PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
To help remove some of the everyday clutter threads, I have compiled a list of the most commonly looked at and discussed links:
PS3 Comparison Chart:

If you have been directed to this thread, check the above links to see if your question fits best in one of the topics above, if not, please post your question here in this thread.

Any other questions, problems, suggestions not covered on the above topics, please feel free to discuss here. If you have any suggestions for additional topics to be added here, please let me know by posting a link here or PM me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was annoyed with having to have the PS3 on to charge too, but I just bought a 7 port USB hub that plugs into the wall. I got too many "accessories" (controllers, headsets, phones...) that are usb that need to charge, so I can just stick 'em all in hub and have them all charge in one location. Cheap too.

I've seen the charges stations at best buy, but they always seem so expensive.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Yeah I was annoyed with having to have the PS3 on to charge too, but I just bought a 7 port USB hub that plugs into the wall. I got too many "accessories" (controllers, headsets, phones...) that are usb that need to charge, so I can just stick 'em all in hub and have them all charge in one location. Cheap too.

I've seen the charges stations at best buy, but they always seem so expensive.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Hadn't thought about that at all. Good suggestion. Thanks!
-G

I bought my 60 GB PS3 in September of last year and it has worked perfectly UNTIL I was watching Damages on Blu-Ray and the screen froze. I turned off the PS3, took out the disc and it seemed fine. However, since then the PS3 will not read any disc I put in (I have tried games, BRs, DVDs and PS2 games). I updated to 2.10, reset my system settings, unplugged the console, nothing works...I have sent an e-mail to Sony but has anyone had any similar issues???

I have a similar problem with my 20GB except it seems to just be bluray movies and it would freeze 15 minutes after play. Games worked fine. I ended up just getting a 60GB. I still have to 20GB. I'll probably fiddle with it in a month or so and see if I can get it fixed.
Good luck with your problem.

My wife's cousin had an 80GB do the exact same thing. They were playing Ratchet & Clank, and finished a level, it hung at the "loading" screen. When the restarted it, it refused to recognize CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays. They called and ordered a coffin, the whole process took roughly 10 days.

This is apparently a VERY common problem. The read mechanism in the PS3 is horrendously complex, and with that complexity comes a high failure rate. I've probably heard of as many failures of the pick-up-head as all other PS3 failures combined.

So you can get a Wii that has no good games, an XBox 360 that has a 30% failure rate or a PS3 that has more errors than...than...I dont know but man that sucks. You should put a dead fish in the coffin...

can't sat i'v had this problem, and mine's a 60gb bought last jan. of 2007 with a lot of use on it. the only problem i'v heard of on the ps3 is the yellow load hang up light, and that's sopposed to be rare. I'd call sony directly and find out what they have to say

The problem is quite common at the PS3 forums. Every week, I see at least 3-4 threads over a PS3 console no longer reading discs (but then again, it's the biggest PS3 fan site and has tons of members). Most of them are 60GB consoles, since many of them have an older blu-ray disc diode (I believe manufacturing of 60GB consoles ended in March 2007). I've heard it happen to some 40GB/80GB consoles, but very rarely (Have only heard a few 20GB consoles not work, but there aren't many out there). I thought I heard of Sony extending warranties who had disc reading problems for some (this was back in January though). Be sure you still have your receipt.

One person who had a PS3 from another region and wouldn't be able to send it away, so he took an ear tip and some rubbing alcohol, cleaned the laser, and the games worked again. Two issues I'm hearing are PS3 consoles getting too dusty inside (causing disc reading problems due to the laser not being strong enough or something), or the laser gets stuck and needs to be adjusted.

Not being able to read disc is the most common PS3 issues, followed by only making three beeps, yellow light of death (hardware failure), and every once in a while a HDD problem.
[quote name='JMEPO']So you can get a Wii that has no good games, an XBox 360 that has a 30% failure rate or a PS3 that has more errors than...than...I dont know but man that sucks. You should put a dead fish in the coffin...[/QUOTE]All next gen consoles have problems. There were issues with some Wii consoles getting an error (mine has) and early consoles with Wii Connect 24. It's true there are many different errors with PS3, but the failure rate still seems to be no higher than 5% thankfully (from what I gather).

But I will say, the easy way to kill a PS3 is by Folding@Home too much. The majority of people I know who had PS3 problems (mostly with no longer turning on or HDD failure) have come from Folding too much (to a point the console got too much wear and tear).

