Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

• Please log in to reply
2065 replies to this topic

#2011 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Trading a few games for someone's codes. But if you're interested we can work out a deal once I get them.
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#2012 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

THEY DON'T. I ran into this exact problem very recently. If you're planning to use them on a Canadian account, I strongly advise against it.

Anyone know if PSN cards bought in the states will work for us in Canada? Pretty sure they do, but want to double check before I throw my money down.

Posted Image

#2013 maigoyume

maigoyume

The Lost Dreamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll cancel the trade.
Posted Image

It's cheap to ship to/from Canada. Please take a look at Magiic's Magiical Shipping Guide.
For info on Canadian Customs and Tax exemption check Here,
Here and Here
Currently Playing:
Spoiler

#2014 Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

This isn't entirely gaming related but does anyone in Toronto know if there is still the RCSS by St.Clair West?

#2015 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Anyone know if EB Games sells Steam gift cards here like they've started doing in the US?

#2016 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

I don't want to make a new thread for this. I ordered a belt buckle from Ubisoft Workshop and they are located in Montreal but charged me in US dollars. Then they charged me Ontario sales tax in US funds. This doesn't sound right to me, wtf. They should have charged me in Canadian funds. Now I'm paying a US exchange rate on my Canadian sales tax, so wrong.

#2017 Icetron

Icetron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Call them?

#2018 littleslayer15

littleslayer15

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy touch my katamari? It is the only vita game I want that I don't own.

#2019 ragnar14

ragnar14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:56 AM

Katamari is $29.99 at Bestbuy. You could wander into a local store and try and get them to honor the $10 off $30 coupon. YMMV, due to that penny...

Edit: Failing that, a Amazon.ca reseller has it for $25.09 shipped (should be no tax?) right now.
Posted Image

#2020 littleslayer15

littleslayer15

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Sweet thanks that helps a lot :)

#2021 collector42

collector42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

I don't want to make a new thread for this. I ordered a belt buckle from Ubisoft Workshop and they are located in Montreal but charged me in US dollars. Then they charged me Ontario sales tax in US funds. This doesn't sound right to me, wtf. They should have charged me in Canadian funds. Now I'm paying a US exchange rate on my Canadian sales tax, so wrong.

Voip.ms does this too. Charges in US and adds GST. I feel your pain/confusion.

#2022 Cthulhu8u

Cthulhu8u

That Innsmouth look

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Anyone know if PSN cards bought in the states will work for us in Canada? Pretty sure they do, but want to double check before I throw my money down.

THEY DON'T. I ran into this exact problem very recently. If you're planning to use them on a Canadian account, I strongly advise against it.

If you are still interested in the card, the workaround is to make an American PSN account on the same system you plan to play the games on. Any games you download to that system will be playable by any account on that system.

Posted Image

#2023 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

If you are still interested in the card, the workaround is to make an American PSN account on the same system you plan to play the games on. Any games you download to that system will be playable by any account on that system.

I think there are a few games that are locked to the PSN account it was purchased on, but it's pretty rare. Hmm, apparently they updated Warhawk and unlocked it. I can't think of any other games that were locked.

#2024 Average Box

Average Box

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

I got a question, my friend recently got me a game as a gift but got it for the wrong system. It's still unopened and he said he got it at best buy. Do you think I would be able to go their and exchange it for the same game but for another system. He said he lost the receipt and he payed with cash so he can't show a statement with the proof of purchase.

#2025 gamer602

gamer602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Very likely if just a platform swap.
50/50 if for store credit
No way for cash

#2026 Mr.

Mr.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Not without a receipt. You might have better luck at Walmart... just pick a really busy day so the people at the customer service counter is too exhausted to care.

#2027 Lockescythe

Lockescythe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Your other option is just going to a local gaming shop and asking for a swap.

#2028 irishcthulhu

irishcthulhu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

I got a question, my friend recently got me a game as a gift but got it for the wrong system. It's still unopened and he said he got it at best buy. Do you think I would be able to go their and exchange it for the same game but for another system. He said he lost the receipt and he payed with cash so he can't show a statement with the proof of purchase.

