Photo
- - - - -

Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

• Please log in to reply
655 replies to this topic

#1 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

This thread has served its purpose. I have had a PS2 since black Friday 2008. Now use it to recommend games and say what games you have been playing on PS2.
Old thread:
Spoiler

Edited by Doomed, 04 July 2009 - 09:11 PM.

sig.gif

#2 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

Kinda hard to put a portable against a home console, ya know?

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is a serious gamer not recommend a PS2. There's simply too many good games on it to pass up.

Same could be said for the DS, but it all depends on what you enjoy the most.

I'd say to go for the PS2 unless you loved the DS games you've played so much that you can't live without it.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#3 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

I'd say to go for the PS2 unless you loved the DS games you've played so much that you can't live without it.

^ Do that. The DS is great, but if you can live without it, go for a PS2. It has too many great games to miss.

Posted Image

#4 evyrew

evyrew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

I bought a Ps2 a while back after my xbox 1 died, and it has been awesome. Most games can be found for under $20 (i've picked up a few for $5 off of ebay). A few of the newer or more obscure titles cost more than that, but yep, the ps2 has one of the greatest back catalogs in gaming history.

Racketboy's cheap list is pretty good.
here's another list http://ps2.ign.com/a...2/772296p1.html

My favorites so far:

Bully
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Gear Solid Series
Devil May Cry 3
Ratchet and Clank Series
God of War

#5 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Okay, I never really thought about it before, but DAMN the PS2 has a lot of good games. The GC had a few but a bunch of them are out of print/expensive. PS2 I should be able to get at least 5-7 good games for a mere $50, and if I abuse deals and whatnot, more than that. Why the hell did I not see this sooner? :dunce:

PS2 slim has a build in Ethernet port for online, right? Are there any good online games on PS2, or is the only good online expirenince with XBOX Live?

To top it off, not picking up a DS should be better later because it, like the PS2, is selling like hotcakes so a lot of games should be cheaper in the long run.

sig.gif

#6 omgu8myrice

omgu8myrice

Thats how we do it India!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

wow..just get a 360
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/omgu8myrice"]Posted Image[/URL]

#7 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

wow..just get a 360

360 is ~$300 for the bastardized version or ~$400 for one that sucks much less. Personally I'm waiting for a few more drops and a more reliable console. Also the reason I'm drawn to PS2 is the sheer library of great games. Granted 360 might be there in a few years, but at the moment I can't get a bunch of really good 360 game for less than $10. (actually, I haven't looked that much, but unless we're talking about old Maddens I don't think I know of a 360 game that cheap)

sig.gif

#8 omgu8myrice

omgu8myrice

Thats how we do it India!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

360 is ~$300 for the bastardized version or ~$400 for one that sucks much less. Personally I'm waiting for a few more drops and a more reliable console. Also the reason I'm drawn to PS2 is the sheer library of great games. Granted 360 might be there in a few years, but at the moment I can't get a bunch of really good 360 game for less than $10. (actually, I haven't looked that much, but unless we're talking about old Maddens I don't think I know of a 360 game that cheap)

if i were you, id just save money till you can afford a 360. my ps2 went obselete once i got a 360.
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/omgu8myrice"]Posted Image[/URL]

#9 evyrew

evyrew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Lets assume that I have $400 to spend on gaming right now.... Prices might vary, but just bear with me.

(not including taxes)
Base unit 360 = $280
Three Games:
Devil May Cry 4 = $60
Halo 3 =$40
Crackdown = $20
Games cost = $120

Total 360 Cost
= $400
-------------------------------------

PS2 = $130
One New Memory Card = $20

Seven Games: (combination of used and new games)
Devil May Cry 1-3 = $30
Metal Gear Solid 2-3 = $25
Shadow of the Colossus = $20
Bully = $20
Total Games cost = $100

Total PS2 Cost: $250

-----------------------------
Cost Difference = $150
You could save that money toward getting a 360 in the future when the price of games and hardware has come down....

Games decrease in price by as much as 60% in first 8 months
http://blog.videogam...0-in-first.html

#10 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:18 AM

Lets assume that I have $400 to spend on gaming right now.... Prices might vary, but just bear with me.

(not including taxes)
Base unit 360 = $280
Three Games:
Devil May Cry 4 = $60
Halo 3 =$40
Crackdown = $20
Games cost = $120

Total 360 Cost
= $400
-------------------------------------

PS2 = $130
One New Memory Card = $20

Seven Games: (combination of used and new games)
Devil May Cry 1-3 = $30
Metal Gear Solid 2-3 = $25
Shadow of the Colossus = $20
Bully = $20
Total Games cost = $100

Total PS2 Cost: $250

-----------------------------
Cost Difference = $150
You could save that money toward getting a 360 in the future when the price of games and hardware has come down....

