Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

• Please log in to reply
1935 replies to this topic

#1921 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:16 AM

The one part you enjoyed is the one part that's universally considered as hilariously corny, lol.

I'd drop it now if you aren't enjoying it. The story is quite good and the battles do get more intense as what naturally occurs in FFs, but if you play for another hour and nothing is hooking you then I'd save yourself the time. Most people who keep going after initially disliking it find a few spots of enjoyment but overall regret playing.

UjCoyFa.png

#1922 Cerebral_One

Cerebral_One

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

Why is it universally considered corny? It was the only part where I could feel anything for the characters. The rest was I am Hero, We are Heroes!

#1923 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:25 AM

"Moms are tough!"

But seriously, the game is full of pretty emotional moments that are quite good, so maybe you'll get into it. Dialogue is corny but you know, whatever.

Snow's hero talk is hilarious, just take it in stride.

UjCoyFa.png

#1924 Cerebral_One

Cerebral_One

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

Ya that part was corny as hell haha.

#1925 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I've played the first 30 minutes, I find the dialogue cringe worthy and the voice acting not so great. I liked the emotional part when the mother died. The game play is okay so far. Does the story and game play get much better later on? I ask because so far I'm not enjoying it that much.

Gameplay gets much better. First couple hours are a waste of time, you could honestly walk past most of the enemies and it wouldn't make a difference.

Story.... eh, it stays about the same. At some point it stops doing the flashbacks, which were annoying.

#1926 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

Anyone pick this up for $15 during Black Friday or $10 during the recent GameStop sale? I'm a little late to the party. Ended up getting this at launch for the Xbox 360, played for a few hours and never got around to finishing it.

I traded in my Xbox 360 copy to Amazon and ended up getting the PS3 version since I just picked up a PS3 a few weeks back. I'm not sure why this game gets so much crap. It feels like Final Fantasy X (my favorite FF game of all time) and I know a lot of others enjoyed FFX as well. Granted there are no towns (I'm 6 hours in) and it is one giant corridor, but towns and dungeons in previous FF games just "masked" what was actually a linear game. You couldn't progress the story unless you went to the next town or dungeon that the game dictated to you.

I'm guessing the corridors were a design choice since they couldn't render entire towns with all that detail like Skyrim, it would be a waste of time for a linear game.

#1927 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:53 AM

Towns were relegated to the Internet in FFXIII. And yeah, they should've said the game was similar to X in terms of design, but no, they didn't.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1928 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

After almost 3 years of on and off playing, 53 (official) gaming hours, countless deaths, several breaks from the game, and 1 completely confusing story, I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII. All I can say is thank God.

#1929 io

io

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

After almost 3 years of on and off playing, 53 (official) gaming hours, countless deaths, several breaks from the game, and 1 completely confusing story, I finally finished Final Fantasy XIII. All I can say is thank God.

And in contrast, I played it, beat it, and got a platinum in it (loved the openness of the end-game/post-game part) all in the first month it was out ;).

#1930 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

The electronics of your heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

And in contrast, I played it, beat it, and got a platinum in it (loved the openness of the end-game/post-game part) all in the first month it was out ;).

1000/1000 in May of 2010, beat the story on PS3 and planning to get the Platinum someday. :)

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1931 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

I think my first play through would have been a lot more fun if I properly utilized the Saboteur and Synergist roles. It wasn't until the last few bosses that I realized how badass you can make your team with just a few properly placed buffs and debuffs.

The final boss took me under 4 minutes to take down. By the end, all you saw was a sea of red debuffs on the boss and a sea of green buffs on my party. Makes me wonder if I could've bypassed all that needless power leveling that I did in the game.

#1932 ZerotypeX

ZerotypeX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I only have 2 more achievements left in the game, but most likely will never 1000 this game. Just don't have the patience to kill adamanites(sp?) just so they can drop an item that has a 5% chance of appearing to make ultimate weapons.

It wasn't a bad FF, but most definitely not my favorite. Way linear than it needed to be.
Currently Playing:
with myself

Posted Image

#1933 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

I've beaten FFXIII 3 times now with wildly different parties. Had a blast with each playthrough, and really began to realize how many incredible segments this game goes through. Lake Bresha, palompolum, the air fortress, the ark, Oerba, and Eden are probably my favorites parts of the game. The sheer variety and scale of them all is really admirable. Game isn't perfect, but it's certainly special.

And I think people who were introduced to FF on this game will be coming out of the wood work in a few years (many already have). I think they'll have a greater appreciation for what this game did right, and a proper understanding of what it got wrong (some terrible enemy placements early on, for example). Same thing happened with XII, which now has a pretty strong following after being considered an abomination at release.

Hell, even X-2 is widely agreed upon to be pretty decent nowadays. Everyone seems to go through a temporary shock of hate with FF releases.

UjCoyFa.png

#1934 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

I only have 2 more achievements left in the game, but most likely will never 1000 this game. Just don't have the patience to kill adamanites(sp?) just so they can drop an item that has a 5% chance of appearing to make ultimate weapons.

It wasn't a bad FF, but most definitely not my favorite. Way linear than it needed to be.

Grinding those turtles wasn't that bad for me. I needed to grind money anyways so it took me maybe 6-8 hours for my first 3 traps and 2 hours for my last 3 of with save scumming, which left me with plenty of money for the All Items trophy and plat'd the game. Pretty sure I bought all the Dark Matter I needed too except for a couple.

I agree that it's linear as hell, but fun as hell too. It's my first FF and I'm planning on starting X-2 soon. I'm still not sure what to think about the new one with Lightning though.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#1935 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

My condolences that you had to suffer through that.

#1936 Lokki

Lokki

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

Even though it was linear, I enjoyed it back when it came out. I didn't have the desire to go for the platinum trophy though. I bought XIII-2 when it came out and it is still in the plastic. :( Though I think I may finally get started on it now that I beat Ni No Kuni. It helped pull me back away from WoW, so now I should be able to put a dent in my backlog.

I think my first play through would have been a lot more fun if I properly utilized the Saboteur and Synergist roles. It wasn't until the last few bosses that I realized how badass you can make your team with just a few properly placed buffs and debuffs.

YES! When I figured that out, I had some awesome Paradigm setups where I would swap to it and debuff the boss and buff my party. I really enjoyed constantly shifting to min max my dps/heals/debuff/buff .
Posted Image