Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

• Please log in to reply
2065 replies to this topic

#1981 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Does anyone know what happens if you purchase something with Rewardzone coupons and then return it for a refund?

#1982 onemorechanc

onemorechanc

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Anyone know where I can get a new wired 360 controller for $30? Best I can find is on Newegg.ca for $40 with free shipping. Seems like all the deals are for the wireless one, I want wired for playing PC games. The US gets such good prices, Amazon.com has them for $30 but I won't be making a trip to the states any time soon.

This is probably a knock-off, but it's only $20 and has free shipping:

http://www.dealextre...0cm-cable-51830

I have purchased from that site in the past with no problems.

#1983 Jamaal23

Jamaal23

Cereal killer.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

Does anyone know what happens if you purchase something with Rewardzone coupons and then return it for a refund?

I think I remember reading somewhere here (in this thread, maybe?) that they'd put the refund back on a gift card or something like that. Never tried it myself, so I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

#1984 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

This is probably a knock-off, but it's only $20 and has free shipping:

http://www.dealextre...0cm-cable-51830

I have purchased from that site in the past with no problems.

I've purchased there too, but the only reason I want a 360 pad is 100% guaranteed official compatibility with games so a knock off is not an option. I'm currently using a dualshock 3 with some emulation software and it works perfectly about 99% of the time but I'm thinking of just getting the official controller instead.

#1985 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

I think I remember reading somewhere here (in this thread, maybe?) that they'd put the refund back on a gift card or something like that. Never tried it myself, so I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

I thought I read that you got cash back but I was wondering if anyone can say for sure.

#1986 Cthulhu8u

Cthulhu8u

That Innsmouth look

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

I thought I read that you got cash back but I was wondering if anyone can say for sure.

I've had the money returned on a GC, but that was over a year ago. I haven't noticed any policy change to state differently.

Posted Image

#1987 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

Great customer service alert! I went to Best Buy down at Eaton Centre in Toronto. I was hoping to get them to price match their 360 console branded controller to Newegg.ca's PC branded controller which was $10 cheaper. Different product names, model numbers, boxes. Chances were slim but I gave it a shot. The cashier was sharp and immediately tried to figure out whether they were the same product, then she left for a couple minutes. Came back and said that usually they wouldn't do this cause technically they're two different products but she's going to price match it for me plus 10% of the diff. Then she made sure I was set up with their gamers club for 2x the rz points. Another thing is she wasn't familiar with Newegg and it wasn't on their competitor list in the system but she just entered it in manually.

Then I used $10 rewardzone and got the pad for $29 before tax, great deal.

#1988 Shinn23

Shinn23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

You were VERY lucky. Retailers are generally not suppose to match online retailers.

#1989 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

If the retailers have their own online store, then they should. I've PM'ed stuff at FS/BB from online prices before.

You were VERY lucky. Retailers are generally not suppose to match online retailers.

Posted Image

#1990 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Will they price match amazon.ca?

Newegg is not a retailer, they are an e-tailer. There should been no price match made. If Newegg has a retail B&M location anywhere in Canada a price match is fine. But in situation like this it, is still up to managers decision to match or not.

Posted Image

#1991 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

I've price matched amazon.ca in-store, but I guess I've only price-matched Newegg online. They were on the list of accepted retailers for an online price match so I didn't have any problem. I guess it could be YMMV in-store, but all you have to do for an online price match is place an order then call customer service to adjust it.

Will they price match amazon.ca?

Newegg is not a retailer, they are an e-tailer. There should been no price match made. If Newegg has a retail B&M location anywhere in Canada a price match is fine. But in situation like this it, is still up to managers decision to match or not.

Posted Image

#1992 ShoryukenII

ShoryukenII

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I went to FutureShop and bought a Playstation Vita last month. The worker told me to buy the accidental damage warranty for it but I didn't have enough money at the time. So I came back later and tried to buy it. I gave the lady $55 and she gave me 2 years of warranty.

I'm a little worried that she gave me the other warranty. I thought the accidental warranty was 1 year $50 or something. I can't understand anything on the receipt.

If I got the wrong warranty, would it be possible to get an exchange (for the accidental one)? Did I get the wrong warranty? :(

#1993 king_bronx

king_bronx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Is there somewhere I can buy Darksiders for PS3 for 10$?

#1994 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

I went to FutureShop and bought a Playstation Vita last month. The worker told me to buy the accidental damage warranty for it but I didn't have enough money at the time. So I came back later and tried to buy it. I gave the lady $55 and she gave me 2 years of warranty.

I'm a little worried that she gave me the other warranty. I thought the accidental warranty was 1 year $50 or something. I can't understand anything on the receipt.

If I got the wrong warranty, would it be possible to get an exchange (for the accidental one)? Did I get the wrong warranty? :(

I would go back to the store and ask, and say you asked for the one you wanted and if they gave you the wrong one you'd like to switch it.

#1995 VetraX

VetraX

In-game moralist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

I don't even...

#1996 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

I remember someone asking about Mario Nintendo DS holder while back. I saw 2 at Futureshop today will post a pic when I get chance.

It is available online Mario DS Holder and in-store.
Posted Image
https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Edited by retro.elite, 12 April 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#1997 king_bronx

king_bronx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

I remember someone asking about Mario Nintendo DS holder while back. I saw 2 at Futureshop today will post a pic when I get chance.

It is available online Mario DS Holder and in-store.
Posted Image
https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Haha that was me. Thanks for posting it. I'd found them at FS a while ago too, but I wasn't expecting to pay 40$ for something like that. Especially when they sell other Mario type toys for 15-20$. Thanks for posting the pics.

#1998 king_bronx

king_bronx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I actually have another question: Why would FS change the price of something from 39.99$ to 39.95$? I got an e-mail about my watch list regarding that price drop.

#1999 Knightattack

Knightattack

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

I don't really feel like this deserves a new thread (especially since this is my first post on here in a while (or ever, can't remember if I've posted before)), but I have a question for other Manitoban's who may see this:

I was at my local EB Games today, and traded in NHL 12, because I'm done with it. I put the credit towards a future game, but I did not receive the usually bump to $30. I then proceeded to notice that all the [PUMP UP THE TRADE] signs were removed from the store.

Did Winnipeg finally come to their senses and repeal that stupid law and we can now trade in multiple games towards one again?

#2000 pmp1986

pmp1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Anyone know where the best place to pick up an xbox live subscription card? My is due to run out soon and I have yet to pick up a new one.

#2001 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

If you're okay with paypal purchases or the like you can check the trading threads here, people frequently sell them anywhere from $38-45
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#2002 pmp1986

pmp1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

If you're okay with paypal purchases or the like you can check the trading threads here, people frequently sell them anywhere from $38-45

Thanks, Paypal works for me so I'll check that out.

#2003 ragnar14

ragnar14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

So Amazon has a $8 off discount code on Ghibli Blu-ray's because of Arrietty:
http://www.amazon.ca...=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

The discount is limited to one use per customer though, and I really wouldn't mind getting all 5 Blu's available now. Anyone know if you can signup 5 different accounts with the same mailing address and credit card, and not have any problems? I know you could back with the old Visa coupons, but that was ages ago.
Or is there anywhere else to get these Blu's for less than the $18-$22 range Amazon's doing?
Posted Image

#2004 ShoryukenII

ShoryukenII

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

If want to prepurchase Guild Wars 2 and get into the beta.

According to
http://www.bestbuy.c...bc5e86a80f9en02 it costs $60 which I find odd for a PC title. But I see that preordering saves me $10.

I would have gone to the store and prepurchased but $10 off sounds very nice. But the shipping would bring the cost back up so is it possible to have this discount and do an instore pick up?

The beta key is included in a prepurchase package that I would receive upon paying full price ahead of time. Would I get this in the instore pick up (before release) while saving $10? Sorry if this is confusing. It's ArenaNet's fault. :p

#2005 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

At Best Buy do they tax the full amount before you apply rewardzone certificates? Like say I'm buying this $200 item and have a $5 coupon they'll charge me the tax on $200 and then subtract the $5? I can't remember how it works, I usually spend them on untaxable PSN cards.

#2006 TronB

TronB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

I've only bought something with the RZ certificate once, but I believe they charged the tax first, and then applied the discount. When I bought DQIX for $19.99, I remember paying a little over $12 for it (used $10 off). That could only have happened if they applied the taxes first.
Posted Image

#2007 games4less

games4less

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

At Best Buy do they tax the full amount before you apply rewardzone certificates? Like say I'm buying this $200 item and have a $5 coupon they'll charge me the tax on $200 and then subtract the $5? I can't remember how it works, I usually spend them on untaxable PSN cards.

They deduct it after they calculate tax on the $200; the tricky thing is your purchase must be greater than the value of the certificate before tax to even use the certificate. I never ended up finding out how it is possible that BB only gives points based on pre-tax dollars but the provided certificates are cash-equivalent (after tax deductions) as I think that rewards-based programs usually work on a concurrent basis of earning and redeeming (i.e. if you earn points before tax then the amounts deducted are before tax as well - similar to a sale).

#2008 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Yeah that reminds me, once I made a thread here about being pissed that they charge me tax on the money I'm taking off with the coupon. I got nothin but grief, people telling me I'm an idiot. Good times.

A couple of times I wanted to redeem a $20 coupon on a $19.99 item, the clerk just offered me a 5 cent bag to make up the difference. Good thinking!

#2009 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Anyone know if PSN cards bought in the states will work for us in Canada? Pretty sure they do, but want to double check before I throw my money down.
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#2010 Icetron

Icetron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Are they on sale somewhere? I think they'd work though.