All Transworld stores - Bonus 45% trade in credit is back! ENDS 7/19

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#31 Liquid-Swords

Liquid-Swords

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

Mine will take most decent looking discs. At least when you buy a used game there it is usually a scratch free disc.

#32 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

I completely screwed my local FYE last year by dumping a ton of CDs on them - these days they won't even look at my stuff, they know I ripped them off, heheh.

Too bad I don't have any tradeable things... that and the local FYE sucks balls, all their clearance games are priced at standard MSRP, and they never take these offers seriously.

foxhack.jpg

#33 bassec

bassec

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

I'm pissed. I was checking how much credit I had on my giftcard today @ Wherehouse.com and instead of just displaying the amount, it took the money off my giftcard and applied it directly to wherehouse.com only purchases.

I hate this company.

#34 mala

mala

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

I went in to my local FYE and didn't see any of the bags. I bought one of those $1 cleaning kits (in anticipation of trading stuff in) and the woman at the register gave me a bag.

One interesting thing I noticed was that the bag says the promotion is going to be ongoing until 02/28.

#35 sinistaminista

sinistaminista

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Deal confirmed in the Buffalo, NY area. Too bad I just traded a few things in before Christmas. Oh well, time to reevaluate the collection.

#36 monkeydeew

monkeydeew

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

hopefully i can flip and score persona 3 on the cheap

#37 Gotran

Gotran

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

What do you mean by "Anything you bring in any bag" ?

#38 unforeseen

unforeseen

Crime Scene Investigator

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

What do you mean by "Anything you bring in any bag" ?

CDs, DVDs, games, cats, small dogs, hamsters, dead rodents, late relative's ashes..."anything" you can fit inside the bag.

#39 Gotran

Gotran

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

CDs, DVDs, games, cats, small dogs, hamsters, dead rodents, late relative's ashes..."anything" you can fit inside the bag.

What is "The Bag"

Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I don't shop at any stores that are in the OP much.

Or do you mean anything in any bag you can find?

#40 mala

mala

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

What is "The Bag"
Or do you mean anything in any bag you can find?

They give you a brown grocery style bag to fill up. Although, on the bag, it says you can also fill up any other bag in addition to the one they give you.

#41 jasonsoldout

jasonsoldout

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

wait i'm sorry, what do you mean they give 20% normally? because i checked that website and I wanted to trade in mario galaxy and dragonball z budokai tenkaichi 3. both of them came up as about a little more than $20 trade in value. when i go there, theyre going to add an extra 25% and then another extra 20%? whats the 25% bonus from? sorry, just really curious and want to get my information right before i take time to trek to fye (I live in NYC, theyre rare)

#42 GBmanNC

GBmanNC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

wait i'm sorry, what do you mean they give 20% normally? because i checked that website and I wanted to trade in mario galaxy and dragonball z budokai tenkaichi 3. both of them came up as about a little more than $20 trade in value. when i go there, theyre going to add an extra 25% and then another extra 20%? whats the 25% bonus from? sorry, just really curious and want to get my information right before i take time to trek to fye (I live in NYC, theyre rare)

They always give extra 20% for store credit instead of cash. If you take cash you will only get the extra 25 (or 20?) %

#43 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

Thats cool thanks for info FYE I guess here I come.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#44 GBmanNC

GBmanNC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

They give you a brown grocery style bag to fill up. Although, on the bag, it says you can also fill up any other bag in addition to the one they give you.

My stores never actually had the bag. They just automatically added it. Some people say they wont give it to you unless you have THEE bag. Pretty weird.

#45 jasonsoldout

jasonsoldout

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

thanks a lot tc, this sounds too good a deal to pass up

#46 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how many CAGs seem to WANT AssRapeStop to be the ONLY chain left in business to buy used games from, by wishing this chain to go under. Personally, if I have a choice and know I want a mint/near mint condition game, I know where I'm going and it ISN'T Gamestop.

As far as the checking balance on a card thing goes, there's a # on the back of the card for you to be able to check your balance on the phone. It's way easier and less risky(apparently) than checking online on one of their sites.

Oh and GBmanNC, I believe the additional amount they add is 20% if you take credit, but it's negated if you choose to take cash. Although, with Powerdrome Racing on PS2, the trade value was more than double what I paid for it at GS, so I didn't really mind losing the 20% that much.

But, if you try taking cash, the 45% bonus is invalidated and you only get the base trade value. At least that's the way they've done it around here.

Normally, their trade values are better than GS, but here's a word of warning, if the price doesn't come up on SecondSpin.com, then DON'T take the game(s) in for trade, since you're probably only getting $.50-1.00 for those games.

Of course, if that's all you paid in the first place, then you're breaking even before the bonus is added.

Just a few words of warning for those considering doing this deal. Oh and davo, if FYE ever were to go outta biz, I'll hold you to your 'buying everyone on CAG a game' promise. I just hope they never do, since then I'll resort to doing ALL my game shopping at the local shop I get good deals from long before I EVER consider buying the bulk of my games from AssRapeStop.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#47 Ryukahn

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:54 PM

So wait, people were able to take advantage of this deal enough in the past to basically get free systems, or at least half price systems?

