Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3391 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start in with Guards Guards (#8) and move forward, I figure it's the most common recommendation for a reason.

Actually, if you move forward you'll have to go back. Book #9 is Faust/Eric which is a Rincewind novel and has connections to the earlier Rincewind novels.

You could read the next book in the city watch series, which is Men at Arms after that if you want.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3392 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Started Cloud Atlas. I like the writing style, but damn it's flowery and I never used the Kindle's dictionary function so much before.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3393 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

I think I only got about 50 pages into "The Killing Moon" before I gave up.

Posted Image

Had an interesting premise but, it was due back to the library and it kinds tossed you right into the deep end of a pretty detailed world.
Book was written by a Sista, too. Shame.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3394 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

On the hard copy side of things I finished Thunderstruck and starting The Man in the High Castle

Posted Image
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Posted Image

#3395 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

On the hard copy side of things I finished Thunderstruck and starting The Man in the High Castle

Posted Image
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

I know this is considered a classic but it (along with most of Dick's novels) just did nothing for me.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3396 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Ubik and valis by Dick are the only two "excellent" books by Dick. The other stuff is average. I perfer his short stories, personally.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3397 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:14 AM

The only things I've ever read by Dick are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Humpty Dumpty in Oakland, and both were amazing in my eyes. Then again, I am critic and lover of speculative/imaginative fiction.

Anyway, about halfway done with Among Others by Jo Walton. Easily the best book I've read in a long time, and I'm not even finished.

Starting Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks shortly.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3398 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Previously I've only read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which I thought was pretty good. I'm enjoying The Man in the High Castle so far. Interesting premise.

Posted Image

#3399 Angie7F

Angie7F

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I only just joined the kindle bandwagon, and I found myself reading books like I used to when i was in highschool. (which is a lot).
I am reading the sequel to Wicked, and also a bunch of free classics just for the sake of reading.
I noticed my vocab has increased immensely thanks to the reading.

#3400 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:21 AM

Finished This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong last night. Much much darker and more cynical than John Dies At The End, but still quite good. Started The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z Danielewski on the bus to work this morning, and promptly finished it on the bus back tonight. Novellas are short.

Now I figure I'll pick up A Clash Of Kings and continue trying to work through that series. I've seen bits and pieces of the show now and it makes me want to read the books again.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3401 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Nice to hear good words about Full of Spiders. Been looking forward to that one.

Posted Image

#3402 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Yea, it's a good followup. It's a lot more focused (John Dies... felt like a handful of stories in a row, Spiders feels like a coherent plot) but a lot less humorous. If JDATE was a comedy-horror, TBIFOS is definitely a horror-comedy. It's downright mean at points as well. Still has some really funny moments.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3403 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

The Way Some People Die. by Ross MacDonald (probably about my 2nd or 3rd Lew archer book this year)
typical West Coast LA Noir stuff. Betrayls, families with hidden pasts, sappers, dames, corruption, etc.

Posted Image

Also, a pretty good early Yo La Tengo song.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3404 sirdan357

sirdan357

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

You guys should check out my short story. The details are in my sig. I'll do an Amazon GC giveaway if I can get past 100 in the rankings. If you could vote and leave a review on my author page about my story that would be great. It has a nice little gaming twist at the end so I think it's appropriate for the CAG community.

#3405 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

I finished Herzog. It was great. I started The Raw Shark Texts a few nights ago.

Trade List Games & DLC

#3406 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Finished The Last Argument of Kings / The First Law trilogy (amazing, fantastic, exciting, gripping, etc .. can't recommend it enough) and now on to Hull Zero Three

Posted Image
Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

Posted Image

#3407 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Finished Charon's Claw. Thought it was the weakest in the trilogy, but still pretty good.

Now reading:

Posted Image

#3408 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I need to request the Way of Kings and finish that off. I have a great number of other books ahead of it.

I've read lots by Greg Bear. (mostly his early stuff that was more "hard" science fiction. nothing lately where I think he's gone more literary and tried to appeal to a wider audience)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3409 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

1q84

#3410 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

The Desert Spear (Book two of the Demon Cycle)

Posted Image

It's pretty good, but focuses too much on some unecessary secondary characters where it could be pushing the plot and action forward.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3411 rhymenoceros

rhymenoceros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just finished these books. Awesome reading.
Hard to describe Shadow of the Wind...just a haunting and extremely well-written book about romance, secret libraries and mystery!
Ready Player One is just a fun book that appeals to the 80s children in us and video games.

#3412 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Finished Hull Zero Three. Didn't really care for it. A lot of it was just very bizarre and hard for me to understand. Back to the Abercrombie world with Best Served Cold

Posted Image
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Posted Image

#3413 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just finished these books. Awesome reading.
Hard to describe Shadow of the Wind...just a haunting and extremely well-written book about romance, secret libraries and mystery!
Ready Player One is just a fun book that appeals to the 80s children in us and video games.

Read both of these books earlier this year and I liked them both very much. The writing in The Shadow of the Wind is superb. Zafon really has a way with words to create a great setting. A true pleasure to read.

Currently working my way through The Fall of Giants by Ken Follet.
Xecutioner
CML

#3414 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Got about 80 pages into this. Don't really care about what's going on, and probably won't finish it.. Says it was the third book in the series. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. The characaters don't feel interesting, very little is happening and the author is trying too hard to be "hipster".
Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3415 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Finished up Among Others by Jo Walton. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is a fan of magic realism, very deserving of the Nebula award. Fantastic, real characters.

As for now, I am finishing up The Hobbit before the movie.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3416 gamingcamelcliente

gamingcamelcliente

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Total Recall, its the autobiography by Arnold Schwarzenegger. I only read the first half which centers around him being younger (<25), more when he was running small businesses and doing bodybuilding. It is a really great book if you're looking to get motivated and I earned a much higher respect for him after reading it. The second half more focuses on him in Hollywood and I kinda lost interest there but the first half was awesome.

#3417 JSoup

JSoup

CUSTOM USER TITLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Adding Ready Player One to my Amazon wishlist, thanks for that.

Finally getting around to digging into the Diablo Archive that I got a number of months ago.

vYKY.png

#3418 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

FINALLY finished A Dance with Dragons. Much better than A Feast For Crows in my opinion but DAMN does it drag in the middle.

Started The Great Gatsby on commute to work this morning. I'm trying to read some classics I was never made to read while growing up.

#3419 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Reads like a YA novel. Pretty simplistic. But not that bad. An easy read, and I should be done with it by tomorrow.
Marsbound. By Joe Haldeman. (I remember reading Forever War and enjoying it, but don't recall if I read Forever Peace or not)
Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3420 evantrees

evantrees

rejection and peace tiramisu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

currently 1/3 done with soulless

45 or so pages left in sword arts online vol 4
passable somewhat amusing

and about to start The dusk watchman : twilight reign book 5
maybe my favorite newer fantasy series I've read.
http://syndetics.com...75084995/MC.gif

and will probably start Cross the Stars and Lucifer vol 4 sometime after that.