Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2769 replies to this topic

#1081 StrandedBrit

StrandedBrit

Invaders Must Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

From some of these comments-can someone confirm that you *CAN* deactivate a PS3 in the menu and then "reactivate" a new one so that you can use any content you "bought" on it? And do that any arbitrary number of times?

It's sounding like people are saying you can do that, but before people were saying the opposite.

EDIT: This will affect where I rent the Bionic Commando remake and Megaman 9...the PS3's controller has SUCH a better d-pad, but the 360's rental system is (I thought) more lenient in that at least you can transfer content once a year (if their activation servers are still up...)

The deactivating is more of a safeguard than anything else. Even if you buy another PS3 (presuming you haven't shared your account/had 5 PS3s die on you) you can still download all your bought stuff to it. Activating/Deactivating is more a concern for gamesharers/people who have gone through multiple machines.

Also, not sure what you mean by rent ....
Posted Image

#1082 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:16 PM

It's impossible to "buy" content that uses an "activation" system, hence rental, but anyway that's good...if I'm understanding right, you CAN move content an unlimited number of times (basically like iTunes) as long as you remember to deactivate first, which is good...if I'm understanding it right, that would be better than Microsoft's system (at least slightly)....except I know there are exceptions at least in the number of times something can be activated without deactivation on Sony's system...

#1083 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

It's actually more complicated that than. The 60 gig is definitely the best if we're talking used and the 80 is good if you don't care about BC but want wireless. If you want BC and don't care about wifi, the 20 might be better. And vice versa. The 40 could be better than the 20 if you want wifi but not BC. Tell us what your priorities are and we'll be able to tell you which is best.

Reliability is first for me, followed by cost. It's a wash for me cause while I'd like to have the ability to play PS2 games whenever I want, I doubt I'm going to use it that much, and I usually do all my gaming right next to my computer, so I just play online wired.

#1084 PotatoGuy

PotatoGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:04 PM

I can't find any information on this problem and I was wondering if anyone knows anything on this or has thesame problem.

I own a Samsung 46' Series 6 (LN46A650A).
i have a 80 gig ps3 from the mgs4 bundles.
I am using a monster HDMI ver1.3 (red logo) cable.

the problem is that the screen will fuzz for a split second. there is some grey static and you can hear a pop. i have seen it when watching dvds and even on the main XMB menu. i have never seen it when playing games or blu rays.

it only happens sometimes when it is first turned on. after longer use the issue does not seem to happen. its not very frequent but still anoying.

Ideas?

#1085 v1c70r

v1c70r

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

I bought some off Craigslistt but he lived about 2 hours away and he shipped first so i bit. Problem is they have the case and everything but they dont look blue like a regular blu ray game and when i put it in

Insead of saying like Unchartered(Press x to play) It says BDROM or something like that?

#1086 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Does it work?

Take a picture of the disk.

#1087 Deadpool 3.0

Deadpool 3.0

Deadpool 3.0

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

There not fake. What makes you think they are fake anyway? It doesn't tell the name of the movie like it does for games. I'm pretty sure all of my blu-rays says BD-Rom that is normal.

deadpool_signature_by_hsalpihw-d38xyht.p

#1088 kennistond

kennistond

I'm so LOST

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

That's normal for most Blu-rays.

Only a select few actually say what they are on the Main Screen.

#1089 aquateen168

aquateen168

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

my blurays say things like that to

#1090 aquateen168

aquateen168

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

does anyone know when they will fix the disc names hopefully a future update

#1091 shadylane

shadylane

Believe...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:23 AM

Hey guys. I have a G- Drive and i would like to back up my content on my ps3 to that hard drive. But! the hard drive won't appear on my ps3. So i have a mac and would like to know how to go about formattinig that G-Drive

Shadylane310.png

33836.png

#1092 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

What do you mean by a "g drive"? If you've been using an external hard drive on your Mac, there's a chance it might be formatted in a Mac format (HFS+? I can't even remember right now...)

Not sure what the PS3 reads, but I'd guess FAT32, and maybe NTFS. You'd need to reformat.

#1093 shadylane

shadylane

Believe...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:26 AM

G- Drive is the brand. Fat32 i've tried...i will try HFS+ or NTFS

Shadylane310.png

33836.png

#1094 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

HFS+ shouldn't work. I'd really think FAT32 would be most likely to work, although NTFS is really better, and what it should support.

#1095 Filler2001

Filler2001

Literary Mercenary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:01 AM

2 Questions:

1) What's a good price to pay for a Warhawk headset used?
2) What's a good price to pay for Stuntman: Ignition used?

#1096 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:49 AM

The PS3 will only recognize a primary partition Fat32 drive under 32GB. It will not recognize anything over 32GB.

Question for anyone who has firmware 2.5, is the flash 9 video playback (like at GameTrailers, pron sites) choppy for you guys? I let the video fully load, then start to play it and it's just not smooth. It doesn't matter if I watch HD or SD videos.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#1097 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

OK, quick question here.....I was done gaming and was just going back and forth with a friend via messages. I had a web browser open in the background. All of sudden, out of nowhere, my PS3 beeps once.

