CAGcast #106: Costume Ballers

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Cheapy and Wombat discuss the significance of HD movie formats and the console wars, new releases, industry news, your CAGbag questions, and how to make your love life sizzle!

Win Tickets to Wizard World LA!
Win Rez HD (Xbox 360) From UGO and the CAGcast!

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast106.mp3[/media]
Download
- 100 minutes, 46MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus picture:

Yay!

Scary bonus pic. /shudder

Edit: I don't want download-to-own HD movies. Ever. Never, nope, nada, it ain't happening for me. Disc-to-own, or rent--that is all.

Wombat, DMC3 was similar in interface with the saving and such.

That pose makes you look like you were supposed to be in one of the Def Jam Fight for NY characters.

*EDIT*So I played tAssassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles . It's actually not bad! The game controls very well and smooth and does feature short cut scenes in the game. The graphics are about as good as a DS can be. There is little mini games for interrogation with preassure points to make enemies talk that play like Elite Beat Agents. I am thoroughly impressed with the combat sysem but most of all the controls are great and it does lay like classic prince of persia. You guys should give it a try.

Wow! I too have had the exact same problem with my 2nd gen Ipod Nano. I've used 3 sets of headphones on it. And every time the Right ear would start to crackle and eventually would just not work anymore. Weirds. Damn if that guy is right, I better call apple to see if I can get a new one before the warranty is up.

ugh like 5 minutes in and I feel your pain. I just dropped my iPod into the toilet so now I have nothing to listen to (all my music was on my iPod and I have no backups =[). And now I'm bored out of my mind during the day, I need something soon.

Please grow your beard out! I mean, as long as you don't have to do any media stuff and appear on camera, why the hell not?

Love this weeks CAGcast. I am sad to say Wombat was wrong this week. The score of 5/ 10 is the average on a 1o point scale. The perception of a 5/10 is a whole different thing. People learn in school that 50% is a failing grade. So that was causing problems with Metacritic when 1up's scoring being averaged into other sites who use the school method. So 5/10 in the 10 point scale is equal to a C in the school scale. Now the problem the school scale adds is the numbers. You saw that a C is 71-75. So will Metacritic always use the high side or the low side?

It has been a long time since ChaepyD belched on a CAGcast, with his superior microphone it was really epic. I guess that was an ol'skool belch for O.G. Cags.

As for games from last generation that I still play.There is "War of The Monsters" which I had hoped was the next Icog/Eat,Sleep,Play game. The game is my Smash Brothers except it requires skills. I also love to play "Metal Gear:Subsistance" , "SSX3", "Shadow of the Colossus" and still trying to finish "Odin Sphere".

Wombat I finally checked out your UGO Blog. Yes, I am so late to that. You are funnier in writing than on the show. Is CheapyD oppressing your great wit and humor?Are you just better at writing jokes than on the fly jokes?Well I will be reading your blog from now on.

[quote name='Jackal888']Love this weeks CAGcast. I am sad to say Wombat was wrong this week. The score of 5/ 10 is the average on a 1o point scale. The perception of a 5/10 is a whole different thing. People learn in school that 50% is a failing grade. So that was causing problems with Metacritic when 1up's scoring being averaged into other sites who use the school method. So 5/10 in the 10 point scale is equal to a C in the school scale. Now the problem the school scale adds is the numbers. You saw that a C is 71-75. So will Metacritic always use the high side or the low side?

It has been a long time since ChaepyD belched on a CAGcast, with his superior microphone it was really epic. I guess that was an ol'skool belch for O.G. Cags.

As for games from last generation that I still play.There is "War of The Monsters" which I had hoped was the next Icog/Eat,Sleep,Play game. The game is my Smash Brothers except it requires skills. I also love to play "Metal Gear:Subsistance" , "SSX3", "Shadow of the Colossus" and still trying to finish "Odin Sphere".

