Photo
- - - - -

Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

• Please log in to reply
648 replies to this topic

#31 Moxio

Moxio

Supervillain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

Get one.

#32 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

OK, I think I know when I'm getting my PS2. Target to the rescue!
$99 is such a sweet price.

I've narrowed down my game choices. I think I'll be going for cheap and value priced fun. So I'll get the MGS collection when it comes out for sure since I can really see that going up in price sealed. When I actually get my PS2 I'm thinking of Twisted Metal: Head On since I've been playing TM2 recently and had a lot of fun. Or I may get some used games on Ebay/Amazon/CAG from the past 8 years of the PS2. Damn it why don't I have a PS2, like, right now?

Are there any first party or officially licensed memory cards with a higher capacity than the standard (I think) 8 MB? I wish I could trust a third party memory card but knowing my luck it will crap out on me.

sig.gif

#33 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

There are no official memory cards with over 8 MB. That being said, unless you're going to be playing alot of sports games, 8 MB lasts quite awhile.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#34 adamones

adamones

Super Dynamic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:05 AM

Yeah there's no reason to need more than one memory card unless you are playing sports game that require half the memory card. Most games are very small files, you can store everything you'll ever play on one.

#35 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:11 AM

Wait until 2/24.

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=171092

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#36 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

Yeah there's no reason to need more than one memory card unless you are playing sports game that require half the memory card. Most games are very small files, you can store everything you'll ever play on one.

Unless you're like me and want to have an 'archive' of your game saves you don't want to lose, should your current PS2 card go kaput on you. I have 3 memory cards for the PS2 actually. I have an original black Sony brand, a yellow and black Nyko officially licensed one and an unopened white and blue Nyko which I grabbed from a Movie gallery going out of biz during the last round of closings.

I regularly update the saves to the 'archive', to keep them up to date, so in case something happens, I don't lose one bit of progress in any of my games.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#37 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

Still don't have a PS2,(didn't use/trade my anti-cheapass giftcards before the $99 PS2 sales ended) but I'm glad I waited because the new PS2 family value pack comes with the slim 9000 model (no more power brick) and the standalone models should include it soon too. My deadline is January 1, 2009. If there's no holiday price drop, at least I'll get the new slim. I've been picking up a few games though. Already have the MGS collection and soon I'll get a few others that could become hard to find sealed.

Here's my ideas so far, spoilers are my comments/questions:
MGS EC
Spoiler

Viewtiful Joe
Spoiler

Sony Memory Card 8MB
Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted Edition
---below this is stuff I am considering---
Grand Theft Auto
Spoiler

Mercury Meltdown Remix
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy X or Kingdom Hearts or Persona 3 FES
Spoiler

Burnout Revenge

sig.gif

#38 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

P3 isn't hardcore. It's just grinding. Lots and lots of grinding. The story is little more than an excuse for the grinding and is basically Saved by the Bell: Japanese Edition guest starring DEMONS so you're not going to miss much, and DO NOT let otakus tell you otherwise.

I personally hate Kingdom Hearts. Once the novelty wears off, you realize you're playing little more than a button masher spiced up with fancy graphics. Which might pass for the most part, except that the camera does a great job of not letting you see the nice graphics, unless you think spin-art is awesome and are one of those douchebags that swears they can see things in them, which in this case would be popular Disney characters like Shitty Upright Dog Who Dies A Lot and Loud Annoying Useless Duck AI.

I don't know about FFX. It always looked like Cliche: The Game: Pretty Boy Action, but a good number of people swear by it. FFXII is supposed to be more progressive and might actually prove more toward a casual player, but I'll let the people who are undoubtedly going to give me stern responses tell you what to do there.

Trust me. These days, it's good to take a passing interest in the RPG genre, since it's so terrible that it might be a valid reason to punch random people on the street. Or, better yet, at any gaming convention, since you know the clientèle there might try to tell you that water swords are "the best weapon ever" and that "my life would be so much more awesome if I had a water sword, since it is the best weapon ever."

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#39 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:36 PM

GTA San Andreas is the biggest and (in my opinion) best GTA on the PS2.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#40 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

I don't know what to give you suggestions for since my collection is RPG heavy, other than the obvious which can be found elsewhere.

As far as Final Fantasy is concerned, I would take XII over X any day. I really enjoyed the battle system, and the way the over world functioned as well. It was a very nice change from the turn based Final Fantasies of the past. I can't compare it to Persona 3 since I've never played it, but if I were to choose between XII, X and Kingdom Hearts, I would choose XII for sure.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#41 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:11 AM

Dude, forget Jak and Daxter, get Jak 3. Soooo much better, just finished it and after the first few hours it turned into one of the best games I've ever played.

Get one of the later R&C games too, I found that those games were so repetitive one was enough, so you might as well pick the best.

