Cheaper Alternatives to Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

PrarieD0G

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
EDIT: Buy.com is currently selling 360 wireless adapters for $70 with free shipping. At this price, it would probably be easiest just to get one from there. Link: http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-wi...ft-xbox-360-wireless/q/loc/108/201975281.html

In about a week I will be buying an Xbox 360. To get internet, I would need a wireless adapter, so I look it up online... and... it's $100?!! There's no way I'm letting Microsoft overcharge(screw) me like that.

Anyway, being the cheap ass that I am, I searched and I found a workaround to get wireless internet for about half the price. Basically you get a wireless router and install this custom firmware called DD-WRT. Using DD-WRT, you can then set your router as a wireless adapter (aka Wireless Bridge) and use it with your 360 to get wireless internet. The only catch is that your router must be compatible with DD-WRT. The cheapest compatible router I could find was the Linksys WRT54GL - $50 $65 with free shipping from Newegg. You can also check the list of Supported Devices to see if you already have a compatible router.

[quote name='wubb']This is a good option for some people but a few things to note

1) This is a lot more complicated than just using a gaming adapter.

2) Make sure you can get a wireless signal at your 360. [/quote] If this seems to complicated or confusing to you, just scroll down for links to easy-to-set-up (and cheap) gaming adapters.

Note: Make sure you begin by installing the Mini version of DD-WRT, then upgrade to the Full version. This is in the instructions, but I want to make sure no one bricks their router by starting with the full version.

First, follow this guide on upgrading your firmware to DD-WRT:
http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Detailed step-by-step screenshots/instructions (use with first guide):
http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/routerupgrade/1609902

How to use DD-WRT to set your router as a Wireless Bridge:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge#Example

Well, I hope this helps someone. It may require a little extra effort, but it is definitely worth it. Plus, if you ever sell your 360, you'll have a nice wireless router with awesome capabilities.

PS: I've been using DD-WRT with my current router for over a year now to boost the wireless signal--another nice feature of the firmware; I just never realized that it had the capability to turn a router into a wireless adapter, too. I went and bought another one just for use with my 360.

*Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you do to your hardware in following the above guide.*
-------------------------------------------------------

For the Non-geeks, there are also wireless gaming adapters available, which are MUCH easier to set up, and still cheaper than the Xbox 360 Wireless adapter. Thanks to shrike4242 for this info.

Also, the original Xbox wireless adapters can be had for around $50-$60 and will also work with the Xbox 360.

[quote name='"Shrike"']
The gaming adapters from Linksys, D-Link and Netgear end up being easier solutions to do the setup, though most of them need a PC to get set up 100%, they're only guaranteed to work on a single console, and you really need to get the same brand of device for the adapter that you're using for your router to make it as easy as possible.

Current shipping gaming adapters:
Netgear:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adap...rs/WGE111.aspx

DLink:
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=333
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=383

Linksys:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=2661900349B06
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout &cid=1175239647577&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVis itorWrapper&lid=4757740536B01

Discontinued game adapters:
Linksys:
WGA11B
WGA54G

Discontinued network bridges:
Linksys:
WET11B
WET54G[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a router as a bridge is by far the best solution, lower cost and more features than a wireless adapter.

You can actually use the router to attach multiple devices to your wireless network (HTPC, DVR, etc.) and I believe that firmware or another one out there also allows for the use of Linux firewall rules which can be very useful.

lemme get this straight: you use a rigged wireless router as a wireless adapter to connect to another wireless router?

why not just buy a cheap xbox-compatible adapter?

At 45-55 dollars out of pocket for you you might want to consider just buying the 360 adapter off ebay , I just checked randomly for a week when I needed one and managed to get one for 50 shipped.

[quote name='coolsteel']At 45-55 dollars out of pocket for you you might want to consider just buying the 360 adapter off ebay , I just checked randomly for a week when I needed one and managed to get one for 50 shipped.[/quote]

Do you refer to these auctions? If so, do they work with the 360 as well?

Not that I'm particularly interested, as I connect through my lappy, but someone may want to know. ;]

[quote name='Brian9824']Or you can just buy any wireless gaming adapter for like $30 that works on the xbox and it will work on the 360....[/quote]
Show me a $30 gaming adapter, and I'll include it in the OP. I have yet to see one for that cheap.

[quote name='chasemurata']Do you refer to these auctions? If so, do they work with the 360 as well?

Not that I'm particularly interested, as I connect through my lappy, but someone may want to know. ;][/quote]
Yes, those would work as well. If you're not a techno-geek, that would be another good alternative.

