10 games kids shouldn't play!!

didnt think halo 2 was bad...i dont even think it should have an M rating :whistle2:\...i mean, its blue blood..and its not like its graphic or nething (no extreme gore, no limbs flying about)..didnt have ne sexual stuff either..and as for the guy game..whos gonna buy it :whistle2:X!!!

These people need to realize a M rating is equivalent to a movie's R rating. Then there's not much they can say about the distinction between M and AO. It's the same as R and X.

My kids (7 & 6) play Halo/Halo 2 - I have no problem with it.

I have Mortal Kombat - Deception (got it with the Midway Treasures bundle a while back) but I'm contemplating selling or trading it in.

Other than that, my kids play just about everything I play - Ninja Gaiden, Fable, etc...

I believe my kids know the difference between right and wrong, they know it's onlly a game, and I limit their play time.

[quote name='greydemise']didnt think halo 2 was bad...i dont even think it should have an M rating :whistle2:\...i mean, its blue blood..and its not like its graphic or nething (no extreme gore, no limbs flying about)..didnt have ne sexual stuff either..and as for the guy game..whos gonna buy it :whistle2:X!!![/quote]

Halo 2 should be up their, cause it's not bloody or anything but it's like crack with multi-player. I got a friend in collage who never does his homework cause he's always playing online in Halo 2. It just gives kids a reason to be lazy.

Were's Silent Hill or something. That'll give kids nightmares. If I played SH when I was like 9 years old, I'd pee my pants.

[quote name='mcwilliams132']My kids (7 & 6) play Halo/Halo 2 - I have no problem with it.

I have Mortal Kombat - Deception (got it with the Midway Treasures bundle a while back) but I'm contemplating selling or trading it in.

Other than that, my kids play just about everything I play - Ninja Gaiden, Fable, etc...

I believe my kids know the difference between right and wrong, they know it's onlly a game, and I limit their play time.[/quote]

good point,i mean really, i mean..changes in kid's behaviors (im sure) dont happen overnight.if a parent were doing his or her job, and noticed their kids behavior changing..they should do sumthing about it :whistle2:\..i think video games do have the potential of altering someones behaviour (especially a child, since their soaking everything in , and at a young age, develop behavior patterns), but parents also have the ability to teach their kids the difference between right and wrong

[quote name='mcwilliams132']My kids (7 & 6) play Halo/Halo 2 - I have no problem with it.

I believe my kids know the difference between right and wrong, they know it's onlly a game, and I limit their play time.[/quote]

I believe you sir are an intelligent person. Not because you let your kids play these supposedly 'violent' games, but because you have taught your children the differences between right and wrong.

I think there should be more adults such as yourself that don't let Oprah and Dr. Phil run your life. Too many Americans let ESRB and movie ratings rule their life.

[quote name='rabbitt'][quote name='mcwilliams132']My kids (7 & 6) play Halo/Halo 2 - I have no problem with it.

I believe you sir are an intelligent person. Not because you let your kids play these supposedly 'violent' games, but because you have taught your children the differences between right and wrong.

I think there should be more adults such as yourself that don't let Oprah and Dr. Phil run your life. Too many Americans let ESRB and movie ratings rule their life.[/quote]

agreed! THREE CHEERS FOR MCWILLIAMS!

This is crazy! If there was any game that a kid shouldn't be playing, it would have to be RTX Red Rock....why, oh why did I have to spend 7 dollars on that paperweight!!

[quote name='greydemise'][quote name='rabbitt'][quote name='mcwilliams132']My kids (7 & 6) play Halo/Halo 2 - I have no problem with it.

I think there should be more adults such as yourself that don't let Oprah and Dr. Phil run your life. Too many Americans let ESRB and movie ratings rule their life.[/quote]

agreed! THREE CHEERS FOR MCWILLIAMS![/quote]

rah! rah! rah!

Mario should be banned. Murdering giant mushrooms is very violent, not to mention Mario and Luigi's princess-saving antics are an insult to all Italian American plumbers.

