Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3541 mat1c

mat1c

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Roosh V - A Dead Bat In Paraguay

very funny, but also interesting on society and men/women relationships.

Its on Amazon.

#3542 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

I just finished a pair of novels from Daniel H. Wilson, whose background is in robotics: Robopocalypse and Amped (links below).

Critics are comparing him to early Michael Crichton. I don't know if I'd go that far, but his writing is very visual (to the point where Dreamworks has already optioned Robopocalypse). He also takes time to (in Amped anyway) to make the world seemingly as realistic as possible through news reports, government documents and other means. The technology is all rooted in science fact but still years away from becoming reality. But both novels are more about our humanity, or in Amped the struggle to maintain humanity, with the tech taking the back seat just to set the scenes.

http://www.amazon.co...61001443&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co...pd_bxgy_b_img_y

#3543 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

I just picked that up in paperback from a library sale. Good to see someone else liked it.

It really makes you think about the "other side". A great look at stolen youth.

Trade List Games & DLC

Resells: Spec Ops The Line $2

GAMESHARE PHANTOMS:  Catherine $4 Tomb Raider $5 Darksiders II + DLC $5 Disney Brave - $5 Storm - $1 Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - $5 Rayman Legends - $8.50 NBA 2K14 $7

PS+ $40

#3544 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Stephen Brust: The Paths of the Dead

A sequel to 500 years later, and prologue to the Vlad Taltos novels.
Written as a homage, and in the style of Alexander Dumas; Three Musketeers novels, (which takes a bit of getting used to. And makes me want to read those novels)

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3545 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just finished Ready Player One (AMAZING) and then breezed through Ellen Degeneres' book Seriously...I'm Kidding for fun.

Might stick with the autobio/nonfiction for a bit and read Olivia Munn's autobio before I go back into fiction.

Was thinking of reading the Darth Plagueis book by James Luceno. Anyone read it?

#3546 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Just finished Ready Player One (AMAZING)

Agreed. Fantastic book, and it stirred many good 80s memories. Some of my iconic movies, shows, music and even D&D modules made an appearance. The writer must've had a very similar childhood. You know Ernest Cline is one of the guys who penned Fanboys, right?

#3547 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Since my last post I have finished several books.

Me Talk Pretty One Day (Meh)

I've been a huge David Sedaris fan since I first heard "The Santaland Diaries" on NPR. I gave out about fifteen copies of Holidays on Ice to friends and family when it came out in hardback.

I can see if you're new to his writing it would seem a little Meh because he casually assumes in later collections you already know quite a bit about the people he mentions, like his sister Amy and boyfriend Hugh.

#3548 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Agreed. Fantastic book, and it stirred many good 80s memories. Some of my iconic movies, shows, music and even D&D modules made an appearance. The writer must've had a very similar childhood. You know Ernest Cline is one of the guys who penned Fanboys, right?

WHAAAAAT! That's awesome! I love that movie. I look forward to his next book whatever it may be.

#3549 chaosbob86

chaosbob86

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Currently reading my networking + book. Yay me.

I'm reading my A+ book and was gonna do net + after, is it hard or confusing? Thanks

#3550 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Finished Foundation and Earth and started Make Room! Make Room! (aka Soylent Green)

Posted Image
Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison

Posted Image

#3551 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

Finished Make Room! Make Room! and I can't recommend it enough. The first 5 star book I've read in a while. In addition to having what I feel is a great message about birth control, conservation, and the environment, it's also an all around great semi-apocalypse story. As some people familiar with these threads / my posts might possibly know, I'm a huge post-apocalypse nut and this book scares me the most because it jives with my guess at how the world (as we know it) could possibly end. Not with an asteroid, or a black hole, or an alien invasion, or volcanic eruption, or massive earthquake, or nuclear bomb - but with over population and consumption of natural resources past the breaking point towards a slow collapse of society in general. Its really tragic that this book got turned into a movie where the only thing that people know about the story is that 'soylent green is people' (a fact not even mentioned in the book). Make Room! Make Room is $5.38 for the Kindle version on Amazon right now and I highly recommend it.

