The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
We are keeping this thread for discussions, but please visit Snowcone's site at Snackbar Games (www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php) for all the GBA cover action you could ever need!!

While I started this project in November of '04, and have done about a dozen of these myself, Snowcone has really run with it!! While a handful of other users have now contributed as well, Snowcone has proven that he has WAY too much spare time on his hands :wink: by doing a zillion of them! He says more are on the way, and we also owe a big thanks to Heavy Liquid for sharing a ton of raw box scans that we've been able to use. Thanks!!

Snowcone has now created a webpage dedicated to these covers here: www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php!! Let's keep this thread alive as a place to discuss these things, but do all of our file and scan swapping through the new page.

Enjoy!!

***OP***
When I got my DS and Mario 64 DS, I was struck by how cool-looking (though not very portable) the mini-DVD-style cases are. I've always wanted a way to store my GBA games on my gameshelf in a manner similar to my PS/PS2/DC/XB/GC games. So, since all DS cases have a GBA cart slot in them as well, I decided to start a little project.
(BTW, if you want to do this too, you can buy empty DS game cases in the nintendo.com store.)

So, in the tradition of MookyJooky's PS1/DC DVD cover thread (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26277), here are my DS-sized GBA covers (and also a real cover for the Metroid DS demo)! These files, when printed out, should fit perfectly into the DS game cases.
We hope you guys like 'em! if you want to use these, feel free: just click on the links below the pics to download the higher-resolution files that are good to print. I ordered 20 empty DS cases from nintendo for $18 shipped; why not?!? 8)
Anyway, give us your feedback on these; I'd like to know what you guys think.

Man, I love shit like this. These shouldn't be that hard too make either, because you can find high-quality boxart for most games at amazon. Cool idea bro.

This is freaking awesome. I'm ordering the cases right now...

Requests:
Wario Ware, Inc.
Yoshi's Island
SMB3
Mario v. Donkey Kong
Chu Chu Rocket
Monkey Ball Jr.
Super Mario World

yeah, you can usually get the fronts at amazon, but not the backs. I actually scanned all these myself, and then photoshopped them. Actually, i lost the box for Castlevania: HOD, so i got those pics from cdcovers.cc; they aren't as good, but they'll do for now...
The scanning took a little while because my scanner's a bit slow, but the photoshop work was really easy.

hopefully i'll get around to doing the rest of my games (and my friends', too) sometime soon...

thanks for the kind words!

Hey, these are pretty cool. But how big are the DS game cases? are they like GBA boxes but plastic? Because I would think it easier to store the games in some sort of wallet/case rather than drag all these boxes around. Though they're darn sweet as show peices/

[quote name='javeryh']This is freaking awesome. I'm ordering the cases right now...

Requests:
Wario Ware, Inc.
Yoshi's Island
SMB3
Mario v. Donkey Kong
Chu Chu Rocket
Monkey Ball Jr.
Super Mario World[/quote]

actually, WarioWare and all of the mario games you mentioned are in the next batch; hopefully in the next few days... glad you like them!

[quote name='Alpha2']Hey, these are pretty cool. But how big are the DS game cases? are they like GBA boxes but plastic? Because I would think it easier to store the games in some sort of wallet/case rather than drag all these boxes around. Though they're darn sweet as show peices/[/quote]

yeah, they aren't very portable, and i'll still use a wallet (or my pockets) to carry the games around. These are more for my home use; they look really nice on my shelf with all my other games, and its a good way to keep them organized with their manuals, etc.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Sounds cool, question is...will a Nintendo DS case hold a GBA cartridge being that the DS games are smaller?[/quote]

yeah, each DS case comes with two slots in it - one DS-sized, and one GBA-sized! 8)

[quote name='alongx']right now i have a handful of shitty tiny GBA cases.[/quote]

same here - that's why i am sort of excited about the DS cases....

Fantastic - needed one for Hunters.

Now I just need a single extra case :(

Wanna hook me up with a case and a printed Hunters insert for a little cash, cow?

[quote name='Sartori']Fantastic - needed one for Hunters.

Wanna hook me up with a case and a printed Hunters insert for a little cash, cow?[/quote]

sure - i ordered the cases, and they should be here soon. I try to remember to let you know when they get here!

[quote name='organicow'][quote name='Sartori']Fantastic - needed one for Hunters.

Wanna hook me up with a case and a printed Hunters insert for a little cash, cow?[/quote]

sure - i ordered the cases, and they should be here soon. I try to remember to let you know when they get here![/quote]

Awesome dude. I don't need to reformat my entire collection, as appetizing as that is, so 20 cases is a bit overkill for me :D

And my printer is from 1993.

Hey, thanks for mentioning my page...I kinda gave up on the idea when I realized....the dreamcast is dead. If you want help with GBA cover games let me know....I'll give you credit for the .PSD file you're using. I have a couple to scan in.

Email me the .psd file and I'll put this on the barcode.

