IGN Responds to Cheapy...Not so good

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 Dunvane

Dunvane

The Diddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:56 AM

I love CAG and CheapyD... but guys, c'mon.

The 360 podcast is great. It's the only other one I listen to on a consistent basis. Quit being so mad that they talked about Cheapy and calm the hell down.

#32 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:04 AM

Wow, an inter-feud. Boring, who cares. I don't go to IGN anymore since they were bought out by Fox/Rupert Murdoch. They've turned into crap for a long time. I urge anyone with common sense to boycott everything Fox/Mudorch related

Las Vegas Limousine - The coolest limos in town!

Los Angeles Limousine

#33 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:06 AM

But... Blu-ray isn't a driving force the way DVD was for the PS2. Most people are still satisfied with DVD.

4 million Blu-Ray discs were sold last year. 1.7 billion DVD's were sold last year. Driving force? More like drop in the bucket.

I was just at BB today during lunch, but I overheard this exact sentiment. People keep talking about bluray and how they don't want to pay for the exact same movie they can get on DVD.

Las Vegas Limousine - The coolest limos in town!

Los Angeles Limousine

#34 SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

I love Panda!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:07 AM

Though I generally enjoy the IGN Games Podcasts, I've learned to ignore anything and everything they have to say about the next-gen movie format. A little while back they heralded Blu-Ray as the clearly superior format saying it was the more mature of the two formats. Hah.

#35 Ikohn4ever

Ikohn4ever

No Women, No Children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:08 AM

i would like to see this debate
"Men have become the tools of their tools." - Thoreau
Smash Code
1805-1831-0940 Ikohn
Posted ImagePosted Image DVDs My Games

#36 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:08 AM

Sony is probably paying them off like Circuit City, yeah I said it.
1 CENT AUCTION STARTS: XBOX 360 & DS Game @ My ebay auctions!

#37 blueaurora

blueaurora

You are who you choose

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:22 AM

I wouldn't doubt the pay off. At this point people are just going with the tide right now the tide is just coming in for bluray. The tide will also always recede to some degree.

I can't wait for Sony to flip everything given they have the rights to everything blu and to keep the prices inflated for much longer than would have been previously. These buy one get one sales won't be funded forever.

Posted Image

#38 HotShotX

HotShotX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:27 AM

File this under: "Who gives a shit about IGN".

~HotShotX
[chipinsig]dc7c442c9bf5c573[/chipinsig]

#39 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:31 AM

who the hell is this guy anyways...Hilary? Obviously everyone has heard of IGN but has anyone actually heard of this guy before this forumpost? Almost pisses me off as much as the Mass Effect situation. Get ure facts right!! Good thing this guy doesn't have a large audience or he would really look like a fool.
Posted Image

#40 daphatty

daphatty

VTEC Bitches!

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:37 AM

I love CAG and CheapyD... but guys, c'mon.

The 360 podcast is great. It's the only other one I listen to on a consistent basis. Quit being so mad that they talked about Cheapy and calm the hell down.

If you think we are getting riled up over this then you would be mistaken. The IGN guy didn't even speak intelligently about the issue. What is there to get riled up about?

Posted Image

#41 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:52 AM

Helps that there were millions more DVD players than Blu Ray players. Back in 2000, you think anyone said "There were 1.7 Billion VHS tapes sold this year, and only 4 million of these Digital Video Disc things! Drop in the bucket!"

DVD players and discs were selling like hotcakes when they came out, people were eager to move on from VHS. That isn't happening today, and those numbers support that conclusion.

The first year DVDs and DVD players were available in the US, 1997, they sold 2 million discs. The next year, they sold 7.2 million discs. By the time the PS2 had come out in 2000, 8.5 million DVD players had already been sold, most of them costing more than a grand a piece. This is what I call a "driving force" that propelled PS2 (which cost less than standalone DVD players at the time). Blu-Ray is simply not catching on at anywhere near the same rate that DVD did.

