Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3421 gamingcamelcliente

gamingcamelcliente

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Just started reading "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass... it's a more intense, less mainstream version of The Power of Now, and definitely what The Power of Now was based on...really eye opening book.

#3422 TruthinessFC

TruthinessFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Recently finished James Clavell's Tai-Pan, and Shogun before that. Both were pretty outstanding reads, thought I'll say Tai-Pan starts a bit slower.

Tai-Pan revolves around 19th century European opium traders settling Hong Kong, Shogun towards the end of medieval Japan.

Now Playing
:ps3: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
:pc: Dota 2, Diablo III: RoS, Heroes of the Storm

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

#3423 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.

#3424 Multibeaster79

Multibeaster79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just finished these books. Awesome reading.
Hard to describe Shadow of the Wind...just a haunting and extremely well-written book about romance, secret libraries and mystery!
Ready Player One is just a fun book that appeals to the 80s children in us and video games.

Just finished ready player one and wanted to drop in here and recommend it for anyone who grew up gaming in the 70s/80s or has a soft spot for golden age gaming. Great storytelling.

I've also finished the wool series by Hugh Howey (selfpub'd and would benefit from an editor). Read the first prequel and am halfway done with the second. Gonna probably stop with this one. The wool books were good, albeit slightly overwrought at times, but still entertaining.

I'm moving on to cloud Atlas next. Excited for this and not sure how I missed it.

#3425 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Just finished reading Cold Days by Jim Butcher (Book 14 of The Dresden Files) and I thought it awesome. Much better than the last book, although the overall tone of the series is changing.

Edited by kill3r7, 11 December 2012 - 07:57 PM.

Xecutioner
CML

#3426 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Nineteen Seventy Foure

Reads sort of like a British James Ellroy.
Posted Image

Once you make it past a bit of what seems like forced noir prose, it gets pretty good.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3427 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

I finished The Raw Shark Texts. I very much enjoyed it. I began reading Life by "Keef" a couple of days ago.

Trade List Games & DLC

Resells: Spec Ops The Line $2

GAMESHARE PHANTOMS:  Catherine $4 Tomb Raider $5 Darksiders II + DLC $5 Disney Brave - $5 Storm - $1 Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - $5 Rayman Legends - $8.50 NBA 2K14 $7

PS+ $40

#3428 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

On the Kindle side of things I finished Best Served Cold (phenomenal) and started Echoes of Earth

Posted Image
Echoes of Earth by Sean Williams

Posted Image

#3429 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I read that Echoes of Earth triology a few years ago. Pretty good, and it introduces some pretty far-out concepts too.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3430 razrvamp

razrvamp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Just finished the strain. Damn that was a good vampire book. Written by the same guy who wrote the town, one of my favorite heist movies. Who knew he did vampire books too

#3431 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Finished up re-reading The Hobbit. It's just as fantastic, engaging and wonderfully written as I remember.

I am now moving onto Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects by Christie Golden and Neuromancer by William Gibson.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3432 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

On the hard copy side I finished The Man in the High Castle and started The Lost City of Z

Posted Image
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

Posted Image

#3433 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

On the hard copy side I finished The Man in the High Castle

What did you think of it?

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3434 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I liked it but honestly I'm not sure I understood all of it. For example,
Spoiler

Posted Image

#3435 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

On the Kindle side I finished Echoes of Earth and started The Lost World

Posted Image
The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

On the hard copy side I finished The Lost City of Z and started An Idiot Abroad

Posted Image
An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington by Karl Pilkington

Posted Image

#3436 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchet.
Another Discworld book. Not bad, a bit more of the same but enjoyable.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3437 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Finished American Gods. Wasn't very impressed, thus took a while to slog through it.

On to:

Posted Image

#3438 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I'm reading The Hobbit since I didn't read any of the lotr books before seeing the films. I've seen the first part if The Hobbit already, and have to say I prefer the film. I I understand that the book was intended as a children's book, yes? If that's true, it shows. I especially so far do not like how the elves are portrayed. Like they're a bunch of silly children themselves, and not like the films more serious version.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#3439 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm reading The Hobbit since I didn't read any of the lotr books before seeing the films. I've seen the first part if The Hobbit already, and have to say I prefer the film. I I understand that the book was intended as a children's book, yes? If that's true, it shows. I especially so far do not like how the elves are portrayed. Like they're a bunch of silly children themselves, and not like the films more serious version.