I have a 60gig, and I haven't had any problems playing games (ps3 or ps2) or watching dvds, but on some blu-rays I get this 3 second skip every so often. I read up on the forums about it and apparently it was an issue that was supposed to get fixed by a past firmware update. I have the latest firmware though so I have no idea what to do next.

Problems with an occasional skip are probably related to firmware. Originally, Sony would release a new update fixing these issues within two weeks (they'd be update 1.92, 1.93, etc. as an example), but due to many people complaining about having too many firmware updates (even just minor bug fixes), they have now chosen to push fixes and small updates within one update every once in a while.

I have a 40 gig and it suffered a broken disc drive (wouldn't load ANY disc, wouldn't even spin). Sony had me send the entire system back and they sent me an entire new 40 gig, still had the a seal on the replacement retail box! I haven't had any similar problems since.

Call Sony and explain what problems you are having.
Best.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']One person who had a PS3 from another region and wouldn't be able to send it away, so he took an ear tip and some rubbing alcohol, cleaned the laser, and the games worked again. Two issues I'm hearing are PS3 consoles getting too dusty inside (causing disc reading problems due to the laser not being strong enough or something), or the laser gets stuck and needs to be adjusted. [/quote]

Those were also fairly common problems with the PS2 last gen too and cleaning the laser with a q-tip with rubbing alcohol was a common fix for when the systems wouldn't read discs. Unfortunately, it was sometimes the motor that spins the discs which failed and that was a whole different beast altogether.

Hi I just bought a 40gb PS3 and now I am trying to install a WD2500BEVSRTL 250GB/SATA hard drive. I read the manual, used google and watch some vids on youtube but I can't get my ps3 to read the harddrive.

Startup
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/jumper6888/ps3help/IMG_0815.jpg

after pushing the PS button
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/jumper6888/ps3help/IMG_0816.jpg

after pushing the Select + Start button
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/jumper6888/ps3help/IMG_0817.jpg

after done checking
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/jumper6888/ps3help/IMG_0818.jpg

I am using both the CD-RW for the updated V2.20 downloaded from sony.com and the FAT32 usb flash drive.
(ROOT--> PS3--> UPDATE--> PS3UPDAT.PUP)

I tested the harddrive on my friend's 60GB PS3 and it worked just fine. The format screen came up when I booted up the PS3.

I exchanged my 40GB PS3 today and still ran into the same problem. Please help.

do you have your 40gb harddrive, put that back in your ps3 and update the system; then put in your new hard drive and format it.

[quote name='Thomas96']do you have your 40gb harddrive, put that back in your ps3 and update the system; then put in your new hard drive and format it.[/QUOTE]

I did that but now it got
No applicable update data was found.
Insert storage media that contains update data of version 2.20 or later, and press the START and SELECT button at the same time.

I'm stomped. I think I am going to exchange the HD and see if that works. If not im going to return the PS3 and just wait for the MGS bundle.

Did you actually format the hard drive on your friend's system?

If so, it could be because he had firmware 2.20 and it installed some system files to the drive. It shouldn't be asking you to update your firmware just to install a hard drive.

I would recommend either trying to format the drive with a PC or putting your 40 gig drive back in and installing the update online and not from a cd.

[quote name='7dustfan']Did you actually format the hard drive on your friend's system?

If so, it could be because he had firmware 2.20 and it installed some system files to the drive. It shouldn't be asking you to update your firmware just to install a hard drive.

I would recommend either trying to format the drive with a PC or putting your 40 gig drive back in and installing the update online and not from a cd.[/QUOTE]

good point

You need to format first before updating. I don't know why you're trying to update when the hard drive isn't formatted yet.

Put the drive in your PS3, tell the PS3 to format it, then try updating.

If you for some reason can't format it, put your 40GB back in, connect to the internet and do the automatic update.

Sounds like a good idea Linkin. I might do the same for all the CAG PSN gaming threads (combine them into the main thread I created by posting links like you).

Lol, this should really just be the ask Mana Knight thread. ;) J/K. If I remember any other important threads, I'll let you know.

Could you just not fuck around with shit?

Honestly, I was thinking that there should eventually be a comprehensive FAQ thread similar to Strell's in the Wii forum; but it should be made by someone who actually cares enough to edit it (like TMK). The PS3 username thread should be restuck without question. I'd also like to see my firmware updates thread back up until there's a chance to integrate it into a comprehensive general thread. With it buried like it is now, people will just make more clutter threads every time a firmware update appears. I spent a fair amount of time making and editing that thread and I don't want to see that happen.