So yes, drop in the bucket. Its clearly not doing for the PS3 anything like what DVD did for the PS2. If anything, its PS3 thats helping the Blu-Ray format, which doesn't say much for how they're doing.

#42 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:53 AM

Cheapy. If they really did invite you to debate on their podcast then I think you should go on and get the free publicity BUT make sure the servers can handle the influx of related traffic.

#43 darkcecil32

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:11 AM

Yea, Hilary does/did some reviews for the original xbox and xbox360. I still remember his review of Assassin's Creed. After treating the game like a godsend, he pretty much contradicted all the previews/hands on from before and essentially said the game was severely lacking. I personally stopped going to ign for anything other than daily news after Reverend David Francis Smith and Dave Zdyrko left way back in the day.

#44 SteveMcQ

SteveMcQ

I love Panda!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:36 AM

In case you've just listened to this particular TRL (Three Red Lights) podcast, Hilary says a lot of things tongue in cheek/to get the audience riled up. I'll listen to it later this week, but just be aware, don't take everything he says too seriously.

#45 twanky

twanky

Zombie Aficionado

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:55 AM

I'd say just ignore the situation.
Posted Image
MH3 ID: J57HR9/Tuanz0

#46 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:36 AM

Maybe Cheapy should know that the Fox Corporation owns IGN. Just saying.

Does it really matter why a Console pulls into first, or SECOND place for this generation? No. It only depends on how you become #1. Nintendo did something new, the others didn't, period. They're winning. Microsoft isn't, Sony isn't.

Why are people arguing who gets Second Place? There's no point.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#47 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

I used to listen to the IGN podcasts when Kathleen from 1up was working there briefly .
They were alot better with her , she gave them a pulse .

After she left they made a comment or two about her , and I thought that was pretty shitty thing to do , not to mention unprofessional .

They had a show recently called GameSages , it was good .
I listened to it mostly because Jeff Gerstmann was on it .

Other than that IGN is totally a last resort for me .
Their news page is a mess , with too much bullshit mixed in .

card.pngl1.gif

#48 trq

trq

I *am* the reinforcements

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

who the hell is this guy anyways...Hilary? Obviously everyone has heard of IGN but has anyone actually heard of this guy before this forumpost? Almost pisses me off as much as the Mass Effect situation. Get ure facts right!! Good thing this guy doesn't have a large audience or he would really look like a fool.

First off, IGN has ... six million subscribers? Eight? Something like that. That doesn't mean most or even many listen to the podcasts, but they don't have a large audience: they have a HUGE audience.

More importantly though, Hil Goldstein is the primary editor of the IGN Xbox channels. If he's suddenly a huge Blu Ray proponent, it's likely sarcasm.

#49 hcamacho

hcamacho

Leto II "The Tyrant"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:16 AM

This is to you IGN.......I don't have a HDTV,and I have a 360, ok.........And that means I dont have a HD dvd player, nor I am interested yet...The thing is when the ps2 got released dvd was one major force driving the sales of the system, why IGN morons?Because everyone had a SDTV(standard definition TV)Now if I want to have a HD dvd player, I have to buy a HDTV,and nowadays the economy is not as good as it was back in the day........CheappyD, why the big corporations try to get on you?They must envy you?Who cares, still the best podcast is the cheapassgamer one!!!!!
Posted Image

#50 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

I was beat to it but Hilary is the XBox section EIC, and has been with IGN since the Dreamcast days. They are pretty negative most of the time about Microsoft, saying the games are what is giving them the lead currently over Sony.

At the beginning of every episode, they read a list of all the listeners and message board subscribers whose XBox 360's died the previous week and have a moment of silence for them (hence why the podcast is called Three Red Lights.) They also make fun of Microsoft VP Jeff Bell by having one of those hotel/bank/office secretary table bells calling it Jeff Bell and anytime someone says anything like PR speak, they read a PR speak quote, or says slang trying to sound cool, they ring the bell.

