Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2743 replies to this topic

#1051 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

For most games, it should work fine with other users. The only ones that may be different are games like Warhawk and GT5 Prologue.

#1052 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:20 AM

'ipconfig' shouldn't give you your DNS (at least, it never does for me), however logging into your router and viewing the 'status' page, should tell you.

ipconfig /all will give you the DNS entries.

#1053 Filler2001

Filler2001

Literary Mercenary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

PM if anyone wants to play some co-op mercs

#1054 pimpinc333

pimpinc333

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

So check this out. I bought my PS3 when those newer 80gb MGS4 Bundles came out 3-4 months back. I barely used it maybe a max of 15 hours on it. Today I go to watch a Blu Ray on it, pop the movie in and it just hangs on a blank screen. I thought it was weird so I tested out a PS3 game. popped it in and it doesn't even show up on the XMB. Tried 2 more games and 2 more blue rays with the same exact result.

I was sorely mistaken when I thought Sony = Quality Product. Pretty lame that my PS3 broke 8 months faster then my Xbox 360. Shame on you Sony.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do besides contact Sony? Maybe Reformat my HDD as I read certain updates have been messing peoples systems up. Fil me in PS3 crowd.

#1055 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I am with Nintendo's support...

#1056 Kain Vincent

Kain Vincent

Monarch of Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

I didn't see my question in the main post, so I'll shoot.

I want to purchase PSN content from a different region (Japan), since they have a lot more stuff available. Do I have to create a second account or can I change the region on my current American account?
Hookbill is the best character in Tetris Attack 8-)
Game Collection|| Wishlist || Tradelist

#1057 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

I didn't see my question in the main post, so I'll shoot.

I want to purchase PSN content from a different region (Japan), since they have a lot more stuff available. Do I have to create a second account or can I change the region on my current American account?

New account. google: japanese psn

you will find instructions on how to do it step by step.

#1058 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:56 AM

So check this out. I bought my PS3 when those newer 80gb MGS4 Bundles came out 3-4 months back. I barely used it maybe a max of 15 hours on it. Today I go to watch a Blu Ray on it, pop the movie in and it just hangs on a blank screen. I thought it was weird so I tested out a PS3 game. popped it in and it doesn't even show up on the XMB. Tried 2 more games and 2 more blue rays with the same exact result.

I was sorely mistaken when I thought Sony = Quality Product. Pretty lame that my PS3 broke 8 months faster then my Xbox 360. Shame on you Sony.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do besides contact Sony? Maybe Reformat my HDD as I read certain updates have been messing peoples systems up. Fil me in PS3 crowd.

PS3s have a lower failure rate than 360s and probably even Wiis from the sounds of things. Not sure why you're getting all dramatic about it because no console (or electronic device) has a 0% failure rate. I think 5% is the average failure rate for electronics. Just because one console lasted longer for you than another doesn't mean it's the same story for everyone.

I'd contact Sony, sounds like you got a bad optical drive from the sounds of things.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#1059 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Ok gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I had to recently reset my router, and give it a different IP address (LinksysWRT54g) to something like 192.168.7.1 (???) because at .1.1 it "interfered" with my modem. So, after reconnecting my PS3 to the intarnetz, I have the dreaded NAT Type 3 (dun dun dun), so if anyone has any solutions to this problem at all, let me know as it will affect my PS3, 360 and Wii play.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1060 pimpinc333

pimpinc333

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

PS3s have a lower failure rate than 360s and probably even Wiis from the sounds of things. Not sure why you're getting all dramatic about it because no console (or electronic device) has a 0% failure rate. I think 5% is the average failure rate for electronics. Just because one console lasted longer for you than another doesn't mean it's the same story for everyone.

I'd contact Sony, sounds like you got a bad optical drive from the sounds of things.

It's not the same story for everyone, but in my case it was. How does some thing break when it's never in use is what i'm trying to figure out.

Anywho. I ran the 6 hour reformat and now my PS3 is operation again. I'm guessing I got a bad firmware update from Sony. I read numerous online forums and it seems like I wasn't the only one. A ton of people complained about the update breaking their systems as well.

#1061 Oxygen

Oxygen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

Ok gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I had to recently reset my router, and give it a different IP address (LinksysWRT54g) to something like 192.168.7.1 (???) because at .1.1 it "interfered" with my modem. So, after reconnecting my PS3 to the intarnetz, I have the dreaded NAT Type 3 (dun dun dun), so if anyone has any solutions to this problem at all, let me know as it will affect my PS3, 360 and Wii play.

