everything to you like my 4 year old niece?

Grow up, stop ball slapping....[/quote]

Again, that wasn't his question. Now you may enjoy visiting random internet forums and posting anwers to the questions asked by the many voices in your head, hey I'm not trying to deny you a hobby that forestalls your eventual homicidal rampage. But it didn't address what he asked.

BTW, what kind of irresponsible parents allow you near young children?

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Again, that wasn't his question. Now you may enjoy visiting random internet forums and posting anwers to the questions asked by the many voices in your head, hey I'm not trying to deny you a hobby that forestalls your eventual homicidal rampage. But it didn't address what he asked.

BTW, what kind of irresponsible parents allow you near young children?[/quote]Great job staying on topic, atleast I did...
You're bitching at me for going off the question, but yet you are babbling about me around childern and murdering rampages.
What I said DID support 'yes' as I stated... like I said, stop nut slapping before I sick my pugterrier on your ass.

[quote name='Lupuri']Great job staying on topic, atleast I did...
You're bitching at me for going off the question, but yet you are babbling about me around childern and murdering rampages.
What I said DID support 'yes' as I stated... like I said, stop nut slapping before I sick my pugterrier on your ass.[/quote]

Oh, sure now bring a pug terrier into this sordid little fantasy of yours...

[quote name='cvocvo']What exactly does the refurbished part of 'Xbox System (Refurbished)' mean on the Gamestop systems? I saw Gamestop dropped the price of Original Xbox's and Gamecubes, so I'm wondering if it'd be more benificial to buy a Refurb over a regular used system.

Thanks for the help,
-Chris[/quote]

Buy a used system but TEST THE HELL OUT OF IT THE FIRST NIGHT YOU HAVE IT. Play a marathon session, so in that way you at least determine if you have one of the infamous dirty disc error Xbox systems.

When GS had a 'sale' via a coupon a couple months ago on the Xbox for $50, it took many people from CAG about 3-5 Xboxs before they found a good one that didn't look like someone dropped it in a vat of snot or soaked it in a tub of urine.

So, CHECK IT WHEN YOU GET IT.

Buy the system used and definitely get the replacement guarantee, but ask questions about it first to make sure if you have a problem within a couple days, that your system you bought won't end up using up the warranty.

I'm debating picking up another one, since I used my PRP @ BB and no longer have TWO Xboxs at my house. Not that I ever used BOTH at once though, but it was nice to 'have a spare'.

My friend is giving me his old one with a plastered DVD drive.
Pug Terriers everywhere rejoyce.

I was pulling apart my 2005 model Xbox to deal with a whiny fan, and noticed what appears to be white caulk all over the power supply. It's not an exploded capacitor, it's definitely a caulk-like substamce intentially applied in big globs at three or four points on the power board. I've never seen anything like this. There were no signs of tampering before I opened it, and everything operates well. Is this caulk normal?

Yes, that white blob stuff is normal. Initially I thought the same as you, but then I read on the xboxscene.com forums that the white stuff on the PSU is nonconductive and designed to reduce vibration of the components when in transit.

bread's done
Back