Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

If there was a demo on Japan PSN, the number of Japanese accounts would probably triple and the the servers would be jammed. Just thinking about a demo has me excited.

[quote name='Thomas96']
the screens look nice... are both games exclusive to PS3?[/QUOTE]I have several links and Tetsuya Nomura confirming over and over again these are PS3 exclusive, utilizing the PS3 and blu-ray to the fullest.

Characters look great. :D

Saying this makes me kind of sad, but FF13 is the first Final Fantasy I haven't been able to get excited about whatsoever. It's probably just because of the first preview they showed for it, which was absurd. I'm eagerly awaiting some footage of the actual gameplay so I know what to think.

The most interesting thing to me is the little FF6 along all the Versus 13 shots (last screen in the first link). I wonder if Versus 13 incorporates some idea from FF6, or if the magazine was just doing a little retrospective.

[quote name='TFN']No Thomas, Square is putting them out on 360 as well.

...:D

Anyways, that shit looks $$$.[/QUOTE]

I thought that versus might not be exclusive.. funny I'm the one asking about exclusivity.

I freakin' love the style of FXIII, but I can't get all that excited when I have no idea when it's actually going to be released.

I'm mostly excited because this is in the hands of the first production team again, and not another team (which made FFXII, Tactics, etc. and it kind of disappointed me, while I always liked the first production team). I might import this also if the NA release will take a while.

[quote name='pete5883']So does that mean the FFX team? Who was in charge of them?[/QUOTE]For the most part, yes (Kitase is heading the FFXIII project), while mostly Kingdom Hearts people are in charge of versus XIII.

These scans look fantastic. It'd be nice to see something of the Versus battle system, but I guess we can imagine it could play similar to a KH title? Glad to see the slight tweaking to some of the summons too. Carbuncle looks cute and (from what I can see) Siren looks good (looks like she's playing a harp?).

Did they ever announce the other Fabula Nova Crystallis games? I know it was these two and a cell phone game, but I thought two more predicted back when...

Jeez, how much crap does that guy need on his sword??? (2nd scan in Versus Scans)

Btw, I wish they would make some of the guys look more...manly.

Here's more info:
The theme for Final Fantasy XIII is determination, says a new interview in a recent Famitsu. Looking at the long, painful wait that Square Enix fans are enduring for the release of this hotly anticipated title, we can agree.

Nomura has been releasing a few cryptic keys on the upcoming PS3 games, many of which are sure to keep the Square Enix faithful guessing for days. According to FF-XIII.net, "2008 will be the year. There will be tons of news bits, info on characters and summons, and an unexpected connection between the keywords Cocoon and Farushi."

Thankfully, a playable demo continues to be teased by the development staff, eager to show how the new battle system plays. When asked about the release date, Nomura can only offer the vague: "I wonder when we'll be able to sleep..." If that is a clue, we're guessing it has something to do with Birth by Sleep. Of course, we could be totally off-base with that one. Check FF-XIII.net for more new scans. [Update: Better scans here.]
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/23/demo-promised-for-final-fantasy-xiii/

Like I said earlier, I definitely hope the demo comes.

Demo Packed In with White Knight Chronicle?

BELIEVE.

Im glad that Nomura can finally do character designs without a massive amount of zippers and chains again.

[quote name='InuFaye']Demo Packed In with White Knight Chronicle?

BELIEVE.[/quote]

Is White Knight even Square Enix? I think Level-5 only works with them for Dragon Quest.

White Knight is Sony Japan.

That would move so many ps3s in japan.

I also hope this is better then the last outing from square.

[quote name='InuFaye']White Knight is Sony Japan.

That would move so many ps3s in japan.

I also hope this is better then the last outing from square.[/QUOTE]What last outing?? SCEJ is publishing White Knight Story for Japan, so I doubt Square Enix would be bundling their game within it (although they have worked with Level 5). I heard it was the Last Remnant getting the game. IMO, bundling the demo in the PS3 version would hurt the 360 version. Square does this often so it would not shock me, but I want a PSN demo, even if it takes up 5GB.

FF12 would be the last Final Fantasy outing.

That is I remember how to count.

I think 12 comes before 13.

[quote name='InuFaye']FF12 would be the last Final Fantasy outing.

That is I remember how to count.

I think 12 comes before 13.[/QUOTE]

6lta042mq7.gif

Square Enix hasn't been scoring any new PlayStation fans with their recent announcements regarding Star Ocean or The Last Remnant; however, they may try to even things out by getting Final Fantasy XIII out to the fans a bit sooner than expected.

