CAGcast #109: There's a Sucka Born Every Minute

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD's 2nd Xbox 360 bombs out so he spends time with Space Invaders Extreme (DS), Heavenly Sword (PS3) and solves Nintendo's online problem. Wombat gets dissed at Circuit City and sends for reinforcements. We also cover new releases, industry news, your CAGbag questions, and so much more!

Win Commanders: Attack of the Genos (XBLA)

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast109.mp3[/media]Download - 104 minutes, 48MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Pictures!

Downloading now, will listen to later tonight. Looks like a very full show tonight, judging by the outline.

Can't wait to listen. This is pretty much the only reason I was still up...that and re watching LOST again.

Wombat is becoming a dad? What a scary thing. Maybe he just wanted to copy CheapyD.
j/p
Congrats
Can't wait to have a kid one day.

Holy Shit!!! Congrats Wombat!!! I figured something was up when Ms. Wombat was sick for such a long time. That and the comment about empty rooms. Next it's Ms. Ship's turn.

Smodcast is awesome Wombat. That one was kinda weak but you should listen to SModcast 4: Can I Get a (Masturbatory) Witness? A certain someone you know gets a mention. 13 is a hardcore favorite of mine too.

Since your 360 is dead, try to finish some DS games you own like Hotel Dusk.

http://www.chocolatepartyhats.com/
One-EyedSpartan.jpg

Way to put a big smile on my face wombat! Congrats on the the mini you! Hope everything goes perfect...now to listen to the rest of the show.

I just started listening. Great music choice!

I will be first to say I call July 15th-17th for the Baby Wombat pool. Oh and congrats!

gratz on the baby wombat.
lol patapon has high ratings b/c they finish the game, but i do agree it should not be on portable game but its still amazing game.

Congratulations Wombat! Oh, and when can we expect our first Youtubed Tai/Wombat's offspring battle to the death video?

Just started listening, but I must say congratulations right now.

Last week when you were saying Mrs. Wombat was sick, that's where I had a feeling, but I didn't expect it to be this far along.

And again, congratulations on the mini-wombat.

congrats Wombats, a baby wombat is a blessing! Hey Cheaps , would you let Tai date Wombat's daughter, and or intermarry? how do you feel about having Wombat as part of the family? Buy an external HD wombat, it will cost you 2 next gen games and be worth it. BTW you can rip an ipod, just google it. Cheapy just pick up the US ps3 version of Rockband, its compatible.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. Congratulation's to the Wombat's!

I'll listen to the rest when I leave my house.

I had a feeling this was going to be announced, it was the choice of music and the title of 'cast.

Anyway, congratulations Wombat and Mrs. Wombat! And as it's already been said, guess it's time for the Shipwrecks to have a little crumb cruncher of their own. Having kids is the new in thing.

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Wombat! Wonder if there will be a CAGcast with lil CheapyT and lil Wombat G(irl) in the future.

Hey Wombat I recall you mentioning the quality of the schools when you were discussing some details about your decision to move. I knew something was up. I am very happy for you and Mrs Wombat I think you two will make great parents. Congrats. And as far as people asking if you're disappointed about having a girl. Don't be, girls are great(I have two, 22 months and 8) and the most important thing is health. 10 fingers and 10 toes etc. Keep up the good work, who knows you may get an opportunity to work from home like Cheapy.

Got to say Wombat's on fire with this cagcast.

I absolutely loved:
- "I bought the last one yesterday, sucka!" (I picture the CC employee as wearing a "Warriors" outfit, but with the red shirt)
- Take Two as EA's chocolate hat
- XTreme Space Invaders featuring a Mountain-Dew shooting snowboard

Also, congrats on the baby!

OMG WOMBAT DON'T ALWAYS LIFT UP UR FOOT!! ALWAYS REST IT DOWN ON THE PEDAL i'm so good at the drum in rock band! if u need lesson message me

CONGRATS TO WOMBAT and MRS. WOMBAT!

so uh, is Cheapy and Wombat gonna do an arranged marriage for the kids? huhu :p

btw Cheapy, i'm still on my first 360, muhaha, luck is on my side. :)

I liked Space invaders extreme for the PSP (mostly in English actually not too much Japanese in it). The thing is that game is severely limited on fun I played it for all of 30 minutes. It's a game to play while literally being on the can only or while waiting for the subway or something but the fun factor is short.

Still feel bad for CheapyD and his rotten luck with Xbox 360s. Will add more later...

Congrats Wombat and Mrs Wombat, good luck to you both.

Cheapy your son might be ok hair wise as I believe your hair comes from your maternal grandparent, so check what your wifes father's hair was like.

Wombat,

Congratulations! I have a one-year old and its starts off very hard but it gets better. I have a question for you. You mentioned that you download free tv content like HBO, etc..., where did you get that from? I need that. Let me know. I can stream from my PC to my 360 and watch things like that on the big screen.

Wombat, i totally agree, i like the iFanboy podcast as well. i hope you also watch the video podcast of their show too. it's pretty funny and informative.

btw Wombat, can you do a little comic feature near the end of each show. i just like listening to your comic geekiness coming out. it'll give you something to produce for the show as well. :)

Good job on making a baby wombat....

