CAGcast #103: Download This!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD and Wombat get upset by downloadable content, the Xbox Live lawsuit, and pretty much everything else. However, we pull ourselves together to discuss the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag questions, and so much more!

Win an HDTV, a year's supply of Old Spice, and a Mad Catz Xbox 360 prize pack!
Win AirDrives Interactive Stereo Earphones and an iPod Shuffle!
Thanks, UGO!

Stab Meet Wombat at the Advance Wars Launch Event at the Nintendo World Store, 1/20 at 1pm.

Nintendo World Store
10 Rockefeller Plaza, NYC

1) The first 25 people in line will get a free copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin!
2) Multiple contests with awesome Nintendo prizes
3) Nintendo characters for photo ops!

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast103.mp3[/media]
Download - 117 minutes, 54MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Rock Band DLC for January accidentally revealed, includes Oasis, Rush, and more
CheapyD (and Wombat) on Evil Avatar Radio
The 5th Annual Cheapy Awards

Donate Games to the Troops in Iraq
CAG Foreplay #29: Wii-Em-Ups

Prototype footage: Yes, Morgan, he did just squish him with a helicopter
radical
Left 4 Dead Hands-on Previews

Meet Wombat at the Advance Wars Launch Event
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice
Anno 1701 on Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Earns Perfect Score from Japanese Magazine
Third Party Wii Games Aren't Selling
Joystiq interview: Patrick Goschy talks about Midway, tells us he 'made the Wii' - Video
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Earns Perfect Score from Japanese Magazine

Echocrome Hits Japanese PSN In March
Sony says SingStar store will get updates soon
Holy Hitler! Bionic Commando Rearmed footage revealed
Rumorang: Crysis '1.5' to PS3, not Xbox 360

Tabulator: Xbox Live Video Marketplace vs. Apple TV
Virtua Fighter: Actual Rip-Off
Xbox Live Lawsuit Not Just About The Money, Says Lawyer

Circuit City video game prices 1/20/08-1/26/08
UEFA Champions League (360) $9.99 at Amazon
Superman Returns (360) $9.99 amazon.com

Jack Thompson sues... wait a minute.. its the other way around. TAKE-TWO SUES JACK T!

Games Industry Lobbyists Target Washington Pols
ESPN To Take Major League Gaming Seriously
German-based computer hardware company Tomarni has developed a performance-enhancing drug for pro gamers called FpsBrain.
Can we save Atari or is it too late?

CAGbag

Digg the CAGcast
Digg CAG Foreplay
MySpace
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: CD-I w/Phil Hartman

Bonus pictures

Bonus video - Wombat at Nintendo World Store
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3F1HZ4R5k[/MEDIA]

Wombat eating those 100 calories oreos made me hungry for oreos at 2 am. So I'm about to go walk to 7-11 and get some.......
So far an entertaining great show I'll keep listening during the walk.

100 calorie packs...control yourself don't let Nabisco control you.
Cashmere is goat wool. Its spelling is a bastardization of Kashmir

Regarding Suda 51, in 2006 he said the following:

IGN: Why did you choose the Wii for Heroes?

Suda: People will probably buy the Wii and play family games like Wii Sports, so we decided to develop Heroes for the Wii because gamers might get tired of the family games eventually. Also, people who are going to buy the Wii are interested in trying something different, something that's an extraordinary action game.
Killer7 sold 28k LTD in Japan between the PS2 and Gamecube which together made a huge install base for the game. NMH has about 12k known sales in Japan on only 4.8 million consoles. NMH is doing better than his other games, he just needs context.

In regards to 3rd parties in Japan, they outperformed 3rd parties on PS3/360 in 2007, despite the attach rate. Add in vastly lower dev costs for those games as a bonus.

3rd parties cant avoid competing with Nintendo just by avoiding their platform.

For Japan in 2007, 1st Party Nintendo software on the Wii outsold all other non-1st party Wii software. That is to say (1st+3rd Party for 360+PS3, along with 3rd party Wii).

Same story with the DS. 1st party DS >3rd Party DS + ALL PSP combined.

