Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2763 replies to this topic

#2521 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

^ Supposedly, you can type in the code and view the contents and as long as you don't select the option to continue it's still a valid code. I've personally never done it though.

Neither have I. I've never input a code that I didn't intend to redeem.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2522 metaly

metaly

In the world, only this island is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

This may have been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Is it possible to verify a PSN code is valid without actually using the code?

I just tested this with an LA Noire code. I put in the code on one account and it brought up the screen showing what the code was for. Then I switched accounts, entered the code again and was able to redeem it. So there you go.

#2523 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

I just tested this with an LA Noire code. I put in the code on one account and it brought up the screen showing what the code was for. Then I switched accounts, entered the code again and was able to redeem it. So there you go.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2524 DerClaw

DerClaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

Would you guys mind helping me with a problem I am having because of a language barrier issue? I would appreciate it:

I sold a Kombat Pass (for 1.55 -- so I basically have made 30 cents, woot!) mostly because I'm trying to sell some stuff to get my ebay rating up, but some guy in Puerto Rico bought it. He apparently only speaks spanish and is running everything through Google translator.

He says the Kombat Pass is not working. I had him e-mail me the Pass Key back (because he wanted the code mailed to him unopened). Quite frankly, I figured he was scamming me, because he refused to e-mail me the code for ~5 days and kept insisting that I just send him another code.

Anyway, the code is working (I tried putting it in on my PS3 and it gets to the point that a working code gets to). I've talked to Sony and WB and both say that Puerto Rico is in the zone for the US and it should work.

So, uh, have any of you seen anything like this? Or maybe a Puerto Rican CAG here that can offer me some assistance in what to tell him. I sent him like a 15-step process for how he needs to redeem the code, but he keeps saying it's not working -- I assume he's either (1) putting it in wrong and can't understand me or (2) these codes don't work in Puerto Rico.

#2525 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

Would you guys mind helping me with a problem I am having because of a language barrier issue? I would appreciate it:

I sold a Kombat Pass (for 1.55 -- so I basically have made 30 cents, woot!) mostly because I'm trying to sell some stuff to get my ebay rating up, but some guy in Puerto Rico bought it. He apparently only speaks spanish and is running everything through Google translator.

He says the Kombat Pass is not working. I had him e-mail me the Pass Key back (because he wanted the code mailed to him unopened). Quite frankly, I figured he was scamming me, because he refused to e-mail me the code for ~5 days and kept insisting that I just send him another code.

Anyway, the code is working (I tried putting it in on my PS3 and it gets to the point that a working code gets to). I've talked to Sony and WB and both say that Puerto Rico is in the zone for the US and it should work.

So, uh, have any of you seen anything like this? Or maybe a Puerto Rican CAG here that can offer me some assistance in what to tell him. I sent him like a 15-step process for how he needs to redeem the code, but he keeps saying it's not working -- I assume he's either (1) putting it in wrong and can't understand me or (2) these codes don't work in Puerto Rico.

If its a US copy of the game, he has to be logged into the US store for it to work.

#2526 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

I got a question. I was playing borderlands last night and my fucker literally froze on me (right when I was at the boss), and it was the first time my PS3 ever did that. Now granted it was like 90 or something degrees in the room. Would it be a heat issue that my PS3 did that or is it more of a Borderlands fucking up?
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2527 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

I never had any freezing issues with Borderlands. I'd chalk it up to the temperature.
Spoiler

#2528 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Edit: Figured it out

Edited by 4thHorseman, 07 August 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#2529 Cerebral_One

Cerebral_One

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

I bought a PS3 Slim, hooked it up, and within an hour of using it my screen went all snowy and then blacked out for a while, got snowy again and finally image came back. Does anyone know why this happened or how to fix it?

I read online that others have this problem and it may be related to the HDMI cables but they weren't sure. Someone got rid of it by disabling deep color output, but I'd rather keep that.

#2530 Steadymobbin

Steadymobbin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

anyone with a large hdd try backing up yet?
i bought a 2tb hdd and i want to back up my 500gb with 230gb free space,
ps3 says 23hours....

#2531 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

I bought a PS3 Slim, hooked it up, and within an hour of using it my screen went all snowy and then blacked out for a while, got snowy again and finally image came back. Does anyone know why this happened or how to fix it?

I read online that others have this problem and it may be related to the HDMI cables but they weren't sure. Someone got rid of it by disabling deep color output, but I'd rather keep that.

That sounds like a handshake issue. Is your tv a older one?

#2532 Cerebral_One

Cerebral_One

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

That sounds like a handshake issue. Is your tv a older one?

My tv is from 2008.

#2533 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

My tv is from 2008.

I'd try a different hdmi cable and also try a different hdmi port.

#2534 Cerebral_One

Cerebral_One

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:58 AM

I'd try a different hdmi cable and also try a different hdmi port.

I'll try that and then post if it happens, unfortunately I won't have my PS3 back until late September.

#2535 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

Is it normal for the PS3 to sometimes just randomly beep? It's a 160GB slim, and for some reason sometimes (maybe once a day) it just lets out a random beep while I'm playing a game. I think it sounds like it's the Bluray drive thats making the noise, and Borderlands in particular causes it more than any other game. The screen doesn't stutter or make any noticeable change when it happens, so I'm not too worried that it's a major thing. However, my old PS3 (120GB slim) had it's Bluray drive die after about 13 months of owning it, so I'm a bit paranoid because of that.