If a reward zone card was used they often can look up the purchase that way.

Had to do that once when I lost my receipt and had to price match as they had dropped the price.
Of course this is YMMV sort of thing, as you'll be at the mercy of the knowledge and willingness of the clerk you deal with.

#2029 Average Box

Average Box

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Very likely if just a platform swap.
50/50 if for store credit
No way for cash

Well all i wanted to do was a platform swap so that's why i thought it wouldn't be to much of a hassle.

Not without a receipt. You might have better luck at Walmart... just pick a really busy day so the people at the customer service counter is too exhausted to care.

I know wal-mart would do it but I don't even think wal-mart has the game with the soundtrack.

Your other option is just going to a local gaming shop and asking for a swap.

I'll try that as well if the best buy thing doesn't work out.

If a reward zone card was used they often can look up the purchase that way.

Had to do that once when I lost my receipt and had to price match as they had dropped the price.
Of course this is YMMV sort of thing, as you'll be at the mercy of the knowledge and willingness of the clerk you deal with.

Unfortunately he doesn't have one, so one was never used.
Well i'll try anyways. Worst case scenario is they say no.

#2030 collector42

collector42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:20 AM

This story just screams bullshit.

So you--err--your friend, buys you a game for a system you don't own (you guys talk much?), pays cash and immediately tosses the receipt. 'Cause, you know--he's so sure you actually own the system in question he can toss that receipt. Though I suppose it would suck to open it and find the disc snapped in half...

You don't list what game it was either.

So I can only assume "your friend" bought a clearance game that either the store didn't have any more of for the system you own, or more likely the one you bought was discounted, and the version for the system you own was not.

Please don't abuse the return policies of corporations with bullshit like this--I beg of you.

We used to be able to buy electronics at Costco, and if my receiver died 6 years later they'd refund me! But no, people decided to start buying TVs for the sole purpose of "yearly upgrades". Never pay a penny more and just upgrade your TV! Hell, buy a projector and burn the bulb out--return it and get a new one!

Costco had some guy return a PS2--TWO--get his money back and apply it to a PS3 claiming he was no longer satisfied with it.

So when you invent stories to format swap software with no receipt, eventually companies turf their return policies. Walmart makes lots of money blah blah blah--I'm aware--but your actions hurt other consumers--and yourself--it just takes time...

If you'd claimed your clueless grandmother bought you the game I'd be more inclined to believe you--but your friend doesn't know what system you have and goes out and buys you games? A game you won't name because we'll recognize it as a recent system-specific clearance sale? Come on.

(Feel free to take some time to flesh out your story--find a game that's the same price on both systems and claim its the game he gave you etc. etc.)

/grabs popcorn

#2031 ragnar14

ragnar14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

I assumed it was this:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=326379
Posted Image

#2032 Average Box

Average Box

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

This story just screams bullshit.

So you--err--your friend, buys you a game for a system you don't own (you guys talk much?), pays cash and immediately tosses the receipt. 'Cause, you know--he's so sure you actually own the system in question he can toss that receipt. Though I suppose it would suck to open it and find the disc snapped in half...

So I can only assume "your friend" bought a clearance game that either the store didn't have any more of for the system you own, or more likely the one you bought was discounted, and the version for the system you own was not.

Please don't abuse the return policies of corporations with bullshit like this--I beg of you.

We used to be able to buy electronics at Costco, and if my receiver died 6 years later they'd refund me! But no, people decided to start buying TVs for the sole purpose of "yearly upgrades". Never pay a penny more and just upgrade your TV! Hell, buy a projector and burn the bulb out--return it and get a new one!

Costco had some guy return a PS2--TWO--get his money back and apply it to a PS3 claiming he was no longer satisfied with it.

So when you invent stories to format swap software with no receipt, eventually companies turf their return policies. Walmart makes lots of money blah blah blah--I'm aware--but your actions hurt other consumers--and yourself--it just takes time...

If you'd claimed your clueless grandmother bought you the game I'd be more inclined to believe you--but your friend doesn't know what system you have and goes out and buys you games? A game you won't name because we'll recognize it as a recent system-specific clearance sale? Come on.