Is Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) enabled on both the router and the PS3? I think it is enabled by default on the PS3. That might make it easier for the PS3 to get the ports open that it needs.

#1062 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

It's not the same story for everyone, but in my case it was. How does some thing break when it's never in use is what i'm trying to figure out.

Anywho. I ran the 6 hour reformat and now my PS3 is operation again. I'm guessing I got a bad firmware update from Sony. I read numerous online forums and it seems like I wasn't the only one. A ton of people complained about the update breaking their systems as well.

Bad units do get out of the factory, not all units work perfectly right out of the box. Remember the fiasco with all the failing 360's upon launch?

Good to hear it's ok. Looks like you were one of many who suffered from the crappy 3.40 firmware update that gave tons of people problems.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#1063 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

Well, the router had to switch to a different IP address to .2.1. They said I had to do port triggering. Anyone have any numbers?
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1064 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

That's sort of weird formatting the hard disk would fix the Blu Ray drive, but glad it works! Stranger things have happened :)

STILL waiting on Nintendo to ship me a label to send back my Wii (no coffin = lame).

#1065 rynomite

rynomite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:23 AM

I just upgraded my PS3 hard drive to a 160gb. I've got all my network stuff up and running as i'm able to use the browser. However, I CANNOT sign in to the PSN store at all. I need to be able to re-download all the games I've bought in the last 6 months.

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot sign into the store but my internet connection is fine and dandy?
I know my username and password are correct as I'm able to sign into the PC version of the store.

#1066 aeauvian

aeauvian

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

Is Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) enabled on both the router and the PS3? I think it is enabled by default on the PS3. That might make it easier for the PS3 to get the ports open that it needs.

uPnP is BAD. You don't need it for Nat type 2 (Which is the good one, means you have a router but it shouldn't be interfering). Did you open and forward the ports to your PS3's IP address? To do this, you'd go into the Gaming section (If you have a linksys), and find all the ports that sony needs, which are:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

and forward them to an address such as 192.168.7.199.

Next, you go into your PS3's internet settings, and set the IP address (instead of automatic) to 192.168.7.199. It should connect, and should be that IP, and should be fine on the NAT.

Anyway, to expand on why uPnP, the purpose of it is to be able to have a system open whatever ports it needs automically on your router. This presents a huge security risk, and UPnP isn't authenticated. You can read more about it at http://en.wikipedia....l_Plug_and_Play

Another option for those with more advanced routers, such as DD-WRT, is a static DNS lease based on mac address. It is located under the services tab, and you can input the mac address of your PS3 (Located in the network settings), and have your router automatically assign your ps3 to the IP that the ports are forwarded to, which allows you to keep your PS3 on automatic DNS settings.

#1067 PaulieVal

PaulieVal

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

looking for member that wanna joing a group for BURNOUT & future FULL games on the psn

PM me
PSN : PaulieVal
Sharp AQUOS LC52D92U 52" 1080p Flat Panel - PS3 500GB (60GB model)
PS2 Slim Modded Modchip w/ ModBo 4.0 & Nintendo Wii Modded w/ WiiFree Modchip
Yamaha RX-V661 7.1 - Home Theater Receiver w/ Boston Acoustics Speaker System All The Way Around

#1068 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

Wrong thread.

#1069 Azumangaman

Azumangaman

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

uPnP is BAD. You don't need it for Nat type 2 (Which is the good one, means you have a router but it shouldn't be interfering). Did you open and forward the ports to your PS3's IP address? To do this, you'd go into the Gaming section (If you have a linksys), and find all the ports that sony needs, which are:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

and forward them to an address such as 192.168.7.199.

Next, you go into your PS3's internet settings, and set the IP address (instead of automatic) to 192.168.7.199. It should connect, and should be that IP, and should be fine on the NAT..

I did this, but I can't get past connecting to the access point (I also have the EVIL NAT type 3.) What do I do?
I keep getting a DNS error.

#1070 Stingermck

Stingermck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

So me and a friend just learned the hard way about activating/deactivating a system. In July we both sold our systems to upgrade to the 80gb MGS4 bundle. But we did not know to deactivate the system for each PSN account.