#48 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Actually, I kept trading a high value/low cost game I found super cheap from Gamestop to FYE and kept getting $15 credit each time. I only paid between $2-3 for each copy from GS, so I was making 500%+ over what I'd paid for them. I got a PStwo slim outta the deal and they sent me a double rebate once they finally realized I had filled out the forms and what not correctly.

They paid me the rebate $$$ in CASH @ store level once I complained to a DM about my rebate being stalled for seemingly months. Then, about 3 weeks later(7 months out from when I sent the thing in), I got what looked like a post card, which was in fact a check for $30.

So, I got paid $60, spent maybe $36-40 on copies of the ONE game and ended up with a pretty much free PStwo outta the deal. Some games just keep their value for a LONG time for FYE it seems, but you have to check SecondSpin.com first to make sure your games fall into that category.

Thing is, I did this all during a period when they DIDN'T have this 45% promo going. Last time they had this promo going though, I think I made over $100-150 in credit by flipping games/movies/cds that I no longer used and many of them were Kmart clearance games(Halo Triple Pack went into them during the last promo, broken up into the 3 seperate games) or stuff that I just got super cheap .

Posted Image

#49 bokmeow

bokmeow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:19 AM

It doesn't look like the one in my mall is participating. Oh well.

#50 Bune

Bune

ǝʇɐbǝןןɐ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

I found out about upcdatabase and used it to print out UPC's to CD's I got from BMG. You could print out UPC's to pricier versions of the CD but I advise against that as they tend to cancel your gift card when they find out. :/

#51 cranguy

cranguy

with Rare Y-fold seal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

they do require out-of-the-plastic quality. its almost imposible to trade a game with them.

This is the same reason I like buying used stuff there. Crazy, I know!

-Alex
qualitydisc2med.jpg

#52 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

Posted Image

it might look similar to that. heres the old thread last june

#53 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

Yea, the bag is exactly the same as above, except with a new expiration date (2/28/08). Just got back from my FYE and updated the OP with all the details. I was really surprised that this deal is going to last for about two whole months. I'd imagine with clearances & pricedrops happening every week or so, some gems have gotta pop up.

Just to make it said for this page, the bag says "20% more", meaning that it stacks with their policy of 25% bonus for choosing credit. If you choose cash, you get just the 20% bonus for the bag.

I had quite a laugh, my store still has half a shelf full of NBA Starting Five's that i traded from the last sale. I almost took a picture.

538822.png

#54 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

My problems with FYE far outweigh even the biggest problems I've ever had at Gamestop.

FYE's employees are some of the ruder, more inept retail employees I've ever met. They'll say anything to a customer. I was actually called poor once by a register rat because I didn't want a DVD that rang up for like $20 more and only wanted it because of the sale.

If they don't know about a promotion, it doesn't exist. I see what looks like a set of encyclopedias in the form of clipboards filled with various information and not once have I ever seen anyone actually READ what's on them. If an employee happens to know about a promotion but not the details, they're made up on the fly.

I've been lied to about inventory just so that they wouldn't have to honor a deal which is ILLEGAL.

Their sister website, wherehouse.com provides the in-store merchandise at cheaper prices but without any way of using their discount card. Their discount card is essentially paying $25 to get rid of their ridiculous in-store markups.

Then there's the trade-ins. There's all this talk about how Gamestop will take in a product in any condition. I see that as a boon as a trader and as a buyer. When you limit trade-in quality like FYE does, you not only can't use them as a trade-in source unless your games are practically sealed, but you also have a very limited supply. If a person trades in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and it's in less than good condition, it's obvious why. They're not that bright in terms of gaming either way. That's the benefit of shopping Gamestop over FYE. Sure it's better to have a game in great condition, but I'd rather have the game be available and usually cheaper than hoping to stumble on a mint copy of a game for possibly more money. To me, that's the antithesis of being cheap.

They're just a terrible company. If that means I have one less place to shop, so be it. They don't even show up on gaming franchises' radars so it's not like having them around benefits the gamer in the spirit of competition. If they shut down, it would be one less place for a customer to get hosed and mistreated. Go to Circuit City if you need that sort of fix.

#55 GBmanNC

GBmanNC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Oh and GBmanNC, I believe the additional amount they add is 20% if you take credit, but it's negated if you choose to take cash. Although, with Powerdrome Racing on PS2, the trade value was more than double what I paid for it at GS, so I didn't really mind losing the 20% that much.

But, if you try taking cash, the 45% bonus is invalidated and you only get the base trade value. At least that's the way they've done it around here.

They added 20% wether it was cash or credit. so it was +20% cash or +45% credit. Except for the store with the bitchy manager that I dont bother going to anymore.... I just got to know what manager (nice, bitchy, anal with scratches, blind as a bat with scratches, etc.) was working on which days of the week for things like this. I have alot of time on my hands :cry:

#56 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:40 AM

My problems with FYE far outweigh even the biggest problems I've ever had at Gamestop.

