Photo
- - - - -

The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

• Please log in to reply
956 replies to this topic

#91 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

Luckily at work I have a very high end Xerox Tektronix printer that does 11x17
Posted Image

#92 soda

soda

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

What resolution did you scan yours in at? I only ask because the text seems pretty blurry. I'd make some myself if I had a scanner or a printer that could print these off nicely, but I don't. Oh well.

Er, maybe I failed to explain above: I didn't scan any of these-- I just looked around the internet for box art. Moby Games seemd to have the majority of them, and so they are low-res, blurry, and most of them have little Moby Games watermarks on them. As I said in my post above, I recognize these aren't of the best quality, but I printed them out on some color printers that the labs here at my university have and they look decent-- that is, the front cover art looks okay and the back cover text is readable. So if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but since I don't really have a way of getting high-res art (no scanners available) and I didn't feel like waiting for someone to post some of the obscure titles I had, I went ahead and made these.

#93 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:58 PM

sorry for the absence...finals at school are this week, and my comparative politics class really kicked my ass.

anyhoo, I plan to make Advance Wars 2, Sonic 2, and a coupla others this week. I, too, would like a WarioWare cover, but I seem to have lost my box; if anyone wants to scan it (at 330 dpi or better) and email it to me, I'll make it top priority.

Hopefully I can get back on this a bit more once my finals are over on Wed....
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#94 alongx

alongx

Soy loco por el Cornball

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:02 PM

Er, maybe I failed to explain above: I didn't scan any of these-- I just looked around the internet for box art. Moby Games seemd to have the majority of them, and so they are low-res, blurry, and most of them have little Moby Games watermarks on them. As I said in my post above, I recognize these aren't of the best quality, but I printed them out on some color printers that the labs here at my university have and they look decent-- that is, the front cover art looks okay and the back cover text is readable. So if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but since I don't really have a way of getting high-res art (no scanners available) and I didn't feel like waiting for someone to post some of the obscure titles I had, I went ahead and made these.

Didn't mean to sound like a dick or an ingrate, was just asking out of curiosity.
My gaming tally:

Posted Image

#95 soda

soda

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

Didn't mean to sound like a dick or an ingrate, was just asking out of curiosity.

Nah, s'okay. I felt kind of stupid for posting the low-res ones here in the first place since the high-quality ones initially posted look SO GOOD when you print them out, but when I printed out the ones I scrapped together and they looked decent, I figured I might as well throw 'em up here.

#96 DeathPrawn

DeathPrawn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:59 AM

I just finished making a Wario Ware one, hand-scanned and everything. It's obviously not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

http://www.walkergro...c/warioware.jpg

#97 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

I am going to try and build a small web app that will take the front and back covers as well as the spine scan and automate the process of building the covers. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.
Posted Image

#98 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:57 PM

I am going to try and build a small web app that will take the front and back covers as well as the spine scan and automate the process of building the covers. I will let you guys know if I have any luck.

That would be so choice.

samuraifez.png

#99 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:59 PM

I just finished making a Wario Ware one, hand-scanned and everything. It's obviously not perfect, but I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

http://www.walkergro...c/warioware.jpg

If your looking for constructive criticism, the side title is a bit too stretched/big (IMO). Other than that, it's sweet.

samuraifez.png

#100 Mookyjooky

Mookyjooky

Work is play...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:00 PM

Dont do all that....just make a Photoshop action.

#101 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:25 PM

Dont do all that....just make a Photoshop action.

If I could make a web based app that did it then not every would be required to have PS to create these. I may do both since the action is enough as well.
Posted Image

#102 Beccaboo0713

Beccaboo0713

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

Ok someone may have mentioned this and I just missed it in the jumble of all the posts but how to you get the side of the game where all it has is the name and the GBA logo.
Opinions are like ass holes every one has one and they all stink.

#103 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:14 PM

Ok someone may have mentioned this and I just missed it in the jumble of all the posts but how to you get the side of the game where all it has is the name and the GBA logo.

