Progressive Scan ?

Mr. Roper

Banned
I just got a new tv with progressive scan, do I need special cables to benefit from this or do I just turn it on via the options menu?

[quote name='Mr. Roper']I just got a new tv with progressive scan, do I need special cables to benefit from this or do I just turn it on via the options menu?[/QUOTE]
Component cables at least. (Maybe S-Video?)

It should be on already. Its just how it displays the image. Progressive refreshes the whole image at once while I (forgot the word for I) will only refresh every other line then go back and fill in the rest. You shouldnt need any cables for Progressive, although you will need component VGA or HDMI to get the HD image. Just standard composite cables (Red White Yellow) will only give a SD image.

IIRC, you need a gamecube that has the digital out port on the back (all gamecubes had this at the beginning, after a while nintendo took it out because they said not enough people were using it and it lowered the production costs).

You also need the component cable pack that uses the digital out port.

These are the minimum requirements for 480p. It's amazing though how many games can output in 480p given that none of the later gamecubes had the ability to output in 480p.

A random side-question, does the Game Boy Player output in 480P if you have the necessary hardware?

Ruahrc

I think the Wii can output Gamecube games in 480p with component cables. I would definitely suggest that route instead of hunting for a compatible GC and cables.

There's a bit of misinformation in this thread... Ruahrc is absolutely correct. As are Lone_Prodigy and RyokoYaksa.

If you've got the right type of Gamecube, it'll still take some effort to track down those Gamecube component cables. If you've got a Wii, though, then it's mostly moot. The only benefit then would be playing Gameboy Player stuff in 480p. But believe me. 480p with the Gameboy Player is pure awesome.

[quote name='Backlash']I just got my first HD TV (1080P) and I discovered that my GCN doesn't have the component output port :([/quote]

If you really want it go to gamestop and pick one up for $30 - they probably have tons of gamecubes and can find one with the port. The component cables will run you like $30 online though...

[quote name='tsmvengy']If you really want it go to gamestop and pick one up for $30 - they probably have tons of gamecubes and can find one with the port. The component cables will run you like $30 online though...[/QUOTE]

$30 for the cables? I haven't found any for lower than $50

I got a Wii to play some gamecube a whole year ago and now I want a gamecube again since I play so much gamecube. Sucks that the cable to display progressive is more than picking up a used gamecube.

Some of the more advanced GC games had a few slowdown issues- I was wondering, does playing these games on a Wii get rid of the slowdown issues, because the Wii's components are clocked at a higher speed than the gamecube? And it is not like the PS3 where there was a separate PS2 hardware inside the PS3, but rather the Wii and the GC use the same architecture.

Ruahrc

Mr. Roper, if your GC doesn't have the digital A'V out to support component cables I have a set of Monster s-video cables made specifically for GC that I'd be willing to sell. PM me if you're interested.

To display progressive scan, your Gamecube needs the digital-out port on the back of the console, and you need the Gamecube component cable (the Wii component cable will not work). After you connect with the component cables, it doesn't automatically display in progressive scan - you need to hold B while the Gamecube is starting up. The component cables with progressive scan off makes the games look only slightly better. The component cables with progressive scan turned on makes the games look MUCH better on a HDTV.

I found a used set this past fall at a Gamestop for $4 or $5. You can check availability at local gamestops by searching by sku. The sku for these cables is 900572. Type this link into your web browser, remove the quotes, and replace XXXXX with your zipcode:
"http://www.gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=50&sku=900572&zip=XXXXX"

See this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150592&highlight=component

Good luck

[quote name='Treythalomew']I got a Wii to play some gamecube a whole year ago and now I want a gamecube again since I play so much gamecube. Sucks that the cable to display progressive is more than picking up a used gamecube.[/QUOTE]

Sadly true.
I regret selling my Cube now.
I want it back to play my Cube games. The Wii just doesn't really do it for me.

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']Sadly true.
I regret selling my Cube now.
I want it back to play my Cube games. The Wii just doesn't really do it for me.[/QUOTE]

I thought you could play Cube games on a Wii? With full BC? If you already have a Wii and no cube, what would be the advantage of switching back to a cube?

[quote name='Backlash']I thought you could play Cube games on a Wii? With full BC? If you already have a Wii and no cube, what would be the advantage of switching back to a cube?[/QUOTE]

Well, if you aren't playing any Wii games, then there is no reason to have a Wii instead of a Gamecube. I think that's what they are saying. I.e. sell the Wii, buy a gamecube and overpriced component cable and still have a fair amount over for other games. Also the Gamecube can use the Gameboy Player (and it supports progressive scan too, incidentally), and you can play network Gamecube games (all 3 or 4 of them).

bread's done
Back