Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2745 replies to this topic

#991 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

It seems to depend on the time of day, usually my wireless downloads are pretty fast, but last night took FOREVER to get a couple of Rock Band songs.

With the new models coming out and it being a long weekend, the servers are probably just being slammed...

#992 arctic00

arctic00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone know if a DS3 controller can be recharged with a generic USB cable (Male A to Male B mini) or is it necessary to buy a USB cable that specifically says that it is PS3 DS3 compatible? The generic cables obviously cost less but I've also learned that some devices don't work with generic USB cables -> can't charge Motorola RAZR with a generic USB cable.

#993 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Any USB cable is fine.

#994 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone know if a DS3 controller can be recharged with a generic USB cable (Male A to Male B mini) or is it necessary to buy a USB cable that specifically says that it is PS3 DS3 compatible? The generic cables obviously cost less but I've also learned that some devices don't work with generic USB cables -> can't charge Motorola RAZR with a generic USB cable.

I've done that before...

#995 HowStern

HowStern

Knock Knock..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yeah I get good speeds and I've read articles where people say PSN is faster than XBL for store D/Ls
( http://thatgamingsit...ing-comparison/ ).

edit: Not to mention I would hope the 360s wireless adapter would be stronger/better considering the price :P

Edited by HowStern, 01 September 2008 - 01:23 AM.

#996 Vanigan

Vanigan

V.V.V.V.V.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

The feature for downloading while playing offline games and downloading while turned off is possible on the PS3. However, the developers have to have these features in the SDK for them to make use of it properly.

The xbox doesn't actually turn off fully when you set it to download, it just stays on in a low power mode until the downloads are complete. This would be easy to to include, but I suspect some poor programming of the PS3 OS and hardware interface means they have some issues to work out before it gets implemented.

The same goes for downloading while playing offline games. The PS3 can already download while playing PSN games that are run from the HD. However it will not download things while playing bluray based games. This is because there is currently no part of the SDK where the developers of such games can hand over some memory and processor power to the downloading system of the XMB, not to mention to way to tell the XMB that the game being played is currently offline, and thus it's okay to download. The 360 does have this feature, where as you play games downloads will still continue, but once you use any online features the downloads will stop.

#997 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:56 AM

Ok..im still new to the PS3 but something is bothering me. You can't background download on the PS3 with the system off (like Xbox), which we all know. The thing that bothers me is that while the PS3 is off I can turn it on via the internet on my PSP meaning the PS3 still is accessing/has access/whatever to the internet through PSN some sort of way. Why, then, can't you background download with the system off?

/rant

This feature is not important if the 360 already does it . ;)

Edited by Richlough, 01 September 2008 - 04:19 AM.
thread merged

card.pngl1.gif

#998 gindias

gindias

Cubs Still Suck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:06 AM

The PSN has always been quirky, some days it is fast other days its just not worth bothering. Just like the old EQ servers years ago, patches would take hours to download. You would think after 10yrs they would get someone there that knows whats going on.

#999 help1

help1

What a dumb username

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:14 AM

I have the fastest Cable internet in the whole country and it still goes pretty slow (but not that slow). It is significantly slower than the 360.

#1000 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:23 AM

I can't get the ipconfig screen to actually stay up on the screen so I can jot down the info I need to fix any disconnects I've been having by doing what you said to do, Methadon. The screen comes up for a second at most, then disappears.

Ahhhh well....I'll figure this out, I'm sure.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#1001 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

The same goes for downloading while playing offline games. The PS3 can already download while playing PSN games that are run from the HD. However it will not download things while playing bluray based games. This is because there is currently no part of the SDK where the developers of such games can hand over some memory and processor power to the downloading system of the XMB, not to mention to way to tell the XMB that the game being played is currently offline, and thus it's okay to download. The 360 does have this feature, where as you play games downloads will still continue, but once you use any online features the downloads will stop.

Yes, it can continue downloading stuff while you play Blu-ray games. It's been around since long before in-game XMB, maybe as early as the fall, but I would say the spring's the earliest I can recall seeing the pop-up that something I've downloaded is done while playing a game.

#1002 playrufioplease

playrufioplease

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

Is it possible to download demos to my pc and then transfer it to my ps3 via usb drive?

#1003 refusedchaos

refusedchaos

will code for food

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Is it possible to download demos to my pc and then transfer it to my ps3 via usb drive?

no

Join Points2Shop and get ANYTHING you want from Amazon!!!! (i have gotten $77, 5 PS3 games and 3 anime boxset so far!!!!!)

