Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2769 replies to this topic

#31 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

What are the odds of getting a thread consolidating all of the active CAG leagues for games that are played at a scheduled time each week? I know they usually hang at the top of the forum anyway, but it would be nice and neat
Posted Image

#32 aznguyen316

aznguyen316

Rock Chalk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

tagged thanks
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK | Steam: djfakey
[email protected]; MSI 660Ti PE/OC Ed.

#33 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

What are the odds of getting a thread consolidating all of the active CAG leagues for games that are played at a scheduled time each week? I know they usually hang at the top of the forum anyway, but it would be nice and neat

My thread is usually kept at least within two pages, so don't worry. There are still some flaws with it, because only a few games are listed in it (there are some games which aren't fully integrated in it, partially because of mis-communication between the one handling the game. I am trying to get it more organized (It's definitely a lot better than it use to be).
Posted Image

#34 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Instead of index threads (which, in my opinion, are pointless unless they are used as "HEY NEWBIE! LOOK HERE FIRST!" threads, since now it's more difficult, or at least easier to miss a new post, for those of us who liked to check the threads like the PS3 101 thread for new posts that we could help with) perhaps things like CAG clan/groups should have their own sub-forum.

#35 imascrub

imascrub

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

So I'm trying to set up a media server on my ps3 with the hope that I may be able to remote play from my PSP and watch stuff wirelessly within the house.

I've got the Media Server stuff set up, gone into WMP11, enabled library, added my folders and video files and such. The PS3 recognizes all of this and I can see all my video files with preview pictures from the video file. However, when I try to play them on the PS3, a huge majority of my video files come up with the error "Unsupported data." Anybody know why that is? They are mostly divx files I believe, and even if they aren't, the PS3 seems to be able to pick out a preview image of the video file for when I'm scrolling through my folder. Out of a dozen or so video files (I have many more in my folder, I just checked a few to test things out), maybe one or two of them will work. I thought it'd probably be an incompatible video codec thing, but here's the weird thing; When I go to check the details on the files from within the PS3, all of them come up as blank for the video codec (it shows as a dash to signify nothing), even for the video files that work.

Anybody know what's up with this? Are my video files not divx after all? Would I have to convert every single file to be ps3 compatible...? Cuz shoot...that would not be very cool at all :\
Posted Image

#36 Marion517

Marion517

JRPG junkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:15 AM

I'm having sort of the same problem. I usually hook up my external hard drive w/FAT partition to play video files, never had a problem once the divx compatability came through. Currently, I've been downloading series from a torrent KKM (anime), I've got a mess of .avi files, all divx encoded from the same subber, and it's about half and half which ones my PS3 plays. Even converting the unplayables ones to mpg4 didn't work.

I don't want to say anything, but it started about the same time as the last system update...

Anyone else having a problem with divx files?

#37 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

Posted Image

#38 aznguyen316

aznguyen316

Rock Chalk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

tagged thanks
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK | Steam: djfakey
[email protected]; MSI 660Ti PE/OC Ed.

#39 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

My thread is usually kept at least within two pages, so don't worry. There are still some flaws with it, because only a few games are listed in it (there are some games which aren't fully integrated in it, partially because of mis-communication between the one handling the game. I am trying to get it more organized (It's definitely a lot better than it use to be).
Posted Image

#40 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Instead of index threads (which, in my opinion, are pointless unless they are used as "HEY NEWBIE! LOOK HERE FIRST!" threads, since now it's more difficult, or at least easier to miss a new post, for those of us who liked to check the threads like the PS3 101 thread for new posts that we could help with) perhaps things like CAG clan/groups should have their own sub-forum.

#41 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

I'll talk to the big man and see if a CAG Game Night subforum can be made.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#42 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

I'll talk to the big man and see if a CAG Game Night subforum can be made.

I mentioned that before in your suggestion thread, with CAG Assistance and stuff, how it would be good to have an online sub forum (not just for PS3, but for 360 and Wii also).
Posted Image

#43 snowsquirrel

snowsquirrel

solid squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

Does anyone know of a bluetooth guitar for PS3? I can't seem to find any solid info on this in the interwebs.
~S
* Need a notebook for your project? www.projectnotebookr.com: tasks, notes, timelines, etc.
* The Blog of an Educated Squirrel: comments on gaming, technology, and other general nerdery.

#44 Duckbutt

Duckbutt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

I haven't heard of anybody making one so far. If they come out with one, it probably won't be until the next round of GH and RBs.
Posted Image

#45 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

There's no bluetooth guitar because third parties currently don't have special access to the PS3 bluetooth. There was an article about it once:

All of us PS3 owners know that our sexy console sports Bluetooth technology -- real awesome stuff, being able to attempt to play Warhawk while cooking in the kitchen and the TV is upstairs in a bedroom. Anyway, Red Octane doesn't seem to think Bluetooth is all it's cracked up to be. It's been revealed that the PS3 version of Guitar Hero 3 will force PS3 owners to attach a wireless USB dongle to their consoles instead of using the Bluetooth technology. Well, that might not be true. Red Octane is blaming Sony for this USB device. Let's investigate!