I also have 2 PSN accounts. The first I set up quickly, with 1 purchase, and then my 2nd that I use all the time. And since we share, those 3 names are now tied to 4 systems.

Ive called Sony to see if they can deactivate my old system (which Ive read some users have had success with) They have to call me back.

I called again to delete my 1st PSN name, but was told that its impossible.

What a mess. Sony's PS3 knowledge system makes mention of terminating an account, but that can mess with everything depending on Master/Sub settings. Or they suggest you can call and request the account be banned! Geez.

#1071 agordonwsu

agordonwsu

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:23 AM

Here's my situation. I have an older 52' RCA 1080i HDTV. It only has Component HD imputs. NO HDMI. The components are full with my 360, and HDTV programming. My TV also has a DVI connection, but it isn't the standard one but DVI-digital, the dual link I believe. IT looks the DVI -Dual link in this photo.http://upload.wikime...r_Types.svg.png

So I'm looking to use the DVI connection for my PS3 as opposed to buying a component spllitter and having to leave my couch to switch.

Most of the DVI ones look like the single link http://cgi.ebay.com/...d=p3286.c0.m14
Are these compatible?

If I do go DVI is there any difference in picture quality? Any other suggestions? TIA

#1072 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

Are these compatible?

If I do go DVI is there any difference in picture quality? Any other suggestions? TIA

Dual link is compatible with Dual link and Single link, so it should work.

There is no difference between HDMI and DVI in picture quality. HDMI is basically DVI + Sound.

If you already own an HDMI cable, you could just get an adaptor.

#1073 JMEPO

JMEPO

Drakes Deception

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:55 AM

Post your question here:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=165729

#1074 torifile

torifile

CAGiversary?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

Is it possible to swap HDs from 2 PS3s? I'm getting an 80 gig PS3 from ebay and I'm taking my current one back to Target. It's also an 80 gig model. If I deactivate my Target one and activate my ebay one, can I just swap the HDs in the 2 so that I don't need to redownload/install all of my games?

#1075 StrandedBrit

StrandedBrit

Invaders Must Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

You could swap but it'd do no good. The backup process the PS3 uses, ties the backup to that particular PS3. When you restore on the new one most your stuff would be missing (i.e. gameshare stuff/downloads).

Good move to deactive the old one anyway. That way one of your shares isn't taken up but you will have to redownload everything.
Posted Image

#1076 torifile

torifile

CAGiversary?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:20 AM

You could swap but it'd do no good. The backup process the PS3 uses, ties the backup to that particular PS3. When you restore on the new one most your stuff would be missing (i.e. gameshare stuff/downloads).

Good move to deactive the old one anyway. That way one of your shares isn't taken up but you will have to redownload everything.

Ok. So my PS3 actually sold on ebay for $600! So now I need to wipe it and I won't get the chance to try out the swap. What's the best way to get it ready for sale? Obviously I need to deactivate it and format it. Is that all?

#1077 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:39 AM

I'm looking to get a PS3. Generally, it goes like this, correct (in order from best to worst)?

60GB, 80GB (old), and a wash between the 40 and the 20

#1078 torifile

torifile

CAGiversary?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:47 AM

I'm looking to get a PS3. Generally, it goes like this, correct (in order from best to worst)?

60GB, 80GB (old), and a wash between the 40 and the 20

It's actually more complicated that than. The 60 gig is definitely the best if we're talking used and the 80 is good if you don't care about BC but want wireless. If you want BC and don't care about wifi, the 20 might be better. And vice versa. The 40 could be better than the 20 if you want wifi but not BC. Tell us what your priorities are and we'll be able to tell you which is best.

#1079 StrandedBrit

StrandedBrit

Invaders Must Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

Ok. So my PS3 actually sold on ebay for $600! So now I need to wipe it and I won't get the chance to try out the swap. What's the best way to get it ready for sale? Obviously I need to deactivate it and format it. Is that all?

Yup.
Posted Image

#1080 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

From some of these comments-can someone confirm that you *CAN* deactivate a PS3 in the menu and then "reactivate" a new one so that you can use any content you "bought" on it? And do that any arbitrary number of times?

It's sounding like people are saying you can do that, but before people were saying the opposite.

EDIT: This will affect where I rent the Bionic Commando remake and Megaman 9...the PS3's controller has SUCH a better d-pad, but the 360's rental system is (I thought) more lenient in that at least you can transfer content once a year (if their activation servers are still up...)