I just like doing the router thing because if I ever get rid of my 360, I'll still have a sweet router. It's costs about the same as a cheap adapter, but you get a whole lot more. Plus, it's kinda fun to mess with (for me, anway), lol.

This is a good option for some people but a few things to note

1) This is a lot more complicated than just using a gaming adapter.

2) Make sure you can get a wireless signal at your 360.

I considered going this route but picked up a Netgear WET11 (wireless ethernet adapter) instead which ended up getting a spotty signal in my basement.

So I picked up a pair of Netgear XE102s (ethernet powerline adapters) from eBay but the seller shipped me the wrong thing and I'm still fighting for a refund. :bomb:

So currently I have a long ethernet cable running from my 360 in the basement to the WET11 sitting at the top of the stairs on the main level. It gets a good signal there.

Have to agree that MS charging $100 for the official wifi adapter is ridiculous. That should be $50 max IMO.

I'm already doing this with my 360, PS3, Wii, OG Xbox and PS2. I'm doing it a little differently, as I'm using a WAP54G instead of the WRT54GL, as at the time, I was just doing WEP encryption on my network. The Linksys FW worked perfect when just using WEP, with a switch hung off of the Ethernet port on the WAP54G for all of the other consoles.

When I went to WPA, I was forced to go to the DD-WRT FW, though it was a real bitch to get it working with WDS + WPA. The v23 SP2 FW for the WAP54G isn't 100% flawless, though the v24 FW does have a specific option for the WAP54G, so I won't have any issues in the future.

As long as you set up the router fronting for the 360 as a Gateway and not a Router, you should be OK. At least, I think that's the change I just made to take care of some random issues with my network being odd. I'll check it when I get home and see how I have it set up.

With this setup, I routinely have the PS3 and the 360 doing downloads from PSN/XBL at the same time without issue.

Some points to think about:
1) The MS adapter for the 360 ends up being the easiest solution for any of the possible ways to do it, though it's the most expensive.
2) The gaming adapters from Linksys, D-Link and Netgear end up being easier solutions to do the setup, though most of them need a PC to get set up 100%, they're only guaranteed to work on a single console, and you really need to get the same brand of device for the adapter that you're using for your router to make it as easy as possible.
3) The 2nd router w/DD-WRT firmware (or other 3rd party FW) is the most powerful option, though it's the most messy solution to get up and working. It's nowhere as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. It also gives the cheapest point of entry, as some of the Buffalo hardware that works with DD-WRT has gone for real cheap online and at some retailers.

Current shipping gaming adapters:
Netgear:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adap...rs/WGE111.aspx

DLink:
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=333
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=383

Linksys:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=2661900349B06
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175239647577&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4757740536B01

Discontinued game adapters:
Linksys:
WGA11B
WGA54G

Discontinued network bridges:
Linksys:
WET11B
WET54G

It's nowhere near as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. It also gives the cheapest point of entry, as some of the Buffalo hardware that works with DD-WRT has gone for real cheap online and at some retailers.
Yes, that's why I've linked to a detailed guide. If you have any experience (at all) setting up/securing routers, I don't think it's really all that complicated. Also most of the Buffalo routers are discontinued an go for a high price online. I haved searched thoroughly, and the WRT54GL is currently the cheapest option available.

EDIT: Also having 3 devices connected to the bridge WOULD complicate things, I'd imagine. I don't think most people would do this since there is a built-in wireless adapter in both the Wii and PS3. The only benefit of doing this would be (perhaps) better reception and the added security of WPA (if you are using it).

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Yes, that's why I've linked to a detailed guide. If you have any experience (at all) setting up/securing routers, I don't think it's really all that complicated. Also most of the Buffalo routers are discontinued an go for a high price online. I haved searched thoroughly, and the WRT54GL is currently the cheapest option available.[/quote]The link posted isn't detailed at all. It's a high-level glossed-over article that basically tells you to go look over the DD-WRT Wiki and the DD-WRT forums for any specifics.

The image posted in the article posted in the OP shows an incorrect config, in any case, because it shows that it's getting a DHCP address from somewhere else, though it's also pumping out DHCP client addresses in the same range as used by default by the DD-WRT and Linksys firmware. :whistle2:s

If you really want to get the DD-WRT firmware up and running, I'd spend plenty of time going through the DD-WRT wiki and forums, as well as ask on that forum for help. The linked article in the OP is so high-level, it's not useful.

