Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3601 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

For those of you that like post-apocalypse and have a Kindle, there's a great deal on Amazon right now: The Wool Omnibus and The Shift Omnibus (sequel to Wool) are both $1.99 today.

Posted Image

#3602 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Currently going through a bunch of old issues of Dragon Magazine, writing down any fantasy, scifi, or horror titles that they cite in any interesting articles and then going through those books. I've been discovering some really old, cool stuff.

#3603 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Really hadnt' been reading much the past few months.

Finally finished Washington: A Life that I started back in January and had been slogging through. I'd recommend sticking with His Excellency by Joseph Ellis for anyone interested in a Washington bio. It's a much shorter and easier read, and I don't feel like I really know more about Washington after reading Chernow's book--just really bogged down with details and description.

After that I read Phoenix, a recent short story from Chuck Palahniuk that was decent, quick read.

Now reading:

Posted Image

Wanted to read it before seeing the movie next month.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#3604 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Have been forgetting to post here.

Have finished two books:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And am currently reading:
Undertow by Elizabeth Bear

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3605 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

Finished Well of Ascension the other day and started The Martian this morning

Posted Image
The Martian by Andy Weir

Posted Image

#3606 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Finished The Martian yesterday and started American Tabloid

Posted Image
American Tabloid by James Ellroy

Posted Image

#3607 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

On the hard copy side of things I've finished The Chase and started Under the Black Flag.

Posted Image
Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly

Posted Image

#3608 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

If you're looking for another pirate no-fiction, I enjoyed Empire of Blue Water.

I just finished The Long Walk. For a book that is basically everyone walking, I found it surprisingly good and hard to put down. I've now started on The Doomsday Book.

#3609 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Put everything on hold yesterday to read Joyland

13596166.jpg
      Joyland by Stephen King

Posted Image

#3610 Mandy I Am

Mandy I Am

Mew Lickens

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Acacia: The War With The Mein by David Anthony Durham.

http://www.amazon.co...r with the mein

Edited by Mandy I Am, 05 June 2013 - 10:34 PM.

Wicked DJ Network: www.wickeddjs.com

#3611 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Feel free to add me on goodreads.

http://www.goodreads...5275090-matthew

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3612 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

http://www.goodreads..._Graveyard_Book

#3613 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

On the hard copy side of things I've finished The Chase and started Under the Black Flag.

49851.jpg
Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly

I don't know if you're into econ, but one of my favorite professors Peter Leeson, wrote an awesome book called "The Invisible Hook", that has some awesome insight into the way pirates governed themselves, set up incentives and other econ topics.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#3614 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

Finished Joyland and back to American Tabloid / Under the Black Flag / The Maltese Falcon

49851.jpg

I don't know if you're into econ, but one of my favorite professors Peter Leeson, wrote an awesome book called "The Invisible Hook", that has some awesome insight into the way pirates governed themselves, set up incentives and other econ topics.

Despite being a business major I'm not too into econ but that does actually sound quite fascinating. I've added it to my Kindle wishlist.

Posted Image

#3615 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm more in to non-fiction, so I'm currently reading "The Lion of Jordan: The Life of King Hussein in War and Peace", by Avi Shlaim. He references a guy's book who acknowledged me in his book, which is pretty cool. Plus, I'm a big Avi Shlaim fan.

#3616 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

Starting the Mistborn series today.

51E%2B7V-PDyL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arro

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3617 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm reading Cooked- A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan.  It's a very interesting book about how we view and treat food.  It takes about half an hour to make a meal (or meals), and yet we choose to spend that time consuming processed foods and entertainment. If only I read this book earlier, I would've gone to last weekend's Barbeque event in Madison Square Park.

Batsugunner.png

#3618 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Finished American Tabloid and started Caliban's War

12591698.jpg
      Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey

Posted Image

#3619 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Just finished A Storm Of Swords and it was easily the best book so far.  Now onto Foundation And Empire by Isaac Asimov.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3620 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Reading Banksy: The Man Behind the Wall. Pretty interesting as a primer for Banksy as well as graffiti culture.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#3621 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

Finished Foundation And Empire on the bus yesterday.  Decided to start on a "classic" I've had lying around and will begin Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince on the bus Monday.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3622 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Finished Caliban's War on Friday and started Abaddon's Gate

12591719.jpg
      Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey

Posted Image

#3623 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Finished The Martian yesterday and started American Tabloid

36064.jpg
American Tabloid by James Ellroy

I'm on a James Ellroy kick right now. Last summer I bought his LA Quartet after playing through LA Noire. I finished The Black Dahlia a couple weeks ago and am 1/3 through The Big Nowhere. On the back it says American Tabloid was TIME's novel of the year in 1995. I was thinking of buying it. How is it?

#3624 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Finished Calculating God by Robert Sawyer.  It's an interesting view of looking at "The Creator" that I never even thought of.  At times it does get a little too scientific even for me but overall good book.

Started The Magicians by Lev Grossman.  I'm about 30% into the book on my Kindle and I just can't get into it.  I don't care about any of the characters in the book.  I've been told it's like Harry Potter but for adults but I feel that the author has just drained out all of the fun and wonder of a magic school.  The characters are just really depressing and down.  Someone tell me it gets a better!!!!

#3625 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

On the hard copy side I just started Empire Falls

187020.jpg
      Empire Falls by Richard Russo

I'm on a James Ellroy kick right now. Last summer I bought his LA Quartet after playing through LA Noire. I finished The Black Dahlia a couple weeks ago and am 1/3 through The Big Nowhere. On the back it says American Tabloid was TIME's novel of the year in 1995. I was thinking of buying it. How is it?

It was decent but nothing to write home about imo. I absolutely loved the LA Quartet - the stories, the setting, the characters. But I didn't *love* much about this book. I thought it was schizophrenic, with a very cynical tone and unnecessary body count. Having said that though, its competently written and I can see why some people would really like it. I might be judging the book unfairly though because what I wanted was more LA Quartet and this is not that.

Posted Image

#3626 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Finished The Prince this morning and decided to try and finish Marquis De Sade's Philosophy In The Bedroom.  It's rough going, but I want it done.

#3627 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

It was decent but nothing to write home about imo. I absolutely loved the LA Quartet - the stories, the setting, the characters. But I didn't *love* much about this book. I thought it was schizophrenic, with a very cynical tone and unnecessary body count. Having said that though, its competently written and I can see why some people would really like it. I might be judging the book unfairly though because what I wanted was more LA Quartet and this is not that.

Thanks for the response! I'll have to adjust my expectations since I was thinking it would be similar to the quartet too. If I do read it it'll be awhile after I finish the 4.

#3628 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Finished Abaddon's Gate yesterday and started These is My Words

348225.jpg
      These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Posted Image

#3629 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Fiending really hard for any sort of Blade Runner / Deus Ex HR / Total Recall 2012esque  cyberpunk right now so I'm putting all books I was currently reading on hold to read Altered Carbon which I understand might scratch my itch

40445.jpg
      Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan

Posted Image

#3630 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Finished World War Z the other day.  Liked it, but didn't love it.  Well written, but I like books with a more unified story.

Now reading:

51Hr7Z%2BcNCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection