Photo
- - - - -

Why is it so hard finding gamecube titles at stores?

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Roper

Mr. Roper

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Don't they realize the wii plays gamecube games and there are hundreds of thousands of people who want to play them that never owned a cube.
King of Fighters 98 and Samurai Shodown 2 are eating up most of my free time right now! Ahhh the Neo, will they ever make games for a console for 16 years again?

#2 Alphant

Alphant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

Publishers stopped publishing a lot of their GC games.

#3 The Green Giant

The Green Giant

Supreme Overlord of the Multiverse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

Should have bought a GameCube. :)

New Leaf and MK 7 Peeps...

3DS FC: 4742-6334-0289

#4 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:05 AM

True, I have been trying to find a few with no luck (and have a couple of hard-to-find titles I picked up when I had the chance). We need a GC trading thread. :)

#5 mcelfour

mcelfour

Level 10 Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:40 AM

I wish they'd take advantage of the fact that Wii is BC. Why not release GC/Wii hybrid games...if it's in a Wii, take advantage of the Wiimote and some extra horsepower...if it's in a GC...well fine, it still plays. They must be able to tell what system a disc is in, and excecute code based on it. Why must we always leave old systems to gather dust the moment a new system is even devised? WHY?!?

[Sorry, got a bit carried away...I'm tired.]

#6 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:35 AM

I think that if there weren't so many shovelware games that we may have seen some GC re-releases to fill the void, but that isn't really necessary with the shelves full of games. And Nintendo is planning to make "new" games of some GC games with motion controls. I personally can't wait for Mario Baseball and Mario Tennis, but I will just play my GC versions of the rest.

#7 Quintessence

Quintessence

The Darkness Consumes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

If you really want some GameCube titles then online is probably the only way you can really do it.

:bouncy: Free Cash and Prizes :bouncy:

Sign-up: PrizeRebel

100% free and quick to earn.

#8 The Green Giant

The Green Giant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

The only game that really drives me crazy is Mario Tennis. I was waiting for a sale and boom, disappeared off the face of the Earth. So I bought Mario Tennis GBA and it sucks.

#9 webcaster68

webcaster68

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

I have had some good luck at gamestops but there still isn't much to choose from

#10 xtchuh

xtchuh

Shake n' Bake!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

Goozex is the place to get Gamecube titles.

#11 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

My GS's each have at least 200 Gamecube games in the bins and shelves. Must not be selling around me.

#12 TimPV3

TimPV3

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

What's really bullshit is my PS3 plays PSOne games, and my GBA plays GB and GBC games. WTF Sony and Nintendo? Meanies.

#13 BIG5

BIG5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Why must we always leave old systems to gather dust the moment a new system is even devised? WHY?!?

We don't. PS2 is still outselling PS3, isn't it?
Posted Image

#14 magiic

magiic

DENNY CRANE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

Futureshop ( a major retailer in Canada owned by Best Buy) has totally discontiuned selling gamecube games.
My eBay Feedback
Check out my CAG Trade List
Check out my auctions
Posted Image
Join GOOZEX a great site for trading your games
Join GameTraderWorld another great site for trading games. (They give away a FREE game every month)
Join ChaseTheChuckWagon (a great alternative to auctioning games on eBay)

#15 io

io

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

I'm sure it's not too hard to find used GC games, but it sure is difficult to find new ones. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but a lot of the AAA GC titles were getting a premium on eBay before Christmas. Super Mario Sunshine was selling for $40+, Animal Crossing for $30+, and even stuff like Star Fox Assault sold for a premium. Oh yeah, Mario Party 7 was going for $65+! And the thing is, there really weren't that many available at any given time. That is still the case, though the prices have come down somewhat with this being after Christmas (e.g., MP7 is just selling for $55 or so now).

They are rare (new, anyway) and people DO want them. I'm assuming that there is renewed interest in them because of the Wii - or maybe just simply people with Gamecubes catching up (there are a lot of GCs out there, after all).

I'm really surprised Nintendo isn't reprinting many of these titles - seems like easy money to me. They really should reprint things like SMS, AC, etc, and make Wavebirds again and market them as "Gamecube Classics" for play on the Wii. Heck, they could make a "Gamecube Classic" bundle for the Wii (a couple games, a Wavebird, and a memory card).