Found a much better guide for installing DD-WRT (this is the one I used when I installed DD-WRT):
http://lifehacker.com/photogallery/routerupgrade/

Check that one out. I agree, the first article I had posted was just sorta glossed over... not very useful. Sorry if you think this whole idea sucks... I just wanted to throw the idea out there, just in case anyone was interested. I am by no means an expert on networking (obviously).

I used an Asus WL-330g for awhile. Got it for ~$50. It was easy to set up and is a lot smaller than other routers.

Now I use ethernet. Just had to move my cable modem and router to my entertainment center. I have a WRT54GL with Tomato firmware installed. I've found Tomato to be more stable than DD-WRT and I had an easier time getting it to work with Live. For some reason the UPnP on DD-WRT wasn't working correctly and I couldn't get an 'Open' NAT Type on Live. Couldn't join some friends' games because of it.

Yeah, actually I switched to Tomato the other day on my current router (thanks to Lifehacker). I'm not sure which I like better (DD-WRT or Tomato), but both of them serve my needs fine. Does tomato have the ability to change a router into a bridge too?

Got a buddy with the same problem. I remember 2-3 years back there being a bunch of adapters you could use because they connected to the system via the Cat-5. I had one of those that stayed on my list forever until it sold for only $20.

how do you do that?

i bought my girlfriend the wireless adapter. but she doesn't know her network password and stuff. but her laptop can connet.....

I did this 2 years ago with one of my old Belkin routers. Didn't want to pay $100 for the Xbox adapter, and found that I can do this. The wonderful thing was that it also extends your wireless range through the bridge. My Wii can now get full bars down in the basement.
The only problem is that this solution is definitely not recommended for the faint hearted in setup.

[quote name='cdneng2']. The wonderful thing was that it also extends your wireless range through the bridge. My Wii can now get full bars down in the basement. [/quote] Oh, it does? That's awesome, I didn't know that.

Cameronie, I wouldn't recommend this setup for your girlfriend, hehe. She would need to know the password in order to connect either way. If all else fails, reset the router (using the button on the back). She'll lose all security, but at least she'll be able to connect. Google "how to secure wireless network" and you can find out how to reconfigure the settings; it's not too difficult.

Or you could do it for free by using your desktop/laptop as the wireless signal. That's how I do it.

I turn my macbook pro on and hook my xbox 360 to it using an ethernet (need an crossover cable for windows) cable and then all I need to to is make sure the ip and stuff is set for the xbox and its all set to go. No need to spend any more money.

Guys, I'm in awe of the lengths you go through to get this stuff working.

I'm my own brand of crazy, I pulled 4 Cat5 lines to each room in the house when I was restoring the place.

[quote name='chex20']Or you could do it for free by using your desktop/laptop as the wireless signal. That's how I do it.

I turn my macbook pro on and hook my xbox 360 to it using an ethernet (need an crossover cable for windows) cable and then all I need to to is make sure the ip and stuff is set for the xbox and its all set to go. No need to spend any more money.[/quote]
Yeah, that's another pretty handy solution, although it's not as permanent has using a wireless router or adapter. Works just as well though.

Haha, that's aweome foltzie. For me, setting up this router thing isn't really that much trouble. I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest, lol. I'm just a geek like that. XP

[quote name='foltzie']Guys, I'm in awe of the lengths you go through to get this stuff working.

I'm my own brand of crazy, I pulled 4 Cat5 lines to each room in the house when I was restoring the place.[/quote]That's not that crazy. If you're in the walls and redoing a house, there's no reason not to do it.

If I build a house, it'll have multiple CAT6 jacks, multiple RG58/cable jacks and multiple voice jacks in every major room.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's not that crazy. If you're in the walls and redoing a house, there's no reason not to do it.

If I build a house, it'll have multiple CAT6 jacks, multiple RG58/cable jacks and multiple voice jacks in every major room.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget lengths of twine connected to empty soup cans for an intercom system.

I use the WGA54G for all my systems : PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, I also used it for my Sony Location Free and Dish Network 622-DVR. Used with a Netgear switch and voila instant internet in the living room. They also have those home electric wire internet jobbers as well that is cheaper than $100!

[quote name='wubb']For some reason they think $60 is saving 20% :whistle2:/[/quote]

But in this case it works in the consumer's favor. 20% off of $100 is $20...so technically that's $80 it is suppose to be 40% off...so we should be happy? No? :applause:

My router arrived in the mail today, so I went out and bought a 360 Pro too. I checked the PSU wattage on the outside of the box before I even bought it, and it was the 175-watt (wanted to get a Falcon). So I get home open it up, and... Get this--it was manufactured 12/07. Haha, only 1 month old!

