Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So, who has upgraded the HDD in the PS3? (It appears Best Buy was clearancing some 2.5" SATA drives...and I have gift cards to burn there).

A few links about upgrading:
http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/127009.shtml
http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips/0,3800004921,62032875-3,00.htm
http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3cheatsandcodes/a/PS3HDDDriveSwap.htm

A few questions:

- Was it easy? Yes

- How do you transfer files over? Either use the PS3 backup utility (will need an external drive that is FAT32 and 32GB or larger) or copy files over individually to an external HDD or USB Thumb Drive or Flash Memory.

- How do you do it? See tutorials above

- What size drive do I need? 2.5" SATA HDD (Notebook HDD). 5400 RPM is stock, but 7200 will work...although, it may cause more heat.

- Any other tidbits? Have fun :)

I will TRY to keep the thread updated with good information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any clearance prices online?

The dmc4 installation killed me.. I had to deleted it completely.

I heard that its rather easy to replace the hd. I assume you just have to format it and thats it.

How did everyone pass over their content? How can i copy over lets say games i have purchased like mk2 (which i cant find in the store anymore)

[quote name='guyver2077'](which i cant find in the store anymore)[/QUOTE]

Anything you download is removed from the store.

You have to go into your past download lists to re-download things you've bought.

[quote name='zewone']Anything you download is removed from the store.

You have to go into your past download lists to re-download things you've bought.[/quote]

thanks for the info.. i was hoping that was the case

Please in your hoods don't forget to check Compusa.. they may have some notebook drives.. I picked up a 160gb HD for 78 dollars. which is a decent price imo. I used a external drive to back up my PS3 HD, and then I installed the new drive and restored my original hard drive contents from the save that was backed up on the external drive. It was easy.. I even set aside 10gb for the Other OS... I'm having a tough time getting a copy of YDL.. but I'll get it eventually.

[quote name='Thomas96']Please in your hoods don't forget to check Compusa.. they may have some notebook drives.. I picked up a 160gb HD for 78 dollars. which is a decent price imo. I used a external drive to back up my PS3 HD, and then I installed the new drive and restored my original hard drive contents from the save that was backed up on the external drive. It was easy.. I even set aside 10gb for the Other OS... I'm having a tough time getting a copy of YDL.. but I'll get it eventually.[/QUOTE]
compusa by me had (key word... had) a few 120gb's at $60 BEFORE 40% off....

also, be VERY careful when removing the screws when swapping drives. mine refused to unscrew and ended up stripping them. had to use a dremel to re-notch all the screws.

I was thinking of upgrading my PS3s. I just got a second 40gb PS3 and my 60gb is starting to get full. I was wondering how so many of you have external HDs readily available? I checked online and they're not really that cheap.. to the point where I'm not sure it's a worthwhile investment at this point.

But I was thinking.. what exactly can you export? If there's no way to send demos/installed games, that leaves the settings and actual game saves? What would the average size of those be? Or IF you can send out the demos/installs, can you just buy an external enclosure and throw one of the extra PS3 drives in for the time being?

Aye

Anyone who has done this, how to gameshare'd games and DLC transfer over? I've done a gameshare for Pixeljunk and Bowling, would I be able to use those still if I threw in a 320gb?

Hmm lets say I upgrade my 40gb HD. Then, my PS3 dies and I decide to move that HD to another PS3, will everything be the same? Or will it be like the 360 and make me do everything all over.

[quote name='BrownThunder']Anyone who has done this, how to gameshare'd games and DLC transfer over? I've done a gameshare for Pixeljunk and Bowling, would I be able to use those still if I threw in a 320gb?[/QUOTE]If you do a system back-up utility with an external HDD, it will work. If you do not, you'll lose game-share stuff.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Hmm lets say I upgrade my 40gb HD. Then, my PS3 dies and I decide to move that HD to another PS3, will everything be the same? Or will it be like the 360 and make me do everything all over.[/QUOTE]Nope, because it will ask to reformat it. You can back everything up to an external HDD using a system backup utility, and restore it back. That's what you have to do to keep everything.