Ugamer_X...I'm not closing threads here...check the OP its obvious what's going on here. I don't see how your thread could be "lost" if the link to your thread is in the OP which is stickied.
There's was obviously way to many stickies in all of the forums.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ugamer_X...I'm not closing threads here...check the OP its obvious what's going on here. I don't see how your thread could be "lost" if the link to your thread is in the OP which is stickied.
There's was obviously way to many stickies in all of the forums.[/QUOTE]

But the link to my thread isn't in the OP. That's really not the problem though; the system updates thread doesn't get daily activity, so it will inevitably get buried. Rather than having to dig it up whenever there is an update, why not leave it stickied? You've eliminated what, 2-3 stickied threads? Congratulations, my index finger will thank you for the half-a-millisecond less of scrolling it has to do. I just don't understand the point of having to click through twice just to find a topic. We know that most users won't even bother to check this thread and we'll have more pointless threads being made. If you're going to de-list a bunch of threads, why not de-list them all while you're at it? It will all serve the same purpose under your reasoning.

So I'm trying to set up a media server on my ps3 with the hope that I may be able to remote play from my PSP and watch stuff wirelessly within the house.

I've got the Media Server stuff set up, gone into WMP11, enabled library, added my folders and video files and such. The PS3 recognizes all of this and I can see all my video files with preview pictures from the video file. However, when I try to play them on the PS3, a huge majority of my video files come up with the error "Unsupported data." Anybody know why that is? They are mostly divx files I believe, and even if they aren't, the PS3 seems to be able to pick out a preview image of the video file for when I'm scrolling through my folder. Out of a dozen or so video files (I have many more in my folder, I just checked a few to test things out), maybe one or two of them will work. I thought it'd probably be an incompatible video codec thing, but here's the weird thing; When I go to check the details on the files from within the PS3, all of them come up as blank for the video codec (it shows as a dash to signify nothing), even for the video files that work.

Anybody know what's up with this? Are my video files not divx after all? Would I have to convert every single file to be ps3 compatible...? Cuz shoot...that would not be very cool at all :\

I'm having sort of the same problem. I usually hook up my external hard drive w/FAT partition to play video files, never had a problem once the divx compatability came through. Currently, I've been downloading series from a torrent KKM (anime), I've got a mess of .avi files, all divx encoded from the same subber, and it's about half and half which ones my PS3 plays. Even converting the unplayables ones to mpg4 didn't work.

I don't want to say anything, but it started about the same time as the last system update...

Anyone else having a problem with divx files?

What are the odds of getting a thread consolidating all of the active CAG leagues for games that are played at a scheduled time each week? I know they usually hang at the top of the forum anyway, but it would be nice and neat

[quote name='QiG']What are the odds of getting a thread consolidating all of the active CAG leagues for games that are played at a scheduled time each week? I know they usually hang at the top of the forum anyway, but it would be nice and neat[/QUOTE]My thread is usually kept at least within two pages, so don't worry. There are still some flaws with it, because only a few games are listed in it (there are some games which aren't fully integrated in it, partially because of mis-communication between the one handling the game. I am trying to get it more organized (It's definitely a lot better than it use to be).

Instead of index threads (which, in my opinion, are pointless unless they are used as "HEY NEWBIE! LOOK HERE FIRST!" threads, since now it's more difficult, or at least easier to miss a new post, for those of us who liked to check the threads like the PS3 101 thread for new posts that we could help with) perhaps things like CAG clan/groups should have their own sub-forum.

So I'm trying to set up a media server on my ps3 with the hope that I may be able to remote play from my PSP and watch stuff wirelessly within the house.

I've got the Media Server stuff set up, gone into WMP11, enabled library, added my folders and video files and such. The PS3 recognizes all of this and I can see all my video files with preview pictures from the video file. However, when I try to play them on the PS3, a huge majority of my video files come up with the error "Unsupported data." Anybody know why that is? They are mostly divx files I believe, and even if they aren't, the PS3 seems to be able to pick out a preview image of the video file for when I'm scrolling through my folder. Out of a dozen or so video files (I have many more in my folder, I just checked a few to test things out), maybe one or two of them will work. I thought it'd probably be an incompatible video codec thing, but here's the weird thing; When I go to check the details on the files from within the PS3, all of them come up as blank for the video codec (it shows as a dash to signify nothing), even for the video files that work.