Thats a failing of 3rd parties to compete across the board, not just on a single platform.

I'll listen tonight, but I wonder why the lawyers for the XBL lawsuit haven't made it a class action suit. I, and a lot of other people I'm sure, would join in.

Bionic Commando ReArmed looks great for PSN and XBLA. No online co-op for the game. They did say there are other modes that they keeping secret.

I agree with CheapyD about DLC.There is another exception Killzone:Liberation. They added another level to the game and a multiplayer online mode.

Hype-Wagon:Bionic Commando ReArmed,Patapon,Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel 2: Sons of Liberty, B-Boy,Metal Gear Online

Wombat -World Games for Commodore64 had a game with Caber Tossing.Similar to your"World's Strongest Man" game idea.
WorldGames16.gif

Cheapy, Wombat, good show as always! One IMPORTANT correction:

You CAN use your GH2 and GH3 guitars with Rock Band on the 360. In fact, they are preferred to the guitar that comes with Rock Band (mine broke already, they replaced it for free, but it's pretty much reserved for bass use).

Rock Band is fun as hell, my wife and I play it together almost every night.

[quote name='gorgo']Cheapy, Wombat, good show as always! One IMPORTANT correction:

You CAN use your GH2 and GH3 guitars with Rock Band on the 360. In fact, they are preferred to the guitar that comes with Rock Band (mine broke already, they replaced it for free, but it's pretty much reserved for bass use).

Rock Band is fun as hell, my wife and I play it together almost every night.[/QUOTE]

He was referring to the PS3 version.

quick correction Cheapy, a 360 game is about 4.7GB since that's all a single 360 DVD disc can hold. btw, nice hat!

Wombat, good luck with the car thing. i can't believe you got it FREE! that's the ultimate deal, lol...

[quote name='LiK']quick correction Cheapy, a 360 game is about 4.7GB since that's all a single 360 DVD disc can hold. btw, nice hat!

Wombat, good luck with the car thing. i can't believe you got it FREE! that's the ultimate deal, lol...[/quote]

Actually, I think 4.7 GB is the maximum size for a single layer disk. I believe a dual layer disk can hold up to 8.5 GB.

[quote name='traslin']Actually, I think 4.7 GB is the maximum size for a single layer disk. I believe a dual layer disk can hold up to 8.5 GB.[/quote]

oh yes, you're right. i was thinking of DVD-5 but 360 games are DVD-9. ^^;;;

o yea Cheapy, i can't wait for you to check out Harvey Birdman. i love that show, it's totally hilarious! :D

I posted under X-Files 2:

"I wonder what combination of movies this one will be like? I’m thinking Alien, The Thing, with a sprinkle of When Harry Met Sally."

Posted by abudde on 01/18 at 09:42 AM

You CAN NOT use the Xbox guitar on the PS3, I plugging mine in and will not work.

Oh yeah I almost forgot WTF about the day care thing? I work full time and so does my wife we need child care. It's a bit better now that my son is in School most of the day, but really wtf makes someone a fake. I know I should make my wife quit her job and stay at home, cook my food, and take care of the kid hell is it 1953 again jack ass. Hell I guess Cheapy running his site and doing the CAGcast is'nt a job.

Re: Apollo Justice

Phoenix Wright is in Apollo Justice, but due to circumstance beyond his control, he's been disbarred as a lawyer.

weather pending, it seems I might have to do this Advance Wars event.

Normally I dont hold much beef about what you say, but this time stuff seemed to get under my skin.

You continue on your OMG 5 gig install issue with DMC4. You failed to see where I said it eliminated ALL LOAD TIMES in the game. Therefore making the game a more streamlined expirence. Personally I would rather have a 20 min install time, and have no load times, then have to worry about load times while going in and out of enviornments.

The second thing I have noticed is that if its not a first person shooter, Cheapy seems to turn his nose up at it. It might just be me but it just seems this way.