Yeah, it was written as a children's book.

I don't care for it nearly as much as I do the LOTR books or The Silmarillion. Thus I was very happy that they decided to expand on the book in the movie with the White Council/Dol Goldur stuff that happened off page and stuff from the LOTR appendices.

Planning on seeing the first movie this week, probably tomorrow.

#3440 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I do wonder how they're getting 3 movies from such a short book. They must really plan to expand a good deal.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#3441 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm going to see the Hobbit this weekend so I just finished the Hobbit. Now I know this isn't the standard literature but I'm reading Thinking Recursively by Eric Roberts.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#3442 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I do wonder how they're getting 3 movies from such a short book. They must really plan to expand a good deal.

They did expand a lot, the movie really didn't drag at 2.5 hours. Jackson took the appendices from LOTR and basically showed you what happened during the Hobbit. In the book, for instance, Gandalf keeps disappearing but the dwarves just chalk it up to him being a wizard. In the appendices Tolkien talks about what he was doing during those times he was missing. In the film, Jackson just filled in the pieces in the correct timeline. He did it pretty flawlessly IMO too.

#3443 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

They did expand a lot, the movie really didn't drag at 2.5 hours. Jackson took the appendices from LOTR and basically showed you what happened during the Hobbit. In the book, for instance, Gandalf keeps disappearing but the dwarves just chalk it up to him being a wizard. In the appendices Tolkien talks about what he was doing during those times he was missing. In the film, Jackson just filled in the pieces in the correct timeline. He did it pretty flawlessly IMO too.

I'm hoping this trilogy does really well as that gives a chance that we will see the Similarion as a movie.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#3444 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

On the Kindle side I finished The Lost World and started Roadside Picnic

Posted Image
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky

On the hard copy side I finished An Idiot Abroad and started The Dispossessed

Posted Image
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

Posted Image

#3445 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

After playing and loving Metro 2033 I started the book. Pretty good about halfway in. The action is written sort of woodenly but the atmosphere is still cool.

#3446 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

I hope you enjoy The Dispossesed, Mak. It's personally my favorite Le Guin text. At least of her Science Fiction stuff.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3447 abhinav

abhinav

"Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Half way through Cloud Atlas. I got to the middle chapter with a lot of dialog from the Deep South and decided to take a break.

#3448 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

I read The Perks of Being A Wallflower in a day last week. My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye which I heard Perks compared to a lot. I'm not sure if it's because I read both after a major death in the family but I really enjoyed them. I've always been an introverted outsider so both are relatable.

Now I'm reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I saw the movie already which was crap but I'm enjoying the book. The book is a lot better and quite different.

I bought both of those books during the summer along with LA Confidential and 3 other books by the same author. LA Noire got me in that mood while playing it. I'll probably read those next. I think The Black Dahlia is the first in the series.

#3449 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Finished Roadside Picnic and starting The Old Man and the Wasteland

Posted Image
The Old Man and the Wasteland by Nick Cole

Posted Image

#3450 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I read The Perks of Being A Wallflower in a day last week. My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye which I heard Perks compared to a lot. I'm not sure if it's because I read both after a major death in the family but I really enjoyed them. I've always been an introverted outsider so both are relatable.

Now I'm reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I saw the movie already which was crap but I'm enjoying the book. The book is a lot better and quite different.

I bought both of those books during the summer along with LA Confidential and 3 other books by the same author. LA Noire got me in that mood while playing it. I'll probably read those next. I think The Black Dahlia is the first in the series.

James Ellroy is the author of LA Confidential. It's actually the first in his LA series. Black Dahllia is just stand alone. He's got some good autobiographical stuff as well if you want to read how messed he (thinks) is.
Noir as Fuck.
The writing and word pacing takes a while to get used to, but once you do, it's stuck in your head.
65 miles an hour. Down the read. Unstoppable..

MC-2SD-Out.png<