Games decrease in price by as much as 60% in first 8 months
http://blog.videogam...0-in-first.html

WHO buys new games when they first come out anymore? Not I. You can get most games for cheaper by the third or fourth month they're out. Plus, I know most of those games wouldn't even be on my list of games to buy, save for maybe Bully, which I own but haven't opened. I was going for the quirky games for a while, like Mister Mosquito and Mad Maestro(still sealed). I even had Katamari Damacy, which I sold to a friend for $15, since I couldn't stand the damned thing.

All I can say to the OP is go with games you'd like to play, read reviews, check out videos for them(many are on YouTube)and whatever you do, buy them from places with lax return policies like Gamestop(unless the local stores by you are doing that 'paper seal' return bullshit again).

I know that they did that around here for a while and it was annoying. It was ONLY returnable if the paper seal wasn't broken, but what if you get a bad condition game that doesn't play? Then, you're stuck with it if you open it? That's just not right, if you ask me.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#11 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

PS2 can keep you busy for a LOOOONG time, and for dirt cheap, too. Get it.

#12 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:31 AM

PS2 is pretty darn small.

And look at all the games.

It's a great deal - go for it.

Just talking about that double...

#13 evyrew

evyrew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:30 AM

Plus, I know most of those games wouldn't even be on my list of games to buy

That was just an example of a combination thats possible. I used retail prices just to keep the comparison relative. Going used saves even more money for the ps2. The OP mentioned a article from racketboy about combinations of different cheap games, and i was just keeping in that format .

#14 imascrub

imascrub

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

if you didn't play the DS on the road a lot or at work or something, and instead at your friend's place, I'd say get a ps2. It's small enough to be practically a portable device in itself, and plus you can find many games that are good for playing with buddies for cheap nowadays. I dunno if Sony has released the "revised slim" ps2 yet or if it's still coming down the pipe, but the new revision will have a built in power supply, rather than a power brick as the current slim has, so that makes it even more easy to move around.

Also, the Metal Gear Solid series is a pretty solid (no pun intended...or was it?) addition to any collection.
Posted Image

#15 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

For the flame war going on about PS2 vs. 360, I think it should be obvious that 360 is a gen ahead and more expensive. While I could get a 360 I think at this point it's a waste of money because the games I like to play aren't really on 360. There's no need to argue about weather or not a 360 is better. The reason I'm attracted to PS2 is it's vast library of games from all genres. I don't think 360 delivers in that regard. There are some cool titles on there but I don't think I can get any of them for under $10.

back on topic...
I'll probably pick up the 3 pack with MGS 1-3 since I never got MGS and I own a PS1. >_>

I got some other games in mind. I know a lot of the time sequels to games are better than the predecessors. I looked at screenshots of Gran Turismo 4 and it looks pretty nice, especially for PS2. But I looked at some reviews and it looks like GT3 has less license tests and people found them more annoying in GT4. So which should I get?

sig.gif

#16 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

That was just an example of a combination thats possible. I used retail prices just to keep the comparison relative. Going used saves even more money for the ps2. The OP mentioned a article from racketboy about combinations of different cheap games, and i was just keeping in that format .

I just checked out the list that Doomed mentioned from Racketboy(who the hell is racketboy anyway, that's the first time I've ever seen their site) and quite frankly, many of those wouldn't be on my own personal list.

I had Katamari Damacy and while I like mindless fun, I just couldn't get past the horrid storyline and repetitive, annoying gameplay. Most of the rest of those games are ones that I'd sooner trade to FYE or Gamestop than actually play myself. My one buddy is a huge FPS nut, whereas I had my fill of them with the original Doom for the most part.

I definitely wasn't flaming your post, but sorry if it seemed like that. I've played enough stinkers that other people raved about to know what I like and what I DISlike.

But, based on my likes and dislikes, I'd recommend the following for the OP:

God Of War(1 and 2)
GTA Trilogy(III, Vice City and San Andreas)
Just Cause(a GTA style sandbox game clone)
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games(I and II)
Champions Of Norrath games(CON and CON: Return To Arms)

The games above should give the OP a decent amount of playtime to begin with and many of them(specially Just Cause and the GTAs) can be found cheaper than retail.

Posted Image

#17 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

Get the PS2. I'm jumping on the $30 gift card at Best Buy deal. $99 for a system with tons of great, cheap games? Sign me up. "Next-gen" can wait.
Posted Image

#18 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:19 AM

Get the PS2. I'm jumping on the $30 gift card at Best Buy deal. $99 for a system with tons of great, cheap games? Sign me up. "Next-gen" can wait.

I want to jump on that. I just need to find out how to dump my $90 in Wal*Mart gift cards. (Who the hell gives Wal*Mart gift cards as a gift? They never have any sales on video games so it's almost impossible to spend knowing what I'm buying is cheaper somewhere else)

sig.gif

#19 level1online

level1online

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Get the PS2!!!!

Right now I'm playing Guitar Hero III, Atelier Iris 3, and Melty Blood.