On every podcast since CES, they have been criticizing Microsoft heavily on their continued backing of HD-DVD and saying this will be the PS3's year because everyone is going to buy it after Sony drops the price again so they get a next-gen game system and movie player in one box and Sony (in their eyes) will have the software and network to compete with Microsoft. They also say Microsoft should make XBox Live free because it's a ripoff, but they never will because people pay them for it.

They will also rant about 20 minutes on Lost, what's coming out for the Wii (even though there's a sepearate Wii podcast), talk about how much their podcasts sucks and say no one should be listening, or many other rants so I don't know how seriously you can take them. I can already hear Cheapy now, "it doesn't matter who this is because no one knows him as IGN XBox EIC Hilary Goldstein, people just think of him as faceless/nameless IGN writer who could be easily replaced and few would care."

I was an IGN Insider from Dec. 2000 until this month, mainly for their message boards. I miss the boards but most of the people I really liked are XBox Live friends and I like the community here much more. Our collective IQ is probably 5 times greater than IGN's subscriber base, although it outnumbers ours greatly. The IGN podcasts play to that subscriber base all the time. Listening to the vast majority of the emails they get makes me cry for our public education system. People email them like they're the ones making the games and complaining about what's not in them and they should add X into X game.

I'm so glad I've saved that $20-$25 per year now.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#51 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

lol, internetz, seriouz buzinezz
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#52 weevles

weevles

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

This ain't even news. I could give two shits about what IGN says about...anything, let alone be bothered to listen to whatever circle jerk they're calling a podcast.

#53 Jackal888

Jackal888

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:43 AM

nobody has ever called CheapyD a Xbox fanboy before... this is not news.
i agree with IGN's forecast of Xbox not having on paper a good lineup for 2008.
Wombat "Someone told me to reboot my face!"
CheapyD "I am having a cucumber day!"

#54 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:48 AM

I don't listen to dudes that have the same name as my girlfriend.

Awkward.
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#55 vanilla_shakin_it

vanilla_shakin_it

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

I think cheapy should not ignore this. First of all we all know he won't. Why? Because it's entertaining and he knows it. Remember the Penny Arcade Sucks episode? The ign stuff they aired was hilarious. This should be too. I don't think we should tell cheapy to ignore this when we know it's gonna be funny.

#56 hcamacho

hcamacho

Leto II "The Tyrant"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:03 AM

this ign episode will get to kotaku's maing page today, and destructoid....it's the little corporations against the giant corporations.....it's a war already declared first penny arcade, now cag, then what's next?
Posted Image

#57 Simon D I

Simon D I

www.GamerClash.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

I don't listen to dudes that have the same name as my girlfriend.

Hahahaha! Good call!

But yeah, I'm just disappointed that Goldstein reacted like a immature little kid. (without even hearing Cheapy's comment himself) I mean....IGN ARE THE PROFESSIONALS! You would think they'd take a moment to listen to the comment!

Anyways, Cheapy, if you decide to go on IGN, please give them CAGHELL!!!!!!

#58 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

hilary said "who's cheapy d?" cheapy give him a call set that up, would be hilarious

#59 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

is it from the same guy who was yelling at Penny-Arcade when PA criticized IGN about something? IGN needs to learn to be more professional but i guess that's too much for them. this is the reason why i don't listen to IGN's podcasts. the only one i listened to recently was Gamesages and it was because they had Shoe and Gerstmann on together which was awesome.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#60 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:05 PM

is it from the same guy who was yelling at Penny-Arcade when PA criticized IGN about something? IGN needs to learn to be more professional but i guess that's too much for them. this is the reason why i don't listen to IGN's podcasts. the only one i listened to recently was Gamesages and it was because they had Shoe and Gerstmann on together which was awesome.

no that was jeff not hilary lol