Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3361 squishface

squishface

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

What i'm currently reading while i'm not reading any of the gears of war books.
http://www.amazon.co...forrest griffin
Posted Image
"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!"

#3362 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thunderstruck is pretty good. Have you read Devil In The White City? If not definitely check that one out. I liked it a lot.

Indeed I have. It was great, I loved it and its why I got this :). Any more recommendations for books like that?

Posted Image

#3363 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey. It is different. I'm starting Herzog tonight.

If Fifty Shades tickled your fancy, then check out a much better (literary) S&M book: Pauline Réage's (Anne Desclos) "Story of O." She presents an interesting take on power roles ("topping from the bottom"). Anyway if you can stomach some pretty graphic eroticism its a good read especially if you're familiar with Hegelian dialectic.

#3364 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Currently reading on Kindle: First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, book 1)- Michael R. Hicks.

On paperback: Acacia: The War With the Mein (book 1): David Anthony Durham.

#3365 krevee

krevee

Missed The Boat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

I just bought the Humble eBook Bundle and read Old Man's War. It was a really good interesting Sci-fi novel, and I got it plus some other books in the bundle for 10 dollars I think it was pretty much worth it on that book alone.
Posted Image

#3366 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Just finished Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist which means it's now time to move onto This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong. It's the sequel to one of my favorite books so I'm looking forward to it.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3367 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Reading this because. I don't know, it was available on the library's new release page. Didn't realize it was a Forgotten Realms book. Haven't read one of those in probably 15 years or so.
It's very simple and straightforward. Easy reading at work.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3368 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Finished The Dog Stars and about to start Ashfall.

Btw, have read a few books on my paperwhite now. I've owned the K3, K4 (non touch), and now the paperwhite. Have to say this thing is amazing. The light is impressive and a wonderful addition. It's worth the price tag if you love reading. I was one of those people who thought they really needed physical page turn buttons. The device is very responsive and it's so much better for definitions and notes than using the scroller.

Edited by madcyantist, 16 October 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#3369 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

Went down to Chicago to see Mark Z Danielewski read The 50 Year Sword accompanied by a famous pianist (something O'reily). It was amazing!!!!! Granted i imported and read the book 7 years ago for a good chunk of change; so this "new release" of good wasn't new to me. If the recording of the night ever gets posted I'll share it. He read the entire book, took about an hour.

#3370 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Oh fuck, did it finally get re-released? I've wanted to read it for years but no way was I dropping a few hundred on what amounted to a novella.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3371 shadowkast

shadowkast

Lowball Ban

• Lowball Ban

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Oh fuck, did it finally get re-released? I've wanted to read it for years but no way was I dropping a few hundred on what amounted to a novella.

Today actually, $14.xx on Amazon. The ebook is really cool though too

#3372 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

What Happy People Know

Book about happiness and positive psychology. Oddly enough, it talks a lot about fear too.
Posted Image

#3373 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Finished The Blade Itself. Fantastic. Can't wait to continue with the series but I'm gonna take a real quick breather and blast through The Sisters Brothers first.

Posted Image
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Posted Image

#3374 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Finished up both Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. Absolutely fantastic. Of any American author, I'd say she has the most beautiful style and ability to create brilliant characters.

Moving on to The Assistant by Bernard Malamud and Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3375 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Finished Ashfall yesterday and thought it was a great book. Full of action and adventure for the most part, from the viewpoint of a 16 year old boy in the aftermath of a super volcano explosion. I'm now reading the sequel Ashen Winter.

#3376 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Finished Gauntlgrym and on to the second book in the trilogy.

Posted Image

Very good so far. Series is getting more interesting again since between book 1 here, and the last trilogy, Salvatore has
Spoiler

#3377 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Tweak, Nic Sheff....FANTASTIC !

#3378 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Just started this.
Lost. by Michael Robotham (Robot Ham! Ha!)
Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3379 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm reading The Princess Bride. After I finish I will definitely be watching the movie again. Good stuff.
Posted Image

#3380 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Finished The Sisters Brothers and on to book 2 of the fantastic First Law trilogy

Posted Image
Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie

Posted Image

#3381 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

I really liked the First Law trilogy too. Actually, I need to finish the thrid book.
Spoiler

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3382 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Reading Pet Semetary by S. King.

#3383 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Finished Neverwinter and on to book 3 in the trilogy.

Posted Image

#3384 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Finished Before They Are Hanged and on to Last Argument of Kings

Posted Image
Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Edited by Maklershed, 11 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

#3385 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Prince of Thorns.

Posted Image

Not bad, even if the main character is totally irredeemable, unlikable, and basically a complete monster. (Also a total Mary Sue. utterly flawless perfect character so far). Ultra-violent, if that's your thing. And all done with a calm indifference.

I also like the hints dropped that
Spoiler

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3386 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Starting Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Also starting Among Others by Jo Walton. She won the Nebula Award this year for the book. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3387 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Finished Before They Are Hanged and on to Last Argument of Kings ...

What do you think so far? I enjoyed the books for the the inquisitor character (Glotka, I believe), who was an original. I'll save overall thoughts for when you're done, just to prevent my getting spoilery.

I've taken a recent interest in the Discworld books. I've read three general recommendations as to how to dig in: 1) start chronologically (at #1), 2) start with one called Guards Guards, 3) start with one called Pyramids. Anyone care to support those starting points or propose his/her own?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3388 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

What do you think so far? I enjoyed the books for the the inquisitor character (Glotka, I believe), who was an original. I'll save overall thoughts for when you're done, just to prevent my getting spoilery.

I've taken a recent interest in the Discworld books. I've read three general recommendations as to how to dig in: 1) start chronologically (at #1), 2) start with one called Guards Guards, 3) start with one called Pyramids. Anyone care to support those starting points or propose his/her own?

Guards, Guards is a pretty good starting point. You could also start chronologically. The first few books focus mostly on Rincewind and the other wizards and witches. Some of the earlier books are pretty short (250 pages or so) but are still good.

Pyramids is a "solo" book but references some characters and locations from earlier books, not a bad book if I remeber correclty.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3389 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start in with Guards Guards (#8) and move forward, I figure it's the most common recommendation for a reason.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3390 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

Fantastic. I love it. I actually like it more than A Song of Ice and Fire. It seems to be more action based than filled with political intrigue. And the characters are great. And its paced really well. Whenever I get to the next chapter I'm thinking "Oh good I wonder what this person/people are up to". And yes, Glokta is awesome. I love the torture scenes (and for those of you reading this - no, its not graphic and I'm not a violence loving weirdo .. its great because
Spoiler
). :lol:

Posted Image