(Feel free to take some time to flesh out your story--find a game that's the same price on both systems and claim its the game he gave you etc. etc.)

/grabs popcorn

Jeez getting pretty harsh don't you think. It's actually a recent game Persona 4 Arena. I have both xbox 360 and Ps3 he knows that. He just assumed i'd want it for Xbox 360 as I am on it quite often. But i prefer my fighting games on ps3 as I've always played them on that.

I don't know why you have to be so rude in the first place. It isn't like I'm asking for such a big thing from a store. I just want a system swap FOR THE SAME GAME (SAME VALUE)!
Like the game just game out a couple days ago. Plus I never said he threw the receipt away, he lost it. People lose things all the time.

I had asked him right away if we could get it swapped for the PS3 copy anyways but since Persona 4 arena is licensed by Atlus they are known for not having such a high demand in turn there isn't many copies. The best buy in his area only had xbox 360 copies left when he went back to see what he could do for me. That's why I came here to ask if I could try my best buy.

I don't care if they say no it isn't like it is the end of the world, worst case scenario is I can try to trade it online, or sell it to re-buy it for ps3 on ebay or any place that still has it available.

And the link ragnar posted to the trading part of the forums is the game i'm trying to system swap.

#2033 Average Box

Average Box

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

I assumed it was this:
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=326379

Yes it is. So as the other guy said thinking it was a clearance game well it wasn't. It just came out a couple days ago.

#2034 collector42

collector42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Jeez getting pretty harsh don't you think. It's actually a recent game Persona 4 Arena. I have both xbox 360 and Ps3 he knows that. He just assumed i'd want it for Xbox 360 as I am on it quite often. But i prefer my fighting games on ps3 as I've always played them on that.

I don't know why you have to be so rude in the first place. It isn't like I'm asking for such a big thing from a store. I just want a system swap FOR THE SAME GAME (SAME VALUE)!
Like the game just game out a couple days ago. Plus I never said he threw the receipt away, he lost it. People lose things all the time.

I had asked him right away if we could get it swapped for the PS3 copy anyways but since Persona 4 arena is licensed by Atlus they are known for not having such a high demand in turn there isn't many copies. The best buy in his area only had xbox 360 copies left when he went back to see what he could do for me. That's why I came here to ask if I could try my best buy.

I don't care if they say no it isn't like it is the end of the world, worst case scenario is I can try to trade it online, or sell it to re-buy it for ps3 on ebay or any place that still has it available.

And the link ragnar posted to the trading part of the forums is the game i'm trying to system swap.

Fair enough. I took "Got it for the wrong system" in the wrong context, not realizing wrong system meant a preference--not that you didn't own that system.

I called it wrong. Sorry to come down on you like a bag of hammers. Was previously reading RFD before swinging by CAG. Must have brought some of that rage over here.

Apologies.

#2035 Average Box

Average Box

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Fair enough. I took "Got it for the wrong system" in the wrong context, not realizing wrong system meant a preference--not that you didn't own that system.

I called it wrong. Sorry to come down on you like a bag of hammers. Was previously reading RFD before swinging by CAG. Must have brought some of that rage over here.

Apologies.

Don't worry about it. It's partially my fault for not explaining completely.

#2036 Icetron

Icetron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

Does EB/GS never do those trade 2/3 and get it free things anymore? Haven't seen one in forever.

#2037 TronB

TronB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

If I preorder a game instore at Best Buy, do I get the extra 800 Reward Zone bonus points? Pokemon Black 2 has it listed online, but I've never preordered in an actual BB before.
Posted Image

#2038 gill2k

gill2k

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yes you do! And from my experience you get the 800 pts. as soon as you pick up the game on release day. Online you have to wait.
Posted Image

#2039 PapaLau

PapaLau

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

You actually don't get the points applied towards a gift cert until 36 days after purchase, they go into pending status until then. I guess to prevent people from just returning product and claiming points.

Side note, I have had to email them about missing points a couple times from preorders, but it's been pretty easy to get them added.

#2040 TronB

TronB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Ok, good to know, thanks!
Posted Image