Started Dune Messiah

Posted Image
Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Posted Image

#3552 Relentless Sheep

Relentless Sheep

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Just finished reading Entropy by Pynchon and I have to say that was unbelievable!

#3553 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Finished Dune Messiah and started Red Country

Posted Image
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

Posted Image

#3554 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Oh man, nearly two weeks since I started reading my last book. I need to stop playing on my phone during breaks at work and finish reading. (Also need to stop working at work and start reading)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3555 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

I am mad scientist, it so cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

Reading the School Rumble manga. Got it cheap from gohastings, and LOVED the anime, so I figured "why not?". Really like it so far. I haven't read a ton of manga, but this one sticks really close to the anime, and is really funny. Makes me want to watch the show again:bouncy:
There's not a lot of logic to it. It's kind of like on a boat with "Women and children first."
I mean, why should they...

#3556 piwit

piwit

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

can we include here some MANGA staff??

#3557 piwit

piwit

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

I just finished Hakime no IPPO..

hahaha..thats 1000+ episodes as of now..

#3558 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Taking a quick time out from Red Country and reading Raised Eyebrows based on Wombat's recommendation on the latest CAGcast

Posted Image
Raised Eyebrows: My Years Inside Groucho's House by Steve Stoliar

Posted Image

#3559 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'd read that. I love the Marx Brothers.

Finished Paths of the Dead. Onto By Force of Arms.

I think it's the fourth book of a series? That I maybe read the prequel to a couple years ago (and no other books in the series). So it's a little confusing, but it's military sci-fi stuff so it's not that complicated. And it's short.

Posted Image
http://www.goodreads...y_Force_of_Arms

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3560 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Finished Raised Eyebrows and back to Red Country.

Posted Image

#3561 mkultra

mkultra

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

Almost done with World War Z by Max Brooks.

The next book I'm going to start reading is: The Neuropathology of Zombies by Peter Cummings and M. Joseph Schuhler Jr.

I love all things zombie since my older brother made me watch the original Dawn of the Dead as a child.

#3562 cleaver

cleaver

You have 0 friends

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

American Gods, before that The Man in the High Castle which gets my highest recommendation
The trade list is long, but distinguished.
http://theskinnypost.blogspot.com
Posted Image
This would be a fine death... if I hadn't run out of tokens.

#3563 Canadian_Man

Canadian_Man

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Nietzsche's Beyond Good & Evil

Granted I've only started reading for leisure a year or so ago, this was the best book I have ever read :applause:

#3564 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Finished Red Country and started L.A Noire: The Collected Stories

Posted Image
L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories by Rockstar Games

Posted Image

#3565 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Finished L.A. Noire and started The Big Sleep

Posted Image
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Posted Image

#3566 jedipimping

jedipimping

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Just finished latest book in the Dresden Files. Thinking of rereading "Ready Player One" for a third time, or "Second Shift" in the Wool universe.

Edited by jedipimping, 21 March 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#3567 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Finished The Big Sleep and starting Farewell, My Lovely

Posted Image
Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler

Posted Image

#3568 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

How was the L.A. Noire book, Mak? I've never been a fan of Video Game books aside from Knaak and Golden's Warcraft books, but I am intrigued by it.

As more, I wrapped up Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age, Or a Young Girl's Illustrated Primer." It's right up there with Hyperion, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Neuromancer as some of the best character-driver Science Fiction. Even better than Snow Crash, and that was amazing as well.

Probably going to start to start in on Wolfheart by Richard A. Knaak now for some fluff reading to contrast the insane amount of Rhetoric I have to read for school coming up this week.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3569 mxwise

mxwise

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

Now that the Wheel of Time series is complete can anyone who's read it give me their opinion of the series? I'm trying to decide if I should pick it up.

#3570 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

How was the L.A. Noire book, Mak? I've never been a fan of Video Game books aside from Knaak and Golden's Warcraft books, but I am intrigued by it.

Well worth the 99 cents. All the stories in it though short are good. I'd definitely recommend it.

Posted Image