Thanks for the fast reply, I really appreciate it.

So if I've got a 60gb ps3 and an external HD with 100gb free (its a 500gb), will the system backup work? or does it have to be a completely clean HD?

Geeks.com was running a deal on the Seagate Momentus 160GB for $50 w/free shipping over the weekend, but looks like they sold out or pulled it. Great deal for those who don't want to go too big and for cheapness. Oh well.

Once I get some money in, I'm going to upgrade to a 320 gb drive. Probably have a 500-1tb external usb drive on top of it just to go for the gusto. I actually like the playstation video store. The SD stuff is actually pretty high quality.

[quote name='TimPV3']320 GB drive, $112.99 shipped from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152111

Customer reviews are mostly positive in regards to the PS3. This is a fucking steal.[/quote]
I've installed 2 of these drives on 2 40gb ps3s. There was also a sale on the drive for $99.99 last week at newegg. It's an awesome drive for the ps3, although bewarned that there is a bug if you are trying to install this now with the 2.41 firmware. All the PSN games will have corrupted save data files. It will be unable to create a new save file aswell and they will all come out corrupted. But there is a simple fix that doesn't quite make sense. All you have to do is create an internal memory card (either psone/ps2) should be fine. That solved the issue for me, which I dont understand why.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Actually they do have it in stock, but 'almost gone'.

Seagate Momentus 160GB for $47.50

add something else that qualifies for free shipping for 2.50 into your cart and you get it all for 50 total (free shipping for $50 and up total)![/quote]

whoa thats sick.. is this confirmed to be compatible?

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I got one in mine. :D[/quote]

thanks! ordered

added a cheap sim card reader and cd paper sleeves for free shipping... goodbye shitty 20gb

[quote name='smiggity']It seems like this drive is refurbished. Confirmation?[/quote]

Hmmm, that would seem to be true. I don't think it was like that last week though. Interesting.

EDIT: FYI, the deal I posted earlier from geeks is actually a 'factory recertified' unit.

those who want to make use of the left over 20, 40, 60 or 80gb can get an enclosure to make it into an external hd. i just got this one from amazon and it works great.

77f3c060ada03e18343ca110.L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Nexsta...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216689113&sr=8-1

[quote name='JMEPO']You should get a big ass one terabite harddrive. The ladys love the terabite~[/QUOTE]

Well, with the way ps3 installs games that might not be a bad idea.

I just ordered one of the 320gb HDDs. I really do need to space since I keep a lot of my music on there, not to mention those game installs. ;)

Any external drive will work to house files...although, you cannot use it to copy game data on them (I believe, unless i am wrong).

[quote name='guyver2077']so how do you backup your stuff?[/quote]

There's an option, I forget exactly where, called backup/restore. This will pretty much copy everything on your HDD to an external source. You'll need an external HDD, USB drive, memory card etc. with enough room (and must be formatted to FAT32).

[quote name='doubledown']Any external drive will work to house files...although, you cannot use it to copy game data on them (I believe, unless i am wrong).[/quote]

You're correct and I looked on play-asia, the one they have is an internal drive but comes with an external box. If you want an internal or external drive, you can check newegg.

[quote name='starmask2k3']was it the max drive 160 GB[/quote]

Ooooh, that one's, that just an external drive. You can pretty much get any external drive off of newegg and it will work, though it won't let you install game data only store music, movie, photos and other media related stuff. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If that's all you want it for, then just get one off of newegg as I just said, lol.

[quote name='fatez']when i did a backup for my ps3, i just used my 30gb ipod. that worked fine :)[/quote]

That's what I plan on using when the time comes for me to start backing up stuff from my PS3. ;)

[quote name='distgfx']Ooooh, that one's, that just an external drive. You can pretty much get any external drive off of newegg and it will work, though it won't let you install game data only store music, movie, photos and other media related stuff. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If that's all you want it for, then just get one off of newegg as I just said, lol.[/QUOTE]

so i can use the EX-HDD to use for movies,pics,music and is this ones from PSN too
and then use my PS3 HDD for saves and DLC for games is that right

bread's done
Back