Dead copy of Smash Bros. Melee (1.0)... what to do?

RyokoYaksa

CAGiversary!
Story time.

My 6+ years old copy of 1.0 Melee routinely sits in my Gamecube for extended periods and plays without issues. So of course my friends and I are surprised when we attempt to load up my copy and see "An error has occurred. Turn the power OFF and check the NINTENDO GAMECUBE Instruction Booklet for further instructions." This is the type of message that completely kills the Gamecube's session... no opening/reclosing of the lid in hope of it eventually loading.

So I checked the disc. There were no new visible scratches, let alone those that would be major, and those that are on it did not stop the game from running perfectly for years up to this point. I cleaned it thoroughly anyway. Still, it spits out the same fatal error.

I tested other games with the same Cube, and they ran with no problems. I tested the Melee disc in another Cube and a Wii, and they were getting the same error.

After several fruitless tries, I had no choice but to load up my PAL copy of Melee, which would be fine except it has no 480p option (we were using a lagless only on 480p HDTV to play on).

*There are only two things I can actually do before receiving that message of death, which are setting progressive scan on/off and to load/deny memory card data. My guess is the problem is coming from the game being unable to load the opening FMV sequence. This is a disaster, since getting to the title screen always involves going through that FMV.

As it stands now, my copy of Melee is practically unusable. As far as I know, 1.0 copies of Melee have been discontinued for years.

Has anyone ever experienced such a kind of "disc burnout" and had any success in rectifying it, short of replacing it? I really want to keep my 1.0 copy handy. The only thing I can think to do is find a code that somehow skips the opening sequence, but I'm not sure if anything on the net actually does that.

What makes this copy so important? I have never heard of different flavors of Melee, besides the box art (Player's Choice, etc.).

Have you tested it in another Gamecube, or a Wii?

[quote name='Rig']What makes this copy so important? I have never heard of different flavors of Melee, besides the box art (Player's Choice, etc.).[/QUOTE]One thing that comes to mind was the ability to "breakfall" when you were about to fall you could hit something and jump I think.

[quote name='Rig']What makes this copy so important? I have never heard of different flavors of Melee, besides the box art (Player's Choice, etc.).

Have you tested it in another Gamecube, or a Wii?[/quote]

Yea, why is a 1.0 so special... is it the only version that does 480p or something?

This copy of Smash is the problem. It did the same thing in another cube and a Wii. My Gamecube plays other games perfectly. I said I had to load my PAL copy in the same Cube...

There are 3 different versions of SSBM in the NTSC territory. 1.0 was the launch, then they "patched" future shipments when they felt like it. These were 1.1, then 1.2 (Player's Choice). Aside from fixing various bugs and introducing a few new ones, these also require completely different codes to be entered and hacked through Action Replay, even if the code does the exact same thing in the game. To further complicate things, codes that exist for one version have not been cracked for another.

This thread should explain everything - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=57155

Aside from 1.0 being my definitive version of Melee, it's something of a possession thing. I don't want to have to replace the disc unless there's no other option, and I don't want to have to replace it with 1.2.

You can always get your disc resurfaced. Hastings has a professional disc buffer that will resurface any disc (even GameCube discs) for $2 each.

Well, I can give you personal example as a Zelda player... the disc version is the difference between her Usmash leading into a 60% combo or otherwise working properly, or doing like 2% with no knockback. Her Fsmash and Naryu's Love have the same escapability thing going on. It's infuriating.

[quote name='RyokoYaksa']Well, I can give you personal example as a Zelda player... the disc version is the difference between her Usmash leading into a 60% combo or otherwise working properly, or doing like 2% with no knockback. Her Fsmash and Naryu's Love have the same escapability thing going on. It's infuriating.[/quote]

I KNEW YOU POSTED THE SAME THREAD ON SMASHBOARDS!
Hey. :D

Well, I've had a copy of Metroid Prime that gave me the same error. It was the game. So just get a new one on ebay.

bread's done
Back