CAGcast #108: Out of the Closet

"They'll take American commercials and dub them into English."
Is it just me or has Mrs. Wombat come down with a Long Island accent since her last appearence? Did Wombat just call CheapyD a hymen?

Outfit Cheapy wishes the wife would wear:
002.jpg

keeping this episode on the downlow i see. I might just listen to it. Cheapy you need to catch up on Phoenix Wright or Apollo Justice, rather. its good.

Theres more to the HD movie situation than just HDTV penetration. Theres also a general war on consumer apathy when so many of those HDTV users are fine watching SD content.

Most new TV buyers probably dont even have a CHOICE except to buy a HDTV.

Sorry I think that Hulu.com IP blocks.

Wombat is wrong about Patapon.You have to look at the screen. There are enemies you have to know when to use what command. The screen also pulses to help you with the rhythm. You play Elite Beat Agents and tap the DS constantly yet that is fun for you.The game also has a deep weapon and armor collection. You can play dress up with your army. There are mini games.The game is more than tap,tap,tap.

Hey cheapy if you like all things Night Rider related, you might want to check out the song title "Assassin" by the band "The muse." The song isn't Night Rider related, but listening to a guitar and drum version of the theme song is awesome.

listening to the show...

i didn't bother with the new Knight Rider TV show. i'm more excited about the KR movie cuz that car looks freakin cool in the movie poster. it's a Jag if i remember correctly.

good to hear mrs. Wombat on the show again :D

Cheapy, your George Takei impressions were hilarious! Oh my! XD

I'm with you on the DLC vs. Disc Based expansion. I'll pay more per song via DLC for Rock Band songs than I would for one disc expansion from Activision, but its inconvenient to switch discs.

I'll probably buy $100+ in Rock Band DLC this year. Happy hour events at my condo have never been more entertaining. Guitar Hero is pretty much over at this point. Red Octane is now just a hardware developer. Activision is going to beat this poor horse to death.

Wow! A "Jerky Boys" reference within two minutes of the show? A W E S O M E !!!

"Pablo, honey, are you keeping yourself clean? Are you washing your ass? Pablo, honey, come to Florida honey. You,...you BASTID! YOU BASTID!"

Hahah, apart from that, GREAT SHOW as always! Cheapy, it was definitely fun getting on COD4 sunday night & talkin about the Knight Rider shit, you DEFINITELY have to join in on the fun all of us CAGs have been having on COD4 lately!

And Thorbahn, thank you for that image up there, it definitely made my day thinking of having a wife at home with that type of outfit! Daaaaaaamn!

Anyways, keep up the good work, Wombat, get started on stitching those three underoos together, and we'll catch you guys online, hopefully!

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Merry Christmas! Its Val Kilmer! He's car-sized now....
Val%20Kilmer.jpg
293.kilmer.val.100407.jpg
[/quote]

DAYAM!

Mario Kart Wii info that could have been researched in all of 30 seconds since GDC:

The wheel comes with the game.

You can use the following control schemes beyond the wheel:

- Wiimote
- Wiimote + Nunchuk
- Classic Controller
- GameCube controller

EDIT: Val may be a fattie now, but after watching "Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang," that dude can be really funny.

I'm surprised you guys are so hesitant with PixelJunk Monsters. I heard great things about it when it was released and thought it was a great game for $8. My wife and I had a ton of fun playing co-op.

Okay, just finished listening to the CAGbag portion with RockSolid Audio, and I think I have to agree with him; educated video game journalists are diamonds in the rough, as opposed to just people that want to talk about games and have their own opinions heard.
I feel like the internet-based game journalism industry tends cater to a lowbrow audience, and as an educated adult, I often find myself starved for a more educated and academic approach to video game commentary.

I must admit, I have been overlooking the 1up Yours podcast, because I assumed from its name that it would be just another group of angry nerds talking about how much they hate owners of the system they don't own. When I gave it a listen, I was pleasently surprised at how knowledgable the hosts were, and how able they were to look past simple discussions of graphics and gameplay mechanics and dig their hands into more abstract issues. I listened for the first time last week and subscribed immediately afterwards.

I bring this up because RockSolidAudio works for 1up.com, and if these are the types of reviewers that he is accustomed to, then I agree with him 100%. Reviewers of that calibur are a rarity at best. However, I also see Cheapy's point that, like any game industry job that doesn't require special degrees or training, there are hundreds of hopefuls waiting for an opertunity to sink their teeth into the industry. However, although these hopefuls may have talent they often lack refinement.

I'm not saying they need a journalism degree, but just like a game tester doesn't need to know how to program, it makes a big difference when they do.

The new Knight Rider show was unwatchable! I can't believe you sat through 2hrs of that shit. I tolerated 20min before FF till the Hasselhoff cameo. It was about as painful to watch as the Transformers movie. Hey Wombat, google chemtrails, thats why Mrs. Wombat is sick. Everyone in the tristate area is sick.

