Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3181 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm 13% into the first book and really loving it so far. Easy to read, has a cool magic based system, and some majorly scary sounding 'steel inquisitor' guys (brutes with railroad spikes in their eyes) that hunt magic users.

I keep meaning to start this. I've enjoyed other things by Sanderson.
One stand alone book (whose title I can't remember at 7:30) and the giant 1200 page book that was the first volume of Age of Kings (?)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3182 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Maklershed, you were asking a while back about books about space exploration.

Today's Kindle deal of the day looks to be that type of book.

http://www.amazon.co...kindleboards-20

#3183 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah I saw that. I wonder if its good. I guess for the price though it doesn't much matter.

Posted Image

#3184 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

Finished up Marine Sniper (which was great btw) and have gone back to Manhunt for my hard copy side of things.

Posted Image

#3185 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Finished up the second book of the Horus Heresy series. Much better than I expected. Still pulpy sci fi but well written and very entertaining. I was going to start something else but the ending made me want to keep going.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3186 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

That's good to know. I think I'll start that after I finish up Game of Thrones. The cheesiness will be a nice change of pace.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3187 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

That's good to know. I think I'll start that after I finish up Game of Thrones. The cheesiness will be a nice change of pace.

Yeah, the writing isn't cheesy, but the universe sorta is. I've read my share of Star Wars EU novels and I'd say these are better by a good margin.

#3188 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

I finished The last hero, and Son of Neptune recently.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#3189 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

Got The Wind Through the Key Hole by King and liking it so far. First book I have bought on day one since Simmon's Flashback came out.
Posted Image

#3190 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I loved both protagonists (Hiro and Y.T.) and the dialogue was fantastic. All the Sumerian religion hyperbole was great as well. The ending was a little sketchy, but I can live with that.

Starting Hyperion by Dan Simmons now per a suggestion from a Goodreads sci-fi/fantasy group.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3191 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hyperion is the best sci-fi book I've ever read, and the only one with a satisfying ending.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3192 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

You mean the series? Cause I don't recall there being a conclusive ending at all to Hyperion. If I remember correctly
Spoiler

Posted Image

#3193 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

You mean the series? Cause I don't recall there being a conclusive ending at all to Hyperion. If I remember correctly

Spoiler

Yea, I'm speaking of the Cantos, so Hyperion + Fall Of Hyperion. Reading the whole thing makes for an incredible story.

#3194 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hyperion is the best sci-fi book I've ever read, and the only one with a satisfying ending.

Simmons almost gets there again with Ilium and Olympos but falls a little short
Posted Image

#3195 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

It's been maybe 20 years since I've read Hyperion/Edymion whatever those books were. Pretty sure I read them in high school from the library. Should go back and read them now from an older perspective, but I won't.

Currently reading:

Posted Image

(Just the book on the right. Amazon didnt have a singular picture) Moorcock's Eternal Champion swords and sorcery stuff.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3196 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Currently reading:

Posted Image

(Just the book on the right. Amazon didnt have a singular picture) Moorcock's Eternal Champion swords and sorcery stuff.

Loved these books when I was in middle and high school. Nothing special but real solid fantasy.

#3197 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto by David Kushner

Posted Image

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#3198 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Starting Hyperion by Dan Simmons now per a suggestion from a Goodreads sci-fi/fantasy group.

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons is one of my favorite horror novels of all time.

#3199 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Put Manhunt to the side briefly to read...

Posted Image
The Silent Sea by Clive Cussler

#3200 dtcarson

dtcarson

No cute in-joke here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

I really liked the Hyperion cantos. I know it was a lot deeper, allegorically, than I was reading into it.

For me:
Posted Image

Posted Image
and

Posted Image
Yes it looks like a Harlequin cover but that's not all that's in there.

#3201 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Finished Against the Light. It was just ok. Seems like it's the start of a series, but doubt I'll bother with any future books.

Now reading:

Posted Image

#3202 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

I mostly read classic literature and sci-fi, right now I'm deciding on steampunk or cyberpunk. Either Infernal Devices by K. W. Jeter or Neuromancer by Gibson.

This is on my list maybe I should bump it up a few spots.

#3203 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

I mostly read classic literature and sci-fi, right now I'm deciding on steampunk or cyberpunk. Either Infernal Devices by K. W. Jeter or Neuromancer by Gibson.
This is on my list maybe I should bump it up a few spots.

I just finished Chapter/Part one of Hyperion. It's really great stuff so far. Has some stuff you really wouldn't expected in Science Fiction.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3204 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

I just finished Chapter/Part one of Hyperion. It's really great stuff so far. Has some stuff you really wouldn't expected in Science Fiction.

Good to hear I love me some sci-fi. My list is 20+ (sci-fi alone, with novels and novellas) so this will certainly go up a few places. Really need to get back on Goodreads when I was reading a lot.

#3205 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

River of Gods by Ian McDonald

I'm about a quarter of the way through the book, and I still can't really give an opinion about it. I'm hoping the story picks up at some point, because even being in as far as I am, I couldn't even give a basic plot summary.

#3206 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

After watching the recent Masterpiece production of Great Expectations I've decided to finally read the book ...

Posted Image
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Posted Image

#3207 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

I just picked up dune and dune messiah for 2 bucks at my local habitat for humanity re-store. Great place to check every now and then, they even had a bunch of classics and some more good sci-fi.

#3208 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

After watching the recent Masterpiece production of Great Expectations I've decided to finally read the book ...

I watched it too. Gillian Anderson was good in that. At first she struck me as too young looking, but it didn't matter. She got the twisted, creepy, controlling spinster thing locked down.

The experience took me back to reading GE chapter by chapter in English class in junior high. What I remember best is how the teacher would insist that we read certain passages aloud as a class, and you'd get to hear twenty different pronunciations of words every time we'd hit a surname.

I also remember that the girl who sat in front of me in that class had an incredible set. Literature was good to me that year.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3209 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I watched it too. Gillian Anderson was good in that. At first she struck me as too young looking, but it didn't matter. She got the twisted, creepy, controlling spinster thing locked down.

I know she was supposed to look crazy and disheveled and what not but I thought that was a great look for Gillian Anderson. She should always dress up as a young Miss Havisham. :drool: :lol:

Posted Image

#3210 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

Not too bad so far. Has a little bit too much of a "wink and a nod" to things. "Oh look, they're just figuring out to use fingerprints!"

MC-2SD-Out.png<