FYE's employees are some of the ruder, more inept retail employees I've ever met. They'll say anything to a customer. I was actually called poor once by a register rat because I didn't want a DVD that rang up for like $20 more and only wanted it because of the sale.

If they don't know about a promotion, it doesn't exist. I see what looks like a set of encyclopedias in the form of clipboards filled with various information and not once have I ever seen anyone actually READ what's on them. If an employee happens to know about a promotion but not the details, they're made up on the fly.

I've been lied to about inventory just so that they wouldn't have to honor a deal which is ILLEGAL.

Their sister website, wherehouse.com provides the in-store merchandise at cheaper prices but without any way of using their discount card. Their discount card is essentially paying $25 to get rid of their ridiculous in-store markups.

Then there's the trade-ins. There's all this talk about how Gamestop will take in a product in any condition. I see that as a boon as a trader and as a buyer. When you limit trade-in quality like FYE does, you not only can't use them as a trade-in source unless your games are practically sealed, but you also have a very limited supply. If a person trades in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and it's in less than good condition, it's obvious why. They're not that bright in terms of gaming either way. That's the benefit of shopping Gamestop over FYE. Sure it's better to have a game in great condition, but I'd rather have the game be available and usually cheaper than hoping to stumble on a mint copy of a game for possibly more money. To me, that's the antithesis of being cheap.

They're just a terrible company. If that means I have one less place to shop, so be it. They don't even show up on gaming franchises' radars so it's not like having them around benefits the gamer in the spirit of competition. If they shut down, it would be one less place for a customer to get hosed and mistreated. Go to Circuit City if you need that sort of fix.

First off, I've only ever been asked ONE time(out of innumerable times that I've shopped at my local FYE stores) if I want to get the Backstage Pass. Compare that with Gamestop, whose drones will even ask you if you have anything to trade in, even when you walk in empty handed and push that stupid Edge card out the wazoo. I have to thank you for finding that loophole to get an Edge card for $2 via mail, though if I ever get off my ass and send out a check with the renewal card, I may finally get one.

Second, I flatly told them that I'd never buy any DVDs from them due to the fact that I prefer to buy them on sale. The local clerks had no problems with that. You just have jerks running the registers at your local store(s).

Third, you think it's a GOOD thing that Gamestop takes in games in ANY condition? It's great for the soccer moms with the whiny brats, but bad for those of us who like our games mint/complete. I'll admit it, I'm a condition snob and have made the people @ Gamestop go through 20 copies of a game before I picked ONE to take home. So, for that very reason, I refuse to shop there for good condition games.

Fourth and finally, the copies of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Futurama and various other hard to find games beg to differ than you can 'find them cheaper @ Gamestop'.

For me, FYE is overpriced on cd's and dvd's, but lower than Gamestop in MANY cases(not all)on games. The condition of the games they sell is also usually SUPERIOR to Gamestop in EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY. Admittedly, I've run into a couple games which were missing an instruction manual or had a couple scratches which were more than just surface ones, but at FYE it's the exception not the rule. Can Gamestop say that?

Plus, look at the trade values you get and the piddily 'bonuses' you get. The only really GOOD trade deals GS ever had were the 'trade 3, get $10 extra' deals, since the %'s more deals usually work out in THEIR favor more, since you have to trade in more games to get the better %.

Best option of all is to simply KEEP YOUR GAMES, which negates ANY argument over which store is 'better' for trading stuff into. But hey, you're preferences are your preferences. Mine definitely lean towards FYE being the better chain than GS though.

Oh and GBman, they always told me that the 20% more was ONLY if taking credit locally, so it's a YMMV thing about getting the 20% with cash trades, I suppose.

Posted Image

#57 mala

mala

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

Oh and GBman, they always told me that the 20% more was ONLY if taking credit locally, so it's a YMMV thing about getting the 20% with cash trades, I suppose.

Yeah, that's what they told me tonight when I went as well. They wouldn't give me the extra 20% bag deal for cash.

#58 rarebucky

rarebucky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

thanks a lot tc, this sounds too good a deal to pass up

Too bad no FYE stores in NYC do trade ins anymore.

#59 jasonsoldout

jasonsoldout

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Too bad no FYE stores in NYC do trade ins anymore.

not true, this one in queens does, i called them earlier

#60 zensation

zensation

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

Just a heads up, FYE recently (last month or so) sent out a memo to the stores about not buying multiple items from customers. There isnt a way to track items sold by customer in the system yet, so its a YMMV thing. Also, if you want to bring in games you should make sure the store you are going to still sells games.

And just one side note about how crappy fye or gamestop can be. I think it really comes down to the people that work there. Every company has stores full of retards and assholes. The trick is just shopping at a different fye/gs. I'd like to think that my store isnt one of the bad ones.