I got my PS2 (used/fat),15 games, 1 Memory Card, 2 Controllers for $100 from a friend. I modded it, and the only thing I've had to pay for are blank DVD's.

#20 Baron O Hell

Baron O Hell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

Love the PS2 and my DS. If you are plannin on picking up a PS3 you might want to hold off on the PS2. Also some of the newer HDTV will make ps2 games look like crap and might lag the game. I don't thin the ps2 slim has any type of upconversion.

#21 mary_at_gamefunk

mary_at_gamefunk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

Honestly, I miss my old PS2. :) I lost many hours to Baldur's Gate and Tekken Tag. It was far more reliable than my new Xbox 360 (heh... and quieter). And the games are dirt cheap now (although, the last Baldur's Gate released on PS2 in cut condition I believe is still around $40)

-Mary

www.gamefunk.com
all game. some funk.

#22 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:01 AM

I'm going to get a PS2 soon as well. The only thing that is keeping me from doing that is my 360 which keeps me pretty busy and I feel that the PS2 could go down in price when they make the next revision (power supply is actually inside the system itself). I just don't know when that will happen.

#23 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:28 AM

Honestly, I miss my old PS2. :) I lost many hours to Baldur's Gate and Tekken Tag. It was far more reliable than my new Xbox 360 (heh... and quieter). And the games are dirt cheap now (although, the last Baldur's Gate released on PS2 in cut condition I believe is still around $40)

-Mary

www.gamefunk.com
all game. some funk.

That's what gets me too, is that certain games hold their value in used condition, but some others just drop like a stone.

I have that Baldur's Gate game you're talking about, but only for the Xbox, since that was the system I found it for cheapest. I still goof around in Vice City from time to time and wish they implemented the 'eating' and other micromanagement items they put into San Andreas, since I have about $240 million in the game and nothing to really spend it on aside from resprays when my wanted level gets too high.

How did I get that high of an amount, you might ask? The vigilante missions with the attack chopper were a HUGE part of it. If you stick near the one part of the airport(behind the main terminal building), you can typically get enemies to respawn there and finish the missions in no time flat and getting up to level 150 is a breeze if you just have to keep shooting the enemies as they respawn.

Although, part of the fun with the chopper version of the vigilante missions is the chase. If I could find an MP3 of the Airwolf theme, I was tempted to blare that on my stereo the next time I went 'hunting criminals'. LOL

Posted Image

#24 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

Have you picked one up yet, OP? I got the silver version from Best Buy and I've been really enjoying my FF12 Collector's Edition. Ratchet & Clank and Burnout Revenge are next on my list.
Posted Image

#25 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

Not yet. Still need to get rid of my shittastic walmart gift cards.

sig.gif

#26 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

I am unsure whether to get a PS2 (slim) or a DS (lite) since they are the same price. It looks like the PS2 is more conducive to cheapassery at the moment since it's one generation behind DS and all. I had a DS Phat before it broke and I liked the games on it, so I know I'll like a DS lite. But the question is will I like a PS2 more? I think I may give PS2 a try since everything is so cheap, unlike Nintendo's pricing stucture where first party games are full price until they go out of print, unless it's a very big ticket game like Mario or something.

Racketboy's list of [good] cheap PS2 games seems like a good place to start if I do get a PS2, but I have a GameCube and there's a few multiplatform games on that list that are also on GC. So if I do get a PS2 what games do you all recommend? What's attracting me to PS2 is all of these nifty $30 bundles with 3 games in them. *sigh* if only GC got this much love.

Jesus, I don't know how anyone could want a DS over a PS2. Sooooooo many fucking good games on the PS2.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#27 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

I hope they release that new design and lower it to $99. When my PS2 broke, I picked up a PS3 so I was able to finish the games I was working on PS2 and still play my unopened PS2 games but I still want the PS2 for games I can't play on my PS3 that require special PS2 controllers like DDR, Beatmania, Pump It Up, In the Groove etc.

#28 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

I might hold out just a little bit longer for the supposed redesign. But I should probably set a time limit so it's not 2010 and I'm like "What happened to that rumored PS2 redesign?"'

I think I'm gonna get the MGS 3 pack when it comes out even if I don't have a PS2 by then because I can see that appriciating in value and I have a PS1 I can play MGS 1 on.

Does anybody here have any third party memory card experiences?

sig.gif

#29 mickeyp

mickeyp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:55 AM

I hope they release that new design and lower it to $99. When my PS2 broke, I picked up a PS3 so I was able to finish the games I was working on PS2 and still play my unopened PS2 games but I still want the PS2 for games I can't play on my PS3 that require special PS2 controllers like DDR, Beatmania, Pump It Up, In the Groove etc.

guitar hero 1 and 2

#30 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:02 AM

Does anybody here have any third party memory card experiences?

I've had good experience with the Nyko ones before. They're licensed by Sony, and I've never had any lost or corrupted data. This was back when I had my first (fat) PS2, so I don't have any experience using them with the slim PS2.
Posted Image