The "80GB PS3 Won't Play This PS2 Game" Thread

mykevermin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (97%)
The idea of this thread is twofold:
1) to compile a list of games that people have tried on the 80GB system that do not work at all, or are emulated so poorly as to be unplayable

2) to take that list and crossreference it with gamers' experiences on the 60GB/20GB systems.

The Sony list is cumbersome to navigate, and no doubt it also overstates games "working" on a system.

I'm curious as well: what problems have 80GB users encountered that 60GB users don't experience?

If you've played, or are curious about, the playability of a given PS2 game, feel free to post here. I'll update this thread from time to time with information on the games themselves.

GAMES THAT WORK ON 80GB AND 60GB
Art of Fighting Collection
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (Special Edition)
Jak & Daxter
Odin Sphere
Persona 3
Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

GAMES THAT MOSTLY WORK ON 80GB
Fire Pro Wrestling: there are some pretty bad graphical glitches. The 2.10 update fix things a bit but it still has problems.

GAMES THAT DON'T WORK ON 80GB, BUT WORK ON 60GB
Ar Tornelico
Gran Turismo 4: tried loading it up three times with no success then at the fourth attempt, it managed to play but the game ran in slo-motion. Overall, it was unplayable.
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I put the disc in, it makes some noise for about 90 seconds, and then ejects the disc.
Karaoke Revolution American Idol
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater freezes in some random places and forces you to restart. Also some cutscenes are really choppy.
Soul Calibur III: it runs at about 70% of full speed.
Yakuza: works fine, but freezes at one spot in the game. Confirmed to be unpassable.

GAMES THAT DON'T WORK ON EITHER PS3
Parappa The Rapper 2

Thank you for starting this thread. The Sony compatibility list can be pretty vague at best and firsthand experience from gamers themselves is a much better alternative.

Anyway, I've been eyeing Yakuza ever since it went on sale for $8.96 in CC. Fortunately, I remembered to check the list beforehand and was disappointed to see the game on the list. It stated that Yakuza freezes at a certain point in the game. My question is is there any way to bypass that part of the game or should I just chalk up Yakuza in the "Games I wish I Played" list?

[quote name='knightsdwn']Thank you for starting this thread. The Sony compatibility list can be pretty vague at best and firsthand experience from gamers themselves is a much better alternative.

Anyway, I've been eyeing Yakuza ever since it went on sale for $8.96 in CC. Fortunately, I remembered to check the list beforehand and was disappointed to see the game on the list. It stated that Yakuza freezes at a certain point in the game. My question is is there any way to bypass that part of the game or should I just chalk up Yakuza in the "Games I wish I Played" list?[/QUOTE]On a 20GB/60GB PS3, unless my settings are messed up, Yakuza looks very pixelated and distorted (like PS1/PS2 games use to look before firmware update 1.5).
[quote name='knightsdwn']Thank you for starting this thread. The Sony compatibility list can be pretty vague at best and firsthand experience from gamers themselves is a much better alternative.

Anyway, I've been eyeing Yakuza ever since it went on sale for $8.96 in CC. Fortunately, I remembered to check the list beforehand and was disappointed to see the game on the list. It stated that Yakuza freezes at a certain point in the game. My question is is there any way to bypass that part of the game or should I just chalk up Yakuza in the "Games I wish I Played" list?[/QUOTE]It's not just the 80GB that may have freezing in certain games. I heard there was a point in KH2 where people had their 20/60GB PS3 console freeze on them (which is why a game save was uploaded past that part).

Not sure about the 80GB, but on the 20/60GB, Sonic Mega Collection Plus does NOT work well, since there is slowdown and sound clipping in the Genesis Sonic games.

As for the 80GB, I heard GT4 no longer works and Valkyrie Profile 2 does not work. GGXX Accent Core use to not work, but now it does.

While I appreciate the input, what I'd like to compile are people's experiences with the games, not hearsay. I'm interested to see what issues Yakuza has, since everyone should play that game.

[quote name='mykevermin']While I appreciate the input, what I'd like to compile are people's experiences with the games, not hearsay. I'm interested to see what issues Yakuza has, since everyone should play that game.[/QUOTE]Unless there's something up with my TV, Yakuza looks really bad on my TV. I haven't tested other PS2 games on my TV since the last update, so I'm going to do that in a few days (left my PS2 games at home). It's still playable, just looks really blurry and distorted.

I tested in both Limited and Full, along with 720p and 1080p.

I'm currently playing KH2 for the first time on my 60GB, so if it locks up I'll report back here. But so far things are fine.

[quote name='robobagins']I'm currently playing KH2 for the first time on my 60GB, so if it locks up I'll report back here. But so far things are fine.[/QUOTE]

Good lord..