Anyway, configuring my new router w/ DD-WRT wasn't too bad. I had a few lessons of trial and error thanks to my MAC address filtering. At first I was trying to use the MAC address printed on the outside of the router as opposed to the internal MAC (the "Wireless" MAC). It was in the DD-WRT wiki, but I overlooked it... Also, I had to set up port forwarding because the UPnP wasn't working correctly. I was so glad when everything finally worked! Phew.

Time for some Guitar Hero III :p.

I heard -- and confirmed -- that you can use an original xbox wireless adapter to connect your 360 instead of the 360 adapter. You just need an ethernet cable. The original xbox wireless adapter is like $40ish BIN on eBay. You could probably get it cheaper.

[quote name='00silvergt']I use the WGA54G for all my systems : PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, I also used it for my Sony Location Free and Dish Network 622-DVR. Used with a Netgear switch and voila instant internet in the living room. They also have those home electric wire internet jobbers as well that is cheaper than $100![/quote]It may work for more than one device, though Linksys says it's only a supported config when connecting the WGA54G to a single device.

Hopefully it'll keep working for you. All the more reason why I went to an AP (or a router, which obviously also works) to make sure it would work in a supported config.

I've discovered the UPnP does in fact work correctly now. I just had to give it a chance to set up. A few attempts to connect to LIVE did the trick.

I was gonna do all that stuff above but I just bought a long ass cable for 10 bucks, used a long drill bit to make a few holes and ran the wire from the first floor to the second along the outside of the house. Plugged in and away it went.

[quote name='shrike4242']It may work for more than one device, though Linksys says it's only a supported config when connecting the WGA54G to a single device.

Hopefully it'll keep working for you. All the more reason why I went to an AP (or a router, which obviously also works) to make sure it would work in a supported config.[/quote]

There shouldn't be a problem since I am using a switch not a hub. The adaptor is really nothing more than a bridge, so it simply connects the wireless network in my den to the switch which feeds the connection of all of other equipment. I can see why Linksys would say it only supports one device since it only has one port and they would love nothing more than we buy one of these for every console we have. It works and continues to work for two years. If it fails it would be because of the MTBF rate of the device. (BTW, my regular day job is that of a Network System Engineer)

Can you connect a wireless Pc adapter through the USB adapter. Or does the lack of XP or Vista on a 360 make that not possible?

I actually ran into some good luck recently with the official 360 wireless network adapter. I found one as an open box item at BB that was marked half off at $50. On top of that I had a $25 gift card so I only paid $25 out of pocket. I have been very pleased with it thus far.

[quote name='jlarlee']Can you connect a wireless Pc adapter through the USB adapter. Or does the lack of XP or Vista on a 360 make that not possible?[/quote]
Nah, it wouldn't work. Like you said, the 360's "OS" does not let you install drivers. Only Microsoft ones would work (or the bridges listed in the OP).

And bigmood, you're a lucky bastard. lol. :p

EDIT: Added a couple of little edits to the OP, including a link to the used 360 adapters at GameFunk.

I've actually gone back and given my 360 a static IP address (very simple to do) because the NAT registered as Restricted on the Xbox Live test and I couldn't join online games. With the static IP, I can use port forwarding to open up the NAT. Everything's working great now.

I followed this guide: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

That site is great, by the way, if you ever need to know anything about port forwarding.

i read on amazon that the original xbox wireless adapter works too...last time i checked it was $50 on amazon w/ free shipping. boo-yaa! kinda glad i hadnt bought the more expensive one. still waiting to get one though...i still want to be able to leave my house!

I'm glad I found out that you can use an original Xbox adapter. I grabbed one a few days ago for only $18.50 shipped on eBay. I didn't get a chance to test it yet since my 360 broke and I'm waiting for it to come back Friday, but hopefully it works.

tl;dr

seems like a innovative but nonpractical way to hook up the 360. It also uses another power plug to power which can always be a problem in a gaming setup.

Sure is. But it's cheaper :p. Heh, I realize that for most people, the older or 3rd-party adapter are the better choice, but this is still cool. Well as long as you have a power strip/surge protector (which most people do), using an extra outlet shouldn't too much of a problem. Plus, if you're hooking up multiple gaming systems to the internet (say, a PS3 and a 360), you can do that all with one router. That's pretty convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back