In the latest Famitsu an interview was conducted with Tetsuya Nomura regarding both upcoming Final Fantasy titles. Nomura let it be known that Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be placed on hold until the team finishes up Final Fantasy XIII. The reason given for this decision was that the majority of the Versus XIII development crew is now working full force on XIII's development.

On top of this announcement, Nomura also revealed that at their private invite-only event come August, both Versus XIII and XIII will only be displaying trailers and not playable demos. While this may not sound too positive for those of us waiting for an official release date to be announced, we can assume that this may push production forward a tad with the extra developer support.
http://www.psu.com/FF-Versus-XIII-placed-on-hold-News--a0004007-p0.php

At first I was disappointed when reading the title, but now I see they just shifted development to FFXIII mostly, which makes sense. IMO, Square Enix should have just drew up concepts for FF Versus XIII, while putting full development into FFXIII, and then when FFXIII is finished, move to Versus XIII, but oh well. Overall, I'm glad they are pushing FFXIII into full force development, so hopefully we'll see it next year.

Developing two big budget, large scale games like 13 and V13 was madness.

One good reason why it wouldn't be playable is that it's a lot easier on the dev team to provide a video than it is for the entire dev team to have to hold production just to work on a demo to put out. They'd have to put in a lot of effort polishing up an incomplete version that will just be scrapped after it's shown.

[quote name='nyprimus4']When should we expect FF13?[/QUOTE]I'm guessing July 2009 for Japan, although most FF games come out in March.

No release has been given, everything is speculation.

It's too bad Versus XIII was put on hold, since it's the one I'm actually looking forward to.

I wonder what kind of budget this game is going to have now that Square Enix has 2 teams working on it. If it doesn't set the world record for biggest budget for a game I bet it will come close.

Man, I think I've played every main FF game released (less III & IX), so I'm pretty pumped up to play XIII... and this game looks like it's MADE of win. I want it soooo bad. :drool:

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's too bad Versus XIII was put on hold, since it's the one I'm actually looking forward to.

I wonder what kind of budget this game is going to have now that Square Enix has 2 teams working on it. If it doesn't set the world record for biggest budget for a game I bet it will come close.[/QUOTE]It's probably around MGS4 level I'm guessing. Well, even with two teams make FFXIII, that isn't really that big of a difference compared to staff who worked on previous FF games. I just know that the first production team use to only do a maximum of two projects at once, now they are doing four (and haven't really expanded). If anything, they are just doing what they use to do, concentrate on fewer games (which they need to stick to).

Like I said before, I wish they pushed more development into FFXIII earlier, then worked on FF Versus XIII (releasing it two or so years later).

I looked all over CAG and couldn't find anywhere else someone posted this, so I'm dragging out this old thread. The only FF game I've ever played is Crisis Core for PSP, and I think this trailer looks AMAZING.

For best quality, just go straight to the official site.
So without further ado, new trailer released today:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_5JJY6lT8[/media]

http://na.square-enix.com/ff13/

I'm kinda hoping Squeenix pulls a fast one and includes English text and subtitles on the Japanese version, making it easy to import for people who don't mind subtitles and hearing other languages.

This one game is making the whole generation for me. Aside from wanting to wait until I've finished more of my last-gen backlog, there just hasn't been any PS3 or 360 game that's just completely clicked for me and made me think, I need this game right now. FFXIII will sell me a PS3 though. In fact, I'm hoping for a special edition Final Fantasy console bundle like the ones they did for MGS4.

So yeah, I'm pretty hyped. It better not suck. :)

Looks awesome. I don't know everything about the battle system, but from the looks of it, can you run and block during a battle? I'll probably just go with the PS3 version. Hopefully something cool is added to the PS3 version to make it a better value.

[quote name='Hiei69']Looks awesome. I don't know everything about the battle system, but from the looks of it, can you run and block during a battle? I'll probably just go with the PS3 version. Hopefully something cool is added to the PS3 version to make it a better value.[/quote]
If Sony has half a brain, any chance of an exclusive they should grab, MS has been doing it with a lot of high profile games, so I can't see why Sony wouldn't do it with this game.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']If Sony has half a brain, any chance of an exclusive they should grab, MS has been doing it with a lot of high profile games, so I can't see why Sony wouldn't do it with this game.[/quote]

It usually comes down to who has deeper pockets.

Mana, you will elongate the name Final Fantasy

"Final Fantasy XIII/Versus" etc.

BTW, trailer is up on PS Store.

bread's done
Back