You take the logo for the game and create it.
Posted Image

#104 Beccaboo0713

Beccaboo0713

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:29 PM

Do you have to have photo shop, if so I am screwed.

#105 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:29 PM

No, but you have to have some sort of graphics program.
Posted Image

#106 Beccaboo0713

Beccaboo0713

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:33 PM

Ok thanks for your help. I am really not good with those kind of programs but I will see what I can do. I think that this is a great idea and right now I have all my games and instruction booklets in a make up case. So needless to say I need to do something about that.

#107 sillycon

sillycon

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:37 PM

I would like to see somebody does this, but with the art from the Japanese versions of GBA games. The Japanese box art is better 99% of the time and doesn't have the ugly GBA bar on the side of the front of the box.

#108 discopenguin816

discopenguin816

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:43 PM

Requested box art:
Super Mario Advance 4
Stuntman
DK Country 1
Posted Image

#109 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image
http://www.snackbar-...rioadvance4.jpg

I also mirrored all the covers to date here: http://www.snackbar-...ages/gbacovers/
Posted Image

#110 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:52 PM

I would like to see somebody does this, but with the art from the Japanese versions of GBA games. The Japanese box art is better 99% of the time and doesn't have the ugly GBA bar on the side of the front of the box.

Good luck finding high res scans of the Japanese box art.
Posted Image

#111 fuzzman24

fuzzman24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:18 PM

i have a bunch of boxes for games that i don't have anymore. does anyone want them that can put them up for others to make cases out of. email me at fuseejef@msu.edu i can get a list of the names of the games when i go home friday.

Jeff

#112 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:57 PM

My application for dynamically creating these is well under way but it appears there is a limit to the filesize that the php gd library can handle. My sub 100k files open just fine but the 1MB files just error out. I am looking into it.
Posted Image

#113 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:09 PM

Does anyone else find it hard to get the GBA games in and out of these cases?

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#114 oracrest

oracrest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

really awesome idea dude, kudos for creating something so cool for the gaming community

#115 basketkase543

basketkase543

I Heart Costco's Chicken

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:35 PM

Man, these are incredible, thanks!
My Fanvid Site (with fanvids of Spider-Man and Lost):
Posted Image

DS Friend Codes
Tetris DS: 527-025-117-984
Mario Kart DS: 085985-736184 (basketkase)

#116 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:30 PM

i have a bunch of boxes for games that i don't have anymore. does anyone want them that can put them up for others to make cases out of. email me at fuseejef@msu.edu i can get a list of the names of the games when i go home friday.

Jeff

I emailed you about the boxes.
Posted Image

#117 Snowcone

Snowcone

Master of Snackbar Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:33 PM

I have the automation partially working but it assumes you have the cover, backcover, and spine with the proper dimensions. I will finish up the page tomorrow morning and let you guys have at it.

The cover and backcover both need to be 1535x1370 and the spine needs to be 190x1370. I also pulled out the GBA logo for the spine and cleaned it up a little bit and then I will post a link to it for anyone interested in doing this. If you don't want to do it, you can always do the scans and let me know and I will do it for you.
Posted Image

#118 organicow

organicow

Old-School Cheapass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:36 PM

Ladies (who are we kidding?) and Gentlemen, I have posted some new covers for your printing pleasure. On the 1st page of this thread, in the OP you will find 3 new covers from me, as well as:
I fixed the stretched spine on deathprawn's Wario cover; I added the GBA logo to the spine of the designs from Swick and Masha; I resized some of them for consistency.

Keep 'em comin guys, we are all doing cool work! And thanks for the WWare design - I seem to have lost my box...

Snowcone - above and beyond the call of duty, my man. that program sounds real cool; hopefully it will get more people involved here!
www.afighttothedeath.com
www.mediahostage.com

#119 Mookyjooky

Mookyjooky

Work is play...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2004 - 11:45 PM

organic....do you have a FTP I can deposit some covers? I cant seem to Email them to you. PM me back...or hell... email me!

#120 ChrisXE

ChrisXE

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:01 AM

I really would love if some one can get these

Kingdom Hearts: CHain of Memories
FF:dawn of souls
Posted Image