The section about written reviews is interesting. Personally I've moved on to watching the video reviews, mainly to see the visuals that go with what their saying. On IGN though, they just read the written review over the videos for the most part. Don't know if other sites do the same.

why do cheapy and wombat keep saying that older movies aren't likely to look good on blu-ray because they weren't made with a high definition transfer in mind?

i'm not an expert, but since 35mm film has greater detail than 1080p you should generally expect any movie to look good in HD nomatter how old it is. the only exception i can think of is that film degrades over time... but i don't think that's the issue here.

older movies are probably just more likely to have older, shitty transfers.

Wombat is dead wrong on Patapon. The actual rhythm parts are only half the game, it has a surprisingly deep squad management system and is quite tactical. It's also only $20! Bargain.

The demo's up on the PS store now, there's no excuse not to check it out.

[quote name='rogueweapon']The new Knight Rider show was unwatchable! I can't believe you sat through 2hrs of that shit. I tolerated 20min before FF till the Hasselhoff cameo. It was about as painful to watch as the Transformers movie. Hey Wombat, google chemtrails, thats why Mrs. Wombat is sick. Everyone in the tristate area is sick.[/quote]

Well, I saw it with the commercials edited out, so it was only 1hr 20 minutes of that shit.

To that guy who was asking about if he should sell his Assasins creed for 18 bucks, dont do it! Come on over to GoozeX.com and trade it for something you do want. I just started using GoozeX in January, and I love it. I was able to unload stuff like Halo 3, Untold Legends(PS3) and those awful burger King games and turn into Assasins Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, and the champions of norrath games. And once im done i can retrade them. I was suprised their system does work very well.

Dont mean to sound like a commercial or advertise for them but Im done trading my games to EB Gamestop to only get a third of their true value. No more them making money by taking new sales away from the publisher and ripping us the consumer off by giving us less than our games deserve in trade in then trying to sell used games for 5 dollars less than a new copy.

GOD I HATE THEM!!!! ok rant over

[quote name='futhamucka']Wombat is dead wrong on Patapon. The actual rhythm parts are only half the game, it has a surprisingly deep squad management system and is quite tactical. It's also only $20! Bargain.

The demo's up on the PS store now, there's no excuse not to check it out.[/QUOTE]

I did play the demo. I am not wrong, I just didn't like it, it is my opinion and I am well aware that I am in very slim minority here.

[quote name='Wombat']I did play the demo. I am not wrong, I just didn't like it, it is my opinion and I am well aware that I am in very slim minority here.[/quote]

This is the Internet because your opinion does not agree with mine, your sir are wrong.

[quote name='Wombat']I did play the demo. I am not wrong, I just didn't like it, it is my opinion and I am well aware that I am in very slim minority here.[/quote]

lol damned if you do... damned if you don't....

i'm surprised there hasn't been hating on your comments on the 360.. not that I don't agree with you..

[quote name='CheapyD']Well, I saw it with the commercials edited out, so it was only 1hr 20 minutes of that shit.[/quote]
oh well thats ok then. just kidding, it was still shit. I must say Lost has been good this season. See if you can download that show, I bet you'd like it. Also, Battlestar should be starting up again soon.

aren't you always the minority? ;)

Wombat I agree completely, I picked up my demo for God Of War PSP and they tossed me the demo disk for Patapon and Pursuit Force also because they had a bunch. I hated Patapon, I found it to be completely unfun and I wish I could have the 30 minutes of my life back that I wasted on that shit. Just one more time the people at Gamestop screwed me!

As for rocksolid, I find it humerous that anybody associated with 1up would discuss gaming journalism and the difficulty in finding good writers. 1up is by far one of the worst gaming websites and their associated magazines are horrible. I used to listen to their podcast, but it was horrible fanboy ranting at it's worst. They aren't journalists whatsoever.

And reviewers are a dime a dozen, anybody can play a game and write a review of the game as long as they have an elementary grasp of the english language. Game journalists are few and far between and most certainly are not employed by 1up. They have reviewers, but associating the title journalist to any of their writers is an insult to journalists everywhere. N'gai is one of the few actual game journalists out there. Writers for gamespot, 1up and the likes could be called writers and reviewers, but are absolutely not journalists.

Journalism - gathering and reporting news

Occasionally the writers will report news, but they most certainly aren't gathering it.

Maybe rocksolid is right in one thing though, it must be hard to find good game journalist, because 1up doesn't have any.

Cheapy, I thought you were kind of hard on Sony again in the news section. They are acknowledging the fact that the XMB isn't there and that it should be by poking fun at themselves. I don't think MS was trying to make fun of themselves when they had their 360 RRoD on the floor at GDC.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Merry Christmas! Its Val Kilmer! He's car-sized now....
Val%20Kilmer.jpg
293.kilmer.val.100407.jpg
[/quote]
Bruce Wayne really let himself go...

I have listened to the past two podcasts, and I feel I must correct some misinformation spoken about Hi-Def Media.

