PS3 game uncompressed audio list.

Sarang01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Since Chac brought it up with his DMC4 review I wanted to compile a list of what games contain it. So far I know of two.

PS3 games with PCM(All titles listed are 7.1 unless otherwise noted. To avoid any confusion "THX stamp" just means THX certified):

1942 Joint Strike(PSN)-un4gvn2
All Pro Football 2K8-un4gvn2
Bionic Commando-un4gvn2
Black Site Area 51-un4gvn2
Blazing Angels-un4gvn2
Calling All Cars(PSN)
Cash Guns Chaos(PSN)-un4gvn2
Clive Barker's Jericho-un4gvn2
College Hoops 2K8-un4gvn2
Conflict: Denied Ops-un4gvn2
Dark Sector-un4gvn2
Dirt
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars-un4gvn2
Folklore
Genji(confirmed, got info from NeoGAF thread which had info from Sony board thread)(user Craiji)
Go Sports Skiing(PSN)-un4gvn2
Go Sports Skydiving(PSN)-un4gvn2
Grid-un4gvn2
GT5 Prologue-InfamousM
Hail to the Chimp-un4gvn2
Haze-un4gvn2
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds-Craiji
Iron Man-un4gvn2
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men-un4gvn2
Lair(THX stamp, thanks to un4gvn2 here)
MLB 08 The Show(THX stamp)
MLB 2K7-un4gvn2
MLB 2K8-un4gvn2
Monster Madness: Grave Danger-un4gvn2
Motorstorm
NBA 08(THX stamp)-un4gvn2
NBA 2K8-un4gvn2
NHL 2K8-un4gvn2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2(5.1 PCM)
Nucleus(PSN)-(Iceman-X
Oblivion-Craiji
Overlord: Raising Hell-un4gvn2
Pain(PSN)(THX stamp)-Infamous X
Ratchet and Clank
Resistance (THX stamp)
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy(THX stamp)-un4gvn2
Sega Rally Revo-un4gvn2
Siren: Blood Curse-Craiji
Snakeball-un4gvn2
Super Stardust HD-alisound
The Darkness-un4gvn2
Timeshift-un4gvn2
Top Spin 3-nnyanks
Turok-un4gvn2
Uncharted
Virtua Fighter 5-(Iceman-X
Virtua Tennis 3-un4gvn2
Wall-E(-un4gvn2
Warhawk (THX stamp)

Feel free to list others and I'll add them to the list. Any games with minimal differences between the PS3 and 360 versions that have this as the difference I will buy the PS3 version as I want Lossless audio if it's a choice between one with and one without. It's a big buying factor for me.
edit(1/22/2009): Any new listings with credit not given to any specific person, credit is given to both NeoGAF and the Sony boards.
edit(11/04/2009): Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 has been added. This was added after I checked the back of the box and on the audio it specifically lists "5.1 Linear PCM".

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Lair has PCM as well...

this is a good topic, though. Well... for the caviar-eating crowd with fancy HT setups.

DMC4 does not have PCM audio. This has been confirmed on a few threads at AVS as well as on my system.

Resistance, Lair, Uncharted and Ratchet all have 7.1 PCM and each sound amazing.

There are a couple of us on CAG with PS3's hooked up to current HDMI receivers. Perhaps a few of us should create a master thread.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']How can one tell if uncompressed audio is supported? Is it on the box somewhere?[/quote]Rarely does a game tell you.
I just go by what my receiver tells me.

[quote name='dallow']Rarely does a game tell you.
I just go by what my receiver tells me.[/QUOTE]

Dallow could they also use Dolby TrueHD if space was an issue or would the game graphic's and so on be too taxing in addition to the decoding of a Lossless codec as well.

[quote name='Sarang01']Dallow could they also use Dolby TrueHD if space was an issue or would the game graphic's and so on be too taxing in addition to the decoding of a Lossless codec as well.[/quote]That's something I've thought about but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Since TrueHD is like a zipped version of the PCM audio, I don't know if it can unzip all the dynamic sound effects that games make on the fly.

With standard DD and DTS, it was just a matter of the sound being recorded at a lower quality and played back, but there's an extra process with TrueHD.

Not sure though.

[quote name='dallow']That's something I've thought about but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Since TrueHD is like a zipped version of the PCM audio, I don't know if it can unzip all the dynamic sound effects that games make on the fly.

With standard DD and DTS, it was just a matter of the sound being recorded at a lower quality and played back, but there's an extra process with TrueHD.

Not sure though.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the info. We need to just support and demand this wholeheartidly. It was enough bullshit Sony and others dragged their heels and only the XBox gave us real 5.1 in the last generation. We need to make sure most all PS3 titles include it and make a big enough deal that Nintendo and MS will be SHAMED into doing this the next generation.
Frankly I'm FED UP as a gamer being one step behind the movie industry in this type of stuff.

[quote name='Thomas96']can you guys really tell the difference when its PCM?[/quote]

Hell yes!

My friends can't though. Then again they don't listen to my setup every single day like I do. Most of them don't have a developed ear when it comes to audio.