GTA:SA is the obvious choice for sheer variety of mission types, vehicles, etc (and it's an awesome game) but you have to put in alot of time. If you want a more accessable experience and you love mob movies like I do get GTA:LCS and if you love the 80s either of the VC options are fine.

#42 Aleryn

Aleryn

CheapassSinceGradeSchool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:18 AM

Buy PS2. Get used PS2 games cheap while they're still easy to get.

Get DS later.

#43 Hybrid5006

Hybrid5006

White Trash Ballin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:19 AM

You should wait and get a PS2. Yes, I said wait. In September they are to release a new slim PS2 bundle which has the power brick built into the system itself. It will cost $150 and come with Lego Batman and a Justice League DVD. The units color will still be black.

#44 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:06 AM

I appreciate you guys telling me to get a PS2 over a DS, but that was long since decided. My fault for not editing my original post, which I just did to avoid further redundancy. Yes I am picking up PS2 games, mostly ones that I think will get hard to find cheap or sealed. Although I don't see the new Twisted Metal game becoming hard to find, I can see it becoming hard to find sealed, so that is my next priority. FFXII I am not worried about at all. Didn't it just go GH?

Just had some demo time with my brother's PS2 while he was gone, played GTA VC and GTA SA. SA has a huge map and I think I'll enjoy the larger environment, so I'll probably roll with that. Speaking of roll, my brother also has both Katamari games and I've played them a few times. I may be able to get him to part with them, because damn they are fun and quirky.

Dude, forget Jak and Daxter, get Jak 3. Soooo much better, just finished it and after the first few hours it turned into one of the best games I've ever played.

From what I read, the later Jak games had a shooting element to them as well. Is this correct? Not sure how much I'd enjoy that.

If you want a more accessable experience and you love mob movies like I do get GTA:LCS and if you love the 80s either of the VC options are fine.

Can you elaborate? By "more accessable experience" do you mean more stuff to do without being forced to do missions? How open ended is SA? Can I just say "fuck the missions" and go on a bike ride around the city without popups every five seconds telling me where I'm supposed to go? How does this compare to LCS?
LCS is dirt cheap new (like $10) So I might be able to afford both (not being old enough for a job sucks)

Another dirt cheap item is demo discs. I can pick up a bunch of eBay and play them to try a game without blowing too much money. I also am a sucker for demo discs for some reason. I'm gonna research if any of the games recommended here have demo discs and hunt for them on the Internets, but if anybody knows if they do, it'd save me some time.

sig.gif

#45 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

From what I read, the later Jak games had a shooting element to them as well. Is this correct? Not sure how much I'd enjoy that.

Yes that's correct. Shooting was a little wonky in Jak II but in Jak III it is so streamlined it plays like butter. I have never played a game where the weapons were all fun to use and it's great fun figuring out which weapon works best for which situation. Slight auto-targeting helps you out but it's so innocuous you might not even notice. On top of that the other gameplay elements are much more fleshed out, cars, hoverboard, an awesome array of enemies, shooting gallery, the first Jak was only 1/4 of the experience Jak III is.

Can you elaborate? By "more accessable experience" do you mean more stuff to do without being forced to do missions? How open ended is SA? Can I just say "fuck the missions" and go on a bike ride around the city without popups every five seconds telling me where I'm supposed to go? How does this compare to LCS?
LCS is dirt cheap new (like $10) So I might be able to afford both (not being old enough for a job sucks)

Nah. What I mean is that the LCS/VCS missions are generally short and sweet (makes sense as it was originally made for the PSP). In comparison some of those GTA:SA missions could take you the better part of an hour to beat. The map is HUGE and you will be forced to drive around the countryside for a while which is fun at first but can become a pain in the ass after a while when you die and you just want to get some more armor/ammo fast.

But if you want more stuff to do outside of formal missions, GTA:SA is def your game. So much variety! Just be aware that it will take a while to unlock it all.

#46 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:21 AM

The PS2 has so many great games!

I may never get a PS3 at this rate.

Just picked up Ultimate Spiderman, and I gotta finish Genji too. ZOE1 is just gonna go unplayed methinks.

#47 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

Just got Twisted Metal. It's getting pretty hard to find and I figure I'd pay about the same price six months from now for a used copy from amazon + shipping.

What are people's thoughts on Okami?

sig.gif

#48 squid

squid

sweetdiculous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

Okami is amazing, I think I could easily rank it into my top 5 for the PS2. If you can find it, get it. It's leaps and bounds better than the Wii version.

