Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

• Please log in to reply
2065 replies to this topic

#121 DMPugh

DMPugh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:50 AM

Anyone know of any free gaming magazine subscriptions that work for Canada? I see free EGM subs all the time, but they are always restricted to the US. I just want something to read on the can.

Hell, even non-gaming magazines will do. Something, anything.

#122 heimdal

heimdal

I Like Turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

you don't need magazines for that!
do what i always do...play your PSP or DS Lite when doing number 2.
just be careful not to drop the stylus...not that it's happened to me
Posted Image

#123 Firestorm

Firestorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:48 AM

Anyone know of any free gaming magazine subscriptions that work for Canada? I see free EGM subs all the time, but they are always restricted to the US. I just want something to read on the can.

Sign up for the EGM offers when you see them using a US address (a hotel works fine). Change it to your own address a month later when it appears in Ziff Davis' customer service system. Thta's what I did for my sub.

#124 Winnopeg

Winnopeg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

Alternatively, if you subscribe through their website it's cheaper, only $28. Well worth it IMO.

#125 gamer602

gamer602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Sign up for the EGM offers when you see them using a US address (a hotel works fine). Change it to your own address a month later when it appears in Ziff Davis' customer service system. Thta's what I did for my sub.

HOT TIP!!!
Thanks,
FIRESTORM!!!
PLEASE EMAIL ME: gamer602 at gmail.com
DO NOT POST ON RFD!:bomb:
WAY too many HOARDERS THERE!

#126 darkandlong

darkandlong

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

Anyone know EB's policy on return of PO games? I just bought Saint's Row yesterday and the game is scratched to hell. I haven't tested it yet but it looks like crap. I don't understand why they put that sticker on it sealing the case. I guess I'll have to call them later today.

#127 Nesmaster

Nesmaster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

Anyone know EB's policy on return of PO games? I just bought Saint's Row yesterday and the game is scratched to hell. I haven't tested it yet but it looks like crap. I don't understand why they put that sticker on it sealing the case. I guess I'll have to call them later today.

Take it back and just say it doesn't work... they'll give you another one. The sticker is their way of seeing if you've played the used game you bought or not. They'll give a refund if the sticker isn't broken, and if you're smooth you can get the disc out without breaking the seal. :P
Posted Image

#128 darkandlong

darkandlong

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

Take it back and just say it doesn't work... they'll give you another one. The sticker is their way of seeing if you've played the used game you bought or not. They'll give a refund if the sticker isn't broken, and if you're smooth you can get the disc out without breaking the seal. :P

Well I've already opened it. I'll probably call them up and tell them it doesn't work. I'll even take store credit, I just don't want such a craptastic disc. Only disc I've seen marginally worse was a copy of Prey I picked up off ebay - thing would take forever to read and some audio would skip.

Thanks.

#129 DMPugh

DMPugh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

Yeah they're just going to switch the disc for you. I don't think they'll give store credit unless they don't have another copy of the game in stock. They'll likely have another copy of Saints Row used though.

I always ask to see the disc before they seal the game up, and if it doesn't look good I'll request another one. Just saves me time in the long run.

#130 arnoldrimmer

arnoldrimmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

Yeah they're just going to switch the disc for you. I don't think they'll give store credit unless they don't have another copy of the game in stock. They'll likely have another copy of Saints Row used though.

It's been awhile but when I bought Midtown Madness for the Xbox it was scratched and wouldn't play but they didn't have another one so they got another store to ship them one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#131 DMPugh

DMPugh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

That sounds about right. They're just making sure people aren't essentially getting free game rentals.

#132 gamer602

gamer602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:23 PM

Sigh, you guys need to be set straight.
Seal broken:
You have 7 days for a COMPLETE refund...in store credit. Basically A FREE RENTAL. They can ask you to pick anything eles, but I would get a gift card. You can even use the credit towards new consoles.

Unbroken:
You have 30 days for a COMPLETE REFUND.....ie in the method you paid for your game.

The old 14 day policy/exchange only/Calling another store for stock are ALL OLD EB POLICIES B4 GAMESTOP BOUGHT THEM....yes the above are EB CANADA'S POLICY.

#133 Faytz

Faytz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Anyone know the best place to buy external hard drives? I haven't decided how big I want it but the usual places like best buy seem over priced...

Thanks.

#134 DMPugh

DMPugh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

Sigh, you guys need to be set straight.
Seal broken:
You have 7 days for a COMPLETE refund...in store credit. Basically A FREE RENTAL. They can ask you to pick anything eles, but I would get a gift card. You can even use the credit towards new consoles.

Unbroken:
You have 30 days for a COMPLETE REFUND.....ie in the method you paid for your game.

The old 14 day policy/exchange only/Calling another store for stock are ALL OLD EB POLICIES B4 GAMESTOP BOUGHT THEM....yes the above are EB CANADA'S POLICY.

