Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3301 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Closet I've ever come to reading prize winning literature was that Oscar Wao book by Junot Diaz and Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Chaborn.

Both were tangentially geek related, so that's my execuse.

Only 300 pages or so into House of Chains. Can hopefully finish it over my trip later this week. Have to keep a wiki open while reading in order to remember all these characters and keep them straight.
http://malazan.wikia...:Founding_races

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3302 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Finished Catching Fire a couple days ago. Liked the series as a whole, but the ending was a little anti-climatic.

Started:

Posted Image

#3303 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Finished Bleak House and started The Dog Stars

Posted Image
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Posted Image

#3304 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Finished Blindness and started The Killer Angels

Hard copy
Posted Image
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

Posted Image

#3305 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm about half way through Dance with Dragons, anybody have any recommendations of similar works? I got used to reading one book after the other, looks like it's going to be a while before I can read the next.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#3306 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

I heard In the Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are really good books somewhat similar in style.

Currently reading the Artemis Fowl series, started it two weeks ago and already on book 7, good fun reads.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#3307 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

I just started The Last Colony by John Scalzi. So far I think I'm enjoying it more than The Ghost Brigades, which I found a little dry for Scalzi.

I'm about half way through Dance with Dragons, anybody have any recommendations of similar works? I got used to reading one book after the other, looks like it's going to be a while before I can read the next.

I seriously loved the Acacia trilogy. It's a fairly unknown series from a relatively unknown author, but I thought it was fantastic. It has what I found a really unique approach to magic and dragons, and considering the author's previous works were all historical fictions, an authentic feeling to the warfare. And, the best thing about it is the final book of the trilogy came out last year so you can finish it all right now without waiting years for the new book in the series!

#3308 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'm currently re-reading the Hobbit before the semester starts, and I am forced to read novels I would otherwise not read. And wow, I've completely forgotten how engaging a tale The Hobbit is.

Even the simplistic style of omnicient writing (something I abhor) brings so much life into the story, and not to mention the songs.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3309 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

I'll give those recommendations a look. I was looking through B&N's free selection and thought I'd re-read The Time Machine, haven't read that in years.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#3310 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

I just went through a tear of reading Charles Bukowski. He's basically a one trick pony, but I really like his trick and loved all his novels.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3311 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

KindlePosted Image The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

^Finished this today. Great book. I loved it. It's a post-apocalypse (virus) story about a man, his dog, and his militant friend who considers himself lucky to be living in the apocalypse. What I liked about this story was that unlike most PA it doesn't spend time describing the horrors of being left behind, or the mess and dead bodies, or how or why the apocalypse happened .. its about people surviving and defending themselves against other survivors. I'd definitely put it in my top 5 favorite PA books along with A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Postman, and World Made by Hand. I can't recommend this enough and hopefully I can convince some people in this thread it and spread the word.Anywho, since I finished that I'm now on to J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the SecretsPosted Image J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets by Curt Gentry

Posted Image

#3312 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Finished The Dark Monk the other day. Not quite as good as The Hangman's Daughter, but still entertaining and a solid sequel.

Now reading:

Posted Image

And this for work:

Posted Image

#3313 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Looking through some potential reads makes me realize just how long GRRM's books are. I mean some of the most well known and celebrated fiction isn't even half the length of some of the Ice and Fire books, no wonder it takes him forever to write them.

#3314 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Nearly a month later. Still on House of Chains.v
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0765348810

Granted the book is 1000 pages and I keep having to go back to http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malazan_Wiki to refresh my memory of previous characters.
With the previous books by the time I get to the last couple hundred pages is when I start devouring the book and finish within hours.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3315 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Reading http://www.goodreads...6.City_of_Ashes

#3316 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Reading Harry Potter Book 5-- Order of the Phoenix.

Anyone here on goodreads?

#3317 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Finishing up Bram Stoker's Dracula and starting Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3318 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Goodreads- gbpackers94

I've been reading A World Made by Hand and Breakfast of Champions. AWMBH is moving pretty slow (only like 5 chapters in) but I love BoC.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3319 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Goodreads- gbpackers94

I've been reading A World Made by Hand and Breakfast of Champions. AWMBH is moving pretty slow (only like 5 chapters in) but I love BoC.

I added you on goodreads (theu).

Currently reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

#3320 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Ready Player One. Good, easy read. A bit simple in premise... but overall enjoyable.
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#3321 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

I finished The Amber Spyglass a few days back and am really kicking myself for only getting to that now. Started on Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3322 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Currently reading Daemon by Daniel Suarez. It's sort of slow so far, but I think I'm getting to a point where things are picking up.

I read Jumper by Steven Gould prior to that. I saw commercials for the movie a while back, and the book really was nothing like I thought it would be, though I think that ended up being a really good thing. I ended up enjoying the book much more than I expected, but there is a part of me that is tempted to rent the movie just to see how much they ruined the book.

Not necessarily a spoiler, but I figured I'd hide it in case you want to avoid any opinions on how the book ends. I don't explicitly state anything, just give an opinion.

Spoiler

#3323 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Jumper is actually not that bad of a movie. I enjoyed it. Then again I went in with my expectations set to zero and I figured I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes.

Posted Image

#3324 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Trainspotting. Holy shit(e) it's good. Plus, most times I've read 'cunt' in one book. In pretty much every paragraph.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3325 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Ordered a new Kindle Paperwhite. It looks like a pretty sweet e-ink reader indeed. Too bad it won't ship until October 1st. :( Oh well.

Crunchewy.png

#3326 slofton

slofton

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Anyone get down on the 40k series? Currently reading "Fear to Tread"

#3327 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Ordered a new Kindle Paperwhite. It looks like a pretty sweet e-ink reader indeed. Too bad it won't ship until October 1st. :( Oh well.

I ordered one as well!

Now reading: City of Glass (Mortal Instruments #3)

#3328 piche666

piche666

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Now i'm reading the "Principito" Book!

Amazing... i recommend it!

eBay FeedBack: eBay Link
MercadoLibre FeedBack: Link
Users i have bought games to: Heavyd814life - Topaz - bastiartadi - cobolatrix - jimjones - harleymandvdson - Jokerkun890 - evilboi, etc...

#3329 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Finished J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets and started Leviathan Wakes

Posted Image
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Posted Image

#3330 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

http://www.amazon.co...y poul anderson

Starfarers by Poul Anderson

Hard Sci-Fi with lots of advanced concepts that I won't pretend to fully grasp. Very generic "international" characters with a pretty slow moving plot.
Quote from Kirkus Reviews on Amazon sums it up better than I could:
An episodic, disconcerting mix of mind-boggling ideas, thrilling storytelling, dull padding, and characters-by-numbers, set forth in Anderson's patented outlandish, antique prose:

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<