Amazon DotD (12/10) - NHL 2K8 (360) $19.99

Heads up to the hockey fans on the board..

2K8 is pretty. The presentation/play mechanics are not. I loved the presentation. I (naturally) chose the Predators.. had the pre-game stuff, showed them coming onto the ice, light shows, the works, it was awesome.. then the game began and it was a clusterfuck.

There's a reason why this is $19.99 and NHL 08 is still $59.99. Avoid.

I agree, there is a reason this game is marked to 20 and NHL 08 is still 60. This game is trash and completely takes away what made 2K7 so good. I even think more people play 2K7 than 2K8 online; it is just full of painfully bad flaws and poor gameplay mechanics.

Ordered this the other day from Amazon for $30...will they credit me the difference?

FWIW, I got it mainly for the franchise mode. NHL 08's franchise mode is seriously flawed and buggy as hell. I've heard 2K8 is 10x better in that respect.

And honestly, after just playing the 2K8 demo the other day, I didn't think it was that bad. As good as NHL 08 with default setting for both? No way. But 2K8 has so much more "tweakability" that it might get close to 08. My biggest complaint with 08's gameplay is how ridiculously unrealistic puck control is. Whoever has control of the puck might as well be playing 5 on 3.

Although I jumped on the buy NBA 2K8 and get NHL2K8 for free at BB, I would do this in a heartbeat. As a hockey player for many years, I love NHL 08's realism. It's the closest thing you can get to actually stepping on the ice. Puck control, although disputed by one member on here, is actually quite realistic with how the pros can puck handle. I have played against a couple NHLers in my day and let me tell you, it's unbelievable what those guys can do, and I wasn't even playing with superstars; just a couple third liners and a defenseman.

However, that all being said, NHL2K8 at $19.99 is a steal if you're a hockey fan. It's definitely not NHL 08, or even NHL2K7, by any means, but it's still a great game for $20.

I would wait for this game to go down at Gamefly's "Keep It Price." I bought NHL 2K7 when it went down to less than $15, and now it's less than $9 used

I liked the 2K series better than the EA's until NHL 07 came out. 2K needs to step up their Hockey Games to compete with EA.

$20 for NHL 2K8 Brand New is still pretty good though. Thanks OP.

Does anyone know if this game includes Fantasy Drafts? I am so pissed they were not included in NHL 08 (A fantastic game), and if they are in this, I would consider getting it because at least from 2k4-2k7, I loved this series (Haven't tried this year, although I hear it's way different).

bread's done
Back