Man why are you shouting? Yeah thanks for "setting us straight", but geez...

#135 gamer602

gamer602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

Man why are you shouting? Yeah thanks for "setting us straight", but geez...

I'm not shouting.
I just like using capitals for the impotant parts....
please dont take it the wrong way...

#136 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

Anyone know the best place to buy external hard drives? I haven't decided how big I want it but the usual places like best buy seem over priced...

Thanks.

NCIX in BC. Aim for about 5GB per dollar: that was Boxing Day, so prices are probably higher now, but they'll come down.

#137 Faytz

Faytz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

NCIX in BC. Aim for about 5GB per dollar: that was Boxing Day, so prices are probably higher now, but they'll come down.

Thanks for the quick reply, the one they have to 149.99 for 500gb seems ok, not sure if it's a good brand though, anyone have any preferences or suggestions for external hard drive brands?

#138 inconspikuous

inconspikuous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

hey, i'm looking for deals in toronto for the orange box (360), no more heroes, and zak and wiki...

i'm not sure if that's how i'm supposed 2 post this in this thread, but any help is appreciated. =)

#139 Median

Median

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:30 AM

Zack & Wiki is $30 at Futureshop right now and might still be $30 at EB, those are probably the best prices you'll get without finding it used. As far as The Orange Box and No More Heroes go that'll be much more difficult to find a deal on. I think the general suggestion would be to wait for a Rogers 2/30 or 2/40 to come back on but there's no word on when that'll happen.

#140 Winnopeg

Winnopeg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, the one they have to 149.99 for 500gb seems ok, not sure if it's a good brand though, anyone have any preferences or suggestions for external hard drive brands?

I tend to buy the cheapest one I can find, but the Western Digital MyBook series seems to be an excellent series of drives.

#141 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:42 AM

I have an 250GB Iomega external, and it works fine: it's quiet and while not super-fast (USB is much slower than FireWire) it gets the job done.

I think the Western Digitals have a 3-year warranty while other brands have 1, so that's a plus. It really depends on the hard drive inside: a no-name brand may have a Seagate inside. Unfortunately there's no way to tell what brand is inside without opening it up. I hear Seagate a lot, and WD as well. I believe it was Maxtor(?) which had tons of problems a few years back.

Of course, all the geeks on RFD will tell you to buy an internal drive and stick it in an enclosure: it's cheaper and you get the 5-year warranty of the drive.

#142 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, definitely go with the enclosure!

#143 Faytz

Faytz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, definitely go with the enclosure!

Ya it's a bit hard to do that with a laptop though.... I need an external hard drive so I can bring my data's on a long trip ._.

#144 LazyAaron

LazyAaron

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

I have a new question.

I have not received my five free bluray movies from the promotion that was offered until September 30, 2007. They claimed 6-8 weeks for shipping.

Has anyone else received/not received their movies? Is there any way I can follow up with the promotors on this?

Thanks,

Aaron.

#145 Jest

Jest

Take this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks.

Staples has a 500GB Maxtor 1Touch, a really good USB2.0 only drive for $120. Buy it online for free shipping.

#146 Faytz

Faytz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

Staples has a 500GB Maxtor 1Touch, a really good USB2.0 only drive for $120. Buy it online for free shipping.

Wow thanks for the heads up. It seems staples has the best prices for external hard drives :p I just ordered one so thanks for the help everyone.

#147 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Has anyone seen Guitar Hero III for the Wii in Vancouver? It seems to be even rarer than the Wii, and I refuse to pay $150 on craigslist.

#148 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

Dell has this 750GB ext. HDD for $179.99, today only. Free shipping. Use greatcanadianrebates.ca to get some money back.
http://www.redflagde...ad.php?t=553252

Also some drives from Costco:
http://www.redflagde...ad.php?t=546981

#149 ikariwarriors

ikariwarriors

Zang Zip, the War Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

I have a new question.

I have not received my five free bluray movies from the promotion that was offered until September 30, 2007. They claimed 6-8 weeks for shipping.

Has anyone else received/not received their movies? Is there any way I can follow up with the promotors on this?

Thanks,

Aaron.

my dad sent away for the same deal and still hasn't received his, either. i don't know if there's much else that can be done except wait, unless there's some contact info on the blraysavings.com site.

my guess is that it's still severely backed up from the glut of people who bought PS3's for the holidays, and likely will continue to be that way for a while.

#150 Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:25 AM

This might be out of nowhere but I'm looking to get a new TV....

I am not sure what contrasts ratio is. Meaning, I know what contrast is but which ratio is better... Higher:1 or lower:1. IE: is 1000:1 or 10000:1 better?

Also, I plan to use a Coax cable for my TV cable input and I heard a specific tuner is good.
What is an ATSC tuner compeaed to NTSC.

Any help would be great thanks.