Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3451 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I finished Life by Keith Richards. It is a must read for any Stones' fan. Last night I started
And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder by Deborah Spungen.

Trade List Games & DLC

#3452 RobMinhas

RobMinhas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

I just(in the last week and a half) finished the five books of the Songs of Ice and Fire books(Game of thrones books). Liked them a lot, definitely my kind of books, anyone have any reccomendations for someone who enjoys those kind of books? I like all kinds of fiction but I'm a big fan of the medieval stuff especially.

I think I'll look into the Metro 2033 book, I liked the game, should be an interesting read.

#3453 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I just(in the last week and a half) finished the five books of the Songs of Ice and Fire books(Game of thrones books). Liked them a lot, definitely my kind of books, anyone have any reccomendations for someone who enjoys those kind of books? I like all kinds of fiction but I'm a big fan of the medieval stuff especially.

I think I'll look into the Metro 2033 book, I liked the game, should be an interesting read.

A really cool under appreciated fantasy series is The Saga of Recluse by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. It has some magic elements, but it doesn't have elves, dwarves and a lot of high fantasy things and focuses a lot on political dealings like Martin's books.

Metro 2033 is pretty good, the translation is rough, but the ideas are fleshed out in an interesting way.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3454 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

A really cool under appreciated fantasy series is The Saga of Recluse by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. It has some magic elements, but it doesn't have elves, dwarves and a lot of high fantasy things and focuses a lot on political dealings like Martin's books.

Metro 2033 is pretty good, the translation is rough, but the ideas are fleshed out in an interesting way.

Ugh. Not the saga of recluse. I read a few of them, and while the magic system is pretty good (strict rules for chaos and order in every aspect of lifei). It goes back to the same well every time.

There's like 15 books in the series, and I'd say maybe a third of them follow the trend of "Young boy/girl goes on a journey to discover their newly awakend powers. Powers that soon eclipse their elders."

Abercrombie The Third Law/King's Blade is a pretty good equiviliant to Song of Ice and Fire. Not as many characters/POV and politics but alot of bloody action and dark fantasy.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3455 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Ugh. Not the saga of recluse. I read a few of them, and while the magic system is pretty good (strict rules for chaos and order in every aspect of lifei). It goes back to the same well every time.

There's like 15 books in the series, and I'd say maybe a third of them follow the trend of "Young boy/girl goes on a journey to discover their newly awakend powers. Powers that soon eclipse their elders."

Abercrombie The Third Law/King's Blade is a pretty good equiviliant to Song of Ice and Fire. Not as many characters/POV and politics but alot of bloody action and dark fantasy.

I can see that. I only read 5 or 6 of them, so I can see it getting tired, but the magic system just seemed so original when I first read them.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3456 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'm 8 books into the Discworld series. Really enjoying it, it's fun, light reading but still smart (or rather, smart assed).

I disagree that the Third Law series is equivalent to SOIAF. It's more of a screen treatment than anything, those three books are all about action, and the further you go into them, the more characterization and detail get discarded in favor of the big, action filled climax. The good thing about them is that they're easy to tear through quickly. And Glotka.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3457 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

They're only equiviliant as they're both "low" fantasies (little magic, no other races) and both are pretty gritty/dark. Game of Thrones is focused more on characters and plots, while Third Law is more action oriented.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3458 Mr. Sax Appeal

Mr. Sax Appeal

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hey guys, just discovered this thread. I used to read all the time back in high school, but since I've been in college I found I haven't been nearly as much. I'd start books, but as I'd get into the semester I'd get sidetracked and never finish.

I just got a Kindle paperwhite for Christmas, and hopefully that will lead to me reading a lot more. I knew about it ahead of time, so I picked up some of the kindle daily deals beforehand.

I started Roadside Picnic earlier today, and currently I am about halfway through it; I'm really enjoying it so far, not bad at all for $2.