.PSD made by : Organic Cow
Scanned & Placed by : Mookyjooky

i dont know if its already been mentioned but the zelda4 swords link isnt working, just thought i'd point it out

I'm impressed. Nice work. You could start a little business here for CAG and make quite a nice chunk of change doing that.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Namco Museum and Virtua Tennis links are dead, just letting you know.[/quote]

Yeah, i f'd up those links - they are fixed now. sorry a'bout that!

and mooky - i actually lied about using photoshop...well, it's just so much easier to say "photoshopped" rather than say "illustrator-ed." I actually just measured out the Mario DS inlay and then created an Illustrator template from there - so i'm not really using a .psd template...

but hey - feel free to make up some of these! I certainly don't care about being the one-and-only around here. go for it!

organicow,

This is a great idea!!! Although I don't have my DS yet...my birthday is right around the corner so I wasn't allowed to buy my own...if I saw these cases held GBA games I probably would have looked to do the same thing. This may actually make me get rid of all the boxes I am saving. Do the GBA instructions fit inside the cases?

I started to make covers for my playstation magazine demo discs when I saw the XBOX had slimline DVD cases for their demos. I just scanned the inserts and added a back to it so I could put them into slimline DVD cases. Here is one I did:

CopyofCover84Custom.jpg

Thanks for all the covers and I look foward to seeing new ones!!!

[quote name='StealthySeal']am i the only retarded one who trys to print these and they come out WAY too big?[/quote]
[quote name='jkam']Just wondering...What program are you printing these out from?[/quote]

Hopefully, i can answer both of these at once:
I use photoshop to print out the .jpgs. it, and most other image/graphics prigrams allow you to determine the print size. stealthy, are you trying to print directly from your browser? if so, that won't work since monitors can't display the same resolution that printed paper can; therefore graphics as you view them on the screen aren't always actual-size.

so, the files as i saved them are the right size, at 300 dpi resolution. try printing them with a program that allows you options like: print actual size, resize to fit paper, custom size, etc. that way you can make sure to get it right.

also, some people have pm'ed me to ask what sort of paper i print on. the answer is "everyday use" SATIN photopaper. It is much cheaper than the glossy shit, but the quality is great for this use; you don't need to use a really glossy paper since you are going to be putting the printout behind clear plastic anyway. plus, this paper is slightly thinner than regular photopaper and therefore it bends better around the folds of the case.

and BTW, you have to have a printer that allows you to print pretty close to the edge of the paper - otherwise it might clip off a bit of the edge...

[quote name='jkam'] This may actually make me get rid of all the boxes I am saving.[/quote]

Hell, I'll take 'em if you ever decide you don't want them anymore. Anyways, those printouts are nice! Good job OP. And may I make a request? Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem would be great!

[quote name='rabbitt'][quote name='jkam'] This may actually make me get rid of all the boxes I am saving.[/quote]

Hell, I'll take 'em if you ever decide you don't want them anymore. Anyways, those printouts are nice! Good job OP. And may I make a request? Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem would be great![/quote]

I'm working on Tactics Ogre right now. I'll post it when it's ready.

I dont recall seeing in this thread but do you have a format file? would it be possible to give it out? I'd be willing to work on a couple when I get some time from some of my other projects.

[quote name='Alpha2']I dont recall seeing in this thread but do you have a format file? would it be possible to give it out? I'd be willing to work on a couple when I get some time from some of my other projects.[/quote]

yeah, someone already asked me for it; i actually used Illustrator for them, so i just measured out the deminsions and created a template. i know most people would use Photoshop, but i don't have a .psd for it. I can tell you though that the standard size is 11.6 cm x 27.4 cm, with the spine being approx. 1.6 cm wide. hopefully that will help you guys create your own template/format files.

Keep 'em comin' guys; I can't wait to see what you all can do!! 8)

[quote name='rabbitt'][quote name='jkam'] This may actually make me get rid of all the boxes I am saving.[/quote]

Hell, I'll take 'em if you ever decide you don't want them anymore. Anyways, those printouts are nice! Good job OP. And may I make a request? Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem would be great![/quote]

Agreed, I'd love some boxes.

lol i still cant get these damn things to print out the right size... now when i get them to print to the page size... it is 2 small :(

[quote name='organicow']
yeah, someone already asked me for it; i actually used Illustrator for them, so i just measured out the deminsions and created a template. i know most people would use Photoshop, but i don't have a .psd for it. I can tell you though that the standard size is 11.6 cm x 27.4 cm, with the spine being approx. 1.6 cm wide. hopefully that will help you guys create your own template/format files.

Keep 'em comin' guys; I can't wait to see what you all can do!! 8)[/quote]

I'm an illustrator/photoshop user too so I can use your template. I find Illustrator is generaly best for things like dvd/cd cover creating.

update -
i just finally printed all the covers out on the cood paper, and man they look great if i do say so myself!! My cases should be here tomorrow - i can't wait to put them all on my game shelves!! no more tiny, crappy, unstackable MadKatz cases for me!!

Lunar Legend DS

If you want a higher resolution LL (2 meg) PM me your email address and make sure you have space..

If you're still doing this, could you host the covers please?
If you're not, could you pm me a template so I could do it myself?
Thanks.

bread's done
Back