#1004 arctic00

arctic00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

I've done that before...

Really? I'll try again. Thanx

#1005 Mr. 420

Mr. 420

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

can i transfer mp3's from my psp to my ps3
:booty::-#:fridge:
:imwithst::puke::bow:

#1006 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Yes, through a usb cable.

#1007 The 7th Number

The 7th Number

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

I just made a PS3 ID and linked it to my Underground account. But i dont have a PS3 yet. Is there a way i can update the avatar or slogan through their website?

8llo.pngthe7thnumber.png

2014 - Year of the Video Games - Currently Playing: Shadow of the Colossus HD - Playstation 3

#1008 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:18 AM

If you find out, let me know. I've had my tag since nearly the day they started it and it has never updated once. The tag you see with my name hasn't been like that since June or July. :lol:

Posted Image

#1009 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:23 AM

Did you update it on the site, Mak? Just click on your PSN card, then click Update Portable ID on the Sony page and it'll update the quote. I don't know why it doesn't update automatically, but you have to do it manually for now.

#1010 Dakkon

Dakkon

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

Sorry, I've got kind of a noob question, but I just got a PS3 yesterday, the charging cable is way too short for where I'm going to place it. Is there any generally reccomended cheap solution? Thanks.

#1011 Gourd

Gourd

Tofu Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

If by charging cable, you mean 'standard USB to USB mini cable' that is used to recharge the controllers, you can simply use a USB cable extender. Monoprice, monoprice, Monoprice. Or your local electronics store.
SUPER EXPLOSIVE POWER SUIT Bangai-O!!!

#1012 Dakkon

Dakkon

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Thanks much!

#1013 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:35 AM

Man, I think I'm screwed. Just had the PS3 shut down on me after I queued up the downloads from the PSN store update. So I got the red flashing light, turned the system off and back on and it kept freezing at the login screen. Tried it again and it froze after loading the XMB. The next time I turned it on it just sat there and gave me this message:

"Cannot Start. The correct Hard Drive was not found"

Anyone encounter this? The sony forums have not been much help.

Edited by GLOCKGLOCK, 05 September 2008 - 02:19 PM.

How high is your True GamerScore? Join the CAG Leaderboard on TrueAchievements.com to find out!

Join the CAG GamerScore Whore Group here!

#1014 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

How long is the average battery life per charge for the SixAxis and DualShock 3? I ask because I swear the DS 3 wears down in like 3 days, compared with over 2 weeks with the SixAxis.

Posted Image

#1015 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

My fully recharged battery lasts about a week and a half to two weeks depending on how often I'm playing.

3 days is way too short, I'm using a DS3 as well.

#1016 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

I play my PS3 constantly and the DS3 runs for over 1 week (usually up to two weeks).
Posted Image

#1017 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

How long are you actually using it per session though? I ask because sometimes I find myself playing using it for over 6 hours per shot. So, maybe that's it?

Mind you, I do sometimes NOT play the system for 2-3 days, but I shut down the controller from the menu before manually shutting down the PS3 by the power button.

I had zero problems with my SixAxis running for a week or two on a single charge, but the DS 3 just seems to need charging every maybe 3-4 days, but as I said that's with 5-6 hours per gaming session most times.

Posted Image

#1018 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

I've heard TMK say he's paranoid leaving his PS3 on for more than two-three hours at a time...

#1019 Mr. 420

Mr. 420

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:40 PM

Ok I have had the MGS4 bundle since the day it came out.
I try not to leave the ps3 on to long but have had a few 4-5 hour benders and am getting paranoid. It seems to happen more often when I am online but I here 1 or 2 loud clicks almost everytime my ps3 gets turned on now. It happens after it has been on for a few minutes and it doesn't seem like a normal noise. I can here it loud and clear over the rocket fan and don't remember hearing this noise until I started playing gta 4 online 3 weeks ago.
My psp slim also had trouble reading hot shots open tee 2 a couple of times. Images of my dead phat ps2 are running in my head.
:booty::-#:fridge:
:imwithst::puke::bow:

#1020 Methadon

Methadon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

I play my PS3 constantly and the DS3 runs for over 1 week (usually up to two weeks).

I've noticed it drains considerably less power when you play games without rumble support. I assume you can also simply turn the rumble off for the same level of consumption.

My DS3, however, tends to run out in a couple days. Of course, I don't plug it up until it's about dead, and lately I've played my PS3 for 3-5+ hours, daily (played 'The Last Guy' for almost 4 hours without realising it....and without blinking).