#16 mcelfour

mcelfour

Level 10 Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

I never owned a GC, but traded for and jumped on deals for games before the Wii. I actually just made a deal for a GC for my bedroom.

I share frustration on the GC game front though. I have nearly everything I'll want for it, but a few of the last set of games (IE: Fire Emblem) seem pretty hard to find, and are way too expensive used right now. Thank goodness I got Chibi Robo when I did!

Also: What is with the impossibility of finding wavebirds! You'd think that Nintendo would realize how many people want these with Brawl comming up! Not to mention VC titles. I suppose the Classic Controller is their solution :\

#17 The Green Giant

The Green Giant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Nintendo stopped making Wavebirds which has to be one of the dumbest things they have done recently. They should have still made them until this Christmas even if they rose the price to $40-$50 people would still buy them.

#18 tsmvengy

tsmvengy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

How good is Chibi-Robo? I've been thinking about trying to pick it up. Also, I've been looking for Mario Tennis but it's hard to find.
Currently Playing:
:wii: Trauma Center: Second Opinion
:gc: Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
:gba: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

#19 The Green Giant

The Green Giant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Chibi Robo is great! I got it for $10 new and it's wonderful and crazy.

#20 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

most store selection is basiclly smash brothers, mario kart, and twilight princess.

#21 io

io

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

most store selection is basiclly smash brothers, mario kart, and twilight princess.

Yep, that's pretty much what my Target has - with a few others like Ratatouille thrown in perhaps. It seems they've kept up the supply of SSBM and MKDD for some reason, but have run low on SMS, Zelda Wind Waker, and many others. I haven't seen a Wind Waker in a while. (Checking ebay - yep, about $30 for new copies of that).

#22 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

How good is Chibi-Robo? I've been thinking about trying to pick it up. Also, I've been looking for Mario Tennis but it's hard to find.

Chibi-Robo! is great. I rented it, and I wish I bought it while I had the chance. Really innovative fun.

sig.gif

#23 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

I think they don't want the Gamecube competing with the Wii. The backward compatibility of the Wii is there just as incentive for people to buy a Wii - compatibility with games they already have, not ones they are going to buy later. They don't want to sell you GC games, they want to sell you Wii games. Every GC game sold to a Wii user is one less Wii title sold (or at least less Wii titles sold). They want the Wii software sales to be high.

Crunchewy.png

#24 Mr. Roper

Mr. Roper

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

I want to get both Pikmin games the most. They don't go for over 20 bucks do they?
King of Fighters 98 and Samurai Shodown 2 are eating up most of my free time right now! Ahhh the Neo, will they ever make games for a console for 16 years again?

#25 The Green Giant

The Green Giant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

Pimin 1 sucks, I really hate it. However Pikmin 2 (I haven't played it) fixed some issues including the time.

#26 io

io

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:14 AM

I want to get both Pikmin games the most. They don't go for over 20 bucks do they?

You don't want to know...

Spoiler

But hopefully there will be a Wii version coming sooner or later.

#27 mosey73

mosey73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

pikmin 1 and two are great games they are basically the same game .GRREATT FUN.
yep!

#28 VAD3R or Fro

VAD3R or Fro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

Is it still easy to find Legend of Zelda Wind Waker?

#29 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

gamecube stuff will only get harder to find over time. the few gc owners who switched to wii kept alot of their games due to bc and lack of wii titles. and most store s started liquidating gc stuff pretty early on because of lackluster sales of some titles.

add to that that even nintendo is pretty much kicking the console and the games to the curb( probably so they can sell them as downloadable content later) and yeah some stuff is pretty hard to find. i got lucky finding complete games online at gamestop and even luckier buying stuff from people on cag.

id suggest looking through the cag trading post people will try to screw you for the mario titles ( sports ones mainly) and the zelda special edition titles but most of the good stuff you can find cheap enough. metroid goes pretty cheap online and here.the only game im kinda looking for is mario tennis and maybe mario golf. the rouge squadron games and jedi knight 2 can be hard to get as well.

#30 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

You don't want to know...

Spoiler

But hopefully there will be a Wii version coming sooner or later.

i cant believe those are going for so much. they are great games but shit man thats alot.