Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2766 replies to this topic

#2611 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Ok, the logo looked the same for the Move Required and move compatible games, and I hadn't seen any move required games yet so I guess there aren't too many of those and that move is simply an optional add in on most games. Not that I won't acquire one eventually, but I am waiting till this motion fad dies down so I can get all of this stuff cheaper when it dies down.

#2612 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

so I thought the idea was that if you keep the downloads you can restore your pSN+ account and the files will work again. I'm a bit confused.

My 3 month sub to PSN+ was set to expire in April I think. When that date came it auto renewed from a CC I forgot was on file. No major biggie.. mostly my fault but the point is that it never actually lapsed. I'm still PSN+ right now. But my PSN+ games are expired. I went to play Simpsons yesterday and it was a trial. I'm looking thru my list and my PSN+ games are all expired (April 18 2012). Any clue what's going on or what I should try to get my games back?

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#2613 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

The Simpsons Arcade is an unlock code game, so the unlock code expires and turns it into the demo. You could try re-downloading the game from the store for quick access to it since you say you still have PS+. Have you tried starting up a game that didn't use an unlock code? It should ask to check the license with the PS Store and renew it since you're still PS+, which would've then prompted you to buy it if you weren't PS+ anymore.

The games are labeled by the expiration date they had when you first downloaded them, so they should only require a quick check to re-enable them for your account.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#2614 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

^Any chance your PS+ was through a different PSN ID?
Spoiler

#2615 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

thanks Frisky it's possible i hadn't tried any non-unlock key games. Frogger was just showing as expired and opened up fine. I'll have to go thru my list. Most of these games I haven't even booted up yet, but I can't have my games in trial mode next time I take my system somewhere for a party.

Any idea how this would work for key based games that are no longer PSN+ free?
Edit: nevermind Simpsons is no longer free and that worked out.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#2616 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

You should just have the download option on any game's page that you downloaded through PS+, which will give you the unlock key and demo.

#2617 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

ugh.. that's going ot be a pain in the neck to redo all these games. Even though I have a new router I tend to spend a lot of time offline for various reasons. Since they're all marked as "bought" in the PSn Store this means i can't go around adding to cart and then load them all at once. It means i have to game by game go in, download, push to background.

Yeah I can download just an unlock key for games that do that but most of my PSN+ stuff isn't. Esp things like my full game downloads.

Next system this will be much easier if they just mark games with a "Needs PSN+ (US)" flag and then my user account has an expiration date.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#2618 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

What happens when you try to start the normal games that are expired?

#2619 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

ugh..I'm a complete idiot. i forgot again.. in the span of 5 minutes that I can just start them.. my greatest apologies I'm working on some scheduling while I'm on the forum my head isn't where it should be.

My annoyance isn't having to go to the store but that I'm going to have to boot up the each game to refresh the exp date. While in the end that's less time it will require my presence more than going thru the store, pushing everything to background download and then turning off my PS3 (with the "After downloads complete" setting)

I'm gonna go get lunch or something before my next post is asking my first question all over again.

Once again thanks a bunch Frisky for your help.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#2620 DerClaw

DerClaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

So, uh, I rented a movie through the PSN store last night and promptly my PS3 managed to die on me once I started the movie (great timing!). I don't think that this is possible, but is there any way to watch the movie (since i have 24 hours to do so) without having a PS3? I remember you used to be able to log into PSN online, but I think they killed that a while back and I don't ever remember whether you could stream online anyway.

#2621 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

I tried out the 360's Razer Onza recently and absolutely loved how the face buttons felt, they were kind of like the way a mouse click feels. Is there anything similar for the PS3?

#2622 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:14 AM

I have another question

Anyone have any opinion on what bundle I should get, I already have the move so that is out but I am torn between:

MW3 Bundle, I won't play the game, but its a good deal as I could flip the game.

Uncharted 3, I can still get this at BB, again if I hate the game I can flip it, but I might actually try this game.

Assassins Creed in October, probably don't want to wait this long, as I have games piling up here and no system. I don't know if I would even like the game since I haven't tried AC yet and there isn't a demo on the xbox marketplace so I can't try it before I buy.

If I can find the harry potter 160GB bundle I would probably get that one, but its not on the BB website and I have no idea if my local store has it so I don't know how to look for it via store locator.

BB is my only option for the PS3, as I am loaded with gift cards and store credit. Lets just say I am basically getting this thing for free because of the iPhone Viggle app...