This is for the 80gb ps3. You have the 60gb. the 60gb is near one hundred percent capable, theres maybe 5 games that aren't, which may have been fixed Im not sure

Keep the hearsay and such to a minimum.. not "oh ill test it out later"

This way we can get a list together for people who have or want an 80gb but dont know if their game will work on the system.

[quote name='mykevermin']So...anyone wanna try out Yakuza and Rygar on their 80GB? GT4? Kingdom Hearts?[/quote]

Just tried my friends copy of GT4. What a mess. Tried loading it up three times with no success then at the fourth attempt, it managed to play but the game ran in slo-motion. Overall, it was unplayable.

Oh well, guess I can replay the GT Prologue demo a bit more.

I will try to pick up a copy of Yakuza, KH, and Rygar soon so I may test the games out myself. I'll report back as soon as I get some decent playing time with each game.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks so far. I can confirm that MGS3: Subsistence works just fine on the 60GB.[/quote]

Just a note, the copy I played was the original one and not the Subsistence version.

I've been playing Yakuza on my 80 without any problems so far. Of course I am not really far in the game so that may make a difference. No noticable load times or anything wrong with it. What part does it freeze at? I am super into this game and don't want it to just stop on me.

I didn't play it for very long but Valkyrie Profile 2 worked on my 80GB.

I didn't see Persona 3 on the sony list but have yet to confirm that it actually doesn't work.

To let everyone know (although not 80GB related), Yakuza does indeed look jaggy/pixelated on a 20/60GB PS3. I tested a few PS2 games which looked fine on my PS3 before, and they still look fine right now. I tested Yakuza, and it looked much worse compared to a PS2. Not sure how it looks on an 80GB compared to the PS2.

I can't get any love from Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I put the disc in, it makes some noise for about 90 seconds, and then ejects the disc.

There's a few graphical issues listed on the BC list, but I can't even get to the start screen on my 80GB PS3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']To let everyone know (although not 80GB related)[/QUOTE]

:wall: It looks and runs fine on my 60GB, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Blackout, I don't know what part of the game it freezes at, so I can't be of any help.

bmachine, thanks for the info. Perhaps we can get some 20/60GB owners to test the games in listed in the OP to see if they have the same problems or not?

[quote name='mykevermin']:wall: It looks and runs fine on my 60GB, so I don't know what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]When did you last play the game? I was thinking it might have been something an update messed up (sometimes a firmware update does screw with BC games, like Wild Arms 4 stopped working after 1.81 update).

I'll be home tomorrow and I'll gladly try any titles listed in the OP on my 60GB. I do recall trying GT4 in the past and remember it working perfectly and in 1080i to boot.

Ar Tonelico
Karaoke Revolution American Idol

Neither game is compatible at all.

And I know there's more that I'm forgetting, I've had bad luck with the PS2 games I have. Also, to answer the question about Persona 3, I have a "not for sale" review copy and it works fine, not sure if any problems come later on in the game as I only got about 30 minutes into it, but it at least loaded up which is more than I can say for the above two games.

Fire Pro Wrestling plays but there are some pretty bad graphical glitches. The 2.10 update fix things a bit but it still has problems. As for Persona 3, I'm currently playing through that and I haven't had a single problem.

Could someone try the Ratchet series? That's A-1 priority right there for me. To hear GT4 doesn't work? That's almost a deal breaker right there.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Could someone try the Ratchet series? That's A-1 priority right there for me. To hear GT4 doesn't work? That's almost a deal breaker right there.[/quote]

I've played all of them on my 80GB PS3 and they run well. Not too pretty on my HDTV, but completely playable.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']No bad slowdowns like the website says? That was a huge red flag for me.[/quote]

Me as well. Main reason I was shooting for a 60GB. I haven't tried them out yet, but I've heard they are playable.

[quote name='method47']Me as well. Main reason I was shooting for a 60GB. I haven't tried them out yet, but I've heard they are playable.[/quote]

All of the Ratchet and Clank games run at between 15-30 FPS on an 80 GB PS3. Frankly, this is unacceptable to me as I'm a huge fan of the series and it is known for its fast, smooth framerates in all the games.

Believe me, I hate to tell you this but emulation in the RC games were a bg priority for me as well.

I started Yakuza on my 60GB last night and it does look pretty bad, like I'm playing it through a screen door. Turning smoothing on helped a little but it still looks pretty weird, especially in cutscenes. My friend said it looked fine on his 60GB in SD, so it's probably a side-effect of the upscaler. I'll try switching the resolution around later.