Wombat I finally checked out your UGO Blog. Yes, I am so late to that. You are funnier in writing than on the show. Is CheapyD oppressing your great wit and humor?Are you just better at writing jokes than on the fly jokes?Well I will be reading your blog from now on.[/QUOTE]

I have over 100 years of school based history to back my theory, show me where it is written that 5 is average on a 10 point scale. Also regardless of 1ups power in the industry I don't think it is up to them to decide that their average score is different than 90% of thier associates. Its a ploy for them to get more press. OMG 1up gave "game x" a 5!!!!
I want answers, I want the truth.

[quote name='Wombat']I have over 100 years of school based history to back my theory, show me where it is written that 5 is average on a 10 point scale. Also regardless of 1ups power in the industry I don't think it is up to them to decide that their average score is different than 90% of their associates. Its a ploy for them to get more press. OMG 1up gave "game x" a 5!!!!
I want answers, I want the truth.[/quote]

Simple math my friend. The definition of average is the mean or middle value of a set of numbers. With the number set 1-10, 5 is the mean or average number.

EGM was around before the internet became the de facto place to see game scores and before Metacritic was used as the barometer of gaming sites. So the system they set was not made for page views it was made to review games. (Damn, now I sound like a 1up defense force.)
CGW now GFW magazine also tried reviews with just text and no score at all, but people revolted and they brought back scoring.

So now they are looking at the landscape that Internet game reviews has become over the years and they changed the scoring system to fit the times.

You still have not answered why you are funnier on your blog.

[quote name='Jackal888']Simple math my friend. The definition of average is the mean or middle value of a set of numbers. With the number set 1-10, 5 is the mean or average number.

EGM was around before the internet became the de facto place to see game scores and before Metacritic was used as the barometer of gaming sites. So the system they set was not made for page views it was made to review games. (Damn, now I sound like a 1up defense force.)
CGW now GFW magazine also tried reviews with just text and no score at all, but people revolted and they brought back scoring.

So now they are looking at the landscape that Internet game reviews has become over the years and they changed the scoring system to fit the times.

You still have not answered why you are funnier on your blog.[/QUOTE]

Just admit you have Bias against any number that isnt 5. Its ok to have a preference but I am going to say that you are a Number 5 fanboy. And when you have time to think about your jokes, they can be a bit funnier, thanks for kind words, Johnny5

[quote name='Jackal888']Simple math my friend. The definition of average is the mean or middle value of a set of numbers. With the number set 1-10, 5 is the mean or average number.
[/quote]

Your assumption that 5 becomes the average would require that most games are given approximately a 5 with less and less games getting the numbers farther away from 5. There would likely be a similar number of games receiving a 10 and a 0 (although not strictly so).

However, games tend to be rated much like children in US school system are graded. It is possible to get scores below 5, but very unlikely because of the intelligence/fun factor level it implies. (Comparing bad games to people with learning disabilities probably makes me look like an ass, but I think I need to make one more statement to finalize this point. Apologies if I offend someone, I don't mean to.) Games/People that would score below a 5 (consistently) are typically handled in a different manner. Games are typically ignored or just ridiculed without giving a "real score."

You thus end up with "real games" that effectively are scored between 50 (competent) and 100 ("perfect"), which means that the average ends up being about 75 because anything below 50 is "ignored".

CheapyD, your iPod shutting down randomly *may* be a case of the battery not being fully connected.

I've had to replace my headphone jack twice (luckily my jacks haven't destroyed any equipment, but they fail once a year). The first time I replace it, I didn't realize that the battery ribbon actually locked into place at the bottom of the iPod. I didn't lock it when putting the iPod back together and for months my iPod would just lockup/power off/freeze at random.

[quote name='Wombat']Just admit you have Bias against any number that isnt 5. Its ok to have a preference but I am going to say that you are a Number 5 fanboy. And when you have time to think about your jokes, they can be a bit funnier, thanks for kind words, Johnny5[/quote]

Hey I went on Numbercritic.com and I have proof that the number 5 was used 80% more than other numbers. So it is not bias.I am not a 5 fanboy I use 8 to dial my cellphone and I casually use 3.

Favorite War of the Monsters level TSUNOPOLIS. Favorite monster to fight with KINETICLOPS

Are people still doubting that Insomniac can make the fall release for Resistance 2? They've released a game every fall since the first Ratchet & Clank in 2002.

Wombat, do you not want developers to make new IP or do you just want Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch to stick to Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper instead of working on new games like Uncharted and inFamous? You've made that same statement about Insomniac and Resistance vs. Ratchet back in early 2007.

Is it really that Sony lost the chance to dominate this generation or that Microsoft and Nintendo stepped up their game to make sure they weren't late to the party like the last generation?

Cheapy's reinvigorating the Wombat effect, where CAGs will now ask about many peripherals in the CAGbag, hoping Cheapy buys one for them.

You should play Uncharted if you're interested in achievements unlocking stuff within the game, as all of the unlockables are tied to it's achievement system. Don't play Warhawk, though, as it's just garbage.

Why does Cheapy have to downplay the importance of the guys leaving GameSpot or other websites that are trying new things like he's got the most-viewed website on the internet? "No Alexa rating? Fail." Wombat was right on that subject.

hey cheapyd you should toss away your ipod and get a zune. i have had my zune for almost a year now and love it. the latest firmware and zune software is great. i also have a question about cag 2.0. I just got a phone with web capabilities and it is a pain to post from it will the new vb and 2.0 have better phone support thanks.

wombat is my hero

Zune does not support a Mac. I think I got Mrs. cheapy convinced to buy me a ipod touch for the birthday present she never got me last year.

bawlin.jpg

Nice cast guys :]

[quote name='CheapyD']Zune does not support a Mac. I think I got Mrs. cheapy convinced to buy me a ipod touch for the birthday present she never got me last year.[/quote]

ummm, what about your child? That isn't a gift?
lol

Awesome show, guys! I get it RIGHT IN TIME for work on Friday morning!

Anyways, a few things;

I agree that life can be horrible without one's iPod, as I use mine no less than 10 hours a day! So without mine, 8 hours at work would be silent cubicle torture!

The gamerpic situation sucks, Cheapy, I totally feel you on the shady contract deal too...I've had to deal with a few of those myself.

...and last but not least, Wombat, your lisp throughout the show make me laugh out loud like a fucking weirdo at work! "are they THEXXXY THYLUSES?" hahahaha, good shit, fellas!

Yeah, I've won a DS Lite before thanks to CAG/Goozex. Oh, and Cheapy is indeed becoming like Jack in The Shining.

ScaryCheapy.jpg

[quote name='CheapyD']Zune does not support a Mac. I think I got Mrs. cheapy convinced to buy me a ipod touch for the birthday present she never got me last year.[/QUOTE]

32GB just came out. Shazam!

[quote name='zerowing']ugh like 5 minutes in and I feel your pain. I just dropped my iPod into the toilet so now I have nothing to listen to (all my music was on my iPod and I have no backups =[). And now I'm bored out of my mind during the day, I need something soon.[/quote]

Were you listening to music on the toilet? :lol:

Great show as usual! I'm really enjoying the new Friday release schedule as it lets me sync my iPod before work and starts my weekend off on the right note.

Now only if I can convince Mrs. Grouch to let me play games all weekend. :)

Chiming in on the ps3 / xbox 360 war and blu ray conversation. How about a situation like myself. I started buying a 360 at launch, then I realized I HAD to have a HDTV because SD was no longer acceptable so shelled out 3G's for the Samsung 46 inch 1080p. Then once you have a nice HDTV you want to watch HD movies with the wife and family, so boom I buy the HD DVD add on. Then I realize blu ray has more movies in its format, so last summer I buy ps3 mainly because its the best value blu ray player and Im a gamer so why not.