#49 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

Fuck YES!
Okami is getting a Greatest Hits release! :applause:

Any opinions on Hot Shots Golf 3 or 4? The reviews for HSG4 say it has all of the courses 3 has.

sig.gif

#50 GuruuShah

GuruuShah

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

HELL YEA get a PS2 its one of the greatest consules ever. xbox 360 is getting close to being one of the best to
Posted Image

#51 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:04 AM

My brother has left for college. He brought all of his good PS2 games and left a bunch of shitty ones. Great. :roll: On the plus side, he left behind FFIX and FFVIII, among other PS1 games. Even though he hates RPGs I guess he checked eBay before considering leaving FFVII behind. :bomb::wall:

TRU has a 2 for $30 for all $19.99 and under games. :bouncy: If Play-Asia is to be believed, Okami is going GH this week. Any ideas on my second game? Or if TRU acts like TRU and there will be no Okami, what should I get for my two games?

Now I already own:
Viewtiful Joe
METAL GEAR SOLID 2
METAL GEAR SOLID 3
Twisted Metal: Head On
---inherited crap---
007 Nightfire (actually a good multiplayer FPS)
2002 FIFA World Cup
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The
Madden NFL 2004
Spyhunter
Stuntman
World Championship Poker
dot hack // INFECTION

plus a bunch of demo disks. Woo. :lol:

I'm considering these for TRU:
Okami (unlikely to be in stock)
GTA San Andreas
Burnout something/Gran Turismo 4
Jak 3

sig.gif

#52 shelisheli

shelisheli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

i cant get into it.

#53 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Your brother didn't want to take Quidditch World Cup to college?! That shit's like Spanish Fly to nerdy girls.

...maybe, I dunno.

#54 aznguyen316

aznguyen316

Rock Chalk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:21 AM

this thread makes me want to pick up some PS2 games for my PS3.. I had a PS2 when it launched but quit playing it probably after FFX released LOL and gave it to my sister since I just played my xbox.

I just recently picked up Champions of Norrath co-op with my GF and been playing God of War II, in which I can recommend both. Man makes feel like I bought my PS3 for blu-ray and PS2 wireless connectivity (jk I play a lot of PS3 games also)

I'm debating b/t FFXII and Disgaea HoD since both will be sub $20..
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK | Steam: djfakey
i5-2500k@4.2Ghz; MSI 660Ti PE/OC Ed.

#55 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

If you're going to get Burnout, go with 3.

#56 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

I can't say anything about the controls/visuals of the PS2 version of Okami, since I played the Wii version, but I would highly recommend this game especially if you enjoy titles like Zelda. 40+ hours and plenty to do should keep you entertained.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#57 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

I'ma so scared/excited for Black Friday. PS2 Batman bundle $99 at Amazon, along with $15 for two SONY memory cards, $10 for arctic blue controller, $10 each for God of War and GoWII, $10 for Jak 3. Shit is going down.

If only I don't Fuck up. :pray: This is so nerve wracking I'd rather pay $99 for a standalone PS2 90000 in store than put up with this shit and have to get up at like 5AM. I'd be happy with the PS2, the memory cards and stuff is just icing on this "oh Fuck complete order complete order dammit dammit load faster place order shit shit shit" cake.

sig.gif

#58 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:27 AM

I just realized that since this thread first began, I've bought a PS2, sold it, and bought another one. I wanted to get the newer 90000 model with the built-in power supply. It was totally worth it. Now the system is even more portable, and I can just toss it in my laptop bag and bring to my friends' houses no problem.

Definitely get the Lego Batman bundle from Amazon. You won't regret it. As for games, I'd recommend Burnout Revenge over Burnout 3 and Gran Turismo, simply because I like how you're ranked in Revenge by crashing. There's a bit more strategy to it rather than just trying to come in first in the races.

Haven't played any of the Jak games, but I can whole-heartedly recommend any of the Ratchet & Clank games. Up Your Arsenal is my favorite. Great platforming and a rewarding weapons system.

And about GTA...I actually like Vice City better than San Andreas, but I'm partial to the whole 80s setting. However, San Andreas is not a letdown by any stretch of the word. You'll be happy playing either one.

Man, this thread just made me realize how awesome the PS2 was (is). I hope you find one, OP, and I hope you really enjoy it!

EDIT: Almost forgot, you won't be disappointed with Twisted Metal! Just make sure you have some friends to play it with.
Posted Image

#59 Doomed

Doomed

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

Fuck
Guess what Amazon didn't sell for $99?
Spoiler

I've got component cables and a memory card and a controller though. Also missed out on Shadow of the Collosus for $10 because I wanted free shipping. :roll:
Fuck YEAH!
GUESS WHAT AMAZON FINNALLY SOLD FOR $99?
Spoiler

I've got component cables and a memory card and a controller too! Also missed out on Shadow of the Collosus for $10 because I wanted free shipping. Oh well, you can't win them all. Once it get here via no income or job cheap ass shipping, I can just plow though MGS2 and MGS3. Not to mention Twisted Metal and Viewtiful Joe. Ooh! And LEGO Batman! *glee*

Edited by Doomed, 28 November 2008 - 09:08 AM.

sig.gif

#60 PawnTakesKing

PawnTakesKing

The Analytical Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Way to go, OP. Enjoy!
Posted Image