Next, I dont know why you single out Virtua Fighter 5 for having downloadable content thats already on the disc, its not like any of those items are going to take away from the game. If you want to get on someone for downloadable content, get on EA, espically EA Sport, charging for alternate jerseys? Whats next paying to have grass on the field? Please dont aim your hate at download content for a game that does not deserve it.

Also Congratz to wombat on hosting the Advance Wars launch. I would be there to stalk you if I lived closer to NY.

Thanks guys and Keep Up the good work.

[quote name='StarWarpCrackerWave']Wombat eating those 100 calories oreos made me hungry for oreos at 2 am. So I'm about to go walk to 7-11 and get some.......
.[/QUOTE]

Listening to him crinkling the package was freakin annoying.

Is it so hard to go an hour without eating?

I disagree with the nonsense about the Wii being only for non-gamers. It is simply not for hardcore gamers. There are plenty of regular games for the Wii. As someone who has a busy life -kids, career, other hobbies, I don't need 10 games a week. 1 solid release a month is plenty plus the a few mini-games for the nights when I only have a spare 30 minutes to play.

I would be nice if the two of you could appreciate consoles from perspectives beyond your own.

I don't know who wrote in about daycare but perhaps they are living in the 60's. Many men and women have full-time jobs, thus explaining the reason why daycare centers are EVERYWHERE. And take it from someone who knows, I have two kids and daycare is crazy expensive but quite necessary.

Wombat, many congratulations on the MC gig. Public speaking seems like something that would be right up your alley.

Way to go and hopefully the engagements keep on coming.

[quote name='LiK']quick correction Cheapy, a 360 game is about 4.7GB since that's all a single 360 DVD disc can hold. btw, nice hat!

Wombat, good luck with the car thing. i can't believe you got it FREE! that's the ultimate deal, lol...[/QUOTE]
The 360 uses a dual layered DVD. Double that number there.
[quote name='InuFaye']Normally I dont hold much beef about what you say, but this time stuff seemed to get under my skin.

You continue on your OMG 5 gig install issue with DMC4. You failed to see where I said it eliminated ALL LOAD TIMES in the game. Therefore making the game a more streamlined expirence. Personally I would rather have a 20 min install time, and have no load times, then have to worry about load times while going in and out of enviornments.[/QUOTE]
Dude, it's not about load times. It's about taking up a huge amount of space on your hard drive. If you have a 40 gig HDD on a PS3, then 5 gigs is 12.5% of that.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']The 360 uses a dual layered DVD. Double that number there.
[/quote]

errr, i already acknowledged my error in a post above :)

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']The 360 uses a dual layered DVD. Double that number there.

Dude, it's not about load times. It's about taking up a huge amount of space on your hard drive. If you have a 40 gig HDD on a PS3, then 5 gigs is 12.5% of that.[/quote]

Its not like you cant delete it once you finish the game.
Also, its 12.5%. You still have 87.5% LEFT!

You arent gonna use all that space.
Find something else to bitch about for fucks sake.

Great Episode Cheapy and Wombat!

I totally agree with you both on the downloadable content, of the little bit of DL content I did buy I have regretted it afterwards (but at least I didn't pay for horse armour).

Thanks too for answering my question, I am also a Star Wars fan Wombat and I look forward to any pics you get up of your collection, sounds like a cool place to hang out.

Can't wait until your next episode!

Just as a reference, the japanese name for Ace Attorney; Gyakuten Saiban (sp?) was a literal translation as Turnabout Courtroom. Hence why most the episodes have Turnabout in their name.

The series was never meant to have Phoenix Wright as the main character all the time. But, if I remember correctly, the fourth game wasn't out when they started the release in the US/EU/UK.

Flash Gordon FTW. "Go Flash, Go! Go Flash, Go!"
What ever happened to that chick that played Princess Aura? She was smoking in 1980.
Brian Blessed rocked in that movie.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']stfu fool, the point isn't about no load times.[/quote]

Fool?

Ha. Quite the contrary.

The install is to get rid of the load times.

You give up 5 gigs of data to eliminate all the load times, I mean how much clearer can I be.