(I know, not 80GB related, but I noticed some Yakuza chatter.)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']As for the 80GB, I heard GT4 no longer works and Valkyrie Profile 2 does not work.[/QUOTE]
The compatibility website notes that VP2 used to crash at one point in the game, but that was fixed in 2.10. Though there still seems to be jittery graphics/staticy audio.

[quote name='JasonHasRSI']All of the Ratchet and Clank games run at between 15-30 FPS on an 80 GB PS3. Frankly, this is unacceptable to me as I'm a huge fan of the series and it is known for its fast, smooth framerates in all the games.[/quote]

Weird. I've never actually played these games on a PS2, so I don't have a point of comparison...but they seemed fine to me on the PS3.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I tried out Soul Calibur 3 on my 80GB, and it runs at about 70% of full speed. It's unplayable.[/quote]

Man and SC 3 is my favorite PS2 game. I'm glad someone made this thread because the Sony Website isn't very informative. I thought 80GB BC was going to be OK but looks like there are some major issues with even some of the big titles. I would expect GT4 to run perfectly because we will have to wait so long for GT5 to come out. I wasn't sure how much BC would mean to me until I started reading this thread. I have a huge PS2 collection thanks to CAG and I would really like to enjoy them on PS3 since I fear my Fat PS2 might be on it's last legs. I might have to go out and find a 60 GB but even that sounds difficult now these days.

Thanks for the info, Sprintsucks5892. Keep 'em comin'!

Also, let me know if you run into zero problems with a game - some people surely want to know what does work, too.

Can I ask a request to find exactly what Odin Sphere is like on the 80 gig? The BC site is cryptically vague whether or not it corrupts files for real. This is what it states:

Description: When the user attempts to create new game save data, a message indicating that all previous save data files are corrupted may appear.

I appologize if this is not where I should ask this.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks for the info, Sprintsucks5892. Keep 'em comin'!

Also, let me know if you run into zero problems with a game - some people surely want to know what does work, too.[/quote]

The Art of Fighting Collection seems to work fine for the 80.

[quote name='Blackout542']The Art of Fighting Collection seems to work fine for the 80.[/quote]

There's a pretty good argument for the 40GB model.

Persona 3 and Odin Sphere work perfectly for me. In fact, Odin Sphere's load times are greatly reduced on the PS3. If it matters, I started a new file using a New Game+ on P3, and am continuing on one of my 3 files for OS.

How much time have you put into Odin Sphere on the PS3? Are your save files brough over from the PS2, or have you put the brunt of your gameplay on the 80GB?

[quote name='mykevermin']How much time have you put into Odin Sphere on the PS3? Are your save files brough over from the PS2, or have you put the brunt of your gameplay on the 80GB?[/quote]
I've put about 30 minutes on the game on my PS3. I brought over my save files from my PS2 using the Memory Card Adapter.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

If anyone still doesn't know the website here it is, I thought most of the good games run on 80GB PS3, when you do the queries, make sure you type it correctly, for example first I thought R Type Final doesn't work and it turns out I have to type R-Type rather than R Type, I thought most good RPGs work on 80GB, even Growlanser Generations.

One question for those who can verify, for the update patches, may I download it to my PC and save it on my compact Flash card and transfer to my PS3? I don't have any plans to play this thing online, nor would I want to hooked it up online just for updates.

Does Persona 3 work on the 80GB PS3?

I picked up a copy last night but I can't find it on the compatibility list.

I don't want to open the package until I know I'm going to be able to play it!

I just bought the 80GB PS3 three days ago. I only play the PS2 (two) version of Madden 08 because i usually get 5-7 guys together to play it. Its TERRIBLE. The screen is slightly jumpy, shakes up and down and then freezes about 2 minutes into gameplay.

Madden 08 (playstation 2 version) freezes on the P3/80Gb. Anyone else experience this? Version 2.10 update is currently loaded.

I tried Parappa the Rapper 2 on my 60GB. It worked fine. Played through the first level and nothing wrong.

It's not a PS2 game, but PS1 Bust a Groove technically works, but the timing is off on everything and it's unplayable. Tried it on remote play, too, and it's still unplayable. Sony's site had this game marked as 'fixed' but it's not.

I'll try Soul Calibur 3 later.

Tried Amplitude last night and it works perfectly (But the Sixaxis's R2 button sucks). I didn't notice any issues with my Freqs that the official site says.

[quote name='mykevermin']
GAMES THAT WORK ON 80GB AND 60GB

Jak & Daxter

GAMES THAT DON'T WORK ON 80GB, BUT WORK ON 60GB

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I put the disc in, it makes some noise for about 90 seconds, and then ejects the disc.
[/quote]

Typo ?

Good idea , beats the hell out of looking everything up the Sony way .

bread's done
Back