MVP Baseball 2005 (XBox) - $4.99 - New - Amazon.com

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

EA even dropped the NCAA baseball games. Can't blame them. Not much overall interest in collegiate baseball...not like basketball or football.

Anyway, if you're lucky enough to somehow find the PC version of this game for cheap (or, if you're the kind of person who resorts to "nefarious" software acquisition), get it! There are still communities (I use to go to MVPmods.com) that updates rosters, faces, uniforms, etc.

#32 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=$hady;4056042
Gamers should get a vote in who makes our sports games.

Football EA
Basketball 2K
Baseball EA
Golf EA
Hockey who cares lol I mean EA (not much of a hockey guy but I enjoy my NHL 07)[/QUOTE]

You do have a vote..don't buy the game and they might learn to stop cranking out crappy games or the next time the rights might go to a different company. Let your $$$ speak volumes :)

#33 jollydwarf

jollydwarf

America's #1 Poster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

For some reason Microsoft bought the High Heat license from 3DO and never did anything with it. What the hell was the point of that?

I wondered that, too, but finally came to this basic conclusion: they're Microsoft. Increasingly, I'm starting to think that outside of Live, they're really not sure what the Fuck they're doing.* And even their aforementioned 'trump card' isn't perfect, it would seem.

Given that we're pretty much halfway through the 360's projected lifespan, I'm going to go ahead and assume we won't be seeing any High Heat for the remainder of it, if ever again.

*--This is not to imply that their more 'direct' competitor has a much better vision at this moment. Nintendo, while we're on this tangent, has a tendency to be stubborn about their way, but a.) they at least stick to it and b.) it seems to be working out pretty well for them.
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#34 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

wondered that, too, but finally came to this basic conclusion: they're Microsoft. Increasingly, I'm starting to think that outside of Live, they're really not sure what the Fuck they're doing.* And even their aforementioned 'trump card' isn't perfect, it would seem.

Well, there is Live and making Bungie crank out Halo coupled with a small helmet that a normal human couldn't fit into, making the MSRP become obscenely high. But outside of that, you're right, Microsoft doesn't know what the Fuck their doing. if you look onto the first couple of year on the original Xbox, there are a lot of pretty good first party games. They had a pretty decent set of sports games (except for Inside Pitch, I hated that), and some original games that could have become big hits if they refined them: Voodoo Vince. Brute Force. Blinx. Kung Fu Chaos (why they chose to resurrect Fuzion Frenzy instead boggles to mind). Quantum Redshift. MechAssault. ANNNNNND on top of that, they had Sega bring a lot of their series' to the Xbox. Plus, buying Rare.... Yet, now with the 360, outside of Halo 3 and Live, they don't do anything. Except replace RROD'd 360s.

On topic: MVP does indeed kick ass. Actually, I decided to boot it up the other day as spring training got me into baseball mood. And it's still rocks. Though the next gen graphics I've been exposed to make the crowds seem evern worse than they used to.... That's one of the reasons I miss Acclaim. Their baseball games had very good looking crowds.

11317.png

#35 VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

Shark Barber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

EA even dropped the NCAA baseball games. Can't blame them. Not much overall interest in collegiate baseball...not like basketball or football.

Anyway, if you're lucky enough to somehow find the PC version of this game for cheap (or, if you're the kind of person who resorts to "nefarious" software acquisition), get it! There are still communities (I use to go to MVPmods.com) that updates rosters, faces, uniforms, etc.

Why should you spend $100 to get the game on eBay, and let some flipper profit? In this case, where the game is no longer being produced or supported, and you can't buy it new, I see nothing wrong with "pirating" it. EA would probably just be happy you enjoy their game, since they cannot profit off of it anymore.
Posted Image

#36 LilPaintballer

LilPaintballer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

updated rosters can be found everywhere. i use them but my copy recently broke <.<. and nfl 2k5 rosters are everywhere aswell, both amazing games.

#37 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

Why should you spend $100 to get the game on eBay, and let some flipper profit? In this case, where the game is no longer being produced or supported, and you can't buy it new, I see nothing wrong with "pirating" it. EA would probably just be happy you enjoy their game, since they cannot profit off of it anymore.

Did I say buy it on eBay? No. All I said was if you can get it cheap. Geez. Flippers and eBay are such a touchy subject on this board, people just introduce their annoyance over it when no has even mentioned anything about it.

#38 VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

Shark Barber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

I read a while back that 2K lost the NCAA license to EA so next year we get no GOOD college hoops game..... Bullshit if you ask me competition is good for gamers.

You read wrong. 2K decided to quit making their college hoops game because they felt the NCAA was charging them too much for the license, I guess.

"2K Sports has decided not to continue negotiations with the CLC for the license for its top-rated College Hoops franchise, which would have been released next in November 2008. We are committed to providing fans with high-quality, critically-acclaimed sports games, but given our disciplined approach to the business, we do not believe the current discussions would result in an acceptable outcome."