Most Playstation 3's have either 40, 60, or 80gbs of space stock. I dont think you will miss 5 gigs of room. Just delete your demo for Genji that you still have on there, and you are good to go.

If you want load times in your games, well im not gonna call anyone names.

You are quite foolish to say it does not have anything to do with load times.

Ive gotten to the point where if people are really this stupid then they deserve to be angry about something.

[quote name='InuFaye']Fool?

Ha. Quite the contrary.

The install is to get rid of the load times.

You give up 5 gigs of data to eliminate all the load times, I mean how much clearer can I be.

Most Playstation 3's have either 40, 60, or 80gbs of space stock. I dont think you will miss 5 gigs of room. Just delete your demo for Genji that you still have on there, and you are good to go.

If you want load times in your games, well im not gonna call anyone names.

You are quite foolish to say it does not have anything to do with load times.

Ive gotten to the point where if people are really this stupid then they deserve to be angry about something.[/QUOTE]
What he said.

It's a one time install, and it makes it so the PS3 version has smaller load times than the 360 version. There's a fact for you. For once, the PS3 version of a game is the best version and it seems like Cheapy HAS to find something wrong with it.

Thanks for the shoutout on the "Donate Games to the Troops in Iraq" thread Cheapy! Hopefully the advertisment will get the donation drive to expand greatly.

~HotShotX

There are some people (myself included) that want to play a game when they insert the disc, not when a console has told them that the install process is done. It was one of the differences between PCs and consoles; if I wanted to install, I'd have a PC on it's own.

Having said that, as you said Rei, it makes near-enough the entire thing run off the console itself, which /has/ to make the game load faster.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']What he said.

It's a one time install, and it makes it so the PS3 version has smaller load times than the 360 version. There's a fact for you. For once, the PS3 version of a game is the best version and it seems like Cheapy HAS to find something wrong with it.[/quote]

"about time we saw something related to the X-files 2, can’t wait for this to come out.

Posted by Eliazar on 01/18 at 03:57 PM"

[quote name='kPod']There are some people (myself included) that want to play a game when they insert the disc, not when a console has told them that the install process is done. It was one of the differences between PCs and consoles; if I wanted to install, I'd have a PC on it's own.

Having said that, as you said Rei, it makes near-enough the entire thing run off the console itself, which /has/ to make the game load faster.[/quote]

Honestly, have you played any major game on the ps3. They almost all require installs. Its 20 mins, make a sandwhich, watch tv, check cag, whatever,its not gonna kill you.

Jesus.

Sorry, Cheapy but you had some bad luck with the technical issues this week.

Quick one: 360 and PS3 peripherals are not cross compatible even though they have the same USB connection.

Longer one: DVD/Blu-ray discussion.

OK, lets do it:

#1: Blu-Ray is NOT slower than DVD. Without getting into the details, DVD is only faster than Blu-ray on the outer rim of the first layer. As you get deeper into a dual-layer DVD, the read speed drops considerably. Blu-Ray has a constant speed throughout. If you want more info, Criterion Games (makers of Burnout) discuss it in detail on their podcast:

http://www.criteriongames.com/podcast/audio/crashfm_15_080111.mp3

#2: Resistance was NOT duplicating data. This story broke back when the entire internet press was jumping on every possible negative story against the PS3. Some kid made a mistake in analyzing the disc, and all the blogs reported on it. Check out how many times Joystiq had to update after their embarrassing coverage:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/26/resistance-17-75gb-of-garbage/

There was some padding because the disc contained every region/language, but not repeated content as you claimed.

The DMC4 install is about eliminating load times. Nothing more. If it weren't for the 360 Arcade/Core pack breaking standard HDD access, the 360 version would probably also have an install.

I wish you had just said "I got it wrong" without trying to justify your mistake with "facts" that weren't.

Anyway, love the show. Keep up the good work, but maybe just leave out the technical discussions in the future.

Did anybody else just despise the evil avatar show. i added it to juice figuring it cant be that bad but after listening to it i deleted the feed and will never listen to it again.

Hype Wagon: bionic commando both the rearmed and new gen editions, ikaruga, and prototype

bread's done
Back