WTF??!!?

This is BULLSHIT!!!

San Andreas is so innocent that it makes paper Mario look like a snuff film.

did anyone else notice the advertisement on this page? Its for Resident Evil Outbreak which is rated M. I find that kind of funny!! Nice ad placement by someone!

How about kids don't play any M-rated games?

That's the easiest solution, and it's not like seven year old Billy needs to play GTA while he's that young. I don't believe the "video games create violence" crap, but kids don't really need to be exposed to that at that age.

I have a 9yr old and his favorite games are Halo/Halo 2 and he also plays most of my games. It's all about how you raise your kids. People need to raise their own kids not let somebody else do it.

I think this report is more for the parents who buy their kids GTA and then get pissed off that it's violent. If parents would just read the game rating on the box....

The whole violence on TV and video begets violence in real life is total kaka.

Tom and Jerry was my favorite cartoon (still is), and it had:

- dismemberment with knives
- shooting people
- beheadings
- biting
- Stabbing
- and a whole host of other violent acts

But you don't see people trying to ban that cartoon or loony toons either.

My 7 year old cousin is only allowed to play rated E games, yet I still hear him impulsively saying "Kill Him/her".

I dont see anything wrong with Halo 2.
What should have been on the list though is Manhunt, and I mean on the reccomended list, because Manhunt has many educational things such as:

1. Learning New language for the younger kids.
2. That cutting off heads with wire isn't as hard as it seems.
3. You can use the heads to distract the enemy.
4. Plastic Bags are plentiful and can be used with ease to intimidate that certain someone that annoys you example: Your teacher gives you a bad grade on a test.
5. A shard of glass can be deadly.
6. Baseball bats can be used for more than just hitting baseballs.

There are many more. Manhunt is such an educational game :D

The reason Halo gets an M is for the massive amounts of gun toating, for god's sake itey even amped it up by including dula wielding.

First person shooters will ALWAYS get M because they're about running around shooting thousands of creatures of a general humaniod shape in one on one violance with glorious spurts of blood (regardless of color). The common held belief is that agressive behavior in these games is rewarded thus teachin kids it's better to shoot someone in the head than talk to them, this is wrong... School should be where the learn this lesson.

"Buh, whud abuht Mertroid Huh? tha's TEE!"

How many humanoids do you kill in that? MAYBE 10 or 15 over the course of the game unles you like walking in and out of rooms hundreds of times to refresh them. It dosent focus on how many "people" you can kill, it's about surviving the environment with the occasional vicious monster, which is why so many demand it not be called a simple generic FPS. Samus could defend all her killing activity as an act of self defense while Master chef is simply doing his job... which as a soldier is to indiscriminatly kill his enemies.

Frankly I dont know what anyone's getting upset about, A great deal of us here are old enough to buy these games for ourselves or atleast old enough to get past register monkees that dont remember to check ID. I agree kids should be playing these games unless they're mature which is the determination of the parent/guardian.

[quote name='Scrubking']The whole violence on TV and video begets violence in real life is total kaka.[/quote]

Oh really? Here's a description for an actual ebay auction:

Sega Saturn System and 8 Games l@@k ~must sell~

OK YOU PROBABLY SAY WHY MUST I SELL THIS? WELL LET ME EXPLAIN. SEE I HAVE A 7 YEAR OLD WHO LOVES THIS! UNFORTUNATELY BEAT A LITTLE BOY UP ON THE BUS AND DAD ASKED WHERE HE LEARNED HOW TO KICK IN THE NOSE WITH HIS SHOE! HIS REPLY MY VIDEO GAMES, SO BEFORE MY HUSBAND COULD THROW IT OUT THE FRONT DOOR I GRABBED IT AND STUFFED IT IN A BOX! (PHEW) NOW LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE! I HAVE THE SEGA SATURN SYSTEM! SORRY UNFORTUNATELY I DONT HAVE A PICTURE! 7 CDS AS FOLLOWS- VIRTUA RACING, STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2, ANDRETTI RACING, NFL 97, BAKU BAKU, CROC, AND VIRTUA FIGHTER 2! JUST FOUND A COP GAME UNDER HIS BED TOO! NOW A COUPLE OF THESE GAMES HAS SOME SCRATCHES ( A 7 YEAR OLD USED THEM!) LAST I KNEW THEY WORKED! YOU ALSO GET 1 PLUG AND POWER CORD! [...] THANKS FOR LOOKING! GOOD LUCK!

I sent them a email a while back basicly telling them that the games on their list are really not that violent compared to what is on TV. I aslo told that ESRB is doing a fine job and I don't think they need anymore help. I never got a reply back from them. I spent a while writing it too. It was 3 pages long on MS word (single spaced).

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Scrubking']The whole violence on TV and video begets violence in real life is total kaka.[/quote]

Oh really? Here's a description for an actual ebay auction:

Sega Saturn System and 8 Games l@@k ~must sell~

OK YOU PROBABLY SAY WHY MUST I SELL THIS? WELL LET ME EXPLAIN. SEE I HAVE A 7 YEAR OLD WHO LOVES THIS! UNFORTUNATELY BEAT A LITTLE BOY UP ON THE BUS AND DAD ASKED WHERE HE LEARNED HOW TO KICK IN THE NOSE WITH HIS SHOE! HIS REPLY MY VIDEO GAMES, SO BEFORE MY HUSBAND COULD THROW IT OUT THE FRONT DOOR I GRABBED IT AND STUFFED IT IN A BOX! (PHEW) NOW LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE! I HAVE THE SEGA SATURN SYSTEM! SORRY UNFORTUNATELY I DONT HAVE A PICTURE! 7 CDS AS FOLLOWS- VIRTUA RACING, STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 2, ANDRETTI RACING, NFL 97, BAKU BAKU, CROC, AND VIRTUA FIGHTER 2! JUST FOUND A COP GAME UNDER HIS BED TOO! NOW A COUPLE OF THESE GAMES HAS SOME SCRATCHES ( A 7 YEAR OLD USED THEM!) LAST I KNEW THEY WORKED! YOU ALSO GET 1 PLUG AND POWER CORD! [...] THANKS FOR LOOKING! GOOD LUCK![/quote]

That about wraps this thread up. Someone used the "video games games result in real violence" tagline as a marketing tool for selling some crappy Sega games, so the theory must be true. No need to research this one any further boys, case closed!

At work, I talked a mother into buying Halo 2 for her kid. It doesn't seem too bad to me to watch an alien get shot and what looks like a rainbow of paint spray across the wall.

GTA games I wouldn't let a kid play. One of my younger cousins flipped out on me because I made him leave the room while I played GTA with his older brother.

I can see why these games aren't suitable for kids, but if your a parent and go by these rules like it's the law then your pretty stupid. As a parent you should know what your kid can handle and what he/she can't. I don't see all the damn up roar about M rated games, I don't see little kids going to see R-rated movies, or little kids buy packs of smokes or drinking beer, you know why? Because there enforced laws against it, if they ENFORCE the ESRB rating soccer moms would have nothing to bitch about, but they want to band violent video games or sexually explicit games all together, they need to take a reality check pill, Turn on the news, flip through channels, watch a few commercials, go to your local malls, sex and violence is all over the damn place. So unless your kid lives in a plastic bubble there going to take notice regardless if you try to shelter them or not. and for you under 18 gamers I understand how this would screw you over if they Enforced the ESRB rating, but if your mature enough to play these games then your mature enough to ask your parents if its ok to play em (plus theres always a loop hole :wink: ).

Most games I played when I was a kid weren't violent, even though my parents bought games regardless of ratings. Even now the games I play aren't that violent, cause i think most of the violent games are just crappy.