1UP contacted Red Octane for comment and they replied: "Our products require considerable time for certification and testing to perfect both our software & hardware, so this was the most effective way for us to bring a high quality wireless solution for PS3 this holiday." Since that didn't adequately answer why, they pried further, since the Wii uses Bluetooth but won't require such a crazy USB device. Apparently the Bluetooth technology only works with the Sixaxis and Sony doesn't have the technology set up to allow third-parties to use it. That's a little strange sounding.

Sony gave vague answers, using the word consider many, many times: "Many factors were in play regarding the decision to go USB wireless vs Bluetooth for GH3. However, we are considering Bluetooth for future consideration." Everything else is classified! This is a minor issue, but speculation seems to surround the PS3's strange de-sync with the Sixaxis. Surely that would be a horrifying situation while strumming your axe, so perhaps Red Octane decided not to risk that problem on the PS3. Who knows. Does anyone really care? Wireless is wireless, right?

http://www.ps3fanboy...ireless-dongle/
Posted Image

#46 imascrub

imascrub

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:38 AM

anybody got an answer?
Posted Image

#47 blackjaw

blackjaw

probably surfing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

At least yours works somewhat.

My linksys wireless just boots me off and shuts down my entire router (needs a hard reset). Some sort of problem with the WRT54G that Sony/Linksys still havent addressed.

I had to turn off the ability to connect/recognize wireless networks.

#48 reiji

reiji

wired to the core

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:52 AM

I'm a bit skeptical about that... The guitars have a PS button and they work just like controllers at the XMB, right? I'm willing to bet bluetooth is just more expensive, and they'd probably have to include internal rechargeable batteries.

#49 BigD63

BigD63

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

I was wondering how well the PS2 emulation is on a PS3 without an Emotion Engine. It would help if you could compare it to the Xbox360 backwards compatibility.

#50 Fatal Futanari

Fatal Futanari

Here comes the lewd!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I was wondering how well the PS2 emulation is on a PS3 without an Emotion Engine. It would help if you could compare it to the Xbox360 backwards compatibility.

WAAAAAAAAAY better than the 360 emulation.

Join Points2Shop and get ANYTHING you want from Amazon!!!! (i have gotten $77, 5 PS3 games and 3 anime boxset so far!!!!!)

#51 Jest

Jest

Take this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

Try to use TVersity as your media server. I can never get Windows Media Server to work, it always disconnects, but TVersity has been flawless.

#52 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

for remote play to work.. must you always leave the ps3 on the remote play screen?

1080i is for douchebags

#53 BigD63

BigD63

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:58 PM

WAAAAAAAAAY better than the 360 emulation.

Good because the 360's emulation sucks. Is there any downside to its emulation? Should I just play ps2 games on my ps2 when I get a PS3?

#54 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

Every time I play a PS1 game on the PS3, the controller defaults to digital-only mode. Is there a way to have the analog sticks on by default?

Posted Image

#55 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

Good idea Link, but I think with how many different pool threads there are (I just clicked through to another repository, then to yet another one), it would probably be a better idea to have some of this information stored in a wiki.

The wife okayed buying a PS3, so I'm hunting for a used 60GB model around Atlanta. Unfortunately, the closest one at a GS is in Dalton, 60 miles away. I've found a 20GB much closer.

The real question is, is wireless really worth the extra $70 and 120 miles worth of gas? My 360 isn't wireless either, and unless I get that adapter for free, it's probably not going to be.

I figure I could set up a wireless bridge. It would be the same amount as the difference in price, but would cover the Xbox, 360 and PS3. Thoughts?

Oh yeah: saw MLB 08 in action at MicroCenter, that's my first game.

#56 morbis

morbis

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Would someone be kind enough to point me somewhere where I can read about features of the upcoming PS3s? I've been dying to get one lately, but I don't want a 40gb...

#57 daroga

daroga

swimming with nanocarp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

Every time I play a PS1 game on the PS3, the controller defaults to digital-only mode. Is there a way to have the analog sticks on by default?

Posted Image

#58 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

Good idea Link, but I think with how many different pool threads there are (I just clicked through to another repository, then to yet another one), it would probably be a better idea to have some of this information stored in a wiki.

The wife okayed buying a PS3, so I'm hunting for a used 60GB model around Atlanta. Unfortunately, the closest one at a GS is in Dalton, 60 miles away. I've found a 20GB much closer.

The real question is, is wireless really worth the extra $70 and 120 miles worth of gas? My 360 isn't wireless either, and unless I get that adapter for free, it's probably not going to be.

I figure I could set up a wireless bridge. It would be the same amount as the difference in price, but would cover the Xbox, 360 and PS3. Thoughts?

Oh yeah: saw MLB 08 in action at MicroCenter, that's my first game.

#59 morbis

morbis

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Would someone be kind enough to point me somewhere where I can read about features of the upcoming PS3s? I've been dying to get one lately, but I don't want a 40gb...

#60 snowsquirrel

snowsquirrel

solid squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

I think your only option on the horizen is the MGS4 80GB, with BC, DS3 controller, and MGS4.
~S
* Need a notebook for your project? www.projectnotebookr.com: tasks, notes, timelines, etc.
* The Blog of an Educated Squirrel: comments on gaming, technology, and other general nerdery.