I like the part about being committed to providing fans with "high-quality" games. They are, except when it's a baseball game, which they hold exclusive 3rd party rights for. Then they don't care.
Posted Image

#39 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

For anybody that has this and an AR Max for PS2, someone on the GameFAQs boards is about to release updated rosters for the 2008 season.

pitfall_harry219.png

#40 anonymouswhoami

anonymouswhoami

CAG Hall of Fame

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

With EA attempting to buy 2K, we may yet get another MVP Baseball in the near future.

#41 Greendecko

Greendecko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

2K5? Really? "Curious."

And MVP 03 and 04 don't really represent a 'threat' to the 'current gen' games, hence their presence on the list.

I dunno if you just didnt see it or what, but it is listed as ESPN NFL 2K5
"It's Like I'm Assisting Suicide, Hate not Me, Hate your Weakness" - Iori Yagami KoF

Wii U - demondecko
Xbox Live Gamertag - GreenDecko
PSN Name - Demondecko

#42 dim2192

dim2192

CAG Veteran

• Banned

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

Why would anyone want this? Isn't it like a dollar at gamestop?
Posted Image

#43 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

^^I think it's $4 at Gamestop. And considering this is a sports game (meaning that a lot of people that simply don't care about gaming or "trade in etiquette" have played this), chances are any copy you get will be lacking something or heavily scratched. That, and just like the aforementioned ESPN NFL 2K5, it was one of the best sports games but didn't get to continue it's run. A lot of people would rather play a funner game with old rosters (or hacked updated rosters) than a meh game with new rosters.

11317.png

#44 ricoraney

ricoraney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:17 PM

Avoid paying shipping and get it for 4.99 at Sears in the frontlane section.

Exactly. I was about to say the same thing. This is a good game, but that price isn't that special anymore. Sears, Kmart, and Best Buy all have it for that price as well.

#45 ricoraney

ricoraney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

^^I think it's $4 at Gamestop. And considering this is a sports game (meaning that a lot of people that simply don't care about gaming or "trade in etiquette" have played this), chances are any copy you get will be lacking something or heavily scratched. That, and just like the aforementioned ESPN NFL 2K5, it was one of the best sports games but didn't get to continue it's run. A lot of people would rather play a funner game with old rosters (or hacked updated rosters) than a meh game with new rosters.

Yeah, I am one of them. I haven't played another NFL Football game since ESPN NFL 2k5. However, the only game I would say is worth buying every year, and no, I don't mean Madden, is the NBA 2k series. That has gotten better every year since it's inception. It has yet to make me go back to the previous versions. Whenever the new version comes out, I never play the older one ever again.

#46 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:29 PM

Exactly. I was about to say the same thing. This is a good game, but that price isn't that special anymore. Sears, Kmart, and Best Buy all have it for that price as well.

If you can find it. A game this old, it is no guarantee you will find a copy in store. This is good filler for someone looking to get free shipping or simply a good buy for anyone with Prime.

#47 BigC777

BigC777

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:40 AM

One thing I really like about MVP 2005 also is that even though it is not backwards compatible it does display in 720 P for all those with HD sets - just another nice little bonus the game offers.

#48 Sofa King Cheap

Sofa King Cheap

Sofa King Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:48 AM

If you can find it. A game this old, it is no guarantee you will find a copy in store. This is good filler for someone looking to get free shipping or simply a good buy for anyone with Prime.

Except that it's from Target.com :)

But, I agree with you...that shopping online is a quick and easy way to pick it up, while hunting for a 3 year old game (still sealed) would be a pain in store.
"Kyle, I have a full day of watching TV tomorrow. I don't have time to go on a poo hunt right now, okay?" -- a memorable quote from South Park's "A Very Crappy Christmas" episode

#49 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:08 AM

Except that it's from Target.com :)

Oops...my bad. I ought to read before I speak. But yeah, finding MVP 2005 sealed certainly isn't a guarantee.

#50 jollydwarf

jollydwarf

America's #1 Poster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:08 AM

I dunno if you just didnt see it or what, but it is listed as ESPN NFL 2K5

I did not look under the "Es", so I did not see it. Point conceded. Apology submitted.

And if/when EA buys 2K, that'll be the 'Faustian' part of the deal: sure, we'll get our MVP back, but without the competition, it'll be more like an HD Triple Play 2002. Ouch.
"I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything."--Jessica Alba

Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at CRITICAL MASS...Backlog at...

"What, you're still here? The post's over. Log off. Shoo! Shoo!"

#51 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:37 AM

1st party developers can make their own MLB games. So, Sony can make them for the Sony systems, Microsoft for the 360, and Nintendo for their systems.

Thanks, did not know that.:applause:
Posted Image

#52 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:58 AM

Stores have restocked it, Sears clearanced it out around 2 years ago but got it again a few months ago with the generic $4.99 sticker on it. I don't know how they re-printed it with EA not having the license anymore unless they found a ton of old copies to ship as frontlane games

#53 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

Stores have restocked it, Sears clearanced it out around 2 years ago but got it again a few months ago with the generic $4.99 sticker on it. I don't know how they re-printed it with EA not having the license anymore unless they found a ton of old copies to ship as frontlane games

I haven't seen a copy in forever, and I always check out clearance areas and front ends. It's an old game. There are no guarantees of finding it in a store.