#2536 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:00 AM

Is it normal for the PS3 to sometimes just randomly beep? It's a 160GB slim, and for some reason sometimes (maybe once a day) it just lets out a random beep while I'm playing a game. I think it sounds like it's the Bluray drive thats making the noise, and Borderlands in particular causes it more than any other game. The screen doesn't stutter or make any noticeable change when it happens, so I'm not too worried that it's a major thing. However, my old PS3 (120GB slim) had it's Bluray drive die after about 13 months of owning it, so I'm a bit paranoid because of that.

No, it's not normal. I have heard of that happening though. Sounds like a possibly minor defect. My slim has never randomly beeped.

#2537 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

Anyone have a good recommendation for trigger adapters/extenders for the DS3. I can't stand these damn triggers.
Posted Image

#2538 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

I know this is the PS3 section, but the PS2 one is dead so I'll ask it here.

I want to bring my PS2 to my dorm and play it on my HDTV. Is it worth getting a component cable for it? The only time I've used composite on an HDTV was with an N64 and it looked terrible.

#2539 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

Yes. I've used my PS2 with an HDTV for years and with a component cable it really doesn't look that bad. Some games still look pretty damn good, in fact.

#2540 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Question:

My new job entails quite a bit of travel, so I picked up a PSP for $75 with accessories on Craigslist. Anyway, I want to create an account on PSN to download some games, but for DAYS the site has said it's down for server maintenance. I've looked around many sites for discussion on this, and haven't found any mention of recent PSN problems.

Anyone else having this issue?

#2541 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

CAGs help.

Last night while watching a movie on my PS3 I was surprised with the Red Light of Death.:cry:

Someone please tell me that unlike the YLOD I can get it repaired without loosing the content in my hard drive.?

#2542 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Okay so just now I turned it on and it turned on normally.

Do you guys think I have enough time to do a backup?

This is a backwards compatible PS3 with 4-USB ports. It's an 80GB model with a 500GB hard drive update. There is 150 GB of space left out of the 450GB on it. So there there is a lot of backing up to do

I'm scared guys. What if it turns off during the backup?

#2543 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

You never have enough time to do a backup.
I would say nothing bad will happen (outside of whatever bad already happened to make it fail) if it turns off during backup. Mine did a few times when I was trying to back up when my power supply was failing, didn't adversely affect anything though.

#2544 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

If it's operational again, the first thing to do is back up your save files to an external drive. Sony's full backup utility isn't great and the difference is that it includes game data and everything else like profile information and console settings, video, picture and music files -- some of which can be backed up individually if need be. The game data and anything else you've downloaded through your PSN account(s) can be re-downloaded from your account history.

#2545 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

I was unable to do a back up. The PS3 just froze and I turned it off by holding the power button. Then it went back to the red light of death mode. This was around noon.

So is there any chance that I can get it fixed via 3rd party shop and not lose the content on the PS3?

Just now (12am midnight) I turned it on and it loaded normally. I don't think I can restore or back up anything on time. Do you guys think a shop can diagnose the problem as being the fan? And if the problem is the fan, can it be replaced without having to format my hard drive?

#2546 D_Icon

D_Icon

'D'_ott_Elitist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

So I took the PS3 to a local repair shop. They fixed it for $50, and the hard drive wasn't formatted. Right now I'm backing it up.

Doing the system back up, will all my videos and music back up too?

#2547 thunder_gamer

thunder_gamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:07 AM

So I took the PS3 to a local repair shop. They fixed it for $50, and the hard drive wasn't formatted. Right now I'm backing it up.

Doing the system back up, will all my videos and music back up too?

They should, unless it has DRM, then probably.

I got a question about the good old PS3 myself too. I was playing MAG then a sudden power loss caused by the cord loose, is that going to do much of damage to the hardware and/or the software? I am a little worried.

#2548 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

They should, unless it has DRM, then probably.

I got a question about the good old PS3 myself too. I was playing MAG then a sudden power loss caused by the cord loose, is that going to do much of damage to the hardware and/or the software? I am a little worried.

A power surge would do more damage. If it only lost power it would be like crashing a computer, but I don't think it is as severe on a PS3 as it would be to 'Windows'.

#2549 surak

surak

Pickle Inspector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

My 60GB phat got a YLOD. I don't care enough to get data off of it, since I got a slim last year figuring the original was on its last legs. Just wondering if there's anything I should do with the hardware?

I'm guessing the hdd could be put in a regular PC, but not sure if the Blu-ray drive is usable in anything other than another PS3.

#2550 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

I need a good recommendation for a good (preferably cheap) bluetooth headset. I have a 2 year old headset that I used with my phone but it went in the washer and now it sounds like shit. I have a Turtle Beach X11 that I use with both my 360 and PS3 since my monitor has 3.5mm out but that won't work too well with any bluetooth headset on my ear already. I was looking at the new PS3 headset but it won't work with my 360 and I would prefer to have only one. I know there are some headsets that will work with both the 360 and PS3 but those are a little pricey for me. Anyone with a 360 and PS3 have a good cheap solution?
Posted Image