[quote name='Thomas96']can you guys really tell the difference when its PCM?[/quote]

Thats like asking can you tell the difference between 5.1 and a CD. ;)

[quote name='mtxbass1']Hell yes!

My friends can't though. Then again they don't listen to my setup every single day like I do. Most of them don't have a developed ear when it comes to audio.[/QUOTE]

Even if you've got an untrained ear, I still think there's a noticeable difference between the two. A lot of it has to do with the speakers you're pumpin' dat sound outta, of course.

[quote name='Sarang01']I remember it being planned on. Another reason why it's preferable to buy the PS3 version over the 360 one.[/quote]

yes, i will definitely buy the PS3 MGS4 over the 360 version :roll:

[quote name='DestroVega']yes, i will definitely buy the PS3 MGS4 over the 360 version :roll:[/QUOTE]

Why not? If they're equal, with the PS3 version having Lossless, that's enough for me to buy the PS3 version. The achievement in NO WAY for me trumps Lossless period.
edit: Does Uncharted have Lossless?

[quote name='Sarang01']Why not? If they're equal, with the PS3 version having Lossless, that's enough for me to buy the PS3 version. The achievement in NO WAY for me trumps Lossless period.
edit: Does Uncharted have Lossless?[/quote]

MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive. And i somehow doubt it has PCM, the opening of MGS Online has a large Dolby Digital logo =(

Uncharted does.

I don't know about MGS4 though. :(
Every game features the Dolby Digital logo, but it's huge on that game.

[quote name='blitz6speed']MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive. And i somehow doubt it has PCM, the opening of MGS Online has a large Dolby Digital logo =([/QUOTE]

What type of disc is the demo even on? Let's not just assume because the online beta has it that's all we'll get for it.

[quote name='62t']the demo isnt on a disc, it is DLC[/QUOTE]

Nuff said. Who knows how much extra space the DLC would take if it included PCM. I wouldn't include it possibly because of that if I was Konami.
Also can someone confirm or prove false Genji has PCM? I put it on the list with a question mark figuring it might have that considering it's a Sony game and all the others seem to have it pretty much.
That adds another question. Does Hot Shots have it? What about GT5P and Warhawk?

[quote name='hankmecrankme']My Onkyo 605 tells me that GTAIV has 5.1 PCM. I don't know if it is real PCM, or dumped Dolby Digital 5.1 into 5.1 PCM, though.[/quote]
This is why I can't comment anymore on which games really use LPCM or lossy soundtracks.

It's impossible to know.

The best I hope for is good sound design. A lossy soundtrack can trump an uncompressed one of the sound design is superior.

Some games actually bitstream Dolby Digital so it actually shows up as that on the receiver (like PJ Monsters), but it seems most convert it to PCM and send it out.
Unless devs tell us it does, when they use it as a selling point, we can't know.

Yeah, it sucks. I do agree that sound design is the better factor. Shit, Metroid Prime sounds awesome, and that's just PLII. Don't get me started on old school games, which I love.

Bump. Updating the list from info I got from NeoGAF which was gotten from Sony boards. Appropriate credit is added like NeoGAF did.
One big thing of note in my opinion is that "The Darkness" is PCM. Also Call Of Duty 4 is too but no users name was cited for it.
edit: Can anyone tell me if Motorstorm 2 is PCM or not? Oh and seeing some of these titles I've added, especially low budget affairs like "Dark Sector" which I believe was published by D3 here I'd argue there's no excuse for bigger game companies not to take advantage of the larger space of BR and just use uncompressed audio. Cases and companies of note: Namco Bandai-"Eternal Sonata", Take-Two(-"Bioshock", Capcom-"Devil May Cry 4", Ubi-Soft(-"Prince Of Persia", EA-"Dead Space", "Mirror's Edge", etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is me double posting but I'd like to get some confirms up as well as some new 3rd party stuff in general.
Where does Killzone 2 stack? I read on the Sony boards that someone suspected that it's PCM. I won't assume all 1st and 2nd party games do this and label as LBP doesn't have it.
So now I'm looking at Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and R&C: A Blink In Time? Can this be confirmed?

As far as Oblivion on the first page I read someone on the Sony blogs mentioning "Oblivion" is 6.1 matrixed up to 7.1 . Now what about Fallout 3? PCM and 7.1 ? Confirm?
I've heard Bioshock is actually just DTS or am I wrong? Is this actually 7.1 PCM? Some info here would definitely help.
Also it's not just 7.1 but rather ANY uncompressed games, including 5.1 . I had also read "Silent Hill: Homecoming" being 7.1 but over on the Sony blog. Confirm or deny this as uncompressed? Then mentioned as 5.1 it would be kicked over to Dolby Pro Logic II. Does this help at all?

Is there an updated version of this list anywhere? I wish the games put it on the back of the case like movies do...

[quote name='BladeZ']Is there an updated version of this list anywhere? I wish the games put it on the back of the case like movies do...[/QUOTE]
google?;)

[quote name='BladeZ']What do you think led me back to cag?? :)[/QUOTE]

You could try the two sources the OP used NeoGAF and the Sony boards.

Not much help, but I don't have any other suggestions than that. ;)

bread's done
Back