#2623 macontosh2000

macontosh2000

Dirty Scumbag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

Ok so my friend just bought a new TV (no problems there), she also bought a cheap blu-ray player but she was underwhelmed by it. I hooked up my PS3 to her TV so she could compare the the 2 players. Everything was going great i pretty much sold her on getting a PS3, then she asked about the games. I put in LBP2 and after the 10 minutes of updating (:roll:) there was no sound on the game, i then tried Portal 2.....again no sound. I ended up going through all my disk and none of them had sound. I tried games that were downloaded off PSN and they worked fine. I tried Blu-Ray movies and again they worked fine.

I then moved my PS3 back to my tv. and the sound/disk worked again!

Can anyone try to help me figure out why game disk wouldn't work on her TV?
macontosh2000 Quote of the Day (or whenever i choose to change it)

"Here he comes. Here comes John Wayne. I'm not gonna cry about my pa. I'm gonna build an airport, put my name on it. Why, Michael? So you can fly away from your feelings? You can keep them bottled up Michael, but they will come out. Sometimes in the most unexpected........Hey, where the Fuck are my hard-boiled eggs?"

Tobias Funke, Arrested Development

#2624 thunder_gamer

thunder_gamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

Ok so my friend just bought a new TV (no problems there), she also bought a cheap blu-ray player but she was underwhelmed by it. I hooked up my PS3 to her TV so she could compare the the 2 players. Everything was going great i pretty much sold her on getting a PS3, then she asked about the games. I put in LBP2 and after the 10 minutes of updating (:roll:) there was no sound on the game, i then tried Portal 2.....again no sound. I ended up going through all my disk and none of them had sound. I tried games that were downloaded off PSN and they worked fine. I tried Blu-Ray movies and again they worked fine.

I then moved my PS3 back to my tv. and the sound/disk worked again!

Can anyone try to help me figure out why game disk wouldn't work on her TV?

What is your audio settings on the PS3? It is most likely something that you set up for your TV is not supported by her TV. Also, you connect the PS3 on both TV through HDMI, right? As much details you can provide for us with settings of your PS3 and both TVs will allow us to further help you.

#2625 J7.

J7.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

Does PS+ require a credit card?

#2626 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Welp my PS3 refuses to work with an HDMI cord, I keep getting a mode unsupported error on my 720p insignia TV.
I've tried changing the resolution on a different TV to a lower res, didn't work. Tried holding the power button 'til the two beeps came up, didn't work. The HDMI cable worked perfectly on other TVs, and my cable box that uses an HDMI cable works on my current TV just fine.
Please help me, I don't really have the money to buy component cables.

#2627 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Welp my PS3 refuses to work with an HDMI cord, I keep getting a mode unsupported error on my 720p insignia TV.
I've tried changing the resolution on a different TV to a lower res, didn't work. Tried holding the power button 'til the two beeps came up, didn't work. The HDMI cable worked perfectly on other TVs, and my cable box that uses an HDMI cable works on my current TV just fine.

I don't know how much help I will be...

When you connect the PS3 to the TV with the HDMI cord, turn on your PS3 and hold the power button for 5 seconds or so. I think that should reset the video options or something and the PS3 and TV will figure out the correct settings.

#2628 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Does PS+ require a credit card?

You can buy a physical code card at the store, and I don't think those require at credit card to redeem.

#2629 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

I don't know how much help I will be...

When you connect the PS3 to the TV with the HDMI cord, turn on your PS3 and hold the power button for 5 seconds or so. I think that should reset the video options or something and the PS3 and TV will figure out the correct settings.

I've already done that and it didn't help. ;_;

#2630 J7.

J7.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

You can buy a physical code card at the store, and I don't think those require at credit card to redeem.

Thanks! I've avoid PS+ for a long time simply because I thought you needed to register a credit card.

Don't know if this will help but I had a problem with my new Slim PS3 when I first got it. The thing had problems with displaying to my tv screen. After using a different HDMI cable the problem went away completely. See if you can borrow or buy a new HDMI cable for cheap.

#2631 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

It looks like my launch 20GB (upgraded the HDD though) console is finally giving up. Turned it on today, and while my back was turned I found it had turned off and had a blinking red light. Tried turning it back on, same thing. Fan test isn't running, even after using canned air to dust it out.

Am I fucked?
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#2632 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Been thinking about upgrading my PS3's stock 160 GB hard drive again. I've manually backed up a lot of free PSN videos to an external usb hard drive. (Selected "back up" after pressing triangle over a highlighted item.)

When I do upgrade to a larger PS3 hard drive....
Will my external usb hard drive's contents still be recognized and be able to restore to the newer PS3 hard drive like before?

I'm still going to do a full back up to another external hard drive, but I have been deleting these backed up videos to save space on my PS3's current hard drive.

Thanks! I've avoid PS+ for a long time simply because I thought you needed to register a credit card.

You can also buy PSN cards to buy PS+ subscriptions off of the PSN. (You'll have to buy a $20 PSN card since 3 months of PS+ costs $17.99 if you don't find an actual 3 months PS+ code card.)

#2633 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Instead of getting a new HDMI cable I just got a component cable, but now a new problem pops up, its stuck in 480i and I can't seem to find a way to change the resolution, please help. When going in video output settings, it just completely skips over the option to choose a resolution, what the hell man?

#2634 J7.

J7.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Been thinking about upgrading my PS3's stock 160 GB hard drive again. I've manually backed up a lot of free PSN videos to an external usb hard drive. (Selected "back up" after pressing triangle over a highlighted item.)

When I do upgrade to a larger PS3 hard drive....
Will my external usb hard drive's contents still be recognized and be able to restore to the newer PS3 hard drive like before?

I'm still going to do a full back up to another external hard drive, but I have been deleting these backed up videos to save space on my PS3's current hard drive.

You can also buy PSN cards to buy PS+ subscriptions off of the PSN. (You'll have to buy a $20 PSN card since 3 months of PS+ costs $17.99 if you don't find an actual 3 months PS+ code card.)

Thanks. I'm just curious what PSN videos did you get for free?

Instead of getting a new HDMI cable I just got a component cable, but now a new problem pops up, its stuck in 480i and I can't seem to find a way to change the resolution, please help. When going in video output settings, it just completely skips over the option to choose a resolution, what the hell man?

I'm pretty sure PS3 can no longer output HD through component due to the AACS Final Adopter Agreement. Basically it's because PS3 can play Bluray movies it is not allowed to transmit HD over analog anymore to comply with copy protection. BUT this may only have to do with HD Video from Blurays meaning either only movies you buy or only the additional video on Bluray game discs. It's confusing. So maybe even if you set it to the lower resolution, it will only be that low when watching Bluray movies.

http://www.joystiq.c...over-component/
http://www.afterdawn...opter_agreement

#2635 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

^Does this only apply to newer models? I am running an early 40 GB model.

#2636 J7.

J7.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

^Does this only apply to newer models? I am running an early 40 GB model.

I don't know if it's only new models or also applied to old models via a past firmware update. Sorry, but you might be able to find out somewhere online.

#2637 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thanks. I'm just curious what PSN videos did you get for free?

Every Wednesday night, I check the "video" section of PSN. Usually there is a free episode of a television show under "Free TV+" that I download to preview a show I might like.

Most of the time you can find first episodes of new seasons or pilot episodes available of shows.

It is usually hit or miss on full episodes, sometimes they are just clips from shows with commentary.

In the past, I've gotten episode(s) of "Burn Notice," "Covert Affairs," and "Betty White's Off Their Rockers."

There's also sometimes some free anime episodes. I've gotten a bunch of "Dragon Ball Z" epsiodes. The newest anime I've gotten is the first episode of "Fractale."

It is really nice to be able to preview all these shows. I understand that I could easily just look them up, but since it is free, I'm more inclined to watch them.

#2638 J7.

J7.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

Every Wednesday night, I check the "video" section of PSN. Usually there is a free episode of a television show under "Free TV+" that I download to preview a show I might like.

Most of the time you can find first episodes of new seasons or pilot episodes available of shows.

It is usually hit or miss on full episodes, sometimes they are just clips from shows with commentary.

In the past, I've gotten episode(s) of "Burn Notice," "Covert Affairs," and "Betty White's Off Their Rockers."

There's also sometimes some free anime episodes. I've gotten a bunch of "Dragon Ball Z" epsiodes. The newest anime I've gotten is the first episode of "Fractale."

It is really nice to be able to preview all these shows. I understand that I could easily just look them up, but since it is free, I'm more inclined to watch them.

Oh I used to do that too, forgot all about it though. I've been spending all my time looking at the 99 cent rentals on the PSN video service. I've rented a few movies from that, occasionally they have some good ones. If you like Anime I hear that new Crunchyroll app has free shows on it.

#2639 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

problem magically fixed itself

Edited by Hente, 21 August 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#2640 J7.

J7.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Does anyone else with a Slim have it freeze and then check for corrupt files upon reboot when you have to manually shut if off?