Nostalgia Flashback - Remember these Gaming Sites?

jrutz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
I was just thinking of how I used to spend my day, perusing through Fernando's SaturnWorld (which got bought out by IGN) or Dave Z's Sega Saturn Page (which I think is still up, just not updated anymore).

And what the heck was IGN before it was IGN?

Remember NextGeneration.com, which became DailyRadar.com, which became victim to cyberspace?

I just noticed VoodooExtreme.com is now gone by the wayside, purchased by IGN as well. This is what made me think about starting this thread in the first place. I forget who used to run that site. He used to have Anand as a site designer/contributor, but now he runs his own successful tech site Anandtech.com. But remember they used to have a weekly Q&A column by a former id employee. I think his name was Jeff Hook or something like that. He worked at id and then left to work on Galaxies, then left when that was stuck in development hell to do who knows what. Anyone know what happened to this guy?

And there was another one that had regular contributions from the gaming industry. I can't remember the site but it had a yellow background...not Penny Arcade but a similar-sounding name...Anyone remember this one?

Jeremy

Anyone remember Music Boulevard? Before it became CDNow? Before it became integrated with Amazon.com?

Anyone remember Dragon.ca, this store had some great deals on games until hey went out of bussiness. Games that were minimum $10 of msrp even brand new, and some even $20-$30.

TheGia.com?
I used to spend a lot of time on Saturnworld and Secrets of the Sega Sages.
I HATED when IGN had that damn orange/black color scheme, that was just horrendous.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I used to frequent gamesages.com almost daily.[/quote]

I did too. I used the name Gamejunkie. I wonder what happened to some of the people there. I remember atariboy, Mr. Kalamazoo, Lord Siren and Tyrant. When IGN bought them out I was crushed that they did away with the message boards. Other than CAG, Gamesages was the only community I was really a part of.

DC-united. It's still there in some shape or form, but it's been diminished by the destruction of the DC and the shifting focus.

[quote name='CheapyD']Give this a try, I think you will like:
www.archive.org[/quote]

Ah yes. Those old VoodooExtreme pages are sweet. Billy "Wicked" Wilson and Alex "Sharky" Ross, I remember now. Didn't Sharky also start his own site?

Brian Hook, that's right! He's the guy from id!

Now I just have to find those import guides IGN did long ago...no one seems to remember them...

Jeremy

I loved Dailyradar, it was the best site around at the time. I still have some of their How To's and Lists that they did. How to sharpen a monkey was great, as well as, Top Ten Things to not do on the first day of school.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I used to frequent gamesages.com almost daily.[/quote]

Hell yeah, I had several codes submitted to gamesages. It's full title used to be Secrets of the Sega Sages.

I remeber the GIA.com too, although I think I came across the from rpgamer.com which is still around, but I don't really stop there anymore.... I think I sorta stopped after thor left there

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I did too. I used the name Gamejunkie. I wonder what happened to some of the people there. I remember atariboy, Mr. Kalamazoo, Lord Siren and Tyrant. When IGN bought them out I was crushed that they did away with the message boards. Other than CAG, Gamesages was the only community I was really a part of.[/quote]

Yeah... I know... bumping a long forgotten thread. But wanted to say IGN didn't buy GameSages out so much as take control away from Rassilon. Sad sad day that was :( And among those names, how could you forget Saturnman? ;)

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I used to frequent gamesages.com almost daily.[/QUOTE]

As did I way back when. If I remember correctly, my handle over there was cactusj and I joined their message boards because I had problems trying to unlock stuff in WWF Warzone for the PSX.

Damn, seeing this thread makes me long for the days of The GIA and DailyRadar again. :cry: Now I have to go to shit like Kotaku and fucking gaming forums such as this one for my gaming news. CAG is amazing, but it's pretty sad that it's one of my major sources of news considering it's a forum about gaming deals and not news.

N64 Headquarters was one of my favorite back in my teenage Nintendo fan days.

Times have definitely changed now that I'm pushing 30. Seldom check any Videogame sites beyond CAG (checked multiple forums and news sites back then), and ditched my Wii and game soley on the 360 now as Nintendo just doesn't do it for me anymore.

bread's done
Back