Halo? MGS3 would have been a better choice. There are plenty of worse M rated games out of those two though. YES, IM A CHEAPASS VETERAN! : :D

My parents let me play whatever I wanted to when I was little. That included mortal kombat and doom (even though I didn't care too much for them). I haven't done anything pathetically stupid BECAUSE of a game. If a kid is gonna do something stupid, it's not gonna be because of the game... it's gonna be because he/she's screwed up.

kids should play games like halo and other fps's, that way they have a refrence point for when they grow up and have to go kill people in other countries.

[quote name='punqsux']kids should play games like halo and other fps's, that way they have a refrence point for when they grow up and have to go kill people in other countries.[/quote]

America's Army would be better

I was just wondering... how come we always hear about kids immitating violence because of games, but we never hear of kids getting traumatized cause of scary games like RE or SH?

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']How about kids don't play any M-rated games?

That's the easiest solution, and it's not like seven year old Billy needs to play GTA while he's that young. I don't believe the "video games create violence" crap, but kids don't really need to be exposed to that at that age.[/quote]

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I think that the parents and only the parents should decide whether or not their kids can play certain games.

I was addictited to Mario Bros 3 as a kid (9-10 hours non-stop every day) and hell I didn't walk into a bank and say "FREEZE! I have the magic star and I'm not afraid to use it!". Nor have I screamed "GET OVER HEREEEEEEEE" and thrown a garden hose out of my hand and wacked my friend in the face with it. :roll:

"What kind of movies did they watch? What video games did they play,? What music did they listen to? Whatever Happened to Just being CRAZY?!?!"-Chris Rock

Here's my take on this:

It's human nature to want to explore humanity's dark side. Long before there were video games, there have been books, plays, operas, music, etc. about things that are "bad". It's the reason everyone cheers for Richard III in Shakespeare's play of the same name. It's the reason American Psycho got turned into a movie. This whole ESRB thing is about as productive as banning books was.

If anything, I'd rather have people actualizing their desire to experience the "dark side" by playing games. At the end of the day, at least games never hurt anyone. True, gaming seems to be a popular scapegoat these days, but the fact is, games don't cause violence anymore than Marilyn Manson caused Columbine (something else the pundits tried to allege not too long ago). It's very easy to observe A and B and say that A caused B, but it's also a serious logical fallacy.

At the same time, I don't think every game is appropriate for everyone. Specifically, if you've got kids that are really into guns and violence and think the answer to all their problems is to shoot the bad guys, then they shouldn't be playing games that reinforce that belief. If a parent hasn't properly taught a child that real violence hurts real people and has real consequences, then that child shouldn't be playing games that glorify violence. Parental involvement, and not a bunch of letters on game cases, is what keeps kids on the right path.

It seems like you have a grasp on things. You play the games so you know what is good and what is not.

I don't like seeing 7/8 year olds playing Hitman, GTA, Dead To Rights... and I do have coworkers that have no problem buying them.

Hmm, which response to this "coalition" is more appropriate, "yup", or "duh"?

Someone should provide them with a list of the rest of the 'M' rated games, it would save them quite a bit of work.

[quote name='greydemise']as for the guy game..whos gonna buy it :whistle2:X!!![/quote]

I understand that CheapyD recently acquired a personal copy. :roll:

[quote name='alpo845']Hahaha...Free advertising for those 10 games.[/quote]

Yep. It's even funnier when an activist group gets up in arms about some product that hasn't done much business and creates enough curiousity to make it a hit. 'Married With Children' was on the verge of being cancelled when the idiot Terry Rakolta went on a campaign to tell everyone what a horrible affront to all human decency the sitcom was. Suddenly the name was in the news a lot and people might never have seen the show were tuning in and liking it. It went on to become one of the longest running sitcoms in broadcast history.

[quote name='Alpha2']The reason Halo gets an M is for the massive amounts of gun toating, for god's sake itey even amped it up by including dula wielding.
[/quote]

Watch out! He has a dula!

bread's done
Back