Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3571 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Chandler is great. I've read everything by him. (except that one posthumous novel and some of the short stories).

In fact, usually anything published by Black Lizard is guaranteed to be some good noir/mystery fiction.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3572 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Started (and finished 3 days later)

Nocturne by Ed McBain
Posted Image

First thing I've read by him. It's pretty generic but still moves at a good pace and the characters aren't weighted down with tacked on drama and back story. Cops are straight out of Law and Order.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3573 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Finished Farewell, My Lovely and started The Black Dahlia

Posted Image
The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

Also going through A Clash of Kings again to refresh me for season 3 on Sunday

Posted Image
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Posted Image

#3574 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Bitterwood by James Maxey

Posted Image

It's an interesting concept, where dragons rule and humans are used as slave labor. But the writing is pretty cheesy (and I'm only 100 pages in)
"He raised his head to the sky and thundered in frustration. Bitterwood!!"

The dragons aren't really written like they're giant winged dragons, either. All the writing of them talking and acting like humans has me picturing them as, well, humans.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3575 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think I'm going to finally dive into the Wheel of Time series now that it's done. Wish me luck!

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3576 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Dove back into fiction after a long stint of reading bios.

I am absolutely LOVING this book. Reminds me of The Prophecy.

http://harperlibrary...2d515970c-200wi

#3577 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Finished The Black Dahlia and started The Big Nowhere

Posted Image
The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy

Posted Image

#3578 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Robbie's Wife by Russell Hill.

Noir-esque. Although more on the 'repressed desires, and women who will do you wrong' side of noir than the crime/murder side. Short book and kinda slow moving.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3579 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Finished The Big Nowhere and taking a brief breather from the LA Quartet with Masters of Doom

Posted Image
Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture by David Kushner

Posted Image

#3580 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Brass Man by Neal Asher.

Posted Image
http://www.goodreads...14091.Brass_Man

Which I guess is book #3 in a series? Hopefully I'll be able to follow along without reading the other two. There was nothing on the cover to indicate this was book #3 and I had read other things by Asher that take place in the same universe, just not with this character.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3581 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Finished World of Warcraft: Wolfheart by Richard A. Knaak. Not his best WoW novel, but certainly not his worst.

Starting The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Marukami.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3582 Revixe06

Revixe06

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

The Walking Dead

Posted Image
612937.png

Amazon Student (6 Months of FREE Amazon Prime)
* .edu email address required

#3583 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Finished Masters of Doom and on to L.A. Confidential

Posted Image
L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy

Posted Image

#3584 Greybeard

Greybeard

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

I just finished Robopocalpse; quick read and a blast if you are into Sci-Fi. Spielberg bought the film rights so if you read it now you can complain about how much better the book is when the movie comes out..

#3585 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

I know his writing is a mixed bag here on CAG, but I'm reading Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris.

#3586 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Just finished Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim. Absolutely loved it...it's like The Prophecy meets The Dresden Files.

Started reading The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly this week. So far so good...has a Gaimen vibe a little.

I know his writing is a mixed bag here on CAG, but I'm reading Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris.

I really enjoy Sedaris when he's on This American Life reading his stories but for some reason, I just can't get into the flow of his books.

#3587 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:21 AM

Started reading on the bus again and finally got around to finishing A Clash Of Kings. Going to start The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo next.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3588 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

I finished reading "Stalin's Spy." It's about Richard Sorge, who managed to run a Soviet spy ring in Tokyo, while he was working with the Nazis.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#3589 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

About 18 months after finishing the second book I finally remember to get the third and final novel in the first law trilogy from the library.

Posted Image
http://www.goodreads...gument_of_Kings

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3590 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Currently nearing the end of a re-read of A Clash of Kings

Posted Image
A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Also, while on vacation I finished

L.A. Confidential
Posted Image
L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy

White Jazz
Posted Image
White Jazz by James Ellroy

Escape from Camp 14
Posted Image
Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden

Posted Image

#3591 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Halfway through Stephen King's Under The Dome now, in preparation for the TV adaptation. Reading 11/22/63 next since JJ Abrams just optioned it for development.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#3592 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

^ Both are great.

Posted Image

#3593 kalilyrr

kalilyrr

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:37 AM

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

#3594 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Blackout (Book 3 of the Newsflesh Trilogy) written by Mira Grant (pen name?)

Edited by madcyantist, 07 May 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#3595 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

http://www.amazon.co...-hour bookstore

The curious goings-on at the bookstore draw you in to the mystery, but the ending is just a little bit of a letdown. That said, I enjoyed the characters (and seem to know a few of them in real life - ha!). The mix of the old (books) with the new (computers, Google, data visualization, etc), with a 500-year-old cult make it a unique page turner.

#3596 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Finished up The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo yesterday on the bus and wanted to start The Hunger Games but it turns out the copy I have is corrupted and has a lot of broken formatting and repeated lines. Disappointing. I ended up starting A Storm Of Swords instead since the missus and I just started watching the show.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3597 raiden_86

raiden_86

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

About 300 pages into A Storm of Swords, I feel I'm just a few chapters from being caught up to the show. I hear they stuck pretty close to the source material with the first two seasons, but it seems the differences are starting to stack up with the book and TV show. Great read thou.

#3598 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just finished The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly this week. A pretty fun and quick read. Gaimenesque + fairy tales. I'd recommend if you're looking for a light read.

Just started Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer. Only a little bit in but I'm loving the way he writes.

#3599 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Finished my reread of a Clash of Kings. Started Mistborn book 2 Well of Ascension

Posted Image
The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Posted Image

#3600 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

I just finished Prophet of Bones. It popped up on my "recommended" titles from Amazon's algorithm, and the first testimonial was from Daniel H Wilson (author of Robopocalypse and Amped) so I'm sure that's why it was recommended for me. The author, Ted Kosmatka, is a full-time writer for Valve software, so this should be enough for CAGers to want to check out this title.

The premise was curious enough (in a bizarro alternate universe, science has proven through carbon dating that the Earth is only about 6000 years old, but a new fossil discovery threatens to shake the foundations of science) and reading some of the reviews hooked me.

I'll admit I enjoyed the thriller aspect. The author kept it tense and riveting and pretty bloody. It didn't end where I thought it was going, but where it did end seemed a little derivative. I wanted to see more of the conflict between religion (and the politicians religion conspired with to maintain the status quo) and science (even more shady than the politicians).

It's an easy read (finished it in a day) but one that I'll probably go back to. Here's a link to the hardcover on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...rophet of bones .

Here's a testimonial that pretty much sums this up: "Prophet of Bones is what happens when you start with a foundation of Harry-Turtledove-style alternate-history science fiction, throw in some Dan-Brown-ian theology-tinged conspiracy theory, add a dash of Jurassic-Park-era Michael-Crichton-esque bio-thriller and top it all off with some Elmore-Leonard-y dark humor. The result is some truly unique – and uniquely awesome—classification-defying, boundary-pushing fiction, and I, for one, couldn’t be more thrilled."—criminalelement.com