Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for PSP $29.99 @ Amazon

Just about to post this. It's a great game and worth full price. At $30 it's about as good a deal as you're going to get (without buring from individual sellers) since NIS games aren't usually printed in very big runs...

I say its a steal at 30, 20-25 is hard to come by on the disgaea series even on the ps2 series. They even get more expensive as time goes on, but I'm sure the PSP version will be around for awhile. I was on the fence about buying it for 40 when I have 1 and 2 on the ps2. For 30 i might pick it up because its a great game and get it now dood!

Sucks... I bought this over a month ago on Amazon thinking it wouldn't go down! Every time I buy something thinking it won't go down, it does. When I don't buy thinking it will go down, it doesn't. :p

[quote name='monstericreated']Sucks... I bought this over a month ago on Amazon thinking it wouldn't go down! Every time I buy something thinking it won't go down, it does. When I don't buy thinking it will go down, it doesn't. :p[/quote]

I try to only buy when they have a sale!

I'm sure a lot of people here on CAG are like that :)

I ordered on a few days ago when I noticed the price. $30 is probably the lowest this will go before it disappears. When it takes amazon a few weeks to get it in you know that stock is getting low.

In for a 100!!!

Seriously, this game is kind of getting hard to find online. It's only a matter of time before it goes OOS. I would have to buy the bundle to get it from the NISA store, which runs around $60 + shipping. I guess I could call and order a stand-alone copy, but it will still be $40 + shipping.

I picked one up at $30 because it's probably the best deal I'm gonna get on a new one.

I also got a $20 GCN controller. Unfortunately, I am still awaiting the fate of my Wii. I'm hoping it's not damaged from the mini-flood in my house. :pray:

I am currently playing through the original on PS2. Are the content additions (content wise only, not the portability aspect of it) to the PSP version worth it? If so, I may try selling my copy of the game for the PSP one.

Nice find, btw OP.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I am currently playing through the original on PS2. Are the content additions (content wise only, not the portability aspect of it) to the PSP version worth it? If so, I may try selling my copy of the game for the PSP one.

Nice find, btw OP.[/quote]

I've played through the original on the PS2 and honestly think it's such a quality game that I'd pick up the PSP version even if it was a straight port. At 30 bucks, it's totally worth it, imo.

[quote name='NeoStrider']it'll probably go OOP before it reaches $20[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rodeojones903']I ordered on a few days ago when I noticed the price. $30 is probably the lowest this will go before it disappears. When it takes amazon a few weeks to get it in you know that stock is getting low.[/QUOTE]

I see.....
This deal is tempting.

Are the new contents worth it?
I beat Disgaea 1 on the ps2.
Should I play it again on the psp?

Thanks for the input, nathansu. Disgaea isn't a game that's meant to just be "beaten" though. It's a completionist's wet dream. The main game itself isn't all that lengthy/exceptional imo. I actually prefer Final Fantasy Tactics over it in this sense, albeit I do love the whimsical nature and humor of the game. BUT, the post game content/customization/stat whoring you can do is just ridiculous. With all the time I am going to sink into the PS2 version (just "beat" it at 60 hours, plan to tinker around til hopefully around the 200 mark which for me would be the first time ever doing that...the closest thing I can think of to doing that is beating FF6 from scratch 5 times; I usually hate level grinding).185,000 possible stored levels of transmigration still makes me cry.

With that being said, I just think I may be too burned out of the game after I spend so much time with it that a secondary edition may be excessive for me. Not to mention that I do already plan to pick up Disgaea 3, regardless, when it launches later this year.

[quote name='darkcecil32']
With that being said, I just think I may be too burned out of the game after I spend so much time with it that a secondary edition may be excessive for me. Not to mention that I do already plan to pick up Disgaea 3, regardless, when it launches later this year.[/quote]

Oh absolutely - I couldn't agree more.

Putting all excessiveness aside, my methodology for buying titles that are ported as mostly a re-hash on a handheld is as follows. There are a hand full of developers in the entire world that produce wonderful niche titles like this. By buying a title I may have already exhaustively played on another console I am getting mostly the same thing, but I'm also helping to keep the developer's doors open for that much longer. This, in my opinion, is worth my hard earned dollar.

Vote with your wallet as they say, no?

Yea I totally agree with supporting causes like that. That's the only reason I've ever bought an excessively/inflated priced anime dvds. As much as I do hate the pricing structure, I want to support the industry as much as I feasibly can. I will never regret buying dvd's for GTO, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop.

I just got this for $30 this past week at my local Best Buy. I know it is getting hard to find. I am only paying a little more than if I waited for this deal, but I have the game in hand and it is sweet. Check your local Best Buys if you miss out on this deal.

[quote name='expane']high price for a PSP port of a PS2 game that can be bought new and sealed for $29.... I don't get it[/quote]

Where?

Rosenqueen has only 6 copies of the PS2 Disgaea: Hour of Darkness left right now. They aren't going to last long...

[quote name='Kendal']I might have to buy that. But having a portable lets me play it at home or anywhere. I wonder if shipping would kill the deal.[/quote]

Just placed an order and it cost $32.62 shipped to New Jersey. An extra buck or two for priority, but I chose Media Mail.

I've wanted to try this because of the ridiculously awesome reviews, but I tend not to like most tactical RPGs (even though I *can* absolutely love the genre). Most are too complex or hard for me, and I'm not sure I'd like this game's theme...

ships 2-3 weeks, ugh. I'd rather buy a used one at eb for about $3 more.

[quote name='Apossum']ships 2-3 weeks, ugh. I'd rather buy a used one at eb for about $3 more.[/quote]

i guess it all comes down to wanting it sealed or opened...i'm sure used is fine, but I had never picked up a Disgaea game until last night...i'm a little iffy on it's gameplay.

I got Disgaea 2 at kmart for $10 and finally played it...i think it makes the game worth it if those penguins that say "dood" are in it.

Question for anyone actually gets this/has already played it: is etna's alternate storyline available right off the bat, or do you have to beat the main story mode first? And also, is etna's new storyline like a new "main game" in and of itself (ala 12-15 episodes) or just a quick romp. Depending on that, I may just break down and buy this game.

I bought it for 36.99 free shipping and no tax from newegg a while back... can't bring myself to play it though :(

[quote name='darkcecil32']Question for anyone actually gets this/has already played it: is etna's alternate storyline available right off the bat, or do you have to beat the main story mode first? And also, is etna's new storyline like a new "main game" in and of itself (ala 12-15 episodes) or just a quick romp. Depending on that, I may just break down and buy this game.[/quote]

You can enter a code at the main menu to start in etna mode. IIRC it is 5 episodes long.

bread's done
Back