#3459 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Player of Games by Iain M Banks.
Another culture novel. Best one I've read so far. Unfortunately, it's about two weeks over due at the library and I may not get around to finishing it.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3460 thebob101

thebob101

Spaceknight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Here is a list of books you might enjoy:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan- 14 books starting with A New Spring and finishing with A Memory of Light which is being released on Jan. 8. Brandon Sanderson has penned the last three book (
Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson- It is the first book of his 10 book series, The Stornlight Archive
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss- The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear and the first two book in a three book series. The 3rd book is yet to be released.
Codex Alera by Jim Butcher- 6 books
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker is also good. Just the one book, but definitely a good read.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

I am currently playing the following games-
Xbox 360- Gears of War Judgment

I am currently watching the following shows -
Banshee & Spartacus
I am currently reading -
The Wheel of Time/A Memory of Light- Robert Jordan

#3461 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Finished, and really enjoyed, A Scanner Darkly.

On to:

Posted Image

#3462 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

My current read:

Posted Image
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#3463 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Finished up Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects by Christie Golden. Another excellent WoW novel from Golden. It's not nearly as character-driven as Arthas was, but it's still solid nonetheless.

Started up Neuromancer by William Gibson. About a quarter of the way through the book and it's fantastic.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3464 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

Finished Old Man and the Wasteland (great apocalypse story, especially if you're looking for something that's very Falloutish) and started The Heroes

Posted Image
The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

Posted Image

#3465 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

I stopped reading And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder for now. I became a bit bored with it. I will finish it later. I started reading Pillars of Earth. I'm about 8 chapters in & I like it thus far.

Trade List Games & DLC

#3466 Mr. Sax Appeal

Mr. Sax Appeal

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Finished Roadside Picnic and thought it was really good.

Now I'm reading The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

#3467 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Some good deals on Kindle books lately.

Under the Doom by Stephen King is the daily deal today at $1.99. Also grabbed 11/23/63 for $3.99. And a couple other books for $2.99 or so--Mystic River by Dennis Lehane and Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell.

The other day I got Neil Young's autobiography and a George Washington bio for $1.99 in an earlier daily deal.

#3468 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

11/23/63 was my favorite book from last year
Posted Image

#3469 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

28 books read last year. (And then some. I didnt count ones I didnt fully finish and I'm sure there's a few I forgot to add to good reads)

Made a thread for it. Feel free to add your stats to it.

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=335312

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3470 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

About the same for me. 26 with two in progress (The Color of Magic and Walking Dead Compendium Vol 2) that I may finish before the 1st.

Down from 41 finished last year.

#3471 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm on volume 8 (last one) of "Preacher". Fantastic graphic novel.

Not sure what I'll read next. Maybe some stuff on my Kindle.

#3472 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

61 books for me :whee:

Posted Image

#3473 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Goodreads is nice, but I wish when I rated a book an added it to my read shelf, it automatically included the "date read" as well. I always have to go back and edit that in. It doesn't post to my facebook with each book either. :sad:

Their recommendations aren't 100% useful either.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3474 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

a) All you have to do is click 'set today as date read'.

b) It posts to my activity feed automatically. Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Posted Image

#3475 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

a) All you have to do is click 'set today as date read'.

b) It posts to my activity feed automatically. Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

That requires an extra click. If I'm rating, and adding the book to my read (done) shelf, it should automatically set the date as date read.

Then again, sometimes I'm adding two or three books at once and I don't want them to all have the same "completed" date.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3476 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

Finished The Color of Magic. Enjoyed it a lot. Will definitely be reading more Discworld novels in the future, even made a Discworld collection on my Kindle. :D

On to:

Posted Image

#3477 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Bait and Switch by Barbara E. She did Nickeled and Dimed. Ho hum so far.
Posted Image

#3478 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan.

Posted Image

Eh. It's not bad. The writing is pretty simplistic. There's no flowery sentences or pages of description and narration.
And so much banter everyone banters. It's like I can see the characters turning their head to the camera and smirking ala Jim from the Office.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3479 Kotomine

Kotomine

私は日本人を知らない。

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Just finished Year Zero a few days ago.

Spoiler

Gonna start World War Z soon.

Spoiler

575x144_2-1.jpg
2011 Completed Games - 36 Games 2012 Completed Games - 29 Games 2013 Completed Games - 14... But it was more than that, I just stopped keeping track. 2014 Completed Games - ???
mfc80x15.png
I support the*Give Us Bikini Anya Movement.

#3480 Mr. Sax Appeal

Mr. Sax Appeal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

I finished the Color of Magic yesterday, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was planning on reading something else next, but now I'm going to start:
Posted Image