Anybody know what's up with this? Are my video files not divx after all? Would I have to convert every single file to be ps3 compatible...? Cuz shoot...that would not be very cool at all :\

I'm having sort of the same problem. I usually hook up my external hard drive w/FAT partition to play video files, never had a problem once the divx compatability came through. Currently, I've been downloading series from a torrent KKM (anime), I've got a mess of .avi files, all divx encoded from the same subber, and it's about half and half which ones my PS3 plays. Even converting the unplayables ones to mpg4 didn't work.

I don't want to say anything, but it started about the same time as the last system update...

Anyone else having a problem with divx files?

What are the odds of getting a thread consolidating all of the active CAG leagues for games that are played at a scheduled time each week? I know they usually hang at the top of the forum anyway, but it would be nice and neat

[quote name='QiG']What are the odds of getting a thread consolidating all of the active CAG leagues for games that are played at a scheduled time each week? I know they usually hang at the top of the forum anyway, but it would be nice and neat[/QUOTE]My thread is usually kept at least within two pages, so don't worry. There are still some flaws with it, because only a few games are listed in it (there are some games which aren't fully integrated in it, partially because of mis-communication between the one handling the game. I am trying to get it more organized (It's definitely a lot better than it use to be).

Instead of index threads (which, in my opinion, are pointless unless they are used as "HEY NEWBIE! LOOK HERE FIRST!" threads, since now it's more difficult, or at least easier to miss a new post, for those of us who liked to check the threads like the PS3 101 thread for new posts that we could help with) perhaps things like CAG clan/groups should have their own sub-forum.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'll talk to the big man and see if a CAG Game Night subforum can be made.[/QUOTE]I mentioned that before in your suggestion thread, with CAG Assistance and stuff, how it would be good to have an online sub forum (not just for PS3, but for 360 and Wii also).

I haven't heard of anybody making one so far. If they come out with one, it probably won't be until the next round of GH and RBs.

There's no bluetooth guitar because third parties currently don't have special access to the PS3 bluetooth. There was an article about it once:
All of us PS3 owners know that our sexy console sports Bluetooth technology -- real awesome stuff, being able to attempt to play Warhawk while cooking in the kitchen and the TV is upstairs in a bedroom. Anyway, Red Octane doesn't seem to think Bluetooth is all it's cracked up to be. It's been revealed that the PS3 version of Guitar Hero 3 will force PS3 owners to attach a wireless USB dongle to their consoles instead of using the Bluetooth technology. Well, that might not be true. Red Octane is blaming Sony for this USB device. Let's investigate!

1UP contacted Red Octane for comment and they replied: "Our products require considerable time for certification and testing to perfect both our software & hardware, so this was the most effective way for us to bring a high quality wireless solution for PS3 this holiday." Since that didn't adequately answer why, they pried further, since the Wii uses Bluetooth but won't require such a crazy USB device. Apparently the Bluetooth technology only works with the Sixaxis and Sony doesn't have the technology set up to allow third-parties to use it. That's a little strange sounding.

Sony gave vague answers, using the word consider many, many times: "Many factors were in play regarding the decision to go USB wireless vs Bluetooth for GH3. However, we are considering Bluetooth for future consideration." Everything else is classified! This is a minor issue, but speculation seems to surround the PS3's strange de-sync with the Sixaxis. Surely that would be a horrifying situation while strumming your axe, so perhaps Red Octane decided not to risk that problem on the PS3. Who knows. Does anyone really care? Wireless is wireless, right?
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/10/11/why-is-red-octane-giving-ps3-a-wireless-dongle/

At least yours works somewhat.

My linksys wireless just boots me off and shuts down my entire router (needs a hard reset). Some sort of problem with the WRT54G that Sony/Linksys still havent addressed.

I had to turn off the ability to connect/recognize wireless networks.

I'm a bit skeptical about that... The guitars have a PS button and they work just like controllers at the XMB, right? I'm willing to bet bluetooth is just more expensive, and they'd probably have to include internal rechargeable batteries.

I was wondering how well the PS2 emulation is on a PS3 without an Emotion Engine. It would help if you could compare it to the Xbox360 backwards compatibility.

bread's done
Back