The show was good, remote play works anywhere there is a wifi connection. That means anywhere in the WORLD.

Listening right now, congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Wombat!

Also, I think Wombat might of been thinking of a baby aspirator, which is typically a blue squeezie thing that looks like a sea shell used to "suck out" baby boogers.

Congrats to Wombat on the new wombaby!

Wanted to make a comment on Cheapy's digital distribution remark for HD movies.

Anything can change in a few years but I think physical media for HD movies will still be a more acceptable form of distribution for the format in the near future.

Comparing music to movies just isn't quite the same. For one, the quality of a movie is more important. While most people are more then happy with lower quality MP3s for music, I think more people are a bit more discerning when it comes to movies. Most of the time you passively listen to music, you're doing something else: driving, reading a magazine, on the phone, cleaning the house, etc. Movies on the other hand are more demanding so a subpar HD picture & sound may not be as acceptable.

Another reason is the quality of HD downloads just does not compare to a Blu-ray transfer. With Blu-ray you get a high bitrate 50Gb transfer with lossless sound and extras in the form of deleted scenes/commentray/etc, HD downloads offer low bitrate 5Gb transfers with lossy sound with no additional content.

Another reason is people don't like buying CDs because for every one good song you get a quite a few not so good fillers. Digital music downloads is popular in part because they allow the user to pick and choose the songs they like. This doesn't really apply to movies.

That's not to say that digital distribution isn't a huge deal. In fact the market is realizing this and is now begining to include a digital copy of the films on the disc so that it can be transferred and accesed through your digital movie player.

Finally, it's important to note that there is no digital download service that actually allows you to keep the film. They are all rental services.

It'll be ineresting to see how different things will be in the next few years but I think the BD format has a chance to thrive for a good while longer, even if it doesn't ultimately reach the mass market of DVD.

Congrats Wombat. I feel happy & sorry for you at the same time. :lol:

BTW, the Contest link on the front page takes you to the Devil May Cry 4 contest.

Jazar stole a lot of my thunder on the HD-movie/music comparison -- I agree with him completely. I still buy music CDs of artists that I'm big fans of, but there are some artists out there that I only like one or two of their songs. For songs like that, iTunes is great. With movies, it obviously doesn't work like that.

Also, I think there's a difference between a song that takes up 4MB and a movie that takes up a few gigs.

On the digital distribution front and CheapyD mentioning AppleTV:

I'm aware that not everyone is a fan of Apple like I am, but you can get Apple TV starting at $229 and you can rent HD movies with Dolby Digital 5.1. Library titles are $2.99 for standard and $3.99 for HD and the new releases are $3.99 for standard and $4.99 for HD. You can also use it to watch Youtube videos, TV shows, listen to podcasts, blah blah blah. From what I've heard, sales topped out last year under 1 million, but that doesn't mean the product isn't good, and someone is buying these things. Their computers are great, but we know how small the market share probably is there.

Anyway, if I were to buy an HD digital distribution system, that's the direction I'd go.

Grats, Wombat

To Cheapy: PS3 is region-free for games. Pick up Rock Band for PS3, and you won't have to worry about your red-ring problems. Plus, the guitar is wireless in the PS3 package, and you can share your music downloads over up to 5 other PS3s.

Wow Cheapy, the talk about Heavenly Sword was enrapturing. Could you work in some Halo 2 talk next week? Or may be some Luigi's Mansion?

just finished the show, thanks for sharing your sex life Cheapy. that was hilarious, LOL...

listening to the show now while I'm typing this message, congrats Wombat and Mrs. Wombat on the successful upcoming replication!

[quote name='Wombat']it would be nice if [Trigger Heart Excelica] would fill up the whole screen too.[/quote]

I know you guys aren't uber game nerds, but I'd still expect you guys to know that the reason you have those bars on the side of the screen is because a normal screen is wider than it is tall and vertical shooters are designed for a monitor that is taller than it is wide (it's actually a monitor on it's side), this is known as Tate mode.

The only way to get it to fit on a screen full is to either squash it (which is a sin), cut off the top/bottom (which makes the game harder since you can't see enemies who are shooting at you, auto scroll it (which is annoying... it's like pan&scan in movies) or turn your monitor on its side (see Gunbird2 on the Dreamcast for all three options).

It's exactly like a movie and it's why a widescreen copy of a movie can be preferable to the fullscreen.

Danmaku shooters really require you seeing the whole game screen even if it means it doesn't fill your whole tv.

Hey Cheapy,

You mentioned in the podcast that Apple would eventually get into gaming, but not produce a console. WELL, back in 96, you may remember that Apple developed a console called the Pippin. It even ran Apple System7 and had a controller called the Applejack. It was overshadowed by the Saturn and Playstation and N64, and was a tremendous failure. I can imagine that a stumble like that would deter Apple from trying to enter a market dominated by Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, but then again, if there is a company that knows how to bounce back, it's apple.

For more on the Pippin, check out the Wikipedia entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Congrats on the baby, Wombat! That sitcom podcast I mentioned is sounding like more and more of a possibility...
"WJ! Why is your teacher calling me?!"
"I caw'd her a puh-jinah cwown..."
"That's Widdle Wombat!"

bread's done
Back