I didn't do any kind of bad shutdown of any program recently, but that would've prompted the 3 beep.

So, wtf does a single beep during normal operation mean? I'm curious....and worried.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#1098 StrandedBrit

StrandedBrit

Invaders Must Die

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

I've had a single beep a few time during messages. Not sure why but I think it's hitting a wrong button. Not sure. I'll see if I can recreate the error and post back, unless someone has a real explanation.
Posted Image

#1099 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

I've had a single beep a few time during messages. Not sure why but I think it's hitting a wrong button. Not sure. I'll see if I can recreate the error and post back, unless someone has a real explanation.

Thanks. I probably did just hit the wrong button or something, since the PS3 wasn't overheating. At least, I didn't notice it being too hot. If anything, maybe it was too cold, since I'm kind of putting off putting on the heat till month's end here in the northeast(if I can).

I mean, I played it for about 4-5 hours, then went to do a little messaging and surfing before shutting it down and aside from the summertime when it was balmy inside and out, I've never had the PS3 get uber warm.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#1100 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:13 AM

The PS3 will only recognize a primary partition Fat32 drive under 32GB. It will not recognize anything over 32GB.

Are you talking about for an external drive?

Because I have a 500Gb external drive formatted to FAT32 and the PS3 reads it just fine. I have it filled with about 250Gb of videos and music and it lists everything fine. The drive is single partition, all FAT32.
Posted Image

#1101 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

Is FAT32 what the PS3 uses internally? Shouldn't it be using something newer? Or do you just mean it has been formatted FAT32 and then you select to format it from the menus when you put it in?

#1102 chiners

chiners

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

I also have this problem do I need my reciept to get it rectified under warenty.

#1103 js1

js1

Badassfully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

hahaha.... too late, I already did the format / restore option and all w/out making backups (except my save games) because it wanted like 10gb of free space. All I had is a 1gb stick available. Not really concerned, I just didn't want people getting my info, but it still show's my name & e-mail address.

Can anyone tell me how to delete my user info??? (like I said, I did a full system format, and my info was still there - e-mail & password included (already deleted the password though)).

I think to delete the user, I think you can do it after you sign in. Just press triangle on your picture and I think the options should pop up, that should give you the option to delete the user from the system.

Gamertags:

PSN: Ghost_Face_36

XBL:  Gh0st Face 36

Twitch: 

Spoiler

#1104 Soujiro_Seta

Soujiro_Seta

Restless Soul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

So my uncle just bought an hdtv and I went over to his place to try my ps3 on it. But when I hooked up the hdmi it didnt work. I had to hook it up with the regular red, yellow, white cables then on the menu I had to switch video input to hdmi before it started working. When I bought the ps3 home I tried the regular cables again and they didnt work. I had to hook it back up with hdmi and switch the input back to the regular cables before it would work on my non hdtv. My question is is there any way that the ps3 can sense the input method without me having to switch it each time? Or am I going to have to remember to switch it each time? Thanks!

#1105 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

If you need to reset to SD (from being HD), here's what you need to do:
-Turn on the PS3 by pressing it's power/standby button on the front of the console.
-The PS3 will beep
-Hold the PS3 power button for 5 seconds until you hear a 2nd beep

The PS3 will reset to 480i and work on a regular TV. It's in the manual somewhere.
Posted Image

#1106 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

So I just got my 40GB PS3 from eBay today.

I'm getting the following games from Goozex...

MGS 4
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank
Resistance
MLB The Show 08
Lair
Ridge Racer 7
Ninja Gaiden

What other games should I get that are multi platformers that are better on the PS3?
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#1107 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

Off the top of my head, Oblivion, Bioshock, Mercenaries 2, and Burnout Paradise look better on PS3. Probably more I'm forgetting. Sort of hard to find real info, as most are really close anymore. (Mercs 2 I'm just going by videos, that to me were really blatantly obvious-much higher resolution resolution textures, better water, etc.)

#1108 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Off the top of my head, Oblivion, Bioshock, Mercenaries 2, and Burnout Paradise look better on PS3. Probably more I'm forgetting. Sort of hard to find real info, as most are really close anymore. (Mercs 2 I'm just going by videos, that to me were really blatantly obvious-much higher resolution resolution textures, better water, etc.)

But do they play better? I know I've heard how there are some games on the PS3 that doesn't play as good as it does on the 360.

I think The Orange Box may be one of them?
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#1109 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

The Orange box is a bad port, I guess. Or at least Episodes 1 and 2 on it are. It was handled by some team at EA, and not Valve (who's been really anti-Playstation for several years).

Not sure if all of those ones I mentioned play any better, or just look a bit better. Oblivion seems to be more stable on the PS3 than my 360 copy was, combined with looking better, but who knows. For some reason not many reviews seem to mention much of this stuff.

#1110 NTolerance

NTolerance

Vich one of you is crying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

Anyone had issues with their Blu-ray drive after the 2.50 update? It's probably just a coincidence, but my PS3 now won't read any discs, DVD or Blu-ray. It's a 40GB model that was purchased in February 2008. Is it worth it to do a system restore/format or should I just call for an RMA?

Edit: Just in time for LBP! :bouncy: