Photo
- - - - -

PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

• Please log in to reply
2745 replies to this topic

#2671 J7.

J7.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

I didn't actually set up a network account I don't think? I didn't connect to the net. So I probably don't need to deactivate.

The squeal problem was reported in another thread. At least some people got Black Friday bundle "super-slim" PS3s (with Infamous 1&2/Uncharted 1&2) that make a loud high-pitched noise when playing a disc. Fortunately ours doesn't seem to do that.

While I'm at it - another quick question. Can you plug the controller into any USB charger to charge it? I'd like to have the controllers fully charged up for Xmas, and if I can do it that way I won't need to set up the system again to do it.

EDIT: I'm trying a support chat and will see what they say about resetting it to factory state (I want them to get the system setup prompts when they power it up on Xmas). I'll report here what they tell me.

Not sure what you have to do to have it become activated, perhaps if you used the PS Store or ever signed in on the console it would've become activated.

A quick format should be fine if you're giving the PS3 to someone you know, if you were to sell it to a stranger and you put personal files/info on it you might want to do a full format.

From what I've read you can charge PS3 controllers using usb on a PC. Not sure about usb wall chargers.

#2672 juubei1i

juubei1i

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

I have a brand new Western Digital 320GB USB external hard drive that I'd like to format to FAT32 to backup my PS3. I've looked all over and can only find very old discussions that have solutions that only seem to work some of the time. I am fine with formating the entire drive to FAT32, I don't need to split it but I also don't want to lose a lot of space. I'm computer illiterate and don't understand a lot of what I've read. Can someone direct me to a definitive site/thread that will make this easy?

Any help is appreciated.

#2673 thunder_gamer

thunder_gamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

I have a brand new Western Digital 320GB USB external hard drive that I'd like to format to FAT32 to backup my PS3. I've looked all over and can only find very old discussions that have solutions that only seem to work some of the time. I am fine with formating the entire drive to FAT32, I don't need to split it but I also don't want to lose a lot of space. I'm computer illiterate and don't understand a lot of what I've read. Can someone direct me to a definitive site/thread that will make this easy?

Any help is appreciated.

If you are using Windows, you can simply right click on the drive when at My Computer window and there should be a Format option. Click that and you can format it to FAT32 without problem.

#2674 J7.

J7.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

If you are using Windows, you can simply right click on the drive when at My Computer window and there should be a Format option. Click that and you can format it to FAT32 without problem.

What he said. Sometimes I find youtube more useful than text for stuff like this. http://www.youtube.c...c.1.rJDNOdp4slE

#2675 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

OK guys. I have my 40 gig fat hooked up via Ethernet. It gets 14 mbps down and the up can vary. I always lag when I play online. My home computer gets 35 mbps down and 6 up.

Is there a way the speed up my ps3 connection?

What is the max speed a fat can get?

Do the slims have better speeds?

What else could be causing lag?

#2676 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Tip: if you try to set up a sub account and then login with that account, it will fail with a cryptic numeric code. Nice! The problem is you have to login with that sub account in a web browser and then set a security question and answer (Mother's maiden name or the like). Ridiculously unhelpful, and primitive error message, but there you go. That had us frustrated for a while this morning.

Now my question. Is there a way to restrict voice chat to friends only? I can turn voice chat off for my kids completely, but I don't see any way to restrict to friends only. Is that possible?

It's going to take some getting use to these controllers. The sticks seem so much looser than Xbox controller sticks.
Posted Image

#2677 newtype06

newtype06

Coordinator

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Need advice since my PS3 60GB died: Should I wait for a decent super slim deal sometime around January, or simply order a used and old (not to mention better looking) slim from Cowboom? The latter seems like the best option, budget wise, yet I'm worried about its condition. Super slim on the other hand -- this deal ain't so bad but I'm worried about some of the issues, like the "squeal problem" I just read above.

#2678 juubei1i

juubei1i

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

What he said. Sometimes I find youtube more useful than text for stuff like this. http://www.youtube.c...c.1.rJDNOdp4slE

Thanks to both of you. There are several different methods/opinions on youtube also and a lot of those videos are a couple years old already. I used a Guiformat.exe program and it appears to have worked but I haven't tried saving anything yet. Saw the Guiformat mentioned in a few videos. Haven't had a computer class in 20 yrs (pre-internet) and I don't like the idea of downloading miscellaneous programs that I don't understand. But it was recommended on the internet, so it must be ok. ;)

Edit: And I can't select FAT32 format in Windows. I only get exFAT which is not the same thing according to the internet. Thx.

Edited by juubei1i, 29 December 2012 - 04:39 AM.
add response

#2679 J7.

J7.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Need advice since my PS3 60GB died: Should I wait for a decent super slim deal sometime around January, or simply order a used and old (not to mention better looking) slim from Cowboom? The latter seems like the best option, budget wise, yet I'm worried about its condition. Super slim on the other hand -- this deal ain't so bad but I'm worried about some of the issues, like the "squeal problem" I just read above.

http://www.bestbuy.c...6&skuId=3061302

#2680 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Picked up one of the last 3 slims at my best buy a minute ago to replace one of mine. Everything else was the 3rd gen system. It looks cheap. Anyone have any hands-on time with it?
Spoiler

#2681 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I like our superslim. I actually like the sliding mechanism and that the disc clicks in place.

As for the PS3 OS. I have to say this thing is primitive in comparison to the 360. Cluttered, poorly organized, missing what seemed like basic features or with features that are clunky in comparison (trophies). However there are good exclusives and I've got some friends who only have a PS3, so I'm glad we have it. Plus Blu-ray, of course. But I do feel now that paying for Xbox Live is worth it, just because it's a so much better designed system overall. Hopefully they'll take some queues from the Xbox for the PS4. I'm sure it's too late for the PS3.
Posted Image

#2682 Taavivesi

Taavivesi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

I wanted to ask that if i change my HDD do i have to do something with my gameshares that i have on my ps3, or do i only need to redownload everything ??

#2683 langdon_alger

langdon_alger

Phlebitis!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I wanted to ask that if i change my HDD do i have to do something with my gameshares that i have on my ps3, or do i only need to redownload everything ??

You'll need the passwords. Lost a few gameshares when I switched HD's a few years ago because of this.

#2684 heatseeker2

heatseeker2

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

Hey all, I wanted to see if any fellow CAGs could help me with my tech issue.

I recently picked up a super slim ps3 and ps+. Since last month I have been having difficulty completing my IGC downloads/install. The files always fail installation at 14% stating the download was corrupt. I've googled and searched and found these suggestions which I have tried.

Things I have tried...
Wired and wireless connections
DMZ and static ip
Not backgrounding the download
Turning off media server and what's on status updates.
Downloading files from my transaction history under account management.
Changing the MTU
Using a wireless hotspot mifi

These troubles are very unfortunate. My recent demon souls purchase took a total of 12 redo's before a successful install. Before that it was infamous 2 that took about 8 tries. Trial and error isn't really a viable solution.

I really want to use my ps3 for digital purposes and am putting off buying dmc after this demon souls experience.

I realize that this isn't perhaps a tech support forum and will probably ending up calling customer service (blah). Any assistance or further suggestions would be great!

#2685 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hopefully, this is a good place for this question. I used to be able to access my media server through uPNP on my PS3, but a few months ago I got an update to my PS3 and I've since been unable to access any media server on my network. Searching online isn't really giving me any results. I know my media server can be accessed by other computers on the network. My wireless router is the one I got from Verizon.

I would like to be able to access my music library from my living room again...
Posted Image

#2686 J7.

J7.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Hey all, I wanted to see if any fellow CAGs could help me with my tech issue.

I recently picked up a super slim ps3 and ps+. Since last month I have been having difficulty completing my IGC downloads/install. The files always fail installation at 14% stating the download was corrupt. I've googled and searched and found these suggestions which I have tried.

Things I have tried...
Wired and wireless connections
DMZ and static ip
Not backgrounding the download
Turning off media server and what's on status updates.
Downloading files from my transaction history under account management.
Changing the MTU
Using a wireless hotspot mifi

These troubles are very unfortunate. My recent demon souls purchase took a total of 12 redo's before a successful install. Before that it was infamous 2 that took about 8 tries. Trial and error isn't really a viable solution.

I really want to use my ps3 for digital purposes and am putting off buying dmc after this demon souls experience.

I realize that this isn't perhaps a tech support forum and will probably ending up calling customer service (blah). Any assistance or further suggestions would be great!

Return that PS3 before it's too late.

Hopefully, this is a good place for this question. I used to be able to access my media server through uPNP on my PS3, but a few months ago I got an update to my PS3 and I've since been unable to access any media server on my network. Searching online isn't really giving me any results. I know my media server can be accessed by other computers on the network. My wireless router is the one I got from Verizon.

I would like to be able to access my music library from my living room again...

If you're using WMP, maybe try the PS3 Media Server program you can get on the internet instead.

#2687 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

If you're using WMP, maybe try the PS3 Media Server program you can get on the internet instead.

I'm not. I'm using JRiver Media Center. Problem is, it also doesn't see my NAS, which is used to.
Posted Image

#2688 Banjora

Banjora

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

I hope this is a good place for this question.

I am trying to make sure I understand the way "region-free" works with the PS3. I know it can play games from all over, but I thought I remembered that a game disc from one region could only use DLC from the PSN store of the region it came from. So for example if I import from Japan the Japaneses PSN, Hong Kong using Hong Kongs, PAL being Europe, etc.

That is actually another good question, is all or most of Europe on one Network or is it more country by country?

The last part of my question is the same as the dlc, but I was wondering if you could only do online multiplayer with the region your disc is based from?

And does this work the same for co-op, that you would both have to be from the same region to play with one another?

Sorry for all the questions and the Wall of Text and thank you to anyone who could share some knowledge with me : )

#2689 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Dlc is tied to the region, and the multiplayer (from what I hear) is region locked on a case by case basis (cheapy talks about it occasionally on the podcast, recently complaining about region locked multiplayer on an NHL game).

Not sure about the other stuff.
Spoiler

#2690 Banjora

Banjora

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Coo thxs for the info

#2691 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

i have a problem with my ps3 updating games. ive been having this problem since Dec. i cant seem to update my games. i can download games from psn store fine. its quick but when i update my game, it just stuck at 0%. can someone please help me?

#2692 plvl

plvl

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Ok g uys I have a 250gb HD in my laptop that I no longer use and I want to use it in my ps3.
Now I need to format it to FAT32 right? Or does the ps3 automatically do it? How do I format it since it's an internal drive?

#2693 nbballard

nbballard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Is there a way to set the ps3 to automatically install minis and ps-one games after firmware 4.0? I replaced my drive unexpectedly and I've been having to manually install my psOne games and it's a chore.
Spoiler

#2694 JCNY23

JCNY23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

My older 80 gig system has not much hard drive space left. My question is a external hdd can be used to store games on like dc universe until I want to play it? I want to get Plus but downloading games like Infamous 2 and others will not possible with hardly any space available.
Posted Image

#2695 Mageshadow

Mageshadow

Taking A Deuce..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

My older 80 gig system has not much hard drive space left. My question is a external hdd can be used to store games on like dc universe until I want to play it? I want to get Plus but downloading games like Infamous 2 and others will not possible with hardly any space available.

Not sure but highly doubt it

It'd simply go out and buy a bigger HDD - I managed to get a 500GB for $50 at Office Depot yesterday and could of gotten a 1TB drive for $66

#2696 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

External drives are mainly for media (video, music, and photos) only.

#2697 Baron O Hell

Baron O Hell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

Not sure but highly doubt it

It'd simply go out and buy a bigger HDD - I managed to get a 500GB for $50 at Office Depot yesterday and could of gotten a 1TB drive for $66

I agree with this. I don't see the point in an external drive when getting a internal drive that is 5 times bigger would probably be cheaper and work far better.

#2698 macgruuber

macgruuber

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hey all. I just purchased an uncharted 3 slim bundle and it comes with a ps+ trial. Never had ps+ before. How does it work with a system that has multiple accounts? Does only one get to register or all (in regards to cloud saving and what not)? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to plus.

Also, I've read that you can transfer the saves and other data from ps3 to ps3 via a ethernet cable? Which is better, more efficient, the cloud saving method or ethernet cable?

darknite13.png

#2699 eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr

All Systems Go

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hey all. I just purchased an uncharted 3 slim bundle and it comes with a ps+ trial. Never had ps+ before. How does it work with a system that has multiple accounts? Does only one get to register or all (in regards to cloud saving and what not)? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to plus.

If it's on the system, all accounts on that system have access to the PS+ games, avatars, themes, etc. but not the cloud save feature. You can have up to 2 systems registered with your PS+ account. Note that a small number of games are restricted to only one user accessing it at a time (I'm sure this info is in the forums somewhere, the gameshare thread is probably one good place to search).

Also, I've read that you can transfer the saves and other data from ps3 to ps3 via a ethernet cable? Which is better, more efficient, the cloud saving method or ethernet cable?

The ethernet cable data transfer is definitely preferred because it copies over everything: User profiles, videos, music, game data, save data, games, themes, etc. and in the least amount of time.

Using the cloud save feature will only back up save files (which is recommended anyway, it's a great feature especially for 'locked' saves).

I've had nothing but problems using the included backup/restore utility from the System menu, but it seems to work fine for some.

#2700 macgruuber

macgruuber

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

^^^Thank you for the response! That's kinda wack that both accounts can't utilize the cloud save, though I don't think my bro would even care about/use it. So the ethernet cable data transfer would even transfer locked saves too? Also, is there a possibility that the 30 day trial will be invalid, as the model I ordered is old, or is it just some prepaid type of thing?

darknite13.png