Fast forward to now, i have only bought exactly one game for PS3 which I traded, and too many to count on the 360. Games on the 360 are so much better with rumble, live functionality and achievement points . I find it very hard to buy a game for my ps3, or wii for that matter. But every weekend I end up using my ps3, for the blu ray movies. Also I love the photo options and audio stuff. Maybe when the ps3 games start selling for cheap I might pick some up.

I dont think the ps3 can win, because its really a inferior game platform when you put the xbox 360 experience next to the ps3. Maybe, Sony will fix things, the rumble controller and home come out this year. But having a PSP Im used to Sony promising the world in the future and not delivering.

Looks like Cheapy D is ready to hit the town and go rape the ladiezzzz! Great cagcast though. I always love it when you guys talk about your sex lives (or the non existence of one in regards to Mr. D) and use words like maybe and "I can neither confirm nor deny". That way the wife can't kill you because hey, it's not like you said anything...

On the Thursday episode of X-play, the one with Jeff Gerstmann, during the show, on the ticker that scrolls on the bottom of the screen, there was mention of the giving games to the military, and there was of course, mention of Cheap Ass Gamer.

[quote name='mriswyth']Your assumption that 5 becomes the average would require that most games are given approximately a 5 with less and less games getting the numbers farther away from 5. There would likely be a similar number of games receiving a 10 and a 0 (although not strictly so).

However, games tend to be rated much like children in US school system are graded. It is possible to get scores below 5, but very unlikely because of the intelligence/fun factor level it implies. (Comparing bad games to people with learning disabilities probably makes me look like an ass, but I think I need to make one more statement to finalize this point. Apologies if I offend someone, I don't mean to.) Games/People that would score below a 5 (consistently) are typically handled in a different manner. Games are typically ignored or just ridiculed without giving a "real score."

You thus end up with "real games" that effectively are scored between 50 (competent) and 100 ("perfect"), which means that the average ends up being about 75 because anything below 50 is "ignored".[/quote]

Can't anyone read without inference? The number 5 is the mean in the set of 1-10. So using a scale of 1-10 , 5 is the average. That is a fact. I am not assuming anything.

There were games that received less than 5, these games were below average.Maybe it is a statement that games in general are made well that you did not see a lot of below average games.

I was on the runway in Vegas too during the super bowl. It was a crazy windstorm that kept us on the ground. We waited for 2 hours -- damn US Airways (don't blame the weather, blame the airlines). Luckily I was only flying to San Francisco and we got here around halftime so I got to catch the end of the game.

I think the HD TV information was off. While 14% may have HD tv (whenever that survery was done- most are a year old). I think you will see a huge jump when the switch to HD broadcasts take place. That next year and well before Xbox 360 2

By the way, the last 2 shows have been a return to form and awesome.

I think that achievements in older games would be cool. I, for one, want to finish Ninja Gaiden Black. I, also, would like to garner rewards for that. Whether it be achievements, bonus costumers, cheat codes, etc.., I would definitely welcome that. I never finished Halo 1 or Halo 2 and playing those again with some type of reward would motivate me to ebay these games and start playing. Keep the cagcasts coming.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat.... Have either of you ever played Mario 64? I remember 1 of you saying that you havent...... but come on now... its "MAR-IO" not "MARE-IO" go here and LISTEN to Mario say his name at the Title Screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RRO7tAJYnI

If ya get tha right and if Cheapy would talk more about Big Dumps the show would be perfect now that the Navy adds are gone!

Oh and Cheapy Likes the 360 and the PS3 equally 1 is the best for gaming, and the other is the best for Movies!

[quote name='usickenme']I think the HD TV information was off. While 14% may have HD tv (whenever that survery was done- most are a year old). I think you will see a huge jump when the switch to HD broadcasts take place. That next year and well before Xbox 360 2

By the way, the last 2 shows have been a return to form and awesome.[/quote]

It's from Nov 2007:
http://www.marketingcharts.com/tele...capable-media-universe-estimates-issued-2212/

The reason I asked if you liked Jet Set Radio Future, is what Wombat said: it does have a sound and art design like Rez HD.

bread's done
Back