First off, the reason no Spielberg movies are out besides Close Encounters is become quite simply, he won't let them. Most of his movies are Universal and Paramount, and he prefers Blu-ray, so he didn't want his movies exclusive to HD-DVD. The other main reason is, the install base isn't great enough for him to want to release his movies and he didn't want people to not see his movies. Now could this change with Blu-ray winning? Maybe, but time will only tell. Most likely the new Indiana Jones will be his 2nd movie out after Close Encounters.

2nd, The statement that with old movies Hi-def media doesn't matter is an insult to the studios who have taken the time to release stellar transfers of classic movies. Is an old movie ever going to wow you like a Crank? No, but can they provide a stellar upgrade over DVD? Most certainly. Just watch Blade Runner, The Searchers, Casablanca, All the Stanly Kubrick movies, Superman, The Deer Hunter, Blazzing Saddles, and numerous other classic movies released in Hi-def all are great transfers.

3rdly, Digital Distribution will NOT be a main factor any time in the near future. Right now downloading a 5gb Hi-def movie off of Xbox Live takes forever. Imagine a 1080p video that isn't as compressed with better audio? The broadband penetration in the nation isn't near great enough in this country for DD to be a factor, and in addition, most of the Broadband connections in America aren't even fast enough to make HD-movie rentals worth it as well. As Wombat as stated with games in regards to PSN and XBLA downloads, people will always want the physical media. Wombat thinks there are DRM issues with games, imagine what they will do with movies.

I was thinking, don't ever tell your kids how you met their mom. Something about mom getting plastered and making out with you at a wedding or meeting her for the first time while on E in some cab aren't exactly the best stories for their ears.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I was thinking, don't ever tell your kids how you met their mom. Something about mom getting plastered and making out with you at a wedding or meeting her for the first time while on E in some cab aren't exactly the best stories for their ears.[/QUOTE]

I whole heartedly disagree. if anything both of you should embellish and tell the kids they moms couldnt wait to get the Dong treatment. YAaaa Boy !!!! Be like "YO, your mom was faded and i busted out my level 70 Staff Of Hoe'in. Biattcchh... Shit was over."

..sorry

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']3rdly, Digital Distribution will NOT be a main factor any time in the near future. Right now downloading a 5gb Hi-def movie off of Xbox Live takes forever. Imagine a 1080p video that isn't as compressed with better audio? The broadband penetration in the nation isn't near great enough in this country for DD to be a factor, and in addition, most of the Broadband connections in America aren't even fast enough to make HD-movie rentals worth it as well. As Wombat as stated with games in regards to PSN and XBLA downloads, people will always want the physical media. Wombat thinks there are DRM issues with games, imagine what they will do with movies.[/quote]

What about hd movies via cable on-demand?
The funny thing is that broadband penetration percentage and households with HD TVs are are about the same (around 20%).

I didn't think the latest Kubrick transfers were anything special. Didn't look that much better than DVD to me. Certainly not the jump that VHS to DVD was.

Glad to hear that mrs. Wombat is playing Endless Ocean. There are some CAG's who really like it, myself included. I bought it the day it came out. If she is having problems getting bored, she should listen to podcats or music while playing it. I've listened to CAGForeplay and the CAGcast while playing it, makes it a little less tiring.
Right before I strated the CAGCast this morning i was listening to a podcast about sharks at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was really weird to hear them sign off and then hear the Knight Rider theme right after that. I was like how did they get the rights to that?

Cheapy, I had problems with my PSP seemingly quickly losing batter power when not in use. I discovered that I just wasn't fully turning it off. I know you have more experience with the platform than I do, but just in case...

I have to hold my switch fully up for multiple seconds to actually turn it off. Otherwise, I guess it goes into some sleep state. If I come back to it after any length of time (a week) the battery is dead.

:lol: I loved Wombat's stab at Cheapy over the real/fake blacks statement.

I'm surprised Cheapy forgot about Nintendo bundling the new Mario Kart with the wheel when they announced that at the same E3 last year where you were featured in the myriad of web videos about Nintendo.

I thought the in-shirt XMB shirts were funny and a nice sign that Sony can take a joke with all of things people make fun of them about.

:lol: I find it funny that Cheapy took until now to download the Japanese demo of PixelJunk Monsters instead of doing it before the price increase, when Sony told you that it was a limited price.

I'm not sure I got why you didn't really like Patapon, Wombat. Was it that it was more in-depth than you expected from the gameplay or that you didn't expect as much rhythm involvement?

I see that Cheapy used some list that wasn't completely true for the PSN portion of the show, as there was nothing Pain-related up on the PS Store, but there was a God of War PSP demo that was the most useful part of the update for me. I'm not sure when you guys recorded that you couldn't get the official list, but you should try to get the official word on what's actually out in the future.

I guess you guys must have a weird sense of timing for sequels, as you were both surprised that Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2 are